Marriage O visa in Savannakhet - 1-year multiple-entry available?

I just checked the options for marriage visas on the Savannakhet Thai consulate's website, since I do not have a 400,000 baht deposit ready yet.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/savannakhet/th/services/104406-Visa-Fee.html

But their web page lists only non-immigrant O visas (single entry) valid for 3 months, costing 2,000 baht.

Recently, has anyone been able to get a multiple-entry non-immigrant O visa from Savannakhet that is valid for 1 year, costing 5,000 baht? If not, maybe Ho Chi Minh City could be another option?

A visa agency I spoke to in Chiang Mai said that the multiple-entry 1-year option is only available if done through the agency, but I am thinking that is probably unnecessary?

Edited by Falconator
  • Haha 1

Just as a side note, my immigration and visa run experiences tend to be different from those of most other ThaiVisa posters because I often pass as Southeast Asian and have light brown skin.

Last time I went to Savannakhet, a female Lao immigration officer at Savannakhet asked me if I was Lao-American and wanted to know which village I was going back to. ???? The tuk-tuk and motorcycle drivers waiting by the Friendship Bridge also asked me if I was Lao-American.

In Vietnam, I usually get asked if I'm Chinese or overseas Vietnamese.

Also got a comment from a Chiang Mai immigration officer that I look Thai while doing my 90-day check-in. Apparently he meant that as a compliment.

15 minutes ago, Falconator said:

Are any online appointments needed for the Savannakhet consulate?

How busy is it nowadays?

No appointment is needed.

It is only busy on Mondays and Thursdays when the visa run vans are there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Any recent forum reports for non-imm O visas from Savannakhet though?

I'm only able to dig up reports from the start of this year and 2018.

8 minutes ago, Falconator said:

Any recent forum reports for non-imm O visas from Savannakhet though?

I'm only able to dig up reports from the start of this year and 2018.

You are good to go. If anyone was denied it would be reported here same day and ubon joe would know. 

• Like 1

I'am at Savannaket at the moment and will collect my passport at 14.00hrs today. Stay away from Mondays and Thursdays big visa van day..I was 3rd in the queue yesterday (Tuesday) at 08.15hrs.

No changes to  TV published requirements. I did take copies of the Lao visa on arrival and stamp. But the two guys in front of me didn't but they had no problems.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can still get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet without any financial proof.

Many recent reports about it.

Certainly no agent is needed.

And, actually, there is no option on the application form at any embassy/consulate that I am aware of to tick a box for a multi entry. So I always write it, in the area under the photo. Never a problem doing that.

In the same way I do wonder, with the on-line applications demanded at places like Paris and London that I've read do not offer the facility to ask for a multi entry, whether they are in fact actually available on-line if you can find a way to request it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And, actually, there is no option on the application form at any embassy/consulate that I am aware of to tick a box for a multi entry. So I always write it, in the area under the photo. Never a problem doing that.

In the same way I do wonder, with the on-line applications demanded at places like Paris and London that I've read do not offer the facility to ask for a multi entry, whether they are in fact actually available on-line if you can find a way to request it.

That's exactly what I did - hand write "multi entry visa".

I got a multiple-O based on marriage in Savannakhet last month. Not a problem as long as you have your paperwork in order. Like other posters have already stated, stay away Mon and Thurs. and hand write "multiple entry" at the top. I went on a Tuesday, waited 15 minutes in line, picked up PP the following day at 2PM. Took all of 5 minutes.

Edited by mizzi39
  • Like 2

Any suggestions for best place to renew my yearly visa based on marriage ?

For last few years I have met the financial requirements etc but this year not able to do so . I also have the hinderance of being a wheelchair user so looking for the easiest place to get to and least hassle with no financial proof needed.

i was thinking ho chi min or Hanoi look fairly easy if I fly there drop things off and stay night or two. 

Thanks in advance for any input . 

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I obtained a Non-O visa based on marriage to a Thai in July - absolutely no problems. Do not apply on a Monday or a thursday due to the visa run packages. No request for bank details. Documents required:

1. Visa application form duly completed and 5,000 Baht.

2. 2 x Passport photos.

