Denied TR visa after spending 6 months in home country?

Hi,

I've been staying in Thailand for years with all sorts of visas (with TR visas for the past few years). Now I've spent 6 months in my home country and went to apply for a new TR visa from the Thai Embassy. They refused to issue me a new TV visa even though I had been out of Thailand for 6 months. I was very surprised because I've never been denied a TR visa even those years that I spent only 1-2 months out of Thailand. 

It's specially unfortunate because this was supposed to be the last time I use a TR visa. I plan to do the marriage visa this time since using a TR visa has become too complicated. I guess now that I didn't get the TR visa, the only difference is that I will be entering the country with a 30+30 day exempt instead of a 60+30 day visa. What I would like to ask is that will I possibly have problems with handling the Non O visa process in 60 days once I get into Thailand considering the following points below. 

- Firstly, I would need to know that if we transfer the 400,000b to my Thai bank account today (Aug 30), does it have to be there for 2 months counting from this day? Does this mean that I could only start the Non O visa process on October 30? If that is the case then I would have about a week to get it done because I'm arriving in Bangkok on September 8.

- Another thing I would need to confirm is that does it matter where the 400,000b is coming from. I mean at lest in my case it has to come from our other Thai bank account (in my girlfriend's name) and not a foreign source. I read somewhere on ThaiVisa that it doesn't matter where it came from but then one legal site claimed it has to be from a foreign source. Could someone confirm this too? 

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, tifino said:

maybe you needed to be back before the 5 months 30 days had passed?

if all the account is in just the GF's name... then 'you' personally don't have any 400000 to show?

5 months 30 days? I didn't get the point.

No, I have my own Thai account of course, but the 400,000b has to be transferred to my account. Then I will show the statement showing the 400,000b in my won Thai bank account.

6 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

No, I have my own Thai account of course, but the 400,000b has to be transferred to my account. Then I will show the statement showing the 400,000b in my won Thai bank account.

they may see that if someone is spending, prorata, more time outside, rather than inside Thailand;

- as someone who doesn't really intend to consider Thailand as his place of residence... 

Doesn't the 400000 have to have been already in 'your' account for a significant 'minimum' prescribed period both before and after the assessment date?

- If they see it has only just gone in, then probably will assume it will be taken out again, just as quickly.

27 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

For "conversion of visa exempt entry or tourist visa to a non o you need show money came from outside Thailand. This is not the case if you apply for non o marriage outside of los. You could fly into los obtain visa exempt and extend if suits, then obtain your non o at many places. Vientiane, Saigon to mention a couple. Think Savanahket I think no need show funds.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For "conversion of visa exempt entry or tourist visa to a non o you need show money came from outside Thailand. This is not the case if you apply for non o marriage outside of los. You could fly into los obtain visa exempt and extend if suits, then obtain your non o at many places. Vientiane, Saigon to mention a couple.

Thanks for the reply. All our finances are in Thailand so I would have to transfer the money to my Thai account from Thailand. So you're saying this is OK but then I would have to travel to a neighbouring country's Thai consulate to apply for the Non O, I guess that's fine for me as long as it gets done. And any idea about my first question?

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

Agreed with DJ....the local places are going to cause a problem on the money.  Make an appointment in Savanaket a month later....

Moon, am I correct re Savanaket not requiring money in bank. Might be bonus for OP

13 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for the reply. All our finances are in Thailand so I would have to transfer the money to my Thai account from Thailand. So you're saying this is OK but then I would have to travel to a neighbouring country's Thai consulate to apply for the Non O, I guess that's fine for me as long as it gets done. And any idea about my first question?

If entering on a Visa Exempt & converting you'll have to show the money came from overseas & there are no seeding requirements

If extending a Non-O got from another country, then the money needs to be in your account for 2 months prior and doesn't matter where it came from

As already advised, Put the 400K into an account go to Savannakhet get a 90 day Non-O Visa on the basis of being married to a Thai & 30 days before it's due to expire get an extension on the basis of being married to a Thai, the 400K would have been in your account for at least 2 months by then so will be acceptable, they won't care where it came from.

