Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Not exactly closed, if you travel from an orange zone to a red zone there won't be restrictions but when you return to the orange zone you will have to self quarantine for 14 days,

How long before they restrict travel to and from red zones?

They did it earlier this year, with only a few infections, so I'm sure it's on the books now

Edited by Susco

1 minute ago, polpott said:

More than enough. Further businesses would reopen as demand grew,

I have no doubt, over time, businesses would open to cater for increasing demand, but I would suggest that's years away, not as soon as quarantine is lifted.

Some hard core mongers will be the first back, but many will not want to come back while Pattaya is in such a depleted state. 

Why would they spend their hard earned on a holiday to a place that is no where near back to pre covid conditions?    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, polpott said:

Not exactly closed, if you travel from an orange zone to a red zone there won't be restrictions but when you return to the orange zone you will have to self quarantine for 14 days,

The member said he will be returning to Pattaya in January sometime.  One incubation period (2 weeks) can make  a big difference in what happens on the ground.  look how quickly this spike in cases and lock down occurred. 

Edited by Leaver

9 minutes ago, Susco said:

How long before they restrict travel to and from red zones?

They did it earlier this year, with only a few infections, so I'm sure it's on the books now

Prayut is having a meeting with the CCSA tomorrow so it could be as soon as Monday or maybe not. There's no way of second guessing these people, they can't even second guess themselves.

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Provincial borders may be closed. 

Yeah, that's a worry for me, still i have a couple of months to play with. If worst comes to worst I just go home I suppose, that might be a blessing in disguise, since my state pension becomes payable this year, and reestablishing UK residency might be good in the long term, 6 months in the UK and 6 months in Thailand I can live with. It's gonna be weird going back to a country I haven't seen in like 15 years. Wonder what the flight costs will be in this brave new world.

22 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have no doubt, over time, businesses would open to cater for increasing demand, but I would suggest that's years away, not as soon as quarantine is lifted.

Some hard core mongers will be the first back, but many will not want to come back while Pattaya is in such a depleted state. 

It won't be years but a matter of months away once quarantine is lifted, but I guess we'll have to disagree on that, just a matter of opinion.

However, I do take exception to Pattaya being in such a depleted state. I've literally been having the time of my life since normality returned to Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, polpott said:

It won't be years but a matter of months away once quarantine is lifted, but I guess we'll have to disagree on that, just a matter of opinion.

However, I do take exception to Pattaya being in such a depleted state. I've literally been having the time of my life since normality returned to Pattaya.

I think there will be an initial rush, like I say, the hard core mongers, but other than that, it will lower than low season for some years to come, post covid, for establishments catering for westerners.  I hope I am wrong, because it's the variety and choice in hospitality that I like about Pattaya. 

I doubt tourists would agree that Pattaya, in a depleted state, is more desirable than pre covid.

Edited by Leaver

5 minutes ago, Nout said:

Pattaya effectively closed down yesterday with police raiding and closing places as far afield as Pratumnak to Walking Street.  Sadly, for the time being this thread is now redundant.

I disagree.

This lock down will end, as the previous one did, but bar and restaurant closures are permanent.  

This latest lock down will no doubt knock some more businesses out of the game.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Thanks for your perspective as an outsider looking in.

What would Pattaya have to look like for you to decide not to return here until things were better.  I don't mean at present, with the lock down, I mean once vaccines have been rolled out, globally, and planes take to the sky.  

People have different expectations of their holiday to Pattaya.  As Pattaya continues to change, due to economic hardship and closures, many may defer a holiday here for a few years.  

Good question - not entirely sure but something like:

My regular hotel complete with its pool up and running. Lazing in the sun during a UK winter has always been part of the attraction.

Enough bars open to at least have a "few beers"

Enough restaurants open to at least enjoy going out to eat....for me these do NOT have to be Farang  style - Thai food is just one of my "reasons to be there"

Gentlemen's Clubs up and running - from what I read on "another forum" they have kept going

Massage shops open -  I'm in touch with a couple of ladies....

Don't care about Walking Street or Gogos anywhere - got bored of them years ago.

