Foreign house owner and guest house manager fined for not reporting foreigners within 24 hours

webfact

Great Discussion highly appreciate the contribution of the community. 

As this new enforcement of an old law is mostly understood as an overkill I do not believe in racism or even as a clearing method. There are people which are positive against foreigners and some are not.

I am watching this discussion with a very skeptical eye and a great fear as a move elsewhere would be for us  a very difficult step.

I think the reasons behind this is much  more serious.

The possible scenarios:

1. Obtaining tax money from condo owner mostly rent out for tourists which bypass the tax system. (most likely).

I fear that the Thai economy is not doing that good as always claimed.

I think that the new rule of heaving 800,000THB in a bank account for certain visa applicants follows the same reason - liquidity.

2. I even would go so far and suspect that this enforcement is intended to lower the inflow of money (mostly from China) in order to release the pressure of the THB. (May be BS may be not)

In any case I guess that the great people which are behind this glory idea to enforce a outdated law are not really aware about the side effects.

I also recognize that most of the TV members are highly underestimate how much the expat community direct or indirect contribute to the GDP of this country.

Also an appeal to the smart TV members which compare immigration to a western country versus to Thailand - the money here flows the other way

There are multi billion (THB) condo and housing projects highly depending on foreigners which are now under enormous pressure due to this law enforcement.

The ones who can not move easily must sit and wait spending and keeping money wisely and have more than ever Plan B in consideration.

There is not much point to live, work, rise children, spend money in a place where you can not move freely.

My guess is that this "ghost" will disappear as quick as it came.

But we will see.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

They don't. There is no guarantee that the Thai person will stay at that address. It's also not a requirement. A visum to the EU will give you the right to travel in all EU countries, without reporting.

I think you never made a Shengen visa for a Thai person

46 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Do you think a Thai girl who wants to travel on her own to Europe will get a Visa that easy? Normally the girls are invited by someone, and that someone are her guarantee. So the border police in that country will know where she is supposed to stay. 

As long as a “Thai girl” can show adequate funds, accommodation and good reason to return to Thailand there’ll be no visa issues. Not all “Thai girls” need sponsorship to travel.

12 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Yes  I  have twice

Just keep the facts

your reply was about invitation of a Thai person and if you do so you are responsible for this person.

If something serious happen your address is relevant.

5 hours ago, Mainhattencitizen said:

Yinn, that is fair. If Thais go to my country Germany they do not have to report to Immigration every 90 days and they do not have to make an extension of stay every year for 1900 Baht. Now you start helping me, ok?

"Aufenthaltsgenehmigung" costs about 150 Euros for 3 years.

Most Thai laws are designed by/for Thai police to part a foreigner from his money.

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

If thai can go to your country and must not have fill out document

If Thai can go to my country, they can own 100% of their own house.  In Thailand farangs can own only 49% - is this fair?

It is fun and traveling around Thailand for 90 days
If your friends ask you what you saw of Thailand you can answer the immigration offices .. I bring my sleeping bag and sleep outside immigration or police stations. so I'm first in line to catch the bus to the next city or place and do the same there.

It is fun to be a tourist in a country that welcomes you with open arms ..

mo.jpg

8 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I have said this 100's of times before. Whatever the priority or concern starts off as, by the time, the governmental system to address the concern has been devised and implemented and filtered down to the front line, it turns into a revenue-raising scheme. This applies to all public sector entities here.

The reason is each ministry, agency, state enterprise, etc. functions in the same way. The higher you go, the more you pay for your position and you need to keep raising revenue constantly to 1. recoup your outlay, 2. subsidise your low salary to meet expectations and have a lifestyle commensurate to your position, education and qualifications and level of responsibility and 3. perhaps most importantly, keep funneling regular payments up the pyramid to your patron/manager.

No public sector entity can stop raising revenue or the whole pyramid will collapse.

Spot on and in my opinion nothing else than a ministerial branch of tourism business. Think for a minute about what all the involved 'officials' should do, i.e. earn money on with a efficient non corrupt system.

