Foreign house owner and guest house manager fined for not reporting foreigners within 24 hours

webfact

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

If thai can go to your country and must not have fill out document, then I will help you ask the thai government to do same for you. Is fair.

98% of foreigner come to thailand don’t even know about this 30 document. Because the hotel do it for them.

In my country, every Thai visitor can freely move about anywhere they want to go without having to worry about registering themselves.

In my country, I do not have to notify the police within 24 hours when I have invited a Thai visitor to stay at my home as a guest.

In my country, a Thai resident does not have to report their address every 90 days.

In my country, it is considered sufficient if a Thai national notifies their current residential address when they renew or extend their visa.

In my country, every Thai visitor enjoys the same rights as a citizen.

So.... can you help me now and "ask the Thai government" to get rid of that insane TM30 requirement? No? You can't? I figured so. 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for a group of farang to hire a researcher from a respected university to calculate the contribution we collectively make to the Thai economy (not just the 800,000 deposit) and to the communities in which we live, and use the information to lobby against TM 30 and other punitive Immigration measures. 

10 minutes ago, buanmeerugsaa said:

Time for a group of farang to hire a researcher from a respected university to calculate the contribution we collectively make to the Thai economy (not just the 800,000 deposit) and to the communities in which we live, and use the information to lobby against TM 30 and other punitive Immigration measures. 

...and when that figure, from those who are required to submit TM30s, turns out to be insignificant what would you do?

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

ok, accepted! thais or anyone else for that matter, do not need to fill out a TM30 or anything similar in the UK.

they are welcome to stay or move anywhere they want without making a report.

now over to you.. please CC me in on your request to the government, i look forward to reading it ????

thankyou!

Thais don't get a VOA when turning up at Heathrow, I'm sure that most wouldn't mind

reporting their whereabouts to the authorities in exchange for the hoops and hurdles

they need to endure just so they can have a holiday.

Maybe you could petition the UK government to grant visa free access for tourists.

Sorry for going off topic, but cross George brought up the fair way the immigration

service works in the land of milk and honey!!

I have said this 100's of times before. Whatever the priority or concern starts off as, by the time, the governmental system to address the concern has been devised and implemented and filtered down to the front line, it turns into a revenue-raising scheme. This applies to all public sector entities here.

The reason is each ministry, agency, state enterprise, etc. functions in the same way. The higher you go, the more you pay for your position and you need to keep raising revenue constantly to 1. recoup your outlay, 2. subsidise your low salary to meet expectations and have a lifestyle commensurate to your position, education and qualifications and level of responsibility and 3. perhaps most importantly, keep funneling regular payments up the pyramid to your patron/manager.

No public sector entity can stop raising revenue or the whole pyramid will collapse.

25 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

In my country, every Thai visitor can freely move about anywhere they want to go without having to worry about registering themselves.

In my country, I do not have to notify the police within 24 hours when I have invited a Thai visitor to stay at my home as a guest.

In my country, a Thai resident does not have to report their address every 90 days.

In my country, it is considered sufficient if a Thai national notifies their current residential address when they renew or extend their visa.

In my country, every Thai visitor enjoys the same rights as a citizen.

In my country, you can come for 30 day with no document at all. 

So more than 20 pages of document for two day holiday to your country.

AND must pay for Visa application

AND no refund if they reject visa application

because they ASSUME I liar and criminal.

i think more easy just to do the easy one page TM30. (And the hotel do it for 98%)

Or not? 

I happy to change. I do the free TM30 and you do 20 pages and pay. Ok?

Two personal perspective points:

1) The TM30 is a hassle that I don't need - when "friction" is introduced to in country

travel I'm less inclined to travel - so I reconsider every trip

2) As long stay expats we already report every 90 days.  Why the TM 30 thing? They

should enforce the TM28 so they know if we've changed our primary residence.

The rest of the time (90 days max) we are either at our primary residence or

already reported as staying elsewhere by a guesthouse/hotel or whatever.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

If thai can go to your country and must not have fill out document, then I will help you ask the thai government to do same for you. Is fair.

98% of foreigner come to thailand don’t even know about this 30 document. Because the hotel do it for them.

I'll guarantee that a Thai visiting the USA, once in the country, can move about freely, anywhere, and never have to report to anyone where they are staying. Additionally, no hotel sends anyone paperwork as to who is staying there. I have been in Thailand over 20 years and only just recently learned about the TM-30. Immigration definately lets us know about the TM-6 and the 90 day reports, which I do religously, and now that I have learned about the TM-30, I will do it also, but not because Immigration ever brought the requirement to my attention. If I had not stumbled on this TV website I still wouldn't know about the requirement.

So it took how many high ranking members of the police to go to a house and check if somebody had reported a person staying?

They should all be charged with wasting our hard earned tax money - if they have nothing better to do then they are obviously over staffed and should be fired !

On another note - this is just another click bait article.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The response to valid criticism is righteous indignation, then doubling down on enforcement.  Big Stick.  Hands in pocketbooks.  Comply, no matter how ridiculous the order.

And then the contrived propoganda photos of the victims caught in the widening drag net.  Momentary prisoners in the war of wills, persuaded to mouth confessions, hold signs of contrition, thanking their benevolent captors for their restraint, and steadfast devotion to "The People", who know not what they do, the ungrateful bastards.  

Imagine the possibilities for Thailand and "The People" if this level of high-minded enthusiasm was directed toward other areas.

Until then, the beatings shall continue until morale improves.

56 minutes ago, Saltire said:

IO said 'can not, for Thai only, you not hotel'. When I said their colleague advised differently I got the 'can not' again pretty firmly.

How dare you prove to him that he’s an incompetent idiot that doesn’t know his own job. Shame on you!

