UK finance minister 'livid' at PM Johnson over firing of aide - media

rooster59

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Regardless of the motives of the poster to whom you replied, he raises a good point - why has an unelected apparatchik got power to overrule the chancellor?

The security and destination of our country must come before individual egos of MPs, it is such an innocuous issue I wonder sometimes whether it is just another stick to hit leavers over the head with. People are being fired every day, in this case she was suspected of a misdemeanor, in most cases it probably wouldn't have mattered, but at government level I guess it does matter.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

For the brexitocrats

There was absolutely no evidence she had leaked any information and her minister is, according to the OP, livid at the actions of cummings. 

I was quoting was was said in the paper but obviously your crystal ball knows more.

Don't be surprised that in the next few days that it comes out that she was in fact passing documents, then you will look very silly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Probably not the last we shall hear from "dictator" Cummings. What a really embarrassing country we have turned into. I'm almost afraid to read the daily news bulletins nowadays. 

Welcome to the USSA under Trump. ????

• Like 1

Javid...probably the most useless man in the history of politics. I remember this fellow from when Tata announced the closing of the Port Talbot steel works. He was MIA on an important trip (holiday) at the tax payers expense which his son, exploring Australia.

2 hours ago, Tom F said:

Forgive me.  I'm just a Yank.  But, who is Dominic Cummings?   Is he an MP?   How does he have the authority, on his own, to immediately fire an aide to a Cabinet Minister, without even consulting that Minister?

Job tiles change but basically top aide to the PM...

Cummings was the Director of the "Vote Leave" campaign and...

In March 2019, the Commons Select Committee of Privileges recommended the House issue an admonishment for alleged contempt of Parliament after Cummings failed to appear before the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee inquiry into claims of false news during the referendum campaign. The resolution admonishing him was passed by resolution of the House of Commons on the 2nd April 2019.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vogie said:

Does it mean she can be always relied upon upon to be honest, no, it doesn’t.

I really think you have hit the nail on the head there. We are not talking about stealing a pint of milk from somebodies doorstep, we are talking about the security and the future of our country.

We are approaching the final hurdle of leaving the EU, if there is any risk or suspicions about someone surely it is better to err on the safe side and get rid of that person.

The most embarrassing information may well be that there is nothing to be leaked....

6 minutes ago, candide said:

The most embarrassing information may well be that there is nothing to be leaked....

I'm sure you don't believe that candide, at that level of government I'm sure the are many juicy snippets that Philip Hammond would like to be informed about, then he might be straight on the EU hotline to his friends in Brussels.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

I'm sure you don't believe that candide, at that level of government I'm sure the are many juicy snippets that Philip Hammond would like to be informed about, then he might be straight on the EU hotline to his friends in Brussels.

I admit I was being nasty, as often.????

However, I think there is some element of truth in it as we have not seen any articulate proposal yet and I doubt we'll see any later.

The secrets are more likely to be about some political manoeuvre against their opponents.

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Regardless of the motives of the poster to whom you replied, he raises a good point - why has an unelected apparatchik got power to overrule the chancellor?

Chancellors don't do employment as such, That's down to the sir Humphries.

• Like 1