Trump says he is seriously looking at ending birthright citizenship

webfact

19 minutes ago, Slip said:

It really isn't.  You have to think a little harder.  But I will reformulate as you ask.  Why do you think it is ok to treat these two groups differently, when in terms of their actual situations there is no difference whatsoever?

No serious criminal record would have been a particular sore point for many immigrants through the ages.  Do you think that those criteria should have been applied to them?

okay, it's clearer now.

1- I am against retroactive laws. so any citizenships that are already granted can't be taken back.

2- the two groups are not in the same situation. the first group should be deported while the second can obviously remain and apply for citizenship (I have insufficient knowledge about how the US system works, but I guess there are many things that are different for illegal immigrants, what about taxes for example?)

2.1 - for the first group, illegals and children of illegals, there should be a procedure for applying to stay legally, for example by petitioning the local community and fulfilling certain criteria.

3- criminal record: with "serious" I mean for example crimes that are punished with more than 6 months of effective prison (no suspended sentence) in rather lenient countries (for example a number of EU countries). Typically these sentences are given for violent rape, armed robbery, willful assault with a weapon, etc.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, tgw said:

okay, it's clearer now.

1- I am against retroactive laws. so any citizenships that are already granted can't be taken back.

2- the two groups are not in the same situation. the first group should be deported while the second can obviously remain and apply for citizenship (I have insufficient knowledge about how the US system works, but I guess there are many things that are different for illegal immigrants, what about taxes for example?)

2.1 - for the first group, illegals and children of illegals, there should be a procedure for applying to stay legally, for example by petitioning the local community and fulfilling certain criteria.

3- criminal record: with "serious" I mean for example crimes that are punished with more than 6 months of effective prison (no suspended sentence) in rather lenient countries (for example a number of EU countries). Typically these sentences are given for violent rape, armed robbery, willful assault with a weapon, etc.

Thanks for a very reasonable and sensible response.

13 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Not often I agree with anything that man has to say, but I believe the automatic right to citizenship because a baby was born inside the border has little relevance in this day of mass travel and border hopping.

Australia changed it's citizenship act about 1986 to state babies born there get the same status as their parents. If both parents are illegal, baby is too. If just one parent has PR, baby is a citizen.

This came about because increasing numbers of pregnant woman, from many countries, were flying in to give birth to an Australian. Hong Kong residents were forefront in the scheme at the time because many saw this as a backup in case the return to China went bad.(!) 

Prophetic.

You know regardless of everything else I discussed with people on here about Trump I actually do totally disagree with ending birthright citizenship though. And it is the 14th Amendment of our constitution I believe if I’m not mistaken. I used to have all the constitutional amendments memorized.

34 minutes ago, DLock said:

I clarified a very important point on illegal Vs legal immigration that the Left seem incapable or unwilling to understand.

If this birthright discussion is not rooted in immigration status, what is it about?

Come on Kid, bring something worthy of a debate, not just playing spelling bee and semantics.

You did not clarify anything, you repeated an argument already given many times on here.

You were referring to his birthright, not this birthright. Not semantics, important distinction.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

For once I think he may well have a point if both parents are nationals of another country, the real issue the principles of nationality should be internationally agreed.

I do not agree with dual citizenship but see nothing wrong with people hold multiple multiple citizenships as long as one is defined by international  convention the primary nationality that can neither be taken away.  

But there must be compasion on this issue, and exceptions made if both parents are stateless or a young adult has been brought up in a country and would find it difficult to survive in another country if sent back alone. 

• Confused 1

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, ThaiBunny said:

I'll be interested to see how 'Jesus' Trump goes about repealing the 14th Amendment

He doesn't have to repeal it. He could just make it a part of getting a visa to prove that one is not pregnant.

Of course the courts would stop that, but there are other solutions to the problem.