And the option to resume my travels to other parts of Thailand - I have friends North and South of Pattaya which is not "the only game in town"

But there might be other considerations - as I said earlier, I'm "Waiting and seeing"  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VBF said:

My regular hotel complete with its pool up and running. Lazing in the sun during a UK winter has always been part of the attraction.

Enough restaurants open to at least enjoy going out to eat....for me these do NOT have to be Farang  style - Thai food is just one of my "reasons to be there"

Gentlemen's Clubs up and running - from what I read on "another forum" they have kept going

Don't care about Walking Street or Gogos anywhere - got bored of them years ago.

And the option to resume my travels to other parts of Thailand - I have friends North and South of Pattaya which is not "the only game in town"

But there might be other considerations - as I said earlier, I'm "Waiting and seeing"  

Fair play.

It will be a judgement call for most. 

Unfortunately, starting up tourism here is a long way off.    

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, VBF said:

I reiterate entertainment places have been closed down including G clubs. The K closed voluntarily. The P was raided and shut down today. I presume the the BJ bars around Buakhao which refer to themselves as G clubs are also closed. For the time being restaurants are open.

34 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I disagree.

This lock down will end, as the previous one did, but bar and restaurant closures are permanent.  

This latest lock down will no doubt knock some more businesses out of the game.    

You would disagree. However, when the lockdown ends many of the 'temporary' closures will be found to be permanent. As 99% of bars are closed currently this thread is redundant. Alternatively we can wait three months or more and then respond accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Nout said:

I reiterate entertainment places have been closed down including G clubs. The K closed voluntarily. The P was raided and shut down today. I presume the the BJ bars around Buakhao which refer to themselves as G clubs are also closed. For the time being restaurants are open.

I think most are aware of what is closed, due to the lock down, but what many will be interested in is what is closed permanently, and with each month that passes we see more and more getting knocked out of the game.  

15 minutes ago, Nout said:

when the lockdown ends many of the 'temporary' closures will be found to be permanent.

Sure, but readers are interested in the names of permanently closed establishments. 

People have their "favourites" and would like information if they are still operating, or maybe moved location, or mothballed.  

As 99% of bars are closed currently this thread is redundant.

Depending on how long this lock down lasts, we could see announcements of permanent closures within lock down, which is relevant to this thread.

Alternatively we can wait three months or more and then respond accordingly.

How do you know this lock down will last 3 months?   

Edited by Leaver

45 minutes ago, Nout said:

Yes indeed but if you re-read, my response was in answer to a question about what it will take for me to return in future. "In future" is  clearly indeterminate at present.

My comment "Gentlemen's Clubs up and running - from what I read on "another forum" they have kept going" is moot at present anyway but in reality, I may well be a day or 6 out of date.

They certainly were running at the end of December before the latest "lockdown". The other forum, a somewhat "addictive" one  ???? concentrates on areas that ThaiVisa  prefers us not to discuss.

From afar, I have to take my information where I find it.

Still "waiting and seeing" ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, swissie said:

I am a "monger", and very proud of it.

So am I.

8 minutes ago, swissie said:

The re-start of Pattaya will take less time than most people think. "Market-Forces" will react quickly, as soon a viable "light at the end of the tunnel" becomes visible.

There has to be two "lights" shining at the end of the tunnel.  One, being vaccinated and allowed to leave your own country, and two, Thailand vaccinating a high percentage of the population, thus opening borders and allowing entry. 

To date, what plan do we have from Thailand for this?  They announced 2 million doses available in February.  That's no where near enough to open borders.  

You could be looking at 2022 before tourists are able to come and go from Thailand.

To add to this, you have flights, travel insurance, visas, paperwork etc.  

This is not going to end any time soon.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So am I.

There has to be two "lights" shining at the end of the tunnel.  One, being vaccinated and allowed to leave your own country, and two, Thailand vaccinating a high percentage of the population, thus opening borders and allowing entry. 

To date, what plan do we have from Thailand for this?  They announced 2 million doses available in February.  That's no where near enough to open borders.  

You could be looking at 2022 before tourists are able to come and go from Thailand.

To add to this, you have flights, travel insurance, visas, paperwork etc.  

This is not going to end any time soon.  

I hear you and unfortunately you are right.

