Britain's Queen could be asked to suspend parliament on Wednesday: BBC journalist

webfact

1 hour ago, teatree said:

Hurling insults just shows you don't have an argument.

As John Stewart Mills said, if you cannot understand the opposing view in its most cogent form then what right do you have to be so confident in your own?

You are pretty much just calling people who you disagree with smelly poo heads.  

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck why shouldn't you call it "duck"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

It's not just protocol. She had a choice. She was well within her rights to refuse to prorogue her parliament. If she had been the people's queen and had any respect for her own parliament, that's what she would have done.

However, she decided to side with her own, Reece Mogg, Johnson and the rest of the Eton and Oxford upper class twits, showing her true colours. Not the people's queen, the head of an establishment that ensures that the UK is the most class concious country in the Western World.

Post brexit, there will no doubt be an even more vociferous campaign to remove her and her fetid brood from what's left of the UK. They can go back to Germany and live out their days there, no longer a burden on the british treasury.

"go back to Germany and live out their days there" - how very anti European of you!

15 minutes ago, teatree said:

Oh the irony!

It is the EU that is a protectionist club and the UK which is reaching out across the globe.

That's wonderful that the UK is reaching out.

And who do you expect will give the UK any better deal then they had with the EU? The USA? China? Who?

And I wonder which countries will bother at all trying to make a deal with the UK. They all can see how that worked with the EU. Years of work, a ready deal, but then no deal. A total waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Not to it's members it isn't and it's a huge market.

Reaching out to the world? Yes, using WTO standards.

How long do you think it will take to hammer out trade deals with 20 or 30 separate other countries? Do you think that those trade deals will be one-sided that will overwhelmingly favour the UK?

Of course, at the same time these trade deals are being haggled over, people will be struggling with increased prices and job losses. Do you think that bargaining from a position of weakness will benefit the UK? How do you compare the bargaining strength of the UK alone compared to the EU?

It seems you want to try logic with Brexiters.

Logic works only with logically thinking people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

In Belgium King Baudoin refused to sign the law about abortion, out of conscience (1990). 

He was declared by Parliament in the impossibility to raign for 36 hours. 

The abortion law was implemented in this period, thus without the Kings signature. 

The King expressed his opinion, showing He was not a marionette. 

Nauseus, you commented this post with a " Sad " emoticon.

Fine.

Except it is not clear what you  consider as being sad :

The abortion law itself ?

The fact that the King was declared impossible to raign ?

The King expressing an own opinion ?

15 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

How about the fact that under EU rules we always had sovereignty... it is all just hyperbole and meaningless statements with no grounding in reality

Most awesome (unintended) ironical post of the day award goes to...

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

Fine.

Sadness is responding to emoticons.

True sadness is suing them in the first place.

14 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I too have found brexiteers have a lot in common with Thais. Xenophobic, absence of logic, worried about "face" and always blame someone else for their faults.

With the amount of bait thrown around in various guises what do you expect?

Edited by evadgib

7 minutes ago, teatree said:

The EU is shrinking in terms of its share of world trade.  Currently around 15% and fading fast.

The future is in global trade not just little EU.

Did you do the math about the percentage of the UK? That should give you an idea how important the UK is in this world.

I know sometimes it's hard to accept reality. But reality just won't go away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, teatree said:
28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck why shouldn't you call it "duck"?

Because smearing people is not a convincing tactic.

Yes, I agree with that.

But I think the process works like this:

First people try to talk with other people and find similar ground and look at facts.

With some people that works just fine.

But then with others it's impossible to agree on facts because some people just ignore facts. And arguing with them is like arguing with religious fanatics. They believe! And they don't believe in facts.

So what's the result of that: It is impossible to convince people who ignore facts. And then it's easy to call them names.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Fine.

I was sad that this Belgian example has been used as a (false) comparison to yesterday's British constitutional event, which it is not. In your case, it seems that King Baudouin actually requested the Belgian Government to declare him temporarily unable to reign, so that he could avoid signing the measure into law. He did not want to sign it for (Catholic) religious reasons which is understandable.

But thanks for spelling my name correctly!

Edited by nauseus

3 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

The UK as a present member of the EU is part of 40 free trade deals that trade with 70 countries.

Once the EU leaves, it will have to negotiate with these 70 countries again.

How long do you think that will take just to get the UK where it is presently?

Do you think that it will be free trade with all 70 countries, or do you reckon there might be a few tariffs involved?

Until these trade deals come into being, the UK will have to trade under WTO rules (which ain't very good) and the British people will suffer price increases and not an insignificant amount of job losses.

If you don't agree, please feel free to add yet another "sad" or, "confused" emoticon to this post.

Calm down dear, I havnt reacted to any of your posts.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, I agree with that.

But I think the process works like this:

First people try to talk with other people and find similar ground and look at facts.

With some people that works just fine.

But then with others it's impossible to agree on facts because some people just ignore facts. And arguing with them is like arguing with religious fanatics. They believe! And they don't believe in facts.

So what's the result of that: It is impossible to convince people who ignore facts. And then it's easy to call them names.

And I could easily apply the same logic to the way you post on here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As far as I'm concerned, the people that voted for Brexit didn't care about the economy. They voted for "sovereignty" and "immigration". As shown on this thread, the Brexit camp doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to the economy.

It's very telling that none of these Brexit supporters want to discuss the real reason they voted the way they did; sovereignty and immigration. I agree that immigration policy was far too lax and there are many places now where native-born Brits feel like they are living in a foreign country. The shear ungratefulness shown by the 7/7 bombers and immigrants trying to dictate how Britain should be run. This gets up my nose just as much.

But, I look at the immigration problems the same way I look at gun control in the USA.

Yes, something should have been done, but, the time for action was decades ago. That boat sailed long ago. It's far too late now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

I was sad that this Belgian example has been used as a (false) comparison to yesterday's British constitutional event

Your opinion you of course are entitled to have.

Anyway thanks for answering, except I don't understand the thing about your name ( I assume maybe some kind of English humor ).