11 hours ago, Yinn said:

If thai can go to your country and must not have fill out document, then I will help you ask the thai government to do same for you. Is fair.

98% of foreigner come to thailand don’t even know about this 30 document. Because the hotel do it for them.

Yes. Thais can go to virtually any western democracy and not have to report their whereabouts every 24 hours. If it isn’t clear to you by now, you are a citizen of a police state.

looking forward to your support in this matter

11 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

I posted this on another TM30 article and seems appropriate to also post on this one.

"The whole TM30 needs to be scrapped!

It is not about being fined, not about all the additional paperwork you are faced with, or the inconvenience. It is about how it makes all foreigners automatically persons of suspicion of being criminals or undesirables and feeling unwelcome by the Thai government. 

I doubt if any of the purposeful overstayers, criminal wanted by Interpol, ever filed a TM30. So the Bulls..t of needing it for National Security, is just an overblown crock of s..t.

Even the foreign media sources, including those in China, see it for what it is. It is to make the legitimate, law-abiding Expats feel unwelcome.

No longer the "Land of Smiles" now the "Land of Suspicion"."

Good points. Yeah, I was saying something similar to your 'unwelcome' comment and was had a poster go off on me. Ha. Let's not be naive about the situation and call it for what it is, I say.

10 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Can't take it away as it's already a part of their "income". Unless we pay another fee to make up for the loss

A TM 30 does not cost anything ... so how could it be part of "income"?

It is costs to the IO as they have to do the work and get nothing. Thai tax payers pay for it, not visitors.

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

In my country, every Thai visitor enjoys the same rights as a citizen.

Nope ... no idea what your country is, but nope.

You land at the airport, immigration does now want to get in: no way to get in as a non citizen. No lawyer, no judge, you get sent back right away. As in every country. But thanks that you have those illusions, it somehow makes you seem symphatic.

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why should they want you? Are immigrants or tourists ever really wanted - rather näive to think so.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

To help teach someone how to develop and implement a functional TM30 reporting application worthy of 2019 of course...

Ironic isn't it?

????

3 hours ago, Enki said:

Nope ... no idea what your country is, but nope.

You land at the airport, immigration does now want to get in: no way to get in as a non citizen. No lawyer, no judge, you get sent back right away. As in every country. But thanks that you have those illusions, it somehow makes you seem symphatic.

Yes, and once they let you in they do not require that you report your whereabouts every 24 hours. Obviously, every country has an immigration desk and a passport check. Your argument in favour of this ridiculous requirement is completely specious.

I for one am happy to see that they are holding property owners responsible for doing this, like they should have been doing from the start.

Expecting the foreign tenants to report their own whereabouts (just because it's "easier") and fining them when it doesn't happen in time is ridiculous and defies what little logic there is behind the whole system.

16 hours ago, Saltire said:

So this week I went to renew my TM30 on my way back from Bangkok city which was a 5 minute job, but when I showed them the email for the online registration (5 weeks and no login details yet) thinking they may set me up there and then, the (different) IO said 'can not, for Thai only, you not hotel'. When I said their colleague advised differently I got the 'can not' again pretty firmly. Sometimes you can't win for the continual movement of the goalposts.  

That's because most of them don't know or aren't familiar with the Laws, regulations. As is often the case, the individuals own interpretation prevails and there will always be confusion because of this...

12 hours ago, randy723 said:

I spend over 2 million bath per year, supposing my Thai our 2 kids and helping her family, but I have almost decided it is not worth living here under all these things that the Thai government is putting on me and all expats. I am almost ready to leave the country, have loved for over 15 years and spend my money in another country.

I do not know how much if any Thailand losing my 2 plus million per year would hurt, but I do know that if Thailand lost most or all the expats it would really hurt the good people in Thailand that depend on us.

They want all the expats to leave and that way they can suppress the poor even more.

Do you really think a fascist government likes foreigners enlightening Thais about civilised countries and real democracy. Plus giving them money and enabling them to get out of the quagmire

They want to keep them down........................down down down

The goal is for all power to stem from Bangkok with only a few allowed to vote in a plutocracy.

Archived