Yes, 2 lights necessary. Light Nr 1, I can do. Light Nr 2 (the Thai-Light) is a problem.

Travelling by Banana-Boat, and entering Pattaya-Beach camouflaged as a member of a Thai fishing vessel at 4 AM is the solution. On second thought, rather not. Rats!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, swissie said:

I am a "monger", and very proud of it.

Everybody has his own "back to Pattaya" strategy, I guess. For me: As soon as the quarantaine thing is history, I will look for a flight. (Already got my first vaccination). Other remaining entry obstacles I would be willing to cope with.
- Over the last 23 years, I have known Pattaya only as turbo "funky-town". The thought, to experience Pattaya "depleted" (for a change), I find interesting. To be added as another "life-experience".
Although I am confident, that even a "depleted" Pattaya still offers more entertainment than my home-town in the middle of Europe in the best of times.:smile:
-----------
Also: The re-start of Pattaya will take less time than most people think. "Market-Forces" will react quickly, as soon a viable "light at the end of the tunnel" becomes visible.
The world (including Thailand) is awash with financial liquidity. Someones loss of today, will be someones gain tomorrow. Unfortunately, the "gainers" will most likely be the already well capitalised members of society, not the small retailers in Pattaya, that can not re-finance their business, scraping "the bottom of the barrel" already.

Totally agree with this . My end of the scale (the so called family friendly destination)  will be hit harder then any other market . We only get a certain amount of holidays usually 3-4 weeks if anyone thinks we are going to spend any of that time in quarantine then they are crazy . 

Confused with the Bangkok shutdown classification of entertainment venues and restaurants. Are pubs that sell food closed? Like the O'Malleys Irish Pub or for example

Edited by Whale

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Provincial borders may be closed. 

At the moment there are no closures that I have heard of. But one has to be mindful of rural areas where in a small village, a local head man (Poo-Yai-Bahn    or something like that) can impose rules. Just heard of someone in my Mrs village who had to cancel a wedding, as Poo Yai would not allow the groom to enter and stay in the village as he felt he was coming from an infected region. They have guys on the road that passes through at each end. Those known are allowed in, and I believe travelers can pass through without stopping, but others turned back. 

14 hours ago, swissie said:

Yes, 2 lights necessary. Light Nr 1, I can do. Light Nr 2 (the Thai-Light) is a problem.

They have no real policy in place for vaccine purchase and rolling it out to the population. 

Even though a large percentage of Thailand's tourism market will be vaccinated over the next 18 to 24 months, their country may not allow them to travel to Thailand for a holiday, because Thailand is lagging behind with their vaccination program.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

At the moment there are no closures that I have heard of. But one has to be mindful of rural areas where in a small village, a local head man (Poo-Yai-Bahn    or something like that) can impose rules. Just heard of someone in my Mrs village who had to cancel a wedding, as Poo Yai would not allow the groom to enter and stay in the village as he felt he was coming from an infected region. They have guys on the road that passes through at each end. Those known are allowed in, and I believe travelers can pass through without stopping, but others turned back. 

Ordering the shut down of bars, restaurants, shops etc goes  long way to stopping the spread, but once a hotspot has developed, it need to be geographically quarantined.  If they are not prepared to put in proper check points, backed up by proper enforcement, then curfew, even in the daytime, is inevitable.  

• Like 1

Been announced that Tahitian Queen on Beach Road has closed, possibly for good.

Only rumours to why at the moment, but it looks like the Landlord did not want to reduce what they were paying for rent, and lets be honest its on prime real estate there, so can you blame him?

Another GoGo that probably should have moved when they had a chance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Refusing to lower the rent during covid would only make sense if he can find another tenant. 

He may find one next week, or it my take until next year, or even 2023 when tourism starts to rebuild.  

If he can't find another tenant in the near future, he would have been better leaving the TQ tenant in place by lowering the rent. 

The Thai landlord is gambling on getting another tenant soon, at the same rent per month, if not more.  

Since he has basically evicted the management of the oldest gogo in Pattaya, by not being realistic and flexible, I hope it sits vacant for years, as a monument to his greed.  

Do you think the Patpong Family really care about the next tenant in a shack on Beach Road?

Prime Real Estate.

All IMHO