TM 30 confused

16 minutes ago, SymS said:

I went to Chiang Mai immigration to ask the other day. TM28 must be filled by people on retirement's extension of stay. Others don't need to fill that one, only do the TM30.

I have never heard that requirement before, and I've been here a while.

What has a TM28 got to do with an extension? I have my Receipt of Notification (from an earlier TM30 report) stapled inside my passport. That works at my local immigration office.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

The law says nothing about the manager, he's included in housemaster. And a foreigner is not required to do the TM28,when staying somewhere. If staying for example, with a gf in her condo/apartment,she is the one who has to submit the TM30,no TM28 is needed. That's a fact. 

LOL - have you even read the law on the subject = Immigration Act 1979?

The law does indeed say hotel manager. Read section 38

"House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis to stay in the Kingdom legally, must notify the local Immigration Authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign National."

The law also requires a TM28 if you have changed residence or temporarily staying somewhere else. Read section 37. That's a fact and requirement of the law. As mentioned so many times it may not be enforced in some places, but that doesn't mean it isn't the law LOL

Or are you just making up your own laws on what you've heard? LOL 

Edited by fletchsmile

On 9/9/2019 at 2:38 PM, Jip99 said:

Yes to all of those................... depending on the requirements of your local immigration office.

One obvious comment.....if your wife does not report your presence, and you do not report your return, nobody will be any the wiser.

I doubt Kalasin Immigration will have lookouts posted around the province.

Exactly. Creating laws that cannot be enforced effectively highlights their stupidity.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, fletchsmile said:

The law also requires a TM28 if you have changed residence or temporarily staying somewhere else. Read section 37. That's a fact and requirement of the law. As mentioned so many times it may not be enforced in some places, but that doesn't mean it isn't the law LOL

Does this mean if you change from one hotel to another you as the guest have to fill in a TM28 ? 

Not sure anyone who has a 3 week holiday staying in 3 or 4 different hotels would have any idea they should be visiting immigration so often during their holiday.

Oh and adding LOL after every sentence as you have started doing is boring as well as silly. 

Edited by berybert

On 9/9/2019 at 2:38 PM, Jip99 said:

One obvious comment.....if your wife does not report your presence, and you do not report your return, nobody will be any the wiser.

I doubt Kalasin Immigration will have lookouts posted around the province.

I am for certain more confused than ever. 

I plan to use the advise submitted by Jip99.

Ignore the whole mess!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, berybert said:

Does this mean if you change from one hotel to another you as the guest have to fill in a TM28 ? 

Not sure anyone who has a 3 week holiday staying in 3 or 4 different hotels would have any idea they should be visiting immigration so often during their holiday.

Oh and adding LOL after every sentence as you have started doing is boring as well as silly. 

No it does not. Likely hotels will take care of TM30 requirements and TM28 is a change of permanent residential address within the same province or another Province.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:13 AM, Max69xl said:

I have never heard that requirement before, and I've been here a while.

What has a TM28 got to do with an extension? I have my Receipt of Notification (from an earlier TM30 report) stapled inside my passport. That works at my local immigration office.

I've been here nine years too. I had never heard about TM 30 until I got fined for not having the document when applying for a residence certificate. Last year, I also went in a trip for 2 months in Thailand in other province, and I was told I did not need to report TM 30 when I came back home.

I plan (planned?) to go to Lampang for a few days later this month, so seeing the buzz on the Internet, I double-checked, and indeed I was told I needed to report when I'm back. I read about TM28 in Thaivisa, so while I was there I asked for that one too, and that's when I was told TM28 was for retirees only... It's possible to other offices don't care. Oh the joy of randomly enforced laws!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, berybert said:

According to what is written in the law, then strictly the answer would be yes LOL

Every hotel you stay at has been dealing with this notification for years. It's just the alien side hasn't really been enforced

We're going away for a week next month. When I asked at immigration they said I needed to register locally, and then again at immigration when I returned. LOL

In all honest I didn't ask about changing hotels. But that's the process. Every time you move around for that's a new TM30 by the person responsible at where you stay the and a new TM28 by the alien. LOL

Oh and sorry you have a sense of humour failure about all this. I find so much of it laughable LOL 

20 hours ago, jacko45k said:

.... Likely hotels will take care of TM30 requirements and TM28 is a change of permanent residential address within the same province or another Province.

Jacko, 

TM28 can be used for two purposes:

1) Change of residence

2) When you are just travelling / visiting

These are two separate clauses in section 37 and also on the TM28 form itself it outlines uses 1 and 2 with Thai numbers, as well as a rather poor English explanation 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, fletchsmile said:

Jacko, 

TM28 can be used for two purposes:

1) Change of residence

2) When you are just travelling / visiting

These are two separate clauses in section 37 and also on the TM28 form itself it outlines uses 1 and 2 with Thai numbers, as well as a rather poor English explanation 

The only Immigration office that talks a lot about the TM28 is Phuket,and I think it's because of the high number of tourists. The TM28 has never been enforced in most of the provinces in Thailand.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, Max69xl said:

The TM28 has never been enforced in most of the provinces in Thailand.

When I changed province a couple of years ago I went to Ayutthaya IO armed with a TM30 and a TM28 as I was unsure which one applied.

The IO filed the TM30 and told me to return in 2 weeks to process the TM28 .

When I returned 2 weeks later the same IO told me “ we don’t bother with that here “ and tore it up !!

Go figure !!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

When I changed province a couple of years ago I went to Ayutthaya IO armed with a TM30 and a TM28 as I was unsure which one applied.

The IO filed the TM30 and told me to return in 2 weeks to process the TM28 .

When I returned 2 weeks later the same IO told me “ we don’t bother with that here “ and tore it up !!

Go figure !!

The TM28 was earlier used the way you just mentioned,when moving to another province, and together with the TM30. