Denied Entry at Don Muang Airport.

Two days ago I was denied entry at Don Muang Airport for not carrying 20,000 baht on me.  They kept me in the detention area for 16 hours before I flew back to Laos.  I have had a lot of visa exempt stamps over the last 3 years but ive also had 2 work permits.  They stamped nothing in my passport but I had to sign a bunch of paperwork saying I got kicked out.   I would like to return to Chiang Mai but I am not sure what the best way to proceed is?  Right now I have an appointment for a tourist visa tomorrow at the Vientiane consulate.  Is there any other visa I can apply for?  One of the visa officers told me to get a visa that is not tourist but I can't find any that I can apply for without a job lined up.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tim8956 said:

Is there any other visa I can apply for?

No. 

You will only get a Non-immigrant visa with supporting paperwork for the reason you’re applying; e.g. visit family, work, study.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No. 

You will only get a Non-immigrant visa with supporting paperwork for the reason you’re applying; e.g. visit family, work, study.

Even though you might not have a stamp in your passport you will show up on the computer. Your best bet is to first apply for a tourist visa as you do not have supporting documents. Some consulates except emailed scan copies but not Vientiane .  What country are you from? Sometimes it is better to return home and apply there. 

Edited by OffshoreMig
minor spelling typo error
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, taninthai said:

Lol he is telling you to get the elite visa cost half a million bht????????????

More likely he means get a visa and don't try visa exempt.

Get a tourist visa and work out a way to come back in through a land border, assuming you haven't done that twice this year already.

PS.  Don't use Poipet crossing.

• Thanks 1

OP, you mention vague detail... you mention LOTS of visa exempt and couple work permits. What you have not mentioned is time in los and more important time out of Thailand over 3 yrs. You could easily be denied setv from Vientiane. 

Member very recently had similar history and at Saigon had ed visa issued and stamped void. Notheless he flew Saigon - CM and ommited visa exempt. I assume you have used your visa exempt border crossings for this calendar yr. If you obtain setv I would not fly to bkk. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

Even though you might not have a stamp in your passport you will show up on the computer. Your best bet is to first apply for a tourist visa as you do not have supporting documents. Some consulates except emailed scan copies but not Vientiane .  What country are you from? Sometimes it is better to return home and apply there. 

I am from the USA.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, overherebc said:

More likely he means get a visa and don't try visa exempt.

Get a tourist visa and work out a way to come back in through a land border, assuming you haven't done that twice this year already.

PS.  Don't use Poipet crossing.

I thought the 2 land border was only for visa exempt.  Is it for all types of visas?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you mention vague detail... you mention LOTS of visa exempt and couple work permits. What you have not mentioned is time in los and more important time out of Thailand over 3 yrs. You could easily be denied setv from Vientiane. 

Member very recently had similar history and at Saigon had ed visa issued and stamped void. Notheless he flew Saigon - CM and ommited visa exempt. I assume you have used your visa exempt border crossings for this calendar yr. If you obtain setv I would not fly to bkk. 

I have spent almost no time in bangkok maybe a week or two over the last 3 years.    I have spent about 3 or 4 months outside of Thailand.   I worked at a school for about 7 months and had another work permit very briefly for a job that didnt work out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tim8956 said:

Does it look bad if I get denied for the tourist visa or does it not really matter?  Could my girlfriend go back to Chaing Mai and send me documents for an education visa?

Possible but I would reckon you're pushing your luck on that one.

Don't you need paperwork from whatever school etc??

Doubt they would supply to your girlfriend.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Possible but I would reckon you're pushing your luck on that one.

Don't you need paperwork from whatever school etc??

Doubt they would supply to your girlfriend.

Agree. OP, your question above re limits to visa exempt. ...the limit of 2 per calendar yr is for border crossings. There is no limit for visa exempt via air. Having said that you would have good chance of denied entry at DM. 

Personally I would fly to CM. Not sure flights from Vientiane to CM. 

As I mentioned earlier a member got into all sorts of trouble in Saigon applied for visa which was issued then void. He rolled dice and flew to CM from Saigon. Allowed entry visa exempt. You have IMO 2 choice...apply for setv if fail try fly CM. Not DM.

