Why do Thai people ignore Foreigners when they are speaking and begin speaking over them, interrupting them?

ExpatInCM

4 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

I don't agree on what you say mostly. Thailand doesn't have to accept outsiders if they don't want too. They don't need to say why. Thailand has the right to preserve Thailand for it's population not the global population. Wake up free immigration only pollutes national cultures and adds no value. That's why US immigration policies are getting stricter and Brexit is happening. Other more advanced countries are waking up to the problems open immigration brings. Look at crime Sweden today.

Being selective and only allowing those who will contribute makes a lot of sense to me. Contributing might mean bringing in certain skill sets or significant money that helps the Thai economy. 

We are not in the US and Thais can exclude anyone and/or race because its there home and we are guests.

I only encounter dual pricing at National Parks (sometimes) but in my view they are still a bargain and it helps in the park maintenance its great. I feel that the Park Rangers often go out of their way to explain things, esp once they know I was interested in Natural Resources as an undergraduate student. I stayed in a number of National Parks in Thailand and the accommodations are very comfortable and clean (and a good value). Other tourist places that might have dual pricing don't interest me a lot, because they are frequently cheesy shows etc. More often I get in free because >60s aren't charged. When I tell them I'm a farang they usually just laugh and say free. Taxis etc don't overcharge me because like Thais I find out prices in advance and I not my wife deal with the driver. 

I could add much more but don't want to waste more space.

You call yourself drbeach, which must mean Beach Dr or something. You surely are not a real Doctor ( MD or PhD). Sorry I just think you misrepresent yourself.

I also don't know Yinn but respect her for trying to give a Thai perspective to things. Her grammar isn't perfect but she is able to explain things clearly, in spite of the attacks from people like you.

Well if you condone racism great, but the rest of the world looks at Thailand like a laughing stock.

I can make up any user name I want it's none of your business what I do or don't do.

Oh look we have a right-winger here. So all foreigners in Sweden are criminals? Hmm...where did I hear that last? Oh of course, in Thailand. The only country in the world where you have to report your movements within 24 hours. Not even China is that bad, they just require it to be done upon each re-entry. As for the US they are still allowing in 1 million migrants a year, crackdown or not. 11 million illegals will likely be made citizens.

Thailand isn't bringing in any foreigners other than laborers from Cambodia, Burma and Laos. They don't exactly have many skills, but they sure are cheaper than Thais and easier to exploit.

Over 60s are most definitely charged - if you're a farang, you get charged the higher fee. That's 400-500 Baht for national parks.

You can choose to live like this if you want, but many farang are voting with their feet.

National parks still a bargain? LOL. Obviously you've never been to the US or Australia, where many national parks are free and those that do charge an entry fee are actually CHEAPER than Thai national parks because they only charge for one vehicle irrespective of the number of people entering. Not to mention how much bigger, cleaner and better value for money they are. Here you pay 200-400 Baht just to see a boring waterfall with trash all over the trail.

Feel free to live in your state of ignorance and defending clueless Thai people like Yinn. BTW I never said anything about her grammar, it's yours that could use some work. It's more a case of her deflecting from the topic at hand bringing up irrelevant nonsense and not realizing how much the Thai government hates foreigners (other than Burmese and Cambodian laborers, which it loves) to the point that all we're good for is as walking ATMs.

Fortunately the Thai people on the whole are still relatively nice.

Edited by drbeach
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 2long said:

I totally understand the OP and several of the more-constructive comments.

Not sure if it's a geographical thing or not but my lady's from the south and she interrupts me, my kids interrupt each other and her (not me) and her family all talk at the same time, usually saying the same thing over again and repeating what others said. This is all before we even get anywhere near a shop! I speak Thai ok, but not fluent.

There's nothing you can do to change them, so take each case as it comes.

BTW I HATE being interrupted... it shows a distinct lack of manners.

In my experience, Thais don't generally interrupt each other except if we're talking about a large group of young people, like 10 people sitting at a table having dinner all laughing and not listening to what the other is saying.

