Hotel for 1 night to overcome tm30 problem?

I've arrived into Thailand today on a visa exemption which I'll be extending for 30 days.  I'm staying in an airbnb condo for 2 months and,long story short,  can't get documents from the owner. 

My plan is to book a cheap hotel today for 1 night, so they'll register me with immigration. I'll get a letter off them confirming my stay. 

My question is will this cover me for the tm30 when I go for my extension in 4 weeks, or do I need to go to immigration in the morning to register the tm30? I'd obviously rather avoid 2 trips to Jomtien immigration.

Thanks. 

27 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I would say you check into the hotel the day or even better book 2 nights before you do your extension and give the address of the hotel you are staying in when you apply for your extension and you should have no problems.

You are covered y the hotel reporting your stay - and if the owner of the condo did not report your stay previously it’s his/ her problem not yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have heard immigration is only able or only desires to check the most recent TM30 not the entire string of TM30s within reporting periods.  Anyone know if there's any truth to this? I don't plan to game the system but it would be helpful to know how it works so I pay extra attention to the latest TM30 if this is true.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

But immigration will refuse his extension if he doesnt have one, it soon becomes his problem.

exactly this ...

not your problem until you deal with immigration then they won't submit your request and will want fine you too and have no interest in chasing the property owner lol .

• Like 2

If the hotel DOES register you, would it only be for the nights you actually stay there, and after that do they tell Immigration that you checked out.....then where are you?

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If the hotel DOES register you, would it only be for the nights you actually stay there, and after that do they tell Immigration that you checked out.....then where are you?

Exactly. That's the question I'm asking. Would my registration be valid in 4 weeks. Or, as has been suggested, would I be better to check into a hotel the night before I go to immigration?

30 minutes ago, BestB said:

Hotels do not provide letters confirming TM30 was done and highly unlikely to give you letter confirming you staying there when you book for 1 night .

and it is 50/50 chance cheap place will bother to report someone staying 1 night, that is if they do any reports at all

The vast majority of hotels do register their guests with immigration. I would obviously confirm that with them before booking. 

All hotels will give you headed paper confirming your stay. 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

But immigration will refuse his extension if he doesnt have one, it soon becomes his problem.

You have a link saying that?

19 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

If married, or you're with a Thai man icon_smile.gif , get them to book the room. The farang is not registered and as far as immigration are concerned you are still tucked up in wet Isaan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wasabi said:

I have heard immigration is only able or only desires to check the most recent TM30 not the entire string of TM30s within reporting periods.  Anyone know if there's any truth to this? I don't plan to game the system but it would be helpful to know how it works so I pay extra attention to the latest TM30 if this is true.

My personal experience at my immigration office, is that when the immigration officer checked, he saw October last year, February this year and May this year, suffice to say we saw immigration in August to ask about this TM30 thing, so we were already reported in the system, as for how early they get the info, is anyone's guess, but if hotels do it online, I would say your in the system pretty much as soon as they complete the TM30 online.

10 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You have a link saying that?

If married, or you're with a Thai man icon_smile.gif , get them to book the room. The farang is not registered and as far as immigration are concerned you are still tucked up in wet Isaan.

The only problem with that is, that all hotels are required to take a copy of everyone's ID's, that said, some don't, and I would imagine they are the lower end hotels, 1-2 star as I have stayed at 3-4 star hotels booked in the wives name, Thai surname and I am always asked for my ID, even when I accompany her later, it is hotel policy sir, in case of fire and for insurance, so that we know who is in the hotel in case of fire.

So I would imagine it depends on the hotels ranking and policies, maybe I should stay at a 1-2 star, but doubt the kids would want to stay with us, because they have a set criteria, and the list is bloody long ????

50 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

The vast majority of hotels do register their guests with immigration. I would obviously confirm that with them before booking. 

Really ? And how exactly do you know what vast majority does or does not do? And no, cheap hotel will not give you “headed” paper for 1 night stay and no one in cheap or large hotel will tell you what they do or do not do.

• Like 1

Half-expect hotels to include this "service" in their advertising... "rate includes ABF and TM30".

Assuming the hotel files a TM30 (some do it by email, some by fax, some using the online system) you should be OK. Showing a hotel receipt - indicates you've checked out? - or document won't help if they didn't file a TM30. Who knows how quickly the email and fax submittals get entered into the Imm. DB? My guess? Not soon, if at all.

