Hotel for 1 night to overcome tm30 problem?

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Hotels do not provide letters confirming TM30 was done and highly unlikely to give you letter confirming you staying there when you book for 1 night .

and it is 50/50 chance cheap place will bother to report someone staying 1 night, that is if they do any reports at all

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Immigration would want a letter from hotel confirming their stay. Sometimes immigration will

accept booking confirmation from agoda or alike , but not 1 night bookings 

As an expert what is your view on hotels writing letters to immigration ? 

Yes, it will work out. I have the same situation and did it last time. Booked a hotel a day or two before extension for 1 day. They registered me in a system, i asked for a screenshot of that (cause u probably will need it at immigration) and had no problem with that.

on a screenshot there will be yr name, departure card number and dates of staying basically. Just print it out and u good to go.

Edited by ClearM1nd
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BestB said:

Another expert on hotels , have you worked in one? Managed one? Owned one? 

As someone who's owned one, can you confirm what a hotel would do if a foreigner presents their passport (with valid permission to stay dates) but no TM6? I seem to remember reading a TM30 can't be filed online if there's no TM6 details alongside. 

15 minutes ago, ClearM1nd said:

Yes, it will work out. I have the same situation and did it last time. Booked a hotel a day or two before extension for 1 day. They registered me in a system, i asked for a screenshot of that (cause u probably will need it at immigration) and had no problem with that.

on a screenshot there will be yr name, departure card number and dates of staying basically. Just print it out and u good to go.

Thanks very much. That's good to know. 

I don't think you need to be an expert to figure this tm30 thing out.   The purpose of tm30 is to keep track of people FROM THE TIME THEY ENTER THE COUNTRY.   They look at your passport (date of entry).  Then they ask "where have you been staying SINCE YOU CAME IN ?  Followed by "why have you not reported where you have stayed?"    They will almost certainly ask that,  NOT why has the owner or hotel or gf or ladyboy you stayed at not reported you.   As a landlord (rental house) I saw this first hand when going to report a tenant as moving in to our place.They typed in his passport number and then asked where he was staying BEFORE.   They have computers.  They are not stupid.  

So if you do not have a record of where you stayed immediately after FIRST entering on your latest entry to Thailand (with a tm30 receipt to show).... then any games you try will not work .    The rules and enforcement of the tm30 "updating"  has been on a hundred threads already so I will not waste your time with that.    

Follow up :   Another bunch of the usual posters that will say it is not the responsibility of the renter.

Hey,  still waiting for ONE post that said they won that argument at immigration and got what they went for.

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

But immigration will refuse his extension if he doesnt have one, it soon becomes his problem.

Finally someone who sees the problem.

In other threads is always "skip it", "don't bother", "not your problem"......Well, it isn't a problem until it becomes a problem and then it's too late.

49 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Thanks very much. That's good to know. 

Yes it is good to know. It's also good to know you will need to fill in a TM30 whilst you are at immigration.

They will want to know where you are staying, not just where you stayed. 

Hence staying in the hotel for 2 nights, night before and night after.

1 hour ago, ClearM1nd said:

They didnt ask me. A last notification was enough.

Not enough information.   Did you ALREADY have a tm30 receipt with you ?

As noted many times,  all offices have different requirements.  Some small offices may not hassle over tm30 much ( i was ok doing it without being fined..... though of course had never done one before)  And that was 4 years ago  ????

Bigger offices nowadays are usually strict !   That means checking on their computer the way i described.

I am pretty sure MOST of the people getting fined here are for "first time" offences.   Though if you travel abroad and do not go to report when coming back almost certain to face a fine as well

Edited by rumak

1 hour ago, ClearM1nd said:

Really? Do tell more????????????

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

As someone who's owned one, can you confirm what a hotel would do if a foreigner presents their passport (with valid permission to stay dates) but no TM6? I seem to remember reading a TM30 can't be filed online if there's no TM6 details alongside. 