Overall Thais are fairly respectful people. I have had more problems getting interrupted by other westerners who always want to be right than Thais.

13 hours ago, drbeach said:

In my experience, Thais don't generally interrupt each other except if we're talking about a large group of young people, like 10 people sitting at a table having dinner all laughing and not listening to what the other is saying.

Overall Thais are fairly respectful people. I have had more problems getting interrupted by other westerners who always want to be right than Thais.

That's probably because I am sure most of your interactions that involve somewhat developed conversation in Thailand revolves around talking to other Westerners in an establishment that pertains to intoxication, and most of your interactions with Thais barely evolve beyond complete basic 'conversation' and you can't understand what they are even saying when they develop on topics.. Not buying this 'Western rude, Thai respectful narrative' for one minute, although I will admit, once I would have probably said the same, but that was a while ago..

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:40 PM, ExpatInCM said:

But as soon as I begin talking to answer, they begin talking again as if I am not even there or as if I am not talking.

Lesson number one- farangs are at the lowest on the food chain- any Thai person is more important than a farang. Even soi dogs are more important than farangs. 

Lesson number two- farangs are the most stupid people on the planet and know nothing. Therefore there is nothing to be gained by listening to them.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:40 PM, ExpatInCM said:

And most importantly, how can I better deal with this situation when it happens and do something that will allow or facilitate effective communication when they keep interrupting me?

Lesson  number three-If you want to talk to Thai people, don't have your Thai wife/ Thai family/ Thai friends along.

Lesson number four-Thai staff know that farangs are only there to pay, as that is the only function a farang has of interest to a Thai.

Satire alert for the humourless reader.

However, some of it isn't far from the truth, in my experience, which has been extensive.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, fhickson said:

does anyone know how to say 'shut up' or 'shut your mouth' in thai, or is that not allowed here?

Repeating from The Beach, something like "Hop Bah". Can't speak as the accuracy of the phonetics though, and I may not have heard it correctly anyway- old age is a bitch. 

14 hours ago, drbeach said:

Yes you do. Along the Malaysian border.

Yes if you're admitted to America you can live and work any job you want (if you have the skills employers are looking for). You won't be asked for a TM30 and you won't be required to pay more to go to a public hospital or a national park just because you're Thai or Asian or a foreigner.

Well learn how to spell properly first - Ranong is full of Burmese, they are practically the only foreign nationality residing there. Hardly the same as multicultural America.

SO WHAT? America needs workers, because school kids apparently don't learn any skills at school. Thailand doesn't as there isn't an idle generation that thinks it's entitled to deciding which gender they are rather than getting out and grafting.

If LOS wants every farang to stick a lighted match up their nose and sing the national anthem before it burns them to get a visa extension- that's their right.

Given the disasters that western countries have become from allowing foreigners to buy land, I salute LOS for not going down that road- well done. Same for making it really hard to get PR.

On 9/1/2019 at 5:46 AM, Yinn said:

Maybe they shy?

Maybe not confident?

Maybe you look the scary guy? 

Maybe you to handsome?

Maybe they think Thai culture the wife control the money?

Last 2 for me. My wife carries the money and does all the paying. I'm just the ATM that fills the purse up when it's empty. Also Thais, particularly women, giggle nervously when I speak to them.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Lesson number one- farangs are at the lowest on the food chain- any Thai person is more important than a farang. Even soi dogs are more important than farangs. 

Lesson number two- farangs are the most stupid people on the planet and know nothing. Therefore there is nothing to be gained by listening to them.

Lesson  number three-If you want to talk to Thai people, don't have your Thai wife/ Thai family/ Thai friends along.

Lesson number four-Thai staff know that farangs are only there to pay, as that is the only function a farang has of interest to a Thai.

Satire alert for the humourless reader.

However, some of it isn't far from the truth, in my experience, which has been extensive.

All untrue.

1. I went to a Thai's birthday party at a moo kata restaurant and, although I didn't know many people there, was totally made to feel like the guest of honour with everyone fussing round me. It was like it was a coup for them to have a farang at the party.

2. If they think that, I soon proove them wrong as they are astounded when they realise tht I speak both Thai and Lao.

3. In a shop/bank I would agree. My wife insists that I stand back and she deals with everything. Annoying.

4. My wife carries the money. I never pay.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 1:53 PM, Truthhurts said:

You talk about westerners being polite then in the next sentence seem to be putting shopworkers at a level to scrapings on your shoe.

I'm sure you demonstrate your undoubted usefulness on a regular basis.

Clearly it goes hand in hand with your humility and equanimity. 

Sorry, you are breaking debate best practices I used to teach 3rd and 4th graders many years ago. 

Evaluate my arguments, not me. 

You do understand that a person can regard another poorly but still treat him/her with respect? That is one of the core principles of adulthood. 

All the best 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the disasters that western countries have become from allowing foreigners to buy land, I salute LOS for not going down that road- well done. Same for making it really hard to get PR.

But look at what Thailand has to show for it. Almost nothing, save for their Chinese-Thai immigrants practically owning the entire country at the exploit of the brown Thais. 

The narrative that Thailand has been clever in this regard is nonsense in my view.

And, the view that western countries have been troubled more from than they have benefited from immigration is demonstrably inaccurate. 

Even Thailand, as backward as place as it is, would be nearly nothing if not for their Chinese immigrants. 

The Thais have failed spectacularly, with a very questionable future ahead, both on account of their distinct lack of a skilled workforce and because of their Chinese-Thai pervasive exploits. They NEED immigrants to lift them up, and the class of immigrant they need is not the same as that in a country like Australia or the USA. 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

But look at what Thailand has to show for it. Almost nothing, save for their Chinese-Thai immigrants practically owning the entire country at the exploit of the brown Thais. 

The narrative that Thailand has been clever in this regard is nonsense in my view.

And, the view that western countries have been troubled more from than they have benefited from immigration is demonstrably inaccurate. 

Even Thailand, as backward as place as it is, would be nearly nothing if not for their Chinese immigrants. 

The Thais have failed spectacularly, with a very questionable future ahead, both on account of their distinct lack of a skilled workforce and because of their Chinese-Thai pervasive exploits. They NEED immigrants to lift them up, and the class of immigrant they need is not the same as that in a country like Australia or the USA. 

All that you say is true but Thai Chin are not regarded as immigrants. They are considered as the elite of Thai society. The upper echelon of Hi So, not immigrants. Think Taksin, think Prayut.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

All that you say is true but Thai Chin are not regarded as immigrants. They are considered as the elite of Thai society. The upper echelon of Hi So, not immigrants. Think Taksin, think Prayut.

Yes, I know. 

The Thais have convinced themselves, in their world class false pride, that "Thailand" is for the Thais and has never been colonized. 

Well, Thailand was colonized by the Chinese Teochew long ago and Thailand is actually not really for the Thais so much as it is for the Thai-Chinese. ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thai people do learn 11 or 12 years of English in government schools so they do understand basic English even though they can't speak it properly. 

From what I observe, most Thai sales people won't speak English with foreigners because they know their English is much better than the horrible Thai that the average farang speak.

30 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Taksin is Thai citizen of Chinese descent but not Prayut.

Prayut is a native, click on link below for the different ethnicities in Thailand.

http://eastasiaorigin.blogspot.com/2017/07/main-ethnicities-in-thailand.html

Edited by EricTh

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Thai people do learn 11 or 12 years of English in government schools so they do understand basic English even though they can't speak it properly. 

From what I observe, most Thai sales people won't speak English with foreigners because they know their English is much better than the horrible Thai that the average farang speak.

Thais have had English in the national curriculum for DECADES. 

Despite this, and their reliance in a huge foreign tourism industry, they rank near the VERY BOTTOM - globally - of the English as a foreign language. 