3.A. A valid passport.

3.B. A copy of your main passport page which you should sign.

4. Original marriage certificate which they will return immediately on application.

5. Copy of marriage certificate - I and my wife countersign on the back of the copy.

6. Copy of the wife's house book which she signs in Thai.

7. Copy of the wife's Thai ID which she signs in Thai.

In addition, I always include a copy of the wife's passport page which she signs in Thai.

No request for proof of funds.

I turned up 10 minutes before the gate closed thus missing the early morning rush. Next afternoon I turned up approx 2.30 p.m. no one else around.

Staff were friendly and cooperative.

There is a copy shop across from the consulate just in case.

Also, the consulate is within walking distance of the town with several hotels. On receiving your passport with visa, you can walk back to the bus station to catch the bus to travel back to Mukdahan, if required.

Best of luck. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CelticTam said:

I obtained a Non-O visa based on marriage to a Thai in July - absolutely no problems. Do not apply on a Monday or a thursday due to the visa run packages. No request for bank details. Documents required:

1. Visa application form duly completed and 5,000 Baht.

2. 2 x Passport photos.

3.A. A valid passport.

3.B. A copy of your main passport page which you should sign.

4. Original marriage certificate which they will return immediately on application.

5. Copy of marriage certificate - I and my wife countersign on the back of the copy.

6. Copy of the wife's house book which she signs in Thai.

7. Copy of the wife's Thai ID which she signs in Thai.

In addition, I always include a copy of the wife's passport page which she signs in Thai.

No request for proof of funds.

I turned up 10 minutes before the gate closed thus missing the early morning rush. Next afternoon I turned up approx 2.30 p.m. no one else around.

Staff were friendly and cooperative.

There is a copy shop across from the consulate just in case.

Also, the consulate is within walking distance of the town with several hotels. On receiving your passport with visa, you can walk back to the bus station to catch the bus to travel back to Mukdahan, if required.

Best of luck. 

Do you reccomend a hotel as im going soon thanks

On 8/20/2019 at 11:26 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can still get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet without any financial proof.

Many recent reports about it.

Certainly no agent is needed.

Hi. Does this also apply to Type O for Retirement? I'm thinking that if I cannot extend for some reason this year, I should start again with new Type O. 

Thanks.

3 hours ago, sateuk said:

Avalon Residence is reasonable and located 2 minutes from the bus station - e mail or book online. There are plenty of hotels in the vicinity - I suggest you google Agoda/Booking.com to get a feel for the hotel, price and location. Not much in the way of nightlife in that area other than the big food court  nearby: take a right of Avalon walk about 100 yards take a left and about 150 yards along the food court is on the left. All Lao, but no problems and you might find yourself being invitedd into a bit of a drinking session which was just fine by me. Also, to the right of the bus station (as you face the bus station) is a large convenience store so you can stock up and they sell the ready food packs you can ask to have warmed up.

20 hours ago, sateuk said:

I stayed quite some distance from the consulate so had to pay about 1500 baht in total for tuk tuk fares including to/from the border. The area I stayed at was quite nice,  near the river and night market.  Some half decent restaurants and bars in that area.  The wife came with me so we treated it as a mini holiday. 

If you want to save money try Avalon as mentioned previously as it is much closer to the consulate. I initially looked at staying there but it was booked out on our days, as was the other Avalon,  called Avalon residences I think. We stayed at a place called Vivanouk.  A 'boutique hotel' Think a b&b without breakfast or television!!   Basically an old 3 bedroom (French/European style) place done up as a small hotel.  Shared bathrooms, one inside and one outside.  The owner ( a very attractive Laos girl) uses one bedroom and rents the other two out.  We quite enjoyed it.

Many posters say to avoid Monday's and Thursday's.  I went on a Thursday - details in a previous post on this thread. 

Edited by emptypockets

• 3 weeks later...

Trip report: just got my 1-year marriage visa at Savannakhet.

I arrived at 9:30 am on a Tuesday. There were only 10 people in front of me. A retired Japanese man trying to get a tourist visa (not his first tourist visa) got denied. The officer asked him, "We need documents showing that you are retired." The applicant didn't have any, so then the officer put his hand down and said, "You cannot apply. I will not say anything more. Please leave." The man tried to ask more questions, but the officer remained silent. However, another young British man applying for his first Thai tourist visa got accepted.