I don't normally post on Trump threads now, but your question was interesting.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mel52 said:

You know I don’t particularly like Trump either but he has done some good and yes some bad as well and he talks to much before thinking about what he’s saying first and then suddenly it becomes policy like the border wall lol. But seriously the hatred of him is horrible I know he does bring some of it on himself but I’ve never seen a United States President so hated by the media as Trump ever in my life time. And that’s probably because he really isn’t a very likable guy but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a bad guy or a racist. I’m in the middle politically I’m a moderate when it comes to politics in fact I can’t stand politics at all it drives me nuts trying to rationalize some of these things we hear on the news and things I’ve actually been involved in over the past 30 years or so. But I really don’t hate him at all I don’t necessarily like him particularly but I respect him as my elected president just like I respected Obama and all of our presidents in my life time including Bush and Clinton. Obama was just more likable even I liked him even though I totally disagreed with most of his policies not all of them but quite a few of them. But everyone is entitled to their opinion more so if you’re an American citizen who can vote in our elections.

Do your friends drink a lot of coffee when they're around visiting your place?

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Slip said:

Why do you think that Americans who are born and have lived in the U.S. for 21 years should be less entitled to citizenship than those others who are also born and have lived in the U.S. for 21 years? 

If you believe that speaking English well enough and having no serious criminal record should be applied to the first group, why not the second?

Would you like to have seen those criteria applied to the less recent immigrants (legal or otherwise?)

Because the point is that, being the children of illegals, they should not be held to be Americans. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mel52 said:

You know I don’t particularly like Trump either but he has done some good and yes some bad as well and he talks to much before thinking about what he’s saying first and then suddenly it becomes policy like the border wall lol. But seriously the hatred of him is horrible I know he does bring some of it on himself but I’ve never seen a United States President so hated by the media as Trump ever in my life time. And that’s probably because he really isn’t a very likable guy but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a bad guy or a racist. I’m in the middle politically I’m a moderate when it comes to politics in fact I can’t stand politics at all it drives me nuts trying to rationalize some of these things we hear on the news and things I’ve actually been involved in over the past 30 years or so. But I really don’t hate him at all I don’t necessarily like him particularly but I respect him as my elected president just like I respected Obama and all of our presidents in my life time including Bush and Clinton. Obama was just more likable even I liked him even though I totally disagreed with most of his policies not all of them but quite a few of them. But everyone is entitled to their opinion more so if you’re an American citizen who can vote in our elections.

I respect everyone"s opinion, and I am am Independent voter.  I do not believe that you respect someone for their title.  People earn respect through their actions.  I don't even respect Trump as a human, as he cares about no one but himself, and he has cheated and preyed off the poor his whole life.  He has no friends because people are expendable to him.  He demands loyalty, but he has none.  Your moral foundation must be fluid, but I was not raised that way.  He is an immature person, and has no respect for the US Constitution, and I am sure he has never read it.  Trump lies hundreds of times a week, calls the free press an enemy, which is what every dictator has done.  I assume you don't care about the environment because he's destroying it. I do agree with some of his actions, but not how he has handled them, and I also disagreed with how Obama handled some issues.  Why does Trump only praise nationalists and dictators, and degrades allies?  The USA is a "Democracy", and millions have died protecting the Constitution. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You need to consider the full context of what Trump (or S. Miller) is trying to do, and it includes reducing/eliminating LEGAL immigration.  This includes chain migration, asylum seekers, and other legal immigration categories.  FACT.

But to the birthright issue, yes the parents are illegals (not criminals, but undocumented) and the children were born in the USA.  So just deport them to a country they've never been?  That's just patently cruel and punishes people who did not commit a crime.  

While I recognize that some people (e.g., Chinese) have abused the system, certainly there are ways to prevent that specific thing.  But the reason they're getting away with it is because it's largely legal....which you claim is the primary distinction. 

Well reasoned, and I agree, it's a complex situation.

Legal experts say that unlawful presence in the US by itself is not a crime in most cases. However, it still a civil violation, that puts a person at risk at being deported.

Unlawful entry is classified a misdemeanor. So, someone in the US without a valid permit could be considered breaking the law by having entered the country illegally, or breached the terms of a tourist visa and never left.

So the classification of an undocumented alien being a "criminal" is not crystal clear and open for debate.

And yes the children born in the US to undocumented immigrants did nothing wrong per se, have spent their life in the US and know no different, however are used and "anchor babies" and the loophole is abused widely.

Whilst I do not believe Trump will be successful and believe he is just baiting and triggering the Left for fun (much like Greenland), with 11million (up to 20 million) undocumented aliens, it's something that needs to be considered.

lucky they can't vote, or The Donald would never had gotten elected.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2