Warned against Vientiane for tourist visas for Americans, advised to try Myanmar instead

The guy who handles visa stuff at my school informed me of a couple things

1) Both Vientiane and Savannakhet are beginning to deny 2nd year and above ED language visa applicants at high rates. Stated reason is they don't have a tracking system setup to see who is at what level.

2) To get around this one can get a tourist visa, get a new passport, transfer the tourist visa to the new passport, and apply  as a beginner once again. 

3) However there is also an issue with Vientiane denying tourist visas for Americans. He advised me to go to Myanmar instead although he said he doesn't have much information on the place. But he thought the chances there would be better anyways.

I asked if this issue was specific to his school. He said no, both his agency and other schools are dealing with the same (I don't know what his "agency" is).

I don't have my pulse on these things and am curious if you guys have heard anything similar to the above.

Edited by Hal65

7 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Because its a human rights violation to not have at least one place that is friendly to the under 50s.....

And los is not friendly to under 50,s??

Most of the threads on tvf are about advising that group how to extend stay. I daily add that advice to under 50 group.

"Human rights violation"

That must be good weed 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Because its a human rights violation to not have at least one place that is friendly to the under 50s.....

I keep reading this post and thinking it has gone to #1 for most ridiculous posts of 2019.

After a couple hours of research, my costs are going up but I believe there's still a path. Here's what mine should look like now:

1. Go to Yangon from Don Mueng
  2. Get a tourist visa without hassle
  3. Go from Yangon to Chiang Mai via Bangkok Airways ($160 for this flight)
  4. Fly home from Chiang Mai
  5. Apply for new passport
  6. Transfer tourist visa to new passport
  7. Go to Vientiane again for a 1 year ED visa at beginner level

This will be good for 15 months.

The risk is at step 3. Don Mueng and BKK are both reputed to have a fair amount of denials. I have looked for immigration coming into Chiang Mai from outside the country but have not found any information on it. I suspect they should not be hardened as they probably don't get that many international flights but this is pure speculation and could be wrong.

Step 7 is also still a risk point. I will talk to my school again to confirm the best course. If they suggest Yangon for the ED visa as well, I will do both visas there. I've never heard of Yangon for ED visa runs so this would be another new thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

After a couple hours of research, my costs are going up but I believe there's still a path. Here's what mine should look like now:

The risk is at step 3. Don Mueng and BKK are both reputed to have a fair amount of denials. I have looked for immigration coming into Chiang Mai from outside the country but have not found any information on it. I suspect they should not be hardened as they probably don't get that many international flights but this is pure speculation and could be wrong.

Step 7 is also still a risk point. I will talk to my school again to confirm the best course. If they suggest Yangon for the ED visa as well, I will do both visas there. I've never heard of Yangon for ED visa runs so this would be another new thing.

Good to see that you, your school and the MOE, that need to issue the papers against the same candidate but with a new passport, have worked out a 3 way fraudulent plan that cannot fail.
Now you know why, that very soon, it will be mostly impossible that unless you are married or working, to even get a visa outside of your home country.
Good luck

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

Best luck to you. Let us know what happens. I suppose you could even try to enter by land but that may be just too difficult considering coming from Burma. Yeah, from what I read, and not that much nor long, Chaing Mai seems to be safer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Totoandlilly said:

One day you will find yourself in the same trap when they make it harder to get retirement visa/marriage visa/ elite visa, karma will hit you.

Scare someone will destroy your miserable life and make it more miserable?

another the glass is half empty guy.

Jack takes everything totally literally I have found out, that is why he had to talk about his money.  He is wondering if the half empty comment means his wallet, or something else is small in his pants?  A joke?  What does it mean??

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Hal65 said:

2) To get around this one can get a tourist visa, get a new passport, transfer the tourist visa to the new passport, and apply  as a beginner once again.

Immigrations will still have your record of stays in Thailand available via computer system. Embassies and consulates didn't have that information in the past but someone, I think it was UbonJoe, said even they, at least some of them, can access your history too now.

If you're in the country on a tourist visa entry or extension of stay you can study. Actually if you're in the country on any sort of permission to stay you can study Thai language or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, acenase said:

Vientiane just isn't that user friendly place it once was anymore.

To abused over the years by people living in Thailand and working on ED vises and tourist vises

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Or could it be that ED visas are being used just to enable long stays in Thailand and no-one is really learning anything.

Just sayin'

Read the OP's other post....safest airport in Thailand. He's been on ED visas for 5 years. Should be pretty fluent by now!!

Some people just do not get it. The days of visa running perpetually is drawing to a close.

22 hours ago, Totoandlilly said:

One day you will find yourself in the same trap when they make it harder to get retirement visa/marriage visa/ elite visa, karma will hit you.

Scare someone will destroy your miserable life and make it more miserable?

another the glass is half empty guy.

I've never heard of anyone abusing retirement visas.

Perhaps the ED visas should be restricted to only studying local thai politics, arithmetic and common sense? Nobody in this day and age thinks Ed visas used continuously for 5 years are being used legitimately. Do they?

Immigration clearly do not.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Or could it be that ED visas are being used just to enable long stays in Thailand and no-one is really learning anything.

Just sayin'

I agree with you. So many on ED visas not even meeting the requirements, so I'm not surprised if Immigration will pull the plug eventually, unless you can prove you deserve an ED visa.

21 hours ago, Hal65 said:

You can get a tourist visa on arrival at Yangon? Can't in Mandalay, only online visa or visa from Myanmar embassy before you go. Business visa on arrival only at Mandalay as far as I'm aware.

8 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Perhaps the ED visas should be restricted to only studying local thai politics, arithmetic and common sense? Nobody in this day and age thinks Ed visas used continuously for 5 years are being used legitimately. Do they?

As long as the retirees meets the financial requirements,they will be ok. If I was an immigration officer, I would wonder why so many ED visas are obtained in Laos.

19 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

What's that saying....the writing is on the wall.

Few posts now ed visa refused Vientiane and elsewhere, with a previous ed visa in pp. Very recent thread member refused ed visa Saigon. He had 2 previous. Its Russian roulette now. That chap was lucky to enter visa exempt at  CM even with void visa stamp. 

Edited by DrJack54

19 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Read the OP's other post....safest airport in Thailand. He's been on ED visas for 5 years. Should be pretty fluent by now!!

Some people just do not get it. The days of visa running perpetually is drawing to a close.

Just wait a bit longer,and there will be no more ED visas,or the requirements will be more difficult to meet.