Alternative is to transfer the 400K from outside of Thailand & with at least 15 days on your Visa Exempt (or Extension) apply for the conversion - They will insist the money came from outside of Thailand but won't care how long it has been in your account

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Moon, am I correct re Savanaket not requiring money in bank. Might be bonus for OP

You don't need the money in the bank when applying at Savannakhet but will need it there for 2 months before applying for the extension so unless you're plan is to continue on 90 day Non-Os from Savannakhet best to put it in there when you go to get your 1st visa & then 60 days into it you can apply for a 1 year extension (You'll actually get 13 months as they'll start it from the end of the Visa/permission to stay not date of application).

• Thanks 2

OP, with your recent history you can enter visa exempt and extent. Heck you could even do border bounce and obtain second ve. In that time you can sort out everything you need. In fact I would not even bothered with setv if in your shoes. Having said that....I find it confusing why you were denied

A couple of months ago I took a friend with me to Immigration, I was doing my 90 report, and he wanted to ask about a Non-O Married Visa. He had entered Thailand 3 days previously on a Visa exempt entry.

I must say that he had been here many times in the previous years but always on short term Visa's.

He was told if you want you can apply now so he did and within less than 3 weeks he had his Non-O Visa stamp in his Passport. So you can do it, not sure if there was tea money involved as he never said anything to me about that.

But what he did have was a bank account in his name (solely) and over 400K well seasoned in there.

So I would expect that your main issue is not having the money "seasoned" in your bank account.

My suggestion to you is to transfer the money from your girlfriend's account to yours and then delay your arrival for 2 months so it can become "seasoned".  Alternatively come for a short tern visit get organised and then go home and come back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

If entering on a Visa Exempt & converting you'll have to show the money came from overseas & there are no seeding requirements

If extending a Non-O got from another country, then the money needs to be in your account and doesn't matter where it came from

As already advised, Put the 400K into an account go to Savannakhet get a 90 day Non-O Visa on the basis of being married to a Thai & 30 days before it's due to expire get an extension on the basis of being married to a Thai, the 400K would have been in your account for at least 2 months by then so will be acceptable, they won't care where it came from.

Alternative is to transfer the 400K from outside of Thailand & with at least 15 days on your Visa Exempt (or Extension) apply for the conversion - They will insist the money came from outside of Thailand but won't care how long it has been in your account

Thanks for the advice. Sounds good. I will transfer the money in the coming days and get the Non O done in Savannakhet after my 30+30 expires on November 8 (I'm entering on Sep 8). I've been to Savannakhet consulate before some years ago, I recall it being a great place for all visa applications. 

Now I just hope they don't give me any trouble at the airport upon arrival. The Thai ambassy here in my home country did not put any denial stamps on my passport but just said they can't give me anymore TR visas. I've been out of Thailand for 6 months so I wouldn't expect the immigration to start questioning me when I come in with a normal 30 day exempt – hope not!

8 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for the advice. Sounds good. I will transfer the money in the coming days and get the Non O done in Savannakhet after my 30+30 expires on November 8 (I'm entering on Sep 8). I've been to Savannakhet consulate before some years ago, I recall it being a great place for all visa applications. 

Now I just hope they don't give me any trouble at the airport upon arrival. The Thai ambassy here in my home country did not put any denial stamps on my passport but just said they can't give me anymore TR visas. I've been out of Thailand for 6 months so I wouldn't expect the immigration to start questioning me when I come in with a normal 30 day exempt – hope not!

Good luck. Don't think you mentioned your passport country. As for Savannakhet just be warned......since Vientiane moved to appointment system and became more strict things have changed. Savanna very busy. Take your lunch.

If your based in bkk, I would look at Saigon. Not busy and easy process. Take the Mrs. District 1 is very chilled joint.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fancyfarang said:

Can you share what country is your home country?  I really hope it is not USA as I will be applying next month and will have only been out of Thailand for 1 month. 

You will be fine. Obtain setv or visa exempt. No problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You will be fine. Obtain setv or visa exempt. No problem. 

I have already done 2 land visa exempts this year.  I got a setv in vientine this year and they told me no more and that I would have to go back to my country. I plan to leave thailand soon, go visit family and the go back to the USA and apply for a new METV in Oct or Nov.   If the OP is being denied in his home country after being out of Thailand for 6 months, that is pretty new restrictions.  

1 minute ago, Fancyfarang said:

I have already done 2 land visa exempts this year.  I got a setv in vientine this year and they told me no more and that I would have to go back to my country. I plan to leave thailand soon, go visit family and the go back to the USA and apply for a new METV in Oct or Nov.   If the OP is being denied in his home country after being out of Thailand for 6 months, that is pretty new restrictions.  