And as for farangs' terrible Thai, the Thai government classifies everyone as tourists - whether short term or long term - so, nobody could expect any foreigner to waste time learning even the most basic Thai.

Right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/4/2019 at 7:57 AM, Truthhurts said:

America under Trump is hardly welcoming immigrants unless they are WASPs.

Throughout The developed world the various electorates are pushing against immigration because of perceived job losses.

Why should thailand and thais be different?

Because we are white?

You are wrong.  The USA, UK and elsewhere are trying to prevent ILLEGAL immigration because these people are queue jumping, bribing officials,  paying illegal people smugglers,  destroying their ID docs etc. They are criminals and often violent criminals. The genuine immigration follow procedure.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:43 AM, NCC1701A said:

you know, i can remember living in Germany and one of my first impressions of Germans was they are sort of "gruff or curt" in public.

then I went to France and everybody in Paris was rude as hell. and yes, they know damn well what you are saying. 

I got beat up by some Mexicans. Well Mexican Americans. and African Americans. That was cool.

Somebody threw a egg at me in Belfast. Missed. 

I was at Ascot in the UK and a man told me very rudely I could not walk here. I asked why and he said "The Queen is going to walk on this ground."

A big group of Chinese stepped in front of the line at Boots in Hua Hin. So I want them to all die.

Italy, Spain and Greece was cool.

Comparing the Germans to the French, when a foreigner speaks in English, the Germans responded fine. But the French...???? I am referring to a time period somewhere between the late '70 to early '80s!

Cannot complain if the Thais do it today!!!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 10:35 AM, Orton Rd said:

Even if you speak Thai and pay them they still give the change and receipt to the Mrs ???? Mine always directs them to give it to me.

My wife also does the same for me, additionally when I speak reasonably correct Thai to any Thai staff member and they ignore me to talk her, she politely instructs them to listen and speak to me.

As mentioned, many Thai do not expect a foreigner to speak any Thai and they can also be shy to respond, her doing this allows both the Thai and foreigner to practice their language skills. ????

On 9/1/2019 at 4:20 AM, villagefarang said:

@Fex Bluse Reading the news and social media coverage, one could easily get the idea that many Westerners have a very strong negative feeling for immigrants and those who do not speak English or whatever the native language is.  Granted 'some' Westerners are polite to immigrants but I am not sure you can say, 'most'.

Ex pats and immigrants are not quite the same thing.

• Like 1

I think the OP is spot on. I have experienced what he described several times. I actually started a thread on the same premise a couple of years ago and got many of the same sorts of replies. Like it never happens to me, or its your fault because of ...reasons.

I think it is a combination of circumstances that makes this situation occur. First I think if the person you have translating for you is not a strong personality and they allow the interrupter to break in, then you can't win. Also I think sometimes you will run into a salesperson who is nervous about the interaction with the foreigner and really doesn't see what a <deleted> he is being to the customer. 

I am sure I get into this situation often because my wife is A, easily distracted, and B, she is very polite. I actually do much better when I go by myself. But then I have enough Thai language to get things done. 

There is one other aspect that is frustrating with the translation issue, and that is the apparent lack of understanding of the role of translator. In most of the world, the translator listens to person A, and then translates the message to person B, without adding too much improvisation. And then the process repeats in reverse. In Thailand however, That scenario (at least for me) has been a rare experience. What happens nearly every time is I will give the person a simple opening question and then the translator will enter into a lengthy conversation with person B. At some point I will interrupt and ask about the information I requested and what I get is a response that tells me that they were talking about something else and hadn't got to my question yet. Of course the best course of action is to master the language, but It just isn't easy for everybody. And those who learned it easily, will never understand the struggle it is for others,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, Fex Bluse said:

I was referring to foreigners being allowed to buy land, not immigration per se.

Saudi had the best policy I know of. Guest workers live there till they can't work or the job is over, then they go home. While there they live in provided accommodation. Win win. The country gets the workers they need, but they don't have to support millions of elderly retirees that are not productive.

NB- no one is forced to go work in Saudi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1