By law, hotels must report every single foreigner, in reality it does not happen. Cheap hotels do not do any reports at all. I know one next to me, thai owned, she does not even know of such law and when I told her she did not know what or where to start.

the ones that do , do the reporting, do not report everyone, especially 1 night bookings.

system requires tm6, departure card number, without it, it does not accept it, however I found a “loophole” if I enter AA00000 system accepts it.

I assume/presume if immigration checks they realise person did not have TM6, not too sure how it affects person later on.

i have had some guests ask for a letter confirming they were staying in the hotel and how long , some used their booking with OTA and was accepted. 

The ones who used the booking, their booking was long enough way past the day they were doing extension 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mockingbird said:

I'm staying in an airbnb condo for 2 months and,long story short,  can't get documents from the owner. 

Did you check whether this is also a Condotel or only private condo apartments?

If it's a Condotel and they have a reception, you could ask them if they can assist to register you. 

They've done this for me for before 

Edited by RedPill

9 minutes ago, berybert said:

No you were not clear. So a translator would be a good idea.

Thank you

Basil Fawlty was based on a real life character, wasn't you by any chance was it ?

Troll on. You have been told how it works but appears it’s not good enough , you know better because you stayed in hotel so you know better, a bit like an alcoholic who spends all his time on a bar stool and now educates how bars work and should be run????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Usually when one owns a hotel in Thailand for over a decade some would call it an expert but do not let that stop you from trolling more 

PS. As a self proclaimed expert, let me also educate you a little, free of charge,  It’s called letterhead not headed paper 

Perhaps you can answer a question that came to mind recently then.

Do hotels register a foreigner as residing on a daily basis, or just on the day of arrival? If the latter, do they notify when he leaves, or is the 'stay' over-riden by a new entry elsewhere for that person?

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

the ones that do , do the reporting, do not report everyone, especially 1 night bookings.

system requires tm6, departure card number, without it, it does not accept it, however I found a “loophole” if I enter AA00000 system accepts it.

Yes, I wonder if small hotels that do ask for a passport would generally also go on to file the TM30 after logging the details in their own record books. A regular place I've used for many years never needed my passport to check in until earlier this year - they were quite apologetic about asking for it. But it may be more to do with having correct books to show in relation to the police crackdowns on hotels recently, rather than being a precursor to them filing a TM30. 

9 minutes ago, BestB said:

Troll on. You have been told how it works but appears it’s not good enough , you know better because you stayed in hotel so you know better, a bit like an alcoholic who spends all his time on a bar stool and now educates how bars work and should be run????????

Oh on the 'you're a drunk now'  I know how it works because I have done it. Though hotels, online and going to Chaeng Wattana. 

You on the other hand have offered the OP no help what so ever. Just making petty remark after petty remark. 

With your lovely manner I take it you don't get any return business. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BestB said:

I assume/presume if immigration checks they realise person did not have TM6, not too sure how it affects person later on.

It wouldn't effect the person at all. They would either be told by a competent hotel owner to go to immigration and get a new TM6 card. Or they would fill one in when departing the country.

With the new rules and regulations it might effect the dodgy hotels who input the system with false information. 

I applied for a Certificate of residence and was fined for not filing a TM30 when this all started becoming an issue about 4 years ago.

They printed off the A4 sheet which was records of my entry, it had my photo, a mini scan of my passport. I was quite surprised by the detail, under the photo was words to the effect of “no tm30” 

Point I’m saying, won’t they be concerned that you / hotel didn’t file a tm30 when you arrived, as far as I know, the tm30 doesn’t reset when you move into a new place - they would want to see the collection from within 24 hours of you arriving. 

However I’m sure dumb tourists must try all the time to apply for extensions without knowing about the bureaucracy involved or where they stayed last night. 

You may be better doing a border run.

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Notice they don't say it's for immigration.  icon_smile.gif So I assume you assumed it was for immigration also?   In 14 years I've always got the missus to book in. Never been asked for ID irrespective of star ratings.

So you or those 427 threads don't have a link that says you can't have your extension if your landlord hasn't paid his/her tm30 fine? How on earth can someone be punished for someone else's crime???? I call BS that they refuse to give you your extension. Link please and I'll apologies.

Have you ever read a hotel policy, refer to below just to give you an idea.

