Denied TR visa after spending 6 months in home country?

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

The embassy told me they didn't red flag my passport or anything. They just said that they can't give me any more TR visas because I've had too many during the past years.

And why not go back to your Embassy, and apply for a non O there, then? Since you are already there. They might even give you a multiple, worst case single.

Just because they refused a tourist visa, it doesn't mean they will refuse a non-O.

Edited by lkv

10 hours ago, 50soon said:

Years ago there were counting number of days you were staying and then under Taksin Prime Minister all these rules have been cancelled and now they come back to these old rules again.

This was only done very sporadically at land borders, and then completely rescinded in law 11 years ago (some time after Thaksin was ousted). Any embassy or IO quoting this law now is either misinformed or abusing their priveleges. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lkv said:

And why not go back to your Embassy, and apply for a non O there, then? Since you are already there. They might even give you a multiple, worst case single.

Just because they refused a tourist visa, it doesn't mean they will refuse a non-O.

That's impossible. We're not married yet as I mentioned and I'm in my home country alone. We need to do the process in BKK and then fly to Ho Chi Minh for the Non O. At least I've booked an exit ticket to HCM just to show at the airport (if Savannakhet is a better option might change plans later).

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

That's impossible. We're not married yet as I mentioned and I'm in my home country alone. We need to do the process in BKK and then fly to Ho Chi Minh for the Non O. At least I've booked an exit ticket to HCM just to show at the airport (if Savannakhet is a better option might change plans later).

Yeah, sorry about the confusion, had a read again of the posts.

Ok, so the marriage will happen between Sep 8 to Nov 6 or so, and on that basis you intend to get a non O in the region afterwards.

Edited by lkv

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:07 AM, ChomDo said:

The embassy told me they didn't red flag my passport or anything. They just said that they can't give me any more TR visas because I've had too many during the past years. Anyway, I don't know what the reality is but I've been away for 6 months and never got any warning or red stamps in my passport, so I hope there won't be any questioning at Suvarnabhumi.  

I'm not sure what you meant about going to Laos first. I have bought my direct flight from Europe to Bangkok months ago, so I will be flying to Bangkok Sep 8 and I have booked an outbound flight to Ho Chi Minh on Nov 6. During the 60 days we plan to get the marriage certificate (yes, I talk about my girlfriend but we've been together for 10 years) and do all the paper work. Then we would go to the Thai embassy in Ho Chi Ming on Nov 6 to apply for the Non O visa. Does this sound like a good plan?   

I still don't understand your marital status.

Are you legally married to your girlfriend?

It might make a big difference to your plans as 'girlfriend', 'defacto', 'living together' or 'friend with benefits are not recognised in Thailand as they might be in the west. 

If you plan on marrying your lady then do a little homework as you can't just turn up to the Amphur and get married - they will want to see some paperwork to prove you are BOTH free to marry. This might include a certificate of divorce, affirmation of freedom to marry and in my wife's case, a declaration from the village head that she had never remarried after she divorced her first husband. Also consider that my wife did not consider herself married as they never had the Buddhist village celebration but only the Amphur paperwork thing which is the only legal marriage, the village celebration means nothing in a legal sense. It was only questioning from a visa agent in Australia that brought this to light. He also found out she had changed her name as many Thais do, which is no big deal until you need to deal with a government department where all the t's need to be crossed and all the i's dotted.

If any of this applies to you be aware that it all takes time. You might also need to get translations of some documents into Thai which adds time and money to the process.

Good luck and keep us updated how it works out for you.

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I still don't understand your marital status.

Are you legally married to your girlfriend?

It might make a big difference to your plans as 'girlfriend', 'defacto', 'living together' or 'friend with benefits are not recognised in Thailand as they might be in the west. 

If you plan on marrying your lady then do a little homework as you can't just turn up to the Amphur and get married - they will want to see some paperwork to prove you are BOTH free to marry. This might include a certificate of divorce, affirmation of freedom to marry and in my wife's case, a declaration from the village head that she had never remarried after she divorced her first husband. Also consider that my wife did not consider herself married as they never had the Buddhist village celebration but only the Amphur paperwork thing which is the only legal marriage, the village celebration means nothing in a legal sense. It was only questioning from a visa agent in Australia that brought this to light. He also found out she had changed her name as many Thais do, which is no big deal until you need to deal with a government department where all the t's need to be crossed and all the i's dotted.

If any of this applies to you be aware that it all takes time. You might also need to get translations of some documents into Thai which adds time and money to the process.

Good luck and keep us updated how it works out for you.

Thanks for the advice. We've have found out about all the paperwork already from forums, websites and friends. One of my friends also did it in Bangkok and briefed me about the whole process (which he had to do in 2 days). I also now have the 400,000b on my own account since a few days ago, so now it can stay there for the required 2 months before I travel to Vietnam or Laos for the Non O. 

And to answer your first question: NO I'm not married and never been. Neither has my girlfriend. We have been living together for 10 years but didn't want to marry until now that it seems to be necessary if I want to spend any more time in Thailand.

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for the advice. We've have found out about all the paperwork already from forums, websites and friends. One of my friends also did it in Bangkok and briefed me about the whole process (which he had to do in 2 days). I also now have the 400,000b on my own account since a few days ago, so now it can stay there for the required 2 months before I travel to Vietnam or Laos for the Non O. 

And to answer your first question: NO I'm not married and never been. Neither has my girlfriend. We have been living together for 10 years but didn't want to marry until now that it seems to be necessary if I want to spend any more time in Thailand.

Sounds like you are all set up and good to go. Best of luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had no troubles at Suvarnabhumi. Exceptionally easy entry with no questions asked (as I was expecting after being away for 6 months). Now I just have to decide which is a better option for the Non O, Saigon or Savannakhet? I already have a flight booked to Saigon, so I would rather go there. There was talk earlier in this thread that Saigon is a good place to apply for Non O and won't ask to see proof that 400k came from abroad.