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

This time in Saigon I got my O ok but as I posted on another thread at pick up I noticed some passports set to one side with all the application paperwork attached and heard one person being told that the application had been denied.

Obviously I don't know what visas or why denied.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Agree. OP, your question above re limits to visa exempt. ...the limit of 2 per calendar yr is for border crossings. There is no limit for visa exempt via air. Having said that you would have good chance of denied entry at DM. 

Personally I would fly to CM. Not sure flights from Vientiane to CM. 

As I mentioned earlier a member got into all sorts of trouble in Saigon applied for visa which was issued then void. He rolled dice and flew to CM from Saigon. Allowed entry visa exempt. You have IMO 2 choice...apply for setv if fail try fly CM. Not DM.

Good luck. 

I know someone who is married to a Thai woman, but refuses to do the extension based on marriage, so he flies to Vietnam and back to CM every three months (I forget exactly how he arranges the 90 days from the visa exempt on arrival, but it involves extensions). He has done this at least 4 times in a row back-to-back without a problem. I believe it will be an issue at some point, but it does suggest that CM is a bit more accommodating.

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

This time in Saigon I got my O ok but as I posted on another thread at pick up I noticed some passports set to one side with all the application paperwork attached and heard one person being told that the application had been denied.

Obviously I don't know what visas or why denied.

I realize I'm going off topic but still think useful info to folk obtaining visas in Saigon. 

Years ago when you could just live in thailand VE, I did that for years. I was already over 50. Then things tightened up. I obtain triple setv (when they existed) at Saigon. My next time the lady said...."why you no get retirement visa. She meant non o. That was few years back. I took her advice and got non o at Vientiane. Rest is history. Fact is its FAR FAR worse now. 

What is next step for this OP and all the others in same boat. Think ahead rather than get stuck with lot of s### in los bike etc and no way to tie up loose ends.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, timendres said:

I know someone who is married to a Thai woman, but refuses to do the extension based on marriage, so he flies to Vietnam and back to CM every three months (I forget exactly how he arranges the 90 days from the visa exempt on arrival, but it involves extensions). He has done this at least 4 times in a row back-to-back without a problem. I believe it will be an issue at some point, but it does suggest that CM is a bit more accommodating.

He has a multi entry to visit wife. He is not entering Thailand visa exempt. Anyway your not married. Best deal with your own means of reenter to los. Also if you do obtain entry say CM visa exempt that gives you 30+ 30extension.

What after that.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He has a multi entry to visit wife. He is not entering Thailand visa exempt. Anyway your not married. Best deal with your own means of reenter to los. Also if you do obtain entry say CM visa exempt that gives you 30+ 30extension.

What after that.

I assure you that he is getting visa exempts, because I specifically inquired about that (I did not believe it when he told me, but he showed me the passport stamps). He truly believes it is his "charming demeanor" (direct quote) that is allowing him to pull it off. I have warned him he is one IO away from denial. The point is that CNX does appear to be a little more "forgiving" than DMK or BKK.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I realize I'm going off topic but still think useful info to folk obtaining visas in Saigon. 

Years ago when you could just live in thailand VE, I did that for years. I was already over 50. Then things tightened up. I obtain triple setv (when they existed) at Saigon. My next time the lady said...."why you no get retirement visa. She meant non o. That was few years back. I took her advice and got non o at Vientiane. Rest is history. Fact is its FAR FAR worse now. 

What is next step for this OP and all the others in same boat. Think ahead rather than get stuck with lot of s### in los bike etc and no way to tie up loose ends.

I'm already planning for all the consulates stopping multi O's as UK.

Means for me going back to uk for an O-A ( including insurance ). 

Probably buy a small house there and fit 6/6 with my wife getting 6 months visas for it.

She's not interested in living full time in UK so it seems a good plan. (at the moment ????).

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I'm already planning for all the consulates stopping multi O's as UK.

Means for me going back to uk for an O-A ( including insurance ). 

Probably buy a small house there and fit 6/6 with my wife getting 6 months visas for it.

