Thailand to acquire 120 U.S. armoured vehicles

Jonathan Fairfield

25 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Yeah, but didn't Obama buy bailout,General Motors with American taxpayer money?

So did Harper (Conservative Party) in Canada. They thanked us by closing their locomotive (London) and largest auto (Oshawa)  manufacturing plants.  I've only bought GM products the last 45 years but no more. 

10 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

This country disgusts me more and more every day.

Recently visited a Thai friend critically ill at a government hospital.

APPALLING was the first word that came to mind when I walked into this disgrace they call hospital.

I thought I had travelled back in time to WWII !

And these incompetent corrupt losers in Bangkok have nothing better to do than waste our taxes on this garbage from the US only to use it again against their own people when the time comes.

Time for FFP to clean up this mess of a country for once and for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Time for you to return to your own native paradise I reckon.

• Like 2

This country disgusts me more and more every day.
Recently visited a Thai friend critically ill at a government hospital.
APPALLING was the first word that came to mind when I walked into this disgrace they call hospital.

I thought I had travelled back in time to WWII !
And these incompetent corrupt losers in Bangkok have nothing better to do than waste our taxes on this garbage from the US only to use it again against their own people when the time comes.

Time for FFP to clean up this mess of a country for once and for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Curious which country you are from that has no poor people and does not spend on military.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RLAretired said:

Chachoengsao, eh?  Is there some threat of invasion from Cambodia in that direction? 

Chachoengsao is close to Bangkok.  Excellent expressway between the two.  And a railway also.

In the other direction, easy to reach into Isaarn from that base.

Can't help but wonder what "contingency" is being planned for with all these armored vehicles.

Many countries in the world buy stuff like this to replace old vehicles to keep the army ready for anything. 

They are getting a good deal with the free ones.

11 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The base there is tasked with providing security for Suwannabumi Airport and Laem Chabang port I read recently. The rest of the APC's are to quell dissent in Bangkok if needed. There are no enemies elsewhere.

At least this purchase makes a little more sense than buying submarines..!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

time to shoot some citizens again, they haven't done it for quite a while

it's not like Thai army ever fought against someone else

The army actually gave a good account of itself in the Franco - Thailand war of 1940/41 in Indochina. It ended in an honourable draw, but it looks like an early incarnation of TAT was supplying the French casualty figures.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

.they shouldn't break down like the Ukrainian units they purchased at great cost!

Are you referring to Thailand's delivery of Ukraine's Oplot T-84 main battle tanks in 2017 & 2018? Hardly comparable to any army 8-wheeled armored vehicles.  https://www.armyrecognition.com/march_2018_global_defense_security_army_news_industry/delivery_of_ukrainian_oplot_t-84_main_mbt_to_thailand_ended_successfully.html

Unless you can reference the breakdown of Thailand's Oplot T-84 MBT, I'd say your statement is more hyperbole than fact.

Or are you referring to Thailand's recent interest in Ukraine's BTR-3 8X8 armored fighting vehicle?

It's unknown as to whether the Thailand military will purchase any of these vehicles. But what is clear is that none have been built. Therefore, none could have been purchased by Thailand. So I'm left unclear as to what Ukrainian armored vehicles you believe have broken down in Thailand.

13 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand's military plans to acquire 120 American-made armoured vehicles by 2020,

Money that could be used in so many better ways... just toys for the boys to make sure they use the budget!!

11 hours ago, Banana7 said:

China is a real and genuine threat to Thailand and democracy. China is snuffing out any hint of democracy, as we see in Hong Kong. China plans to slowly erode all democracy in Southeast Asia.

Thailand doesn't want to be taking orders from Beijing.

Thailand: not a democracy

Laos: not a democracy

Vietnam: not a democracy

Brunei: not a democracy

Singapore: not a democracy

Burma: not a democracy

Cambodia: a parody of democracy

China has not much to erode... 

