PR application options

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at applying for PR. I have read through the last application information released by the government last June 2019.

Now I could apply based on work, but also based on family/spouse. The latter requires a bit more paperwork. 

Would anybody know if there would be any difference in possible success rate? Or other differences?

I would appreciate your thoughts and possible experience. 

Thanks!

If you apply for PR with proof you are are married to a Thai and have children from you marriage the income requirements are lowered to 50k baht. I would think going that route would have a better chance of being approved.

Another option you have is applying for Thai nationality instead of permanent residency since you are married to a Thai. The fee for it is much less than PR (8k baht verses about 100k baht for PR).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

Applying for  thai nationality instead may I ask, what is the requirements for that??

If married to a Thai it requires working with a work permit and paying taxes on a minimum income of 40k baht income for 3 years. 

There is this long ongoing topic about it dbrenn's story of Thai citizenship application . You can find more info about it there.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your replies. The citizenship option seems to be pretty much the same route, except you might have to wait for the outcome quite a while longer.

@ubonjoe I have been reading in other places online that the income requirement for PR also is 40,000, when married. In the official documents about requirements, from the immigration site, nothing is mentioned at all. Do you have any more info on that?

I am going to study both options a bit more.

By the way, the PR applications are being taken already from the 1st of July this year.... very early... wonder what the reason for that would be...

Thanks again and have a good day!

8 minutes ago, Krabi King said:

I have been reading in other places online that the income requirement for PR also is 40,000, when married. In the official documents about requirements, from the immigration site, nothing is mentioned at all. Do you have any more info on that?

I recall it being 50k baht in the past when reading posts in this long ongoing topic. Camerata's Guide to Permanent Residence  You can find a lot of useful info in it. I don't think it was ever in the written requirements.

The only way to get good info on what is needed now is to contact the PR section at Chaeng Wattana immigration.

No sure about how long it takes for PR verses citizenship. I can recall it being about the same a few years ago.

8 minutes ago, Krabi King said:

By the way, the PR applications are being taken already from the 1st of July this year.... very early... wonder what the reason for that would be...

I think the previous cabinet decided to approve the quotas early instead of putting it off until the new cabinet was seated. It could be done much earlier every year if they had the will to do it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you apply for PR with proof you are are married to a Thai and have children from you marriage the income requirements are lowered to 50k baht.

Do you have to have children with your Thai spouse to qualify?