Hotel for 1 night to overcome tm30 problem?

16 minutes ago, Percy P said:

But the hotel bill for the  night will prove that you stayed their.

If you booked via say Agoda, then yes sure, but that does not excuse you if TM 30 not filed.

Say you book for 1 night, hotel does NOT report you, you go to immigration in the afternoon, no TM 30 and hotel has not done anything wrong yet.

Say you go in the morning the next day, hotel still did not report , so no TM 30 yet again hotel has not done anything wrong yet because have 24 hours to make the report, but your booking is for 1 night and you already no longer staying there.

Makes sense?

29 minutes ago, ClearM1nd said:

As i said, the only thing i had was a screenshot that i been registered at certain hotel a day before i did extension.

I was in doubt myself when did it, cause u can clearly see a date of staying on a screenshot

1 i do not believe any hotel would let you behind the counter to take a screen shot of the computer and 2 most importantly, screen shot of what? online formed filled out? that is not proof it was sent to immigration, shot of saved data? it does not show any data besides pop up message in Thai confirming data sent.

So what screenshot ? and of what?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, I wonder if small hotels that do ask for a passport would generally also go on to file the TM30 after logging the details in their own record books. A regular place I've used for many years never needed my passport to check in until earlier this year - they were quite apologetic about asking for it. But it may be more to do with having correct books to show in relation to the police crackdowns on hotels recently, rather than being a precursor to them filing a TM30. 

When its not busy, more gets reported, but when its busy and 1-2 night reservations, reporting is done selectively.

in a large, 4-5 star hotels they have department or person assigned just for that, but again, i would estimate about 60%, may be 70% at most of the guests get reported.

Its not actually fun thing to do, for example birth date on the system is numerical, but many passports have month, so you have to see there and think which month is what number. Some passport numbers are not clear, so again more like a guessing game what number or letter it might be.

All the silly questions, like which border, male or female and so on.

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

If the hotel DOES register you, would it only be for the nights you actually stay there, and after that do they tell Immigration that you checked out.....then where are you?

As an option - homeless. Sleeping on the beach, eating bananas. But with a lot of cash in the pockets. Just hate this reporting thing. Will this explanation be sufficient?

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Hotels do not provide letters confirming TM30 was done and highly unlikely to give you letter confirming you staying there when you book for 1 night .

and it is 50/50 chance cheap place will bother to report someone staying 1 night, that is if they do any reports at all

This is why we need to make a list of hotel snitches that sell us to immigration as son as we checkin.

Bu actually a residence certificate is not even needed to renew a driving license, so except when someone is so fond of rats that he wants to extend his visa, someone smart never needs to go there when crossing a border 4 times a year <3

35 minutes ago, BestB said:

ts not actually fun thing to do, for example birth date on the system is numerical, but many passports have month, so you have to see there and think which month is what number.

I agree that it must be a tough job for Thai, as they cannot do it with a calculator !

Maybe a computer program or mobile app could help them ?

13 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

As an option - homeless. Sleeping on the beach, eating bananas. But with a lot of cash in the pockets. Just hate this reporting thing. Will this explanation be sufficient?

I've not heard that they enquire about anything other than the most recent TM30 report, though if a hotel is used as a workaround immediately prior to getting an extension I can't see it being long before this changes.

I'm wondering though what happens if someone doesn't bother filing when returning from out of town trips. Is there any mechanism to catch up with the landlord based on the fact that a few TM30's are sent in to immigration periodically from hotels, but none are then sent in when returning home? Given that all punitive action seems to be taken only when a person needs to visit immigration for some reason, what are the consequences for the landlord of not filing (or the tenant not mentioning they've been out of town) in circumstances when immigration services are not required in the near future? 

13 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

I agree that it must be a tough job for Thai, as they cannot do it with a calculator !

Maybe a computer program or mobile app could help them ?

I am not a thai and find it annoying having to count out the months each time passport has a month instead of a number. 

But maybe you can teach me how to use a calculator when figuring out what number is each month 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I've not heard that they enquire about anything other than the most recent TM30 report, though if a hotel is used as a workaround immediately prior to getting an extension I can't see it being long before this changes.

I'm wondering though what happens if someone doesn't bother filing when returning from out of town trips. Is there any mechanism to catch up with the landlord based on the fact that a few TM30's are sent in to immigration periodically from hotels, but none are then sent in when returning home? Given that all punitive action seems to be taken only when a person needs to visit immigration for some reason, what are the consequences for the landlord of not filing (or the tenant not mentioning they've been out of town) in circumstances when immigration services are not required in the near future? 

It’s much easier than you think . TM 30 has your arrival into the country date, visa type, and point of entry .

Say you entered country 28 days ago and TM 30 is filed on 29th date, no prior entries , they can see you were staying elsewhere. Now you show you 1-2 night booking and asking for 30 days extension , again they know what is happening , but will they act or not is entirely up to immigration officer and this is why as I mentioned before , I have had guests who ask me to provide letter confirming they are staying in hotel, something similar to rental agreement. 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

1 i do not believe any hotel would let you behind the counter to take a screen shot of the computer and 2 most importantly, screen shot of what? online formed filled out? that is not proof it was sent to immigration, shot of saved data? it does not show any data besides pop up message in Thai confirming data sent.

