Foreign bank to start retirement process,

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The SE Non O is available to anyone over 50 in receipt of a pension, state pension or that has 10K GBP in the bank for 3 months.

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

Apologies, your absolutely correct.

I was forgetting that under the new E-Visa process, the SE Non Imm O had been made available for being over 50.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Regain said:

Thanks for the advice, hopefully sterling will pickup in the 24 months

If i applied in country, would i have to show 80000 THB or just £22000 to get the OA visa, or is that still 2 months before extending?

Fyi , today sterling fell to 36.9.  not a good time to transfer .

Try plan B ...

Edited by elliss

13 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

2/3 months before your current POS (17/9/21) expires, if you want to continue your stay in Thailand, then you either need to consider travelling back to your national Country and apply for another O-A Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate, or extending your POS for 1 year at your local Immigration office.

You must meet the financial criteria in either case.

How long does it normally takes to get a new O-A visa approved anyway since you suggested that 2/3 months before the POS expires to return to home country?

On 9/2/2019 at 12:20 AM, Tanoshi said:

You can keep it in the UK, or in a foreign currency account in a Thai bank for the immediate future.

However 2 month before you intend to apply for an annual extension, the 800K funds must be deposited in a Thai bank.

You've misunderstood the information, perhaps this will help;

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year)

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

Very well explained except that this visa can only be obtained in one's country of residence. All that is required is a Police clearance, proof of finances and photos.

22 hours ago, elviajero said:

The visa is only available outside Thailand (home country or country of residence) and is used to enter the country; you can enter as many times as you want, and each time you enter you get a 1 year stay.  The visa is valid for 1 year from the date it’s issued; therefore, if you make a final exit just before the visa expires you will receive a final 1 year stay; giving you a possible two years in total.

But to come back in after the first year one has to get a re-entry visa before leaving.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it is issued.

After the visa expires a re-entry permit is needed to keep any any entry valid after the date the visa expires.

I have only ever used a re entry visa once in my second year. Is the re entry limited to one only or are they unlimited.

9 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I dont think so, i have never had to justify this, and am on my 3rd now.

You do, as of 1 March 2019

https://www.thephuketnews.com/holding-the-balance- phuket-immigration-clarifies-new-rules-on-retirement-visas-to-start-march-1-70401.php#wrTElVVD1vIwzKSi.97

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If retiring in Thailand and staying here long term, he doesn't have to go for a O-A Visa. The most common retirement Visa is the Non-Immigrant O with 1 year extension. So much easier to apply for, no medical test or police record check. And maybe the Thai government will go for a mandatory health insurance for the O-A Visa in the future. I said maybe.

If you want or need to leave the country,just go for a re-entry permit. 

But does'nt this require one to do 90 day border hops ?

8 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I have only ever used a re entry visa once in my second year. Is the re entry limited to one only or are they unlimited.

Unlimited.

You can buy unlimited single entry re-entry permits (1,000 baht each), or one multiple entry re-entry permit (3,800 baht) that gives unlimited entries.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Selatan said:

How long does it normally takes to get a new O-A visa approved anyway since you suggested that 2/3 months before the POS expires to return to home country?

You should consider your options 3 months before your POS expires.

If you intend applying for an annual extension, then it provides the time to season any required funds in a Thai bank.

If you intend to apply for a new Non O-A, then return home at the end of your POS.

If well organised you can obtain the required criminal record check, medical certificate, the Visa and return to Thailand within 3 weeks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Very well explained except that this visa can only be obtained in one's country of residence. All that is required is a Police clearance, proof of finances and photos.

The OP is applying in the UK, his Country of citizenship.

3 hours ago, Selatan said:

Applying from Queensland to RTE Canberra  just one week (pre paid return express envelope)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Not on an annual extension.

The Non Imm O ME Visa only allows 90 day entries, although the requirement to do a border hop can be extended by 60 days to 150 days if married to a Thai/family.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The OP is from the UK, who no longer offer the multi entry Non Imm O Visa.

The single entry Non Imm O Visa is only available to those with Thai family, or in receipt of the State Pension.

For the purpose of retirement, aged 50 -66, the Non O-A, Non O-X, or the Elite Visa are the only choices, unless you enter VE or on a TV and chance going through the conversion process at a local Immigration office.

No, you're totally wrong. The most common retirement visa in Thailand starts with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. It doesn't matter if you obtain the 90 days Non-Immigrant O in your home country (which is the easiest way) or in Thailand. Then you apply for the 1 year extension after 60 days. The financial requirements for the extension are >800k in the bank 2 months before applying and 3 months after.

Edited by Max69xl
typo

27 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

OK i will just use the same government document that i used to apply for the visa.  It is issued by the Australian Social Security office, known as an "Assets & Income Statement.

Edited by Huckenfell

31 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

This is a single entry 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa which you extend 1 year after 60 days. You need to be 50 or older. Then you have to meet the financial requirements for the extension.

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

No, you're totally wrong. The most common retirement visa in Thailand starts with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. It doesn't matter if you obtain the 90 days Non-Immigrant O in your home country (which is the easiest way) or in Thailand. Then you apply for the 1 year extension after 60 days. The financial requirements for the extension are >800k in the bank 2 months before applying and 3 months after.

I wish you'd read previous posts before jumping in, particular post #31.

Just now, Max69xl said:

Again, he can start with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. Less requirements and paperwork and not expensive. 

Do read the full thread first!

The OP wants a Non Imm O-A until the exchange rate improves.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Apologies, your absolutely correct.

I was forgetting that under the new E-Visa process, the SE Non Imm O had been made available for being over 50.

The 90 days Non-immigrant O has been available for years when over 50. Everybody doesn't use eVisa.

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The 90 days Non-immigrant O has been available for years when over 50. Everybody doesn't use eVisa.

No it hasn't.

The single entry Non O was withdrawn to those over 50 late 2014.

It's only been reintroduced since the E-Visa application process became effective.

The OP doesn't want a Non O and subsequent annual extension, which would require transferring funds or income to a Thai bank account @ 37 baht -£.

With the O-A he can keep his funds in a UK bank.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

This is a single entry 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa which you extend 1 year after 60 days. You need to be 50 or older. Then you have to meet the financial requirements for the extension.

You can only gag a SE Non O in the UK if you’re in receipt of a pension or have 10K GBP in the bank.

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

There's no Non-Immigrant O-A Visa, just 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement, marriage or spouse.

The O-A is a long stay visa and can only be obtained in your home country. Not in Thailand.

And if he's going to wait for a better exchange rate,then he will be a very old man before he enters Thailand.

Don't forget Brexit.

36 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

There's no Non-Immigrant O-A Visa, just 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement, marriage or spouse.

The O-A is a long stay visa and can only be obtained in your home country. Not in Thailand.

And if he's going to wait for a better exchange rate,then he will be a very old man before he enters Thailand.

Don't forget Brexit.

The OP is enquiring about a Non O-A visa from his home country; which there certainly is!

He can enter Thailand now without exchanging 800K by using the O-A visa and keeping the money in the UK, or entering Thailand with an O-A or O visa and transferring his funds to a foreign currency account.

• Like 1