And make sure you use the hotel's address on your extension application.

Just now, mtls2005 said:

Half-expect hotels to include this "service" in their advertising... "rate includes ABF and TM30".

I would rather they tell me what customers types will be fighting over the breakfast buffet, but that isn't going to happen. 

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Assuming the hotel files a TM30 (some do it by email, some by fax, some using the online system) you should be OK. Showing a hotel receipt - indicates you've checked out? - or document won't help if they didn't file a TM30. Who knows how quickly the email and fax submittals get entered into the Imm. DB? My guess? Not soon, if at all.

And make sure you use the hotel's address on your extension application.

Immigration would want a letter from hotel confirming their stay. Sometimes immigration will

accept booking confirmation from agoda or alike , but not 1 night bookings 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Really ? And how exactly do you know what vast majority does or does not do? And no, cheap hotel will not give you “headed” paper for 1 night stay and no one in cheap or large hotel will tell you what they do or do not do.

OK.  You're obviously an expert on hotels and their headed paper policies.  555

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

OK.  You're obviously an expert on hotels and their headed paper policies.  555

Thanks 

Usually when one owns a hotel in Thailand for over a decade some would call it an expert but do not let that stop you from trolling more 

PS. As a self proclaimed expert, let me also educate you a little, free of charge,  It’s called letterhead not headed paper 

Edited by BestB

You have missed the 427 threads about people being refused 90 day reports and extensions until a TM30 is done.

If immigration were happily giving extensions and doing 90 day reports, and never asking for a TM30, there would be no TM30 issue.

In Bangkok CW you do not need a TM30 to do a 90-day report if you remain at the same address as your previous 90-day report. I did my 90 day report there a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

it is hotel policy sir, in case of fire and for insurance, so that we know who is in the hotel in case of fire.

Notice they don't say it's for immigration.  icon_smile.gif So I assume you assumed it was for immigration also?   In 14 years I've always got the missus to book in. Never been asked for ID irrespective of star ratings.

You have missed the 427 threads about people being refused 90 day reports and extensions until a TM30 is done.

So you or those 427 threads don't have a link that says you can't have your extension if your landlord hasn't paid his/her tm30 fine? How on earth can someone be punished for someone else's crime???? I call BS that they refuse to give you your extension. Link please and I'll apologies.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Book into the hotel the day before you go to immigration and be in it the day you go for your extension.

No need to go the day you arrive in Thailand. 

So 2 nights and you should be sorted. Probably be OK just the day before going to immigration but for 30 days better to be safe. 

Or if you can get a contract written up just pay the fine and you will be good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Immigration would want a letter from hotel confirming their stay. Sometimes immigration will

accept booking confirmation from agoda or alike , but not 1 night bookings 

Are you serious ? 

Hotels are very unlikely to write letters to immigration telling them people are staying at there hotel. 

That's why they do the online TM30 reporting. If they don't report you they also wont write you a letter.

If you ask them for a receipt then that would be OK as I did that myself. Trouble there is it will have the day you booked in and out on, so not going to work if you have booked out before going to immigration. As you will have needed to fill in a new TM30 to the place you are then staying at. 

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Notice they don't say it's for immigration.  icon_smile.gif So I assume you assumed it was for immigration also?   In 14 years I've always got the missus to book in. Never been asked for ID irrespective of star ratings.

So you or those 427 threads don't have a link that says you can't have your extension if your landlord hasn't paid his/her tm30 fine? How on earth can someone be punished for someone else's crime????

Of course there is no official link, thats why there is all the outrage and 427 threads about it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, berybert said:

Are you serious ? 

Hotels are very unlikely to write letters to immigration telling them people are staying at there hotel. 

That's why they do the online TM30 reporting. If they don't report you they also wont write you a letter.

If you ask them for a receipt then that would be OK as I did that myself. Trouble there is it will have the day you booked in and out on, so not going to work if you have booked out before going to immigration. As you will have needed to fill in a new TM30 to the place you are then staying at. 

Another expert on hotels , have you worked in one? Managed one? Owned one? 

No, but you stayed in one , so you of course know ????

Edited by BestB
  • Like 1