Another thing without being disrespectful, it would also depend in what province your staying at or have stayed at, e.g. if it was Phuket as our was, once upon a time where I once had a room booked by my wife in her Thai name as she was already here and I was in Oz on business, and this is what happened, we went out in the evening, staff change shifts as you know, this was our first night, we got home about 2am, and as we walked up to the check in counter to go up the stairs, e.g. we had our key to our door already, so no need to talk to the guy behind the counter reading his paper, this guy is the new shift and hadn't seen us before, not even looking up, he mumbled to my wife before she got her foot on the 1st step, ID card, oooooooooooooops, wife turned slowly, and went off in Thai, he could see by the way she was dressed up that she wasn't a working girl, well not that night anyway......lol, he immediately started doing his wai and apologising profusely, then she said to him in a joking manner after she saw he sheet himself, that she wasn't working anymore, she's retired and married, see, my ring, you have eyes, look in future before you open your mouth, you should of seen the look on the guys face, he didn't know whether to laugh or cry, didn't make that mistake again did he, always smiling and waiing when he saw us, wife joking with him, it was quite funny as my wife never had to show her ID at hotels when we returned to our room since we got married ????

So what I am saying is maybe because your wife is booking the room, they think ? saying that respectfully, or they know her now as you have stayed there before, that said, I think that you will find if hotels don't take down all guests details, they are liable to a big fine as it is an industry standard, but then again, you have to be unlucky for immigration to turn up and go through the register, but I am sure if they got bitten once, they would be putting your details down in the register, but if you can keep getting away with it, good luck to you, me, just get my wife to go on line in the future and log in the details, too easy, no one stopping me at a roadside check and me questions.

GUEST REGISTRATION:

We require valid contact information from the guest making the reservations including first and last name, address, phone number, and signature. The names of all guests occupying the room must be registered. Information regarding your license plate/car description is also gathered at check-in for security.
CHECK-OUT TIME: Room rental period expires at 11:00 a.m. Additional day charge, plus tax may apply for late checkout.

2 hours ago, rumak said:

Not enough information.   Did you ALREADY have a tm30 receipt with you ?

As noted many times,  all offices have different requirements.  Some small offices may not hassle over tm30 much ( i was ok doing it without being fined..... though of course had never done one before)  And that was 4 years ago  ????

Bigger offices nowadays are usually strict !   That means checking on their computer the way i described.

I am pretty sure MOST of the people getting fined here are for "first time" offences.   Though if you travel abroad and do not go to report when coming back almost certain to face a fine as well

I did, had a printed screenshot that i been registered at certain hotel for 1 day (day before my extension). That was it

Edited by ClearM1nd

12 minutes ago, ClearM1nd said:

I did, had a printed screenshot that i been registered at certain hotel for 1 day (day before my extension). That was it

i did what ?  I asked if you ALREADY had a tm30 previous to going in that day?  Anyway,  good for you if

your immig office accepted that.   I can almost guarantee that your method will not fly in MOST cases.

But of course anyone is free to try and report back here.  

Mind sharing which office you did it ?   Maybe one far away from the main areas where people are having problems?   

BTW:  have you read Recom's post on this page confirming what i wrote?  Some people on this forum may read your post and think what you say you did is going to work, easy peasy.

I don't think so........

Edited by rumak
added content

7 hours ago, BestB said:

Hotels do not provide letters confirming TM30 was done and highly unlikely to give you letter confirming you staying there when you book for 1 night .

and it is 50/50 chance cheap place will bother to report someone staying 1 night, that is if they do any reports at all

But the hotel bill for the  night will prove that you stayed their.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps you can answer a question that came to mind recently then.

Do hotels register a foreigner as residing on a daily basis, or just on the day of arrival? If the latter, do they notify when he leaves, or is the 'stay' over-riden by a new entry elsewhere for that person?

System gives 2 options, check in date and check out date. Check in date is required for system to accept it, check out date can be left blank, so pretty much only the check in, arrival date is what gets registered.

No requirement to notify when leaving but have the check out option but again, check out is not compulsory