Marriage extension under consideration period over but no result

The period of consideration for my marriage extension is up today but the immigration office has said it is still under consideration. The Immigration Volunteer said come back Monday but all the stamps in passport say today is my last day. Is this normal or anything I could / should do?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The under consideration stamp allow you to stay in the country until your extension is approved.

The report back date is just that it does not end the under consideration period.

You have nothing to worry about.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

he under consideration stamp overrides that entry stamp you got.

Does a marriage extension applicant have to keep the 400K in the bank until the final stamp or can it be used after the under consideration stamp is issued since the purpose of the funds is to use for living expenses?

16 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Does a marriage extension applicant have to keep the 400K in the bank until the final stamp or can it be used after the under consideration stamp is issued since the purpose of the funds is to use for living expenses?

It depends upon the office where you apply.

Many are now wanting a updated bank book to prove it is still in the bank on the date the extension stamp is done.

• Thanks 2

The last time I did my marriage extension, I had to wait an additional 30 days beyond the first 30 days of under consideration. I went in after the first 30 days and Immigration told me to come back again after another 30 days. Each time, they wanted to see my updated bank book with copies. Luckily, I always keep at least a 400K balance year long. This was the first time this happened in 13 years of doing extensions. They said there was no problem just that they were very busy and didn't have time to properly verify the information.

• Thanks 2

It's beyond belief that the authorities have to ponder for days and weeks whether you should be allowed to live with your wife or not. It's only one step away from the perfect Thai ambition - we don't want you here but you are free to send money to support your wife. We want your money but not you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

CW told my wife to show my updated original bank book and present a photocopy of the bank book balance when returning after the under consideration period.

Edited by userabcd

I had a similar delay back in March. When I went to the immigration office in Buriram to get my visa stamp I was told to come back after one week and show bank statements for the month after my application. When I went back the IO said my extension was granted but he couldn't stamp my passport until the "boss" in Khon kaen said so he also said not to worry about it. They called me two weeks later to come and get my extension stamp. Incidentally my next 90 day report was dated from the date when the extension stamp was entered into my passport.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with Barry. This seems to happen only in the provs so maybe they're waiting for some final clearance. They themselves just shuffle paper. 

Highly advise not to spend a satang before you are given your extension. When you show up bring a photocopy of your updated bank book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's beyond belief that the authorities have to ponder for days and weeks whether you should be allowed to live with your wife or not. It's only one step away from the perfect Thai ambition - we don't want you here but you are free to send money to support your wife. We want your money but not you.

took almost 2 yrs for paper to be issued for me to live with my Thai wife in my own country yet I don't believe it has anything to with anything other than a combination of bureaucratic incompetence, large numbers of applicants and the biggest scam in immigration - the fake marriage..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

took almost 2 yrs for paper to be issued for me to live with my Thai wife in my own country yet I don't believe it has anything to with anything other than a combination of bureaucratic incompetence, large numbers of applicants and the biggest scam in immigration - the fake marriage..

I've been married to a Thai for nearly 30 years, have lived in Thailand for about 25 years, and still have to leave every 90 days or jump through hoops and have to have more money lodged in a bank than any Thai is required to do. I think by now they ought to know mine isn't a fake marriage and nor am I a criminal and/or a threat to national security.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've been married to a Thai for nearly 30 years, have lived in Thailand for about 25 years, and still have to leave every 90 days or jump through hoops and have to have more money lodged in a bank than any Thai is required to do. I think by now they ought to know mine isn't a fake marriage and nor am I a criminal and/or a threat to national security.

Have you noticed that your Thai wife has to be told the same thing multiple times, like 'don't leave your shoes on the step' as you lay spreadeagled on the lawn in front of said step. It's like that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/96-people-charged-texas-marriage-fraud-scheme-green/story?id=63027773

One of thousands of examples of marriage scams for immigration. They don't know you're still with the wife year on year, hell divorce and separation are as common here as the west. How do they know you're still together? How do they know you're not separated but just using the institution to stay in the country (which has happened I'm sure). And as far as them knowing whether you are a criminal or not - how would they know? I never went through a comprehensive criminal background check prior to coming here, did you?

Hell, in Canada they'll refuse you entry if they discover a dui on your record if you're crossing by land. Probably eliminate 25% percent of the expats here lol

On 8/31/2019 at 1:41 PM, from the home of CC said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/96-people-charged-texas-marriage-fraud-scheme-green/story?id=63027773

One of thousands of examples of marriage scams for immigration. They don't know you're still with the wife year on year, hell divorce and separation are as common here as the west. How do they know you're still together? How do they know you're not separated but just using the institution to stay in the country (which has happened I'm sure). And as far as them knowing whether you are a criminal or not - how would they know? I never went through a comprehensive criminal background check prior to coming here, did you?

Hell, in Canada they'll refuse you entry if they discover a dui on your record if you're crossing by land. Probably eliminate 25% percent of the expats here lol

You have to a doc. from your local office to prove you are still married,every year ,before you apply for visa.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 1:19 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

So in 25 yrs you still cant put 400,000 b in a thai bank for 2 months. :violin:spend a few days jumping through hoops once a year,once done and you understand the process,then you won't have to do border runs, saving you time and money. A no brainer.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

So in 25 yrs you still cant put 400,000 b in a thai bank for 2 months. :violin:spend a few days jumping through hoops once a year,once done and you understand the process,then you won't have to do border runs, saving you time and money. A no brainer.

I find it more cost effective to spend half a day going into Laos and back before lunch, spending 1500 on a visa and picking up some Beer Lao and coffee, than lodging 400,000 in a bank. A no brainer.

• Like 1