However, mine was accepted instantly without any questions. The officer didn't even say a single word to me. He checked all the documents and gave me a slip, and said "come back at 2 pm tomorrow to pick up your passport."

The next day, I arrived at 2:30 pm so that I could skip the 2 pm queue. There was absolutely no one in front of me, and they instantly gave me my passport.

I am here with my family. They really enjoyed Savannakhet. We tried great Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean food here and enjoyed walking around the markets.

My Thai family members had received their travel passes yesterday at the Mukdahan immigration checkpoint office. We arrived there at 6 am, but had to wait until 8 am because that's when the travel permit office opens. Thai immigration gave them both a 2-night, 3-day temporary visit pass for Laos (25 baht per person). The whole process took around 20 minutes. It is only valid for the Mukdahan-Savannakhet crossing, and not anywhere else.

• Like 1

The Savannakhet consulate did not even want the original copies of my K.R. 2 and K.R. 3 marriage certificates, and they handed those back to me.

I turned in these signed photocopies, which were all taken.

• K.R. 2 marriage certificate (the detailed one with personal details listed), signed by both of us (extra document that was not necessary, but they still took it)
  • K.R. 3 (the marriage certificate with rose borders), signed by both of us
  • Wife's Thai passport (extra document that was not necessary, but they still took it)
  • Wife's Thai ID card
  • Tabien baan - only the one page that has my wife's name on it
  • My US passport

Plus my original US passport and 5,000 Thai baht in cash.

My visa sticker is valid for one year. There is Thai handwriting on the top saying that this person registered his marriage at this specific amphoe on this specific date.

Highly recommended. One guy behind me had been doing annual marriage visas at Savannakhet for 4 years straight. He prefers traveling around rather than doing in-country extensions, which he says are a huge headache. He said, travel a bit more and save yourself a lot of bureaucratic headache, and you get to see the world too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My visa is a multiple-entry one that is valid until September 2020.

If I enter Thailand again in September 2020, I get another 90 days. Can I then extend it at my local immigration office for 60 more days and 1,900 baht? This means I can theoretically get 1 year + 3 months + 2 months = 17 months total using my current visa, right?

3 minutes ago, Falconator said:

I've been reading visa run horror stories from BKK and DMK airports, as well as Poipet.

Has anyone on a marriage visa ever been harassed by immigration officers while re-entering Thailand?

I've been married for 15 years and have traveled in and out of Thailand frequently on my Non-O based on marriage. I've never had any problems and never heard of anyone having problems on the border with a valid "marriage visa". What horror stories are you referring to?

Also, what's a "KR 2 Marriage certificate"? I've only ever been asked to show the "rose bordered" one.

3 hours ago, Inderpland said:

I've been married for 15 years and have traveled in and out of Thailand frequently on my Non-O based on marriage. I've never had any problems and never heard of anyone having problems on the border with a valid "marriage visa". What horror stories are you referring to?

Also, what's a "KR 2 Marriage certificate"? I've only ever been asked to show the "rose bordered" one.

KR 2 is the "longer" marriage document. The amphoe should have given it to you. Ask your wife about it.

Horror stories were all related to tourist visas and ED visas, but I'm wondering if any marriage or retirement visa holders were denied. I haven't heard of these types of visa holders being denied either, but I just want to make sure, because not all immigration officers play by the rules.

@ubonjoe 

Sorry to enter this thread, but i not want to open a new one just for one (or two) questions: 

1) My agency in Pattaya told me, that i need a Thai Bank account for an NonO Marriage Visa in Savannakhet. 

2) The agency told me as well, that i only can do a single entry NonO Marriage Visa. 

This rule obviosly started 15th of July; so they cannot help me with my visa because i dont have any bank account in Thailand and i want a Multiple Entry NonO. Are these informations of the agency correct or wrong? 

I am really confused at the moment, because in all other threads i can´t read anything about required bank accounts.

Thx for your help again. 

Edited by rekordmeister