Banks seek deadline delay on switch of ATM cards

webfact

Banks seek deadline delay on switch of ATM cards

By The Nation

800_ce6b843ae45228a.jpg?v=1567680334

The Thai Bankers' Association (TBA) will ask the Bank of Thailand (BOT) for a postponement of the deadline on the switch from magnetic ATM cards to chip-based cards from December 31 to January 15, 2020, citing high usage over the year-end period.

TBA president Preedee Daochai said, after a meeting, that member banks had agreed the BOT deadline should be delayed to January 15. Bank customers usually make frequent transactions at year end,” he added.

“We believe forcing customers to change their cards around such time could be hectic, therefore the deadline should be pushed over to the next year.”

Preedee said TBA would soon discuss with the central bank regarding its request for an extension to the deadline , among other issues. “There is ambiguity regarding the cards’ expiration date. We are not sure if the central bank will allow use of unexpired cards after the deadline, or do we have to make all cards unusable immediately when the deadline is due? We hope that Bank of Thailand will make a clarification,” he said.

Kasikorn Bank, meanwhile, said that of the 13 million ATM cards it had issued, only 1.7 million were the old magnetic strip-type.

Siam Commercial Bank also reported it has 2.8 million magnetic ATM cards still in circulation, out of a total of 12 million.

According to the Bank of Thailand’s announcement, holders of magnetic ATM cards can switch to chip-based cards at any bank branch where they opened an account, free of charge until December 31. They will also have to switch from a 4-digit PIN to a 6-digit one to enhance security.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375876

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-06

1 hour ago, domu said:

I have an old bbl card. is it possible to keep the visa number on the new card?

If you mean a debit card (not a credit card), then no. Bangkok Bank doesn't issue Visa debit cards anymore. You'd have to get their MasterCard debit card if you want to avoid being stuck with their UnionPay one.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Both my Thai and Indonesian ATM cards are chip and magnetic based.

Precisely my point - in modern economies the move is to contactless payments - no magnetic strip, no chip (although there is one there for more primitive countries). It's even possible to use the ATM of some banks by contactless means although the PIN is still required

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Wow the rose coloured glasses and how dare you criticise Thailand oh then comes the if you don't like it leave brigade... Let me tell you Thailand banking is decades behind the UK {I can only compare Thailand to the UK as now living back in the UK). Even the 8 years we were away living in Thailand the changes are amazing. I have not had cash in my wallet for 4 months and my wife only keeps a few £ in here's. We do all our finances on line. My wife is Thai and has zero restrictions as to the type of card or account. Even a teller in the bank is capable of answering and doing most thing but then again a phone call or a smart phone dose everything. Since I opened my bank account in Thailand 16 years ago I have seen no progress as a customer. It is shocking how they treat loyal farang customers. I could not get a credit card unless I gave them the money first then have it lent back to you at interest of course. 

I have seen huge progress.. strange that you have not maybe wrong bank or ignorance. I am at kasikorn bank love their mobile app, love how i can use my debit card almost as a creditcard for buying stuff online. Guess it differs per bank. Could use the debit card for grab food, for buying tickets at air asia. Love how they have integrated paying on lazada in their app. 

I wonder what bank your using. Recently got a new atm card so now they cant just take money away anymore i (they could before without a pin just a signature )have to use a code (much safer)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Precisely my point - in modern economies the move is to contactless payments - no magnetic strip, no chip (although there is one there for more primitive countries). It's even possible to use the ATM of some banks by contactless means although the PIN is still required

In the UK you have contact less without pin of upto £30 even my watch can do it. Buy a coffee flash and there you go buy a beer flash and there you go. It took me a while to get my head around but after being back for a month I noticed hardly anyone using cash for anything. 

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Both my Thai and Indonesian ATM cards are chip and magnetic based. At some ATM's one doesn't even need a card. So doesn't show anything backwards except maybe your attitude to Thailand?

banking here may be progressive compared to where you come from but banking in thailand is years behind banking where i come from; just look at the huge number of different card machines in shops because the banks cant get together and agree a common platform, contactless payment is the norm in many countries while thailand is just getting into chip and PIN(!) online banking web pages here look like they were designed for an IT project by a school student, staff in banks have to call HO in order to answer the most basic of enquiries/make a decision, bank staff dont seem to have any detailed knowledge about, er , banking! could go on... and i'm not putting thailand down i'm just stating some facts in response to your (rose tinted?) opinion of thai banking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

In the UK you have contact less without pin of upto £30 even my watch can do it. Buy a coffee flash and there you go buy a beer flash and there you go. It took me a while to get my head around but after being back for a month I noticed hardly anyone using cash for anything. 