So what screenshot ? and of what?

I specially found a hotel for this reason, sat down on a bike and visit a few. It was not hard through. Screenshot contained (i believe) filled and sent online form. I saw my name in there, departure card number and dates of staying in a hotel as well.

I believe immigration already had it in there system, so they can check it.

Edited by ClearM1nd

14 minutes ago, ClearM1nd said:

I specially found a hotel for this reason, sat down on a bike and visit a few. It was not hard through. Screenshot contained (i believe) filled and sent online form. I saw my name in there, departure card number and dates of staying in a hotel as well.

I believe immigration already had it in there system, so they can check it.

What you saw is a form, it does not automatically mean it was sent. There are 3 steps .

1 fill out information 

2. Save it

3. Send it off by another “save”

not possible to skip any of the steps , neither step can be printed, first step shows information which is what you saw, second step only shows names of all the people entered and final step shows nothing . There is no confirmation email or a number 

from what you described, you saw the first step, no guarantee was sent but more likely than not, unless they leave it for too long and then it automatically erases, so stupid not to have ability to save perm and send it off whenever ready . But good news is immigration had it, so they did it correctly ????

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Of course there is no official link, thats why there is all the outrage and 427 threads about it.

So why are you stating facts when you cannot prove that anyone has been refused an extension because the landlord failed to pay the fine or fill in a TM30. You're spreading false news. Here is your fake news.

But immigration will refuse his extension if he doesnt have one,

dnftt.gif

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

So why are you stating facts when you cannot prove that anyone has been refused an extension because the landlord failed to pay the fine or fill in a TM30. You're spreading false news. Here is your fake news.

dnftt.gif

Have you been living in a cupboard for 3 months ???

When do you think immigration checks for a TM30?, When you go to immigration for an extension ! They dont check any other time. If you dont have one they send you to the TM30 counter to get one.

Everyone of the TM30 threads has people saying they had to get a TM30 before they could get an extension.

Its what the whole TM30 issue is, otherwise there is no TM30 issue. 

If you dont have a TM30 nobody would ever ask for one, we wouldn't be posting on Thaivisa about it. Do you think everyone is complaining on Thaivisa because we dont need to provide a TM30 to get an extension.

Bangkok immigration, amongst others requires a TM30  to do an extension. 

Jomtien immigration wouldnt do my marriage extension until I went and got a TM30.

This very thread is about an OP who is going to check into a hotel to get a TM30 so he can get an extension. If immigration will give him an extension without a TM30, why is considering checking into a hotel ?

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You have missed the 427 threads about people being refused 90 day reports and extensions until a TM30 is done.

If immigration were happily giving extensions and doing 90 day reports, and never asking for a TM30, there would be no TM30 issue.

Why would you need a TM30 to do a 90 day report? Just do the 90 day report online.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Additionally to one night stay at the hotel, one should think about bar fining (that is the name) a Thai girl for a night. Take her to immigration next morning and she will confirm in pure Thai (with some unavoidable Isaan accent) that you do actually stay at the premises and ,even more, are quite an active type of tourist contributing to the Thai economy (mostly at nights). Getting creative is the way to go these days in Thailand.  

Edited by Zikomat
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, BestB said:

System gives 2 options, check in date and check out date. Check in date is required for system to accept it, check out date can be left blank, so pretty much only the check in, arrival date is what gets registered.

No requirement to notify when leaving but have the check out option but again, check out is not compulsory

Thanks, much appreciated. Just trying to get a handle on how this all keeps track of your whereabouts. (Maybe game the system.....)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone else finds themselves in my situation...

I checked into a cheap (700 baht) hotel yesterday morning.

They registered me with immigration, and gave me a letter headed letter confirming that I was staying with them. (despite the know it all hotel guy on this thread stating that no cheap hotel would give this to me staying for 1 night 555)

I went down to immigration this morning and got my TM30 receipt, no questions asked, and 30 day extension.

3 hours ago, mockingbird said:

In case anyone else finds themselves in my situation...

I checked into a cheap (700 baht) hotel yesterday morning.

They registered me with immigration, and gave me a letter headed letter confirming that I was staying with them. (despite the know it all hotel guy on this thread stating that no cheap hotel would give this to me staying for 1 night 555)

I went down to immigration this morning and got my TM30 receipt, no questions asked, and 30 day extension.

Good to know, thanks for report... I was planning something like that for my next trip... But in another thread though, IO asked the guy why his entry stamp was 3 days 'older' than his current TM30 (check-in) date, he said he was staying in BKK hotel 3 days (which was true) so they looked it up in the system, and he was OK... So I guess it just depends on different office (or officer) if they want to compare entry date with "check-in" date and dig deeper... Hope they don't in Phuket ????