She's not interested in living full time in UK so it seems a good plan. (at the moment ????).

Overherebc, thinking you have sorta a good plan. Don't think many Thai would cop 6 in UK. Got couple mates in that boat and as you know Thai miss Thailand. But back to OP. I have mentioned in few threads re why don't some under 50,s spend time in other SE Asia countries. I don't mean overnight.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I assure you that he is getting visa exempts, because I specifically inquired about that (I did not believe it when he told me, but he showed me the passport stamps). He truly believes it is his "charming demeanor" (direct quote) that is allowing him to pull it off. I have warned him he is one IO away from denial. The point is that CNX does appear to be a little more "forgiving" than DMK or BKK.

You friend possibly doing visa exempt then getting 60 day extension based on having a wife .

2 land border crossing rule relates to visa exempt only ...

No hassle option is elite, everything else is messy hassle with varying success rate pending on luck and due diligence applied ...

58 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your either very confused or just having bit of fun. 

I can guarantee you of one thing. He is not getting 90 day permission of stay based on charming or hassum man. You start a thread and ask for info which has been given by patient members.

I am not confused, and I did not start this thread. Thus, someone is confused, but it is not me. I never stated that he was getting 90 day permission of stay. I stated he was getting visa on arrival that he was able to extend, but I am not sure if it is for a total of 60 days or 90 days - I thought he said 90. What I do know, and there is no confusion about it, is that he has landed at CNX 4 times in a row with a VOA. Your guarantee aside, I have looked at the passport and seen the stamps. I mentioned it simply to indicate that he seems to be dodging the bullet at CNX, and that may be of interest to the OP.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

You friend possibly doing visa exempt then getting 60 day extension based on having a wife .

2 land border crossing rule relates to visa exempt only ...

You are correct about the extension being based on being married to a Thai national.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Lasting 5 years, no deposits needed, no visa runs...cost less than 200 baht a day.

More like 273 bht a day.....nearly 8,500 a month,,it’s not that cheap especially if he using gbp????????????.......but that’s a whole other thread.

Savannakhet at one point was suggesting people get transit visas. If your plan is to move to a Non Ed, a transit visa could provide you the time to get the documents together to return to Vientiane to apply for one. Warning: document requirements for Non Ed visas in Vientiane (and Ho Chi Minh City) have recently changed. Make sure the school you are dealing with is able to provide what you need.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim8956 said:

Two days ago I was denied entry at Don Muang Airport for not carrying 20,000 baht on me.  They kept me in the detention area for 16 hours before I flew back to Laos.  I have had a lot of visa exempt stamps over the last 3 years but ive also had 2 work permits.  They stamped nothing in my passport but I had to sign a bunch of paperwork saying I got kicked out.   I would like to return to Chiang Mai but I am not sure what the best way to proceed is?  Right now I have an appointment for a tourist visa tomorrow at the Vientiane consulate.  Is there any other visa I can apply for?  One of the visa officers told me to get a visa that is not tourist but I can't find any that I can apply for without a job lined up.  Thanks in advance for any help.

1. Had a lot of visa exempts and work permits = i.e familiarity with Thai visas. 

2. Unfamiliarity with visas.

3. I hope you have the documents for your application of SETV ready?

4. Last minute appointment on Vientiane visa appointment system? Quick indeed, lucky you.

5. You were not aware of the 20K monetary requirement after all your visas exempts and time spent in Thailand? Work permits? Years?

6. Welcome to Thai visa forum.

Sorry, too many flags, cannot entertain this thread too long. I don't know if it's to get clicks or to influence public opinion, but it does not matter.

Types of visas are published on the MFA and Embassies' websites, with all the requirements. Good luck.

Edited by lkv
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, timendres said:

I had this "unique charm", too, and was able to charm my way to 10-14 VE per year between 2014-2017 until I got my NON-O ME based on marriage in my home country. Now, thinking about it, I think the rules were more relaxed back then but was having really good luck at the time. Dumb luck ???? Maybe that is a phase we have when moving here, until we get thrown out or come to our senses ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1