Relax. I have tried post many helpful comments to OP. The refusal he had is seriously weird. Won't even say which country he is from. In any event a METV would be excellent idea. Since your in USA grab one and you can stay 6+1 month los. Good deal

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Relax. I have tried post many helpful comments to OP. The refusal he had is seriously weird. Won't even say which country he is from. In any event a METV would be excellent idea. Since your in USA grab one and you can stay 6+1 month los. Good deal

Thanks for the re assurance!  I think it will be fine.  

3 minutes ago, Fancyfarang said:

Thanks for the re assurance!  I think it will be fine.  

You will obtain the METV which is a ripper visa as is multi entry and gives 9 almost month stay. Given your history it would not hurt to show some short term accom. Just make a booking with free cancellation. Have money on you. USD fine. All this is not required but never hurts. 

37 minutes ago, Fancyfarang said:

If the OP is being denied in his home country after being out of Thailand for 6 months, that is pretty new restrictions.  

Yes it's weird alright, especially because this time I was purposely away for 6 moths to start of clean but guess it didn't help then. Very unlucky because I've been getting consecutive TR's for years and normally I stay in Thailand 10-11 months a year. This time I thought it would be a clean start with no questioning – instead the total opposite. I just hope it was the embassy and they won't give me any trouble when entering Thailand. I guess it wouldn't be normal to have any issues at Suvarnabhumi after being away for 6 months?

I have dual nationality and the passport that was denied TR visa is Scandinavian.

19 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

If extending a Non-O got from another country, then the money needs to be in your account for 2 months prior and doesn't matter where it came from

You're not extending a non O. You're extending your permission to stay and the only place you can get a permission to stay is in Thailand. 

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

You're not extending a non O. You're extending your permission to stay and the only place you can get a permission to stay is in Thailand. 

Semantics... you're extending the permission to stay that your visa (or previous extension) gives you

Why bother posting such tripe???

Couple of points:

You are assuming you will actually be allowed to enter Thailand.  Embassy refusing a visa might be a red flag. 

You mention your gf a fair bit.  You won't get a 'married visa' for a girlfriend.  Sure you can marry her AFTER you get the required documentation, affirmation to marry etc. That a takes time. 

It may not be so cut and dried as you think. 

Edit..... You didn't mention gf.... Somebody else did.  Assuming you are married and get a multi from, Savannakhet you shouldn't have a problem.  But I'd go to Laos and get the visa first before trying to enter Thailand just to be on the safe side.  No money needed at Savannakhet. 

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

Seems to me not only they want long term stayers out of Thailand but they want block people to come back regularly to Thailand regardless if you stay 6 months per year in your country. I think soon people will be able to stay 3 or 6 months maximum every 3 years. Years ago there were counting number of days you were staying and then under Taksin Prime Minister all these rules have been cancelled and now they come back to these old rules again.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 8/31/2019 at 2:27 PM, emptypockets said:

Couple of points:

You are assuming you will actually be allowed to enter Thailand.  Embassy refusing a visa might be a red flag. 

You mention your gf a fair bit.  You won't get a 'married visa' for a girlfriend.  Sure you can marry her AFTER you get the required documentation, affirmation to marry etc. That a takes time. 

It may not be so cut and dried as you think. 

Edit..... You didn't mention gf.... Somebody else did.  Assuming you are married and get a multi from, Savannakhet you shouldn't have a problem.  But I'd go to Laos and get the visa first before trying to enter Thailand just to be on the safe side.  No money needed at Savannakhet. 

The embassy told me they didn't red flag my passport or anything. They just said that they can't give me any more TR visas because I've had too many during the past years. Anyway, I don't know what the reality is but I've been away for 6 months and never got any warning or red stamps in my passport, so I hope there won't be any questioning at Suvarnabhumi.  

I'm not sure what you meant about going to Laos first. I have bought my direct flight from Europe to Bangkok months ago, so I will be flying to Bangkok Sep 8 and I have booked an outbound flight to Ho Chi Minh on Nov 6. During the 60 days we plan to get the marriage certificate (yes, I talk about my girlfriend but we've been together for 10 years) and do all the paper work. Then we would go to the Thai embassy in Ho Chi Ming on Nov 6 to apply for the Non O visa. Does this sound like a good plan?