Perhaps if you re-read my post carefully you'll see that my reference to the PIN was in relation to using the card contactless at an ATM

1 minute ago, Scot123 said:

16 years with Bangkok Bank so not much experience and only brought 1,000,000baht a year of foreign currency. Going to the bank was stressful in Thailand. Over the years banking I've been lied to, told how to falsify documents to get a mortgage etc. In Thailand I found Tisco bank the best for dealing with farangs and used them extensively over the years 3 car loans and 2 big bike loans in fact I could walk in ask for a loan and would have it before I walked out however when I asked about a swift code I got we don't have one.... They do and it was on a certificate hanging from the wall and they still insisted they did not have one even when I showed them it on their Web site. Sorry buddy but having worked in finance for years and understanding banking rules, regulations and some law and my own experience and that of friends Thailand is decades behind the UK. Then there is the blatant theft if you use your card in another province. Its behind the times. 

I guess you don't know much as you don't even recognise what i just put down there. I do agree that Thailand is behind the UK and the Netherlands, i work a lot with Dutch banks as I am accountant. Worked at a stock exchange firm having to settle with the US / UK and France so like you I know a thing or two about banking rules. Having said that your claim of no progress is simply untrue. That they are behind is true but IMHO and they have progressed a lot. At least Kasikorn has. But to expect them to be at the same level as the UK and Netherlands for instance is crazy. Just my opinion of course.

Going to the bank was never stressful for me, annoying at times because of stupid rules about the branch you started but that is something you can learn to live with. I brought in about the same amount of money as you per year and I have been satisfied. Guess i moan less then you.

• Like 1

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

I'd be happy for them to get to the same level as Singapore

I have no experience about that level, but to compare Thailand with the UK or Netherlands is just unfair. Thailand is behind that is for sure but also normal and logical. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, robblok said:

I have no experience about that level, but to compare Thailand with the UK or Netherlands is just unfair. Thailand is behind that is for sure but also normal and logical. 

Just to be clear, Singapore is at the same level as the UK or the Netherlands. If one ASEAN nation can do it, so could Thailand

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually lost my BBL Union pay debit card last week so had to get a replacement. I was offered either the Union Pay card again or a Mastercard debit cards. I choose the latter owing to so many places not accepting payment with a Union Pay card. Of course the Mastercard is chip and Pin but it appears the big bundle of Union Pay cards they brought out appeared to me not to have the chip which seems strange.

15 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Wow the rose coloured glasses and how dare you criticise Thailand oh then comes the if you don't like it leave brigade... Let me tell you Thailand banking is decades behind the UK {I can only compare Thailand to the UK as now living back in the UK). Even the 8 years we were away living in Thailand the changes are amazing. I have not had cash in my wallet for 4 months and my wife only keeps a few £ in here's. We do all our finances on line. My wife is Thai and has zero restrictions as to the type of card or account. Even a teller in the bank is capable of answering and doing most thing but then again a phone call or a smart phone dose everything. Since I opened my bank account in Thailand 16 years ago I have seen no progress as a customer. It is shocking how they treat loyal farang customers. I could not get a credit card unless I gave them the money first then have it lent back to you at interest of course. 

And you, wife's habits are tracked, noted, logged and sold.

Countless times I've left my goods in the queue and walked out waiting while person in front of me fussing about with card drama. People charging a coffee, top up 300b of transit cards absolutely ridiculous. Many are living on their credit cards I'm certain.

I am no fan of debt either.

I'll stick with cash thanks

Edited by Number 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

Just to be clear, Singapore is at the same level as the UK or the Netherlands. If one ASEAN nation can do it, so could Thailand

Just to be clear again Singapore has a lot higher income and different history then Thailand its like saying that all EU countries are at the same level.. also not true. But have fun bashing Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Maybe you need to read the bible? This is the mark of the beast if i remember reading revelations as a kid. It said everyone who accepts the mark will be cast into darkness.

i am not preaching just youre comment struck a  memory. Sound like the world is getting closer to this revelation

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Loyalty cards yes, debit cards no

Absolutely it is. Everything you purchase, place, time of day. This data is without a doubt sold on to others. It may even include you actual name depending on the agreement you signed with your bank related to holding and using the card.

If I can see by your transactions you buy a coffee at Starbucks every MWF I'll just wait for you there and pick you up for crimes against the state.

It's also in the Visa, MC database as well.

Edited by Number 6
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Just shows how backward Thailand is - the rest of the world (USA excepted) has moved on from chip-and-pin to contactless paywave/paypass for debit and credit cards

Available in Thailand also so I suppose, using your logic, that makes "the rest of the world" as "backward as Thailand, yes?

By the way, the contactless method is restricted to very small amounts for security reasons so the rest of the world, including Thailand, has not "moved on" from chip and PIN cards, at all. 

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Which banks issue VISA cards,my Bangkok Bank VISA card expires in 2 months

and I don't want their alternative, SCB, I already have a Mastercard with them.

regards Worgeordie

Kasikorn, KTB, Krungsri issue Visa cards.

Many people (including myself) didn't want the BBL Union Pay card initially because a lot of places didn't accept them, that is not the case now, most places are happy to take U.P.

• Thanks 1