18 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Depart Roi et (ROI) by air @ 1100.

Arrive Don Muang  (DMK) @ 1155.

Check into hotel @ 1300

Hotel does TM-30

Depart Hotel next Day @ 0630

Depart Don Muang (DMK) @0830

Arrive Roi et (ROI) @0925

Am I required to fill out TM-30? Only been gone 22 ½ hours.  Will I need to keep my travel Itinerary to show to Immigration my next trip there? Just a point to show how ridiculous this is.

Certainly the IO will be impressed when you show him the details.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Check into hotel @ 1300

Hotel does TM-30

Am I required to fill out TM-30? Only been gone 22 ½ hours.  Will I need to keep my travel Itinerary to show to Immigration my next trip there? Just a point to show how ridiculous this is.

According to the latest advice from Roi Et Immigration, yes.

If you stay anywhere regardless of the length of time, if a TM30 was filed in another Province, you must refile a new TM30 on arrival at your locally registered address in Roi Et.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

There is no 24 hour rule.

The law says when the foreigner "เข้าพักอาศัย" he needs to be reported.

So the question is what is the definition of "เข้าพักอาศัย" in this law.

There is no 100% clear interpration of it, imho the usual one is: Entering a place with the intention to stay there overnight

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason
that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

I think it's pretty clear what 'stay' means.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason
that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official
of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

a) Complying with this section of the law be done using form TM27. Have you ever heard of anybody submitting form TM27? I haven't, this section of the law is not enforced at all, even less than TM28.

b) It clearly says "cannot stay", not "doesn't stay" or "don't want to stay". So if you just don't want to stay at this place there is no obligation to submit TM27. The reason that they don't even try to enforce is probably that it's just impossible to do.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I think it's pretty clear what 'stay' means.

In most case yes, but it's easy to construct a bunch of cases where the general interpretation of it will fail.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

a) This would be done using form TM27. Have you ever heard of anybody submitting form TM27? I haven't, this section of the law is not enforced at all, even less than TM28.

b) It clearly says "cannot stay", not "doesn't stay" or "don't want to stay". So if you just don't want to stay at this place there is no obligation to submit TM27. The reason that they don't even try to enforce is probably that it's just impossible to do.

In most case yes, but it's easy to construct a bunch of cases where the general interpretation of it will fail.

TM28 Jack, there is no TM27.

Previously I'd have agreed, but it isn't your or my interpretation that matters.

TI are clearly using conditions of section 37, applying them to the TM30 requirements.

It clearly states 'Shall stay at the place where indicated'

Clearly if you 'stay' at another place and they file a TM30, then they have informed a competent official of your new place of 'stay'. When you return to the residence you registered with Immigration, then a new TM30 must be filed to report a change in your place of 'stay', from the one previously reported.

That at least appears to be the interpretation of Immigration.

We don't have to agree with it, but it is what it is.

The complete Immigration Act is outdated, and needs rewriting for clarity of the current Immigration situations, not those of 40 years ago.

It's farcical and like the blind leading the blind at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Are you sure? https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1542264289117.pdf

You quoted Section 37 (2) = TM27

Section 37 (3) and (4) = TM28

Section 37 (5) = TM47

I'll stand corrected Jack. Never seen a TM27 before.

It appears to be a newer addition to the list of downloadable forms.

That still doesn't explain why TI are using the TM30 to comply with section 37.

Absolutely nothing in section 38 about this out of Province nonsense.

Edited by Tanoshi

Check into hotel @ 1300
Hotel does TM-30

My mother in law never tells them when i stay in Roiet, [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Before I went to BKK from Hat Yai, I contacted the Immigration, and was told, that I do not need to do another TM30 when traveling to BKK for 48 hours. May be this is the better way to deal with the situation. But always make a note of date, time, place and the name of the IO, who gave you this permission.

• Like 1

Do you have to report? Yes. Should you report? That depends on when you plan to go to Immigration for an extension. Say, a 1 year extension. The hotel will have reported your stay and Immigration, at the time of your application, will see it. You can report now or later. If you report later you will have to pay a fine. If you expect to make several more similar trips before you go to Immigration then they will see those too but the fine is the same. No TM30? No extension. Up to you.

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 1

As we have been reminded, each Immigration office(r) can be different from others. (Maybe even from themselves the precis day :)) 

The hotel should lodge your stay online (informing Thai Immigration). The next time your TM30 reporting is viewed by Immigration you could be fined.

I know this because Chiang Mai Immigration informed me my whereabouts had been lodged at two cities, when I reported my return to Chiang Mai. 

I suggest reporting is a good tactic, maybe try online yourself. 

17 minutes ago, essox essox said:

what if they WANT PROOF ????!!!

Once the hotel has notified Immigration of your stay then it doesn’t matter. When the hotel has filed the TM30 then your address has changed to the hotel. When you arrive home your address will not change to your home until you file the TM30. The 24 hours has become a moot point. The 24 hours to report is based on the time you decide you returned home. 

• Like 2

I reckon in order to make it easer ( for them )  And to reduce the mega confusion which they create for us on a daily basis it will be required an ankle bracelets on us that way the hotel staff and or any relative-s visit-s and any resort-s you’ve stayed at won’t get annoyed to check us in with the immigration, hence don’t have to file anything on our behalf, seriously this is complete nuisance to put it lightly ????????‍♂️

Treating us expats as if we were all prisoners in the land of deception ☹️

What if Thai Imm decided  tightening the thumb screws further.. 

And if DL ID was no longer accepted for domestic air travel, but farangs had to check in with PP, and long distance provincial bus travel also, with reports to Imm.. 

Anything is possible with this BS.. 

How long is a piece of string?? 

I'm sure things would be so different if Big Joe was still around.