Britain's Queen could be asked to suspend parliament on Wednesday: BBC journalist

webfact

7 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Suck it up!

Boris will,  and swallow it ,   sooner than expected . 

Another day , another jolly...

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Yes, I'm REALLY sure.

You see, in UK you cannot vote for a PM candidate en general elections. The political party that wins the most seats in the House of Commons at a general election usually forms the new government. Its leader becomes Prime Minister (appointed by the Queen). It may come as a surprise to you, but it is in fact the public who votes in a general election.

Now, I know all of this is complex and difficult to understand for someone who's never contemplated this before. For this reason, I have been kind enough to look up the information on the Parliament web site. I suggest you spend some time to read and digest the information therein.

Good luck!

https://www.parliament.uk/education/about-your-parliament/general-elections/

Sorry - so does he have the PUBLICS mandate (leaving aside all the polls to confirm he hasn't) to take the UK out with no deal ?

Take your time now …….

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Polls can be manipulated, the referendum was a clear intention of what the British voters wanted, I am truly sorry it did not go the way you would have liked, but sometimes life is not fair, please respect what was voted for.

It has not been democratic for the remainers to try and overturn that referendum decision for the last 3 years. 

You have never tried to compromise, it has always been about stopping what was democratically voted for and now the remainers are paying the price, I just wonder how many MPs from the Labour Party had wished they had voted for Mays deal now, well it looks like that ship has sailed.

Not really

Now BJ is enacting a new session , he is free to bring back the WA 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

It is not their "democratic right" to overrule a democratic majority vote which they were elected to uphold according to their last General Election manifestoes (Tory & Labour)!

That vote was to leave.  There was nothing in the referendum regarding deals

According to a recent you gov poll 80% of MPs think they have the right to vote in Parliament on what they want even if if they know their constituents dont want it. However, only 7% of constituents believe this to be the case. Thus the disconnect between real people and the arrogant political classes.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/08/26/time-to-burst-the-westminster-bubble/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

According to a recent you gov poll 80% of MPs think they have the right to vote in Parliament on what they want even if if they know their constituents dont want it. However, only 7% of constituents believe this to be the case. Thus the disconnect between real people and the arrogant political classes.

Constitutionally the MPs are correct.

See Edward Burke

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, citybiker said:

That’ll be no reply to post #270

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is a reply mandatory ? However out of courtesy I went back and looked and there was no question there ???

So back to the present - did the latest Brexit plunge in the pound recover today ? Someone mentioned it did ...

Whilst here - why isn't the pound rising on the back of Brexit (22nd request) - I've tried all the other brexiteers but nothing yet ….

• Haha 1

Not really
Now BJ is enacting a new session , he is free to bring back the WA 
Genuinely, why would a new PM being back an already thrice rejected WA?

IIRC there's about 175 clauses & reasons to ensure the Brussels toilet paper is firmly dead.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

That has ALWAYS been the case else hunting with dogs would have been consigned to the medieval bin decades ago and people would still be subject to public executions !

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cleopatra2 said:

Constitutionally the MPs are correct.

See Edward Burke

I am well aware of Burke as I had to study him 49 years ago. His opinion between  loyalty to party versus loyalty to constituency is just that: an opinion and it has been heavily critiqued. And he was most certainly not espousing this view in context of a rederendum or how to challenge the results of a democratic referendum ordered by parliament. BTW Constituents at party level can deselect MPs who do not represent their interest.

• Like 2

You are aware that a) Bojo voted for it and even today that Boris is happy with 174 of those clauses ?

Keep up
Thanks for the unnecessary reminder I'm fully aware of protocol & current proceedings.

Which still doesn't answer the question of why would Boris return an already rejected WA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

I really do wish the darn Brits would take their problems back to their homeland with them - not here.  The rest of us frankly don't give a rodent's behind.

Makes me wonder why you opened the thread up in the first place and took time to comment on it.

• Like 1

Queen approves suspension of parliament! Prime Minister Boris Johnson will suspend Britain’s parliament for more than a month before Brexit, enraging opponents and raising the stakes in the country’s most serious political crisis in decades

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

“It is this day ordered by Her Majesty in Council that the Parliament be prorogued on a day no earlier than Monday the 9th day of September and no later than Thursday the 12th day of September 2019 to Monday the 14th day of October 2019,”

You have to love Boris - very clever!

Edited by Banana7
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Queen approves suspension of parliament! Prime Minister Boris Johnson will suspend Britain’s parliament for more than a month before Brexit, enraging opponents and raising the stakes in the country’s most serious political crisis in decades

I haven't reviewed the details of the suspension, but presumably, the house of commons would have been closed for three weeks anyway due to the annual party congressional work...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Forethat said:

I haven't reviewed the details of the suspension, but presumably, the house of commons would have been closed for three weeks anyway due to the annual party congressional work...?

MPs return from their summer break on Sept. 3, suspend parliament Sept. 12, Queen's speech on Oct. 14 - all approved!

LetterBJ1.jpg

Edited by Banana7

3 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

That has ALWAYS been the case else hunting with dogs would have been consigned to the medieval bin decades ago and people would still be subject to public executions !

No. People used to want to bring back capital punishment for certain crimes but there is irrefutable logic not to do so which most people accept in the wake of the Hanratty case. There was never a call for public executions.  Anti Fox hunting legislation is a combination of misplaced sentiment and anti toff attitudes combined with townies' ignorance of country ways. Unfortunately the anti fox hunting legislation eventually gained popular support. So in both examples MPs were not voting against the will of the people. They were supporting it.

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Haha 1