3 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

I posted this on another TM30 article and seems appropriate to also post on this one.

"The whole TM30 needs to be scrapped!

It is not about being fined, not about all the additional paperwork you are faced with, or the inconvenience. It is about how it makes all foreigners automatically persons of suspicion of being criminals or undesirables and feeling unwelcome by the Thai government. 

I doubt if any of the purposeful overstayers, criminal wanted by Interpol, ever filed a TM30. So the Bulls..t of needing it for National Security, is just an overblown crock of s..t.

Even the foreign media sources, including those in China, see it for what it is. It is to make the legitimate, law-abiding Expats feel unwelcome.

No longer the "Land of Smiles" now the "Land of Suspicion"."

You decided to live in a kindergarten full of criminals and extortionist, so live with it.

I am glad I don't own any accommodation for rental to foreigners (or anyone else).  Many who do must be thinking about selling or not renting to foreigners. 

The exception may be the Chinese condo buyers who have been apparently buying around 30% of new condos.  They probably just ignore the rules or don't even know they exist and continue to let out to other Chinese without reporting.  Most of their tenants are short stay tourists for a few days, so they are unlikely to have problems renewing visas.  Any crack down on this part of the market will have an impact on property developers who are also suffering from slowing demand.  Of course, there is no mention of this huge segment in any of the reports.  Maybe they don't want to upset this particular apple cart.

So it takes 7 officers to raid the house in Koh Samui and 5 officers to raid a hotel in Pattaya.. 

Sounds like great use of police resources, not!! 

North Korean tactics being used on tourists visiting LOS.. Great PR for their friends back home on how welcoming Thailand is for tourists and expats alike.. ???? 

2 hours ago, exppenang said:

I have been here seven years as a retiree. Have seen things change over the years, and so far have "rolled with the punches". Most of the yearly extensions went ok, had to pay some minor tea money, missing a document a couple of times and had to come back the next day, but no real major problems other than inconvenience and wasting time in a smelly, overcrowded room.

I will say that the last few extensions have become more uncertain. Not because I didn't meet the requirements, but because there often seem to be new rules that I wasn't aware of. I avoided most of the 90 day reporting hassle, because most of the time I would be out of The Kingdom before 90 days went by.

I have a pickup and have seen a lot of Thailand by driving. National parks, beaches, mountains, waterfalls were great to visit. I felt free to enjoy the countryside and what this country has to offer.

But for some reason the TM30 has rubbed me the wrong way. Watching Mr. Barrow's video, and seeing immigration's (non) responses to reasonable questions has thrown me completely off this place. Instead of feeling free to enjoy the country (and spend my money), I now find myself waiting for the day I leave.

Have a few loose ends to tie up here, but the exit plan is in place.

I'm hoping I can find a way to enjoy these last few weeks here, and take one last road trip. Instead, I'm wondering if the hotels I have booked will/won't be filing TM30's. I know my landlord doesn't file them. And without the house documents and copy of his ID card, etc., there isn't any way I could file them anyway.

Adding the recent news in The Bangkok post hasn't helped either. I don't want to continue living in a place where expats have to report their every whereabouts. That's what parolees have to do. I'm looking forward to being a normal, free person, not a suspicious character in the eyes of the law. It's just no way to live.

Like you, I've lived here for several years as a retiree and my annual visa renewal was always smooth, until the embassy letters vouching for retirement income ceased. This year was a hassle, and made me think of moving on! Perhaps next year, if the hassle continues; also, the various problems, such as the T.M. 30.

Like you, I spend my money here. My rent, until recently, was greater than two months wages for a regular Thai worker; I developed the habit of eating, ????, so I spent also in restaurants and at the supermarkets and convenience stores; I visit the entertainment venues, and spend money there too; use Grab taxi often, and one of my trips usually costs what a regular Thai worker makes all day; plus all the other things I spend on! Being treated like a parolee (I like your writing style) rankles! 

I understand a one year visa is available in Cambodia for $200 US! Also, friends have visited or lived in Viet Nam, and those are certainly places to consider if my presence and my money are no longer appreciated here! Perhaps if a bunch of retirees move on, the authorities will see how much our spending helps the local economy!

1 hour ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Did you actually read what you replied to

It was incomprehensible as  far as i'm concerned and didnt  look  like it  implied she/he/it would  do that, but  clearly  you are a cut  above me, thanks for  pointing out my childishness but  not  your own in your response.

Judging by the 5 puzzled  looks emoticons in her //his  its  post and the 2  likes i' d say the majority also thought the same as me.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

When a Thai ( or any other nationality ) has cleared UK immigration then they are free to move around the country without hindrance. 

They do NOT have to make a report or fill in any immigration forms every time they change location.

The only countries that pursue such policies are dictatorships in one form or another, nothing to be proud of.

4 minutes ago, generealty said:

What is it that you do not understand about foreigner concerns ?

The incredible  nationalism instilled from birth the constant defense of anything which goes against that upbringing about "great Thailand" etc is what you need to understand.

55 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

The response to valid criticism is righteous indignation, then doubling down on enforcement.  Big Stick.  Hands in pocketbooks.  Comply, no matter how ridiculous the order.

And then the contrived propoganda photos of the victims caught in the widening drag net.  Momentary prisoners in the war of wills, persuaded to mouth confessions, hold signs of contrition, thanking their benevolent captors for their restraint, and steadfast devotion to "The People", who know not what they do, the ungrateful bastards.  

Imagine the possibilities for Thailand and "The People" if this level of high-minded enthusiasm was directed toward other areas.

Until then, the beatings shall continue until morale improves.

Dont worry , coming soon quadrupling of  fines for owners and tenants, as  everyone starts  to  comply theyll have to increase the fine to cover their  losses.

Archived