E-cigarettes cause brain damage and cancer, reports Thai media

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, wisperone said:

I am all for banning these things. I do not want to breathe in someone else's vaping chemicals. There is no shortage of information out there on the dangers of these.  People ending up in coma, lung damage, illness...not to mention batteries blowing up in smokers face and disfiguring them. Doesn't take much common sense to imagine what the long term effects of inhaling these chemical concoctions will be. This is something Thailand has gotten right in banning them.

Incidents are few and far between involving mechanical mods (self adapted equipment) and sub standard liquids.  The latest scare story didn't even involve real juice, but knock off cannabis oil.

There is no shortage of information- this time scientific- that actually shows they are far less harmful than cigarettes.

I imagine you all for banning a lot of things you don't like, but would be up in arms if the things you like got banned.

And stop spreading rubbish around!  Since when have you had a face-full of vapour for instance?

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

How come these things aren't happening in the UK for instance?

Probably because better scientific practice. or perhaps because there is regulation about what can be sold.

Because no one there sells toxicated fake THC cartridges to kids: https://www.leafly.com/news/health/tainted-vape-carts-sicken-7-california-safety-report-leafly

All these cases are no vape eliquid, all are drugs in cartridges, nothing to do with vaping, might as well smoked that <deleted> in a vaporizer for weed

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Because no one there sells toxicated fake THC cartridges to kids: https://www.leafly.com/news/health/tainted-vape-carts-sicken-7-california-safety-report-leafly

All these cases are no vape eliquid, all are drugs in cartridges, nothing to do with vaping, might as well smoked that <deleted> in a vaporizer for weed

Yes I was about to say there was actually a similar episode in Manchester, UK.  It turned out that those involved had been exposed to dodgy street drugs. 

26 minutes ago, wisperone said:

I am all for banning these things. I do not want to breathe in someone else's vaping chemicals. There is no shortage of information out there on the dangers of these.  People ending up in coma, lung damage, illness...not to mention batteries blowing up in smokers face and disfiguring them. Doesn't take much common sense to imagine what the long term effects of inhaling these chemical concoctions will bev. This is something Thailand has gotten right in banning them.

The chemicals that make up vaping liquid are either Vegetable glycerine or Propylene Glycol (commonly a mixture of the 2), food flavouring and (optionally) nicotine.

Do you brush your teeth? Because if you do, you are putting that stuff (minus nicotine) in your mouth every day. Similarly if you eat an ice cream, bakery products and a myriad of other food products.

Propylene Glycol is even used in intravenous medications so is injected directly into the bloodstream.

To me it seems that common sense would say that these chemicals must be generally safe.

BTW, the Lithium batteries powering the devices are the same but usually smaller than the battery in every smart phone. 

49 minutes ago, wisperone said:

I am all for banning these things. I do not want to breathe in someone else's vaping chemicals. There is no shortage of information out there on the dangers of these.  People ending up in coma, lung damage, illness...not to mention batteries blowing up in smokers face and disfiguring them. Doesn't take much common sense to imagine what the long term effects of inhaling these chemical concoctions will be. This is something Thailand has gotten right in banning them.

Educate yourself before you talk.

2 minutes ago, Dr Rodrigues Pereira said:

I sincerely hope this "Dr" is not an MD . Because if he is, he should be interdited !!!

Not sure he's even real: https://www.google.com/search?q=Khajorn+Kaewjarat&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH799TH799&filter=0&biw=1916&bih=920

4 google hits, only this news, nothing else. normal doctors publish papers etc...

I am totally in favour of vaping as I would rather believe the UK medical advice who encourage tobacco smokers to convert to vaping . My son vapes as an ex smoker and tells of the health benefits he has gained by switching .  He was here a couple of weeks ago but did not bring his vape because of the penalties handed out by Thai police . So he smoked cigs for 3 weeks but changed back to the vape , which he much preferred , in the UK . He was annoyed because there were Thai airport staff openly vaping at both BKK airports but not tourists and we were approached by a Thai security outside of arrivals asking if we had any cigarettes in our bags , whilst we stood next to the Thai vapers .  

Hypocrisy rules in this country . If there was real concern for the people the road carnage, field burning , cheap nasty low grade alcohol , weapon control , social security safety net , reasonable state pensions , decent education etc issues would be addressed .    

12 hours ago, wisperone said:

There is no shortage of nonsense on the internet.  Misrepresentations, half-truths, and outright bulls**t, regurgitated by Google Boy Subject Matter Experts, who have no idea how ridiculous they sound.  "Chemical Concoctions".   Oooo, that sounds extra spooky and dangerous.

The media being pumped out by the anti-vape crusaders has reached religious stupidity.  Their intended audience is laughing hysterically, because even an 8 year old sees right through it.   But, hey, there's still plenty of easy marks out there, vulnerable to the most basic marketing and social conditioning techniques, who self-deputize, flash their Google credentials and spread the gospel they learned from a talking snake on "The Web".

This, in and of itself, is cancerous and causes far more brain damage than vaping.

Please ensure you remain a safe distance from any boiling water like a kettle.

Those fumes being given off are deadly.

Absolutely Khun Wisper...they be worse than Agent Orange.

tenor(12).gif

21 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

So could the good doctor or anyone form the disease control center please advise why have normal cigarettes  not been 100% banned.