And until now China has been much more tolerant about Hong Kong prostestors than, say, France (the self-proclaimed land of human rights) about its yellow vest protestors... 

Anyway, we now know on which side Thailand will be during the coming war between the US and China, meaning that Thailand will be bombed over and over, instead of enjoying peace by staying neutral... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JAG said:

According to Wikipedia they are second hand/refurbished rather than new.

I wonder whether they will have the various bolt on additional armour (ceramic armour plates and slat armour cages to defeat RPGs) that were fitted to them as a result of experience in Iraq? They don't appear to have the new V shaped hull which is designed to be resistant to buried IEDs.

Mind you, they also have the ability to send text messages - which should go down a storm here!

The machine gun mounting, capable of being operated remotely from inside the vehicle, will be jolly useful in a hostile urban environment - no need to poke your head out of the top when you want to shoot at angry people on rooftops who may be throwing or firing things at you.

Could be a stock photo.

13 hours ago, JAG said:

According to Wikipedia they are second hand/refurbished rather than new.

I wonder whether they will have the various bolt on additional armour (ceramic armour plates and slat armour cages to defeat RPGs) that were fitted to them as a result of experience in Iraq? They don't appear to have the new V shaped hull which is designed to be resistant to buried IEDs.

Mind you, they also have the ability to send text messages - which should go down a storm here!

The machine gun mounting, capable of being operated remotely from inside the vehicle, will be jolly useful in a hostile urban environment - no need to poke your head out of the top when you want to shoot at angry people on rooftops who may be throwing or firing things at you.

They might come in handy when China says it's time to pay up. 

Impressive that Thailand is just slightly larger than the province of Alberta, Canada but has twice the military force of Canada. Mind you, our Canadian Forces are almost back to muskets & a few canoes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I'm always deeply sceptical about lines drawn in sand - the first wave usually erases them.

If the intention of the US is to mark a firm limit to Chinese influence from Cambodia along that border, then they would have to base a lot of troops along it. Neither they (the US) nor the Thais are doing so. Certainly these vehicles are capable of being modified and reconfigured for a wide variety of roles, but that requires a significant logistical and manufacturing base, which Thailand lacks, and their use in that way requires a degree of training and constant practice which may be neither affordable nor achievable. Nor do I think that, if a threat does emerge, the Thais will be willing to hand over their "gucci" kit to any arriving US forces. I think that you're right about "offloading surplus kit", they have found a buyer for some refurbished obsolescent APCs which they no longer need. This purchase will do nothing to change the current military "balance of power" in South East Asia. It is for "internal use" .

Excellent points. If I may...

Modification and reconfiguration does not necessarily entail an industrial base but can be performed at a depot. I assume that the sale includes the necessary training and equipment for that.

There is no buildup at the border...today. in addition, the geography favours the defense. One doesn't need to defend the whole border,much of which is impassable.

If bullets are flying, and our boys show up, the Thais will cooperate. Quite frankly, absent our air and sea power, SE Asia would be a Chinese province. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Thailand: not a democracy

Laos: not a democracy

Vietnam: not a democracy

Brunei: not a democracy

Singapore: not a democracy

Burma: not a democracy

Cambodia: a parody of democracy

China has not much to erode... 

And until now China has been much more tolerant about Hong Kong prostestors than, say, France (the self-proclaimed land of human rights) about its yellow vest protestors... 

Anyway, we now know on which side Thailand will be during the coming war between the US and China, meaning that Thailand will be bombed over and over, instead of enjoying peace by staying neutral... 

China is a brutal expansionist power  that pays homage to the murderous Marxist ideology that has killed millions.

France doesn't have concentration camps do they? Does Thailand? Let's not forget the uighers. Imperfect democracies are better than the raw naked fascism of China.

There won't be a shooting war between the USA and China. That's a war history teaches us they can't win. Doubt the present Chinese regime will survive as it is past the next few years, unless the west loses its will.

• Like 2