It seems ludicrous that you only banned e cigs when clearly according to all the data the normal cigs kill more people.

But I think most people can clearly see the reason. 

It’s  not about doing what’s right for the people,it’s about the money.

I am a smoker and have tried many times to kick the habit. Still trying to this day.

So my point is ban both,make it illegal to smoke and then maybe you will save lives.

It is true that the cigarette tar and chemical additives are toxic, less so, nicotine, and these additives would help kill you in the end.

One stat (USA) that could help you kick the habit is this:

If you were a frequent flyer, and I told you that one out of ten planes crash killing everyone on board, would you continue to fly?

That is your current chance of dying though smoking a pack of cigarettes. On the other hand, owing to the reduction of toxic additives in vaping you'd probably die of something else if you kicked fags and took up vaping. But take care, because inhaling any 'unnatural' additives is not a long-term healthy option. 

As for nicotine, science has been unable to ascertain that it is the main cause of tobacco-linked disease - even though there could be a correlation - mainly owing to manufacturers either withholding research funds or paying scientists enough dosh to skew the results. 

2 hours ago, superal said:

He was annoyed because there were Thai airport staff openly vaping at both BKK airports but not tourists and we were approached by a Thai security outside of arrivals asking if we had any cigarettes in our bags , whilst we stood next to the Thai vapers .  

That's because it's the import of nicotine products that's forbidden, using the devices has no specific law, just BiB on brown envelope missions. 

From what I have heard they want to eliminate smoking completely by increasing tax so much that most won't be able to afford to smoke.
They will replace the state income from Tobacco with Medical Cannabis.
This will take a few years to build up but when that happens I guess they don't want people changing over to E-Cigs either.

What pleasure is there in medical cannabis?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20091104/Propylene-glycol-in-e-cigarettes-might-keep-us-healthy-says-researchers.aspx

Far from posing a threat to our health, the propylene glycol in e cigarettes might just keep us healthy. Further studies should be done on the effects of propylene glycol to determine if it can be used successfully as a virus prevention tool. 

Interesting research ????

Sadly, there are a few countries that are simply not mature enough to allow for a successful roll out of ecigarettes;  Thailand and the USA are two prime examples.  In order for ecigarettes to be successful, there has to be agreement within health bodies, and the medical profession.  Otherwise, reactionary groups have a field day, and actually turn something positive in to something quite dangerous.  Hence, in the absence of regulation, we see real health concerns such as youngsters using contaminated, street liquids, which can contain dangerous synthetic cannabis oil.  It's a sad situation, where so called health advocates are shown to be anything but, and the only solution may be a total ban.  I don't think Thailand will ever legalize vaping.  Shame on them in my opinion!

4 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20091104/Propylene-glycol-in-e-cigarettes-might-keep-us-healthy-says-researchers.aspx

Far from posing a threat to our health, the propylene glycol in e cigarettes might just keep us healthy. Further studies should be done on the effects of propylene glycol to determine if it can be used successfully as a virus prevention tool. 

Interesting research ????

Didn't work for me, had the bloody flu a few months ago. Maybe I should upgrade to a 5000W mod.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Sadly, there are a few countries that are simply not mature enough to allow for a successful roll out of ecigarettes;  Thailand and the USA are two prime examples.  In order for ecigarettes to be successful, there has to be agreement within health bodies, and the medical profession.  Otherwise, reactionary groups have a field day, and actually turn something positive in to something quite dangerous.  Hence, in the absence of regulation, we see real health concerns such as youngsters using contaminated, street liquids, which can contain dangerous synthetic cannabis oil.  It's a sad situation, where so called health advocates are shown to be anything but, and the only solution may be a total ban.  I don't think Thailand will ever legalize vaping.  Shame on them in my opinion!

I do not think it has anything to do with maturity, it all boils down to money and taxes.

In our Western worlds,they are spending billions of dollars on educating us how smoking is bad and how smokers are a burden on healthcare, yet every year they raise taxes.

As a smoker, i paid for my healthcare 10 times over in silly 500%-900% taxes, keep in mind, shops, wholesalers and factories also paid just as much in taxes.

They spent billions on promoting patches and gums,which cost more than cigarettes,but then they talk think how much money you will save if you quit-DOH

They know they could never tax ecigs with the same rate as cigarettes and if people start to quit in mass, governments will be out of billions in tax, on top of that tobacco lobbyist putting in billions to disapprove vaping, unless its made by tobacco company.

Why has marlboro or phillip morris not come out with their own vape kit? Surely vaping can not be any worse than smoking

Back to Thailand, i think they will legalize it once they realize how much more money they can make from taxing it. Thai vaping community continues to grow and despite what government thinks, Thai vaping community is huge and getting bigger, more and more locally made juices are hitting the market.

In Indonesia it was also banned, but recently kind of reversed but on the quite. Shops selling indo juice with indo tax sticker on it.

Not too long ago, i bought some juice there, and it was 100 000 idr, tax was 40 000

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The vaping propaganda is similar to the tobacco lobby who denied the  relationship between smoking and ill health. The large, dense clouds of smoke spewed out by vapers is disgusting.

Mmmmmmmmmm, clouds. But I think you're right, being perpertually disgusted might lead to high blood pressure and stress and that certainly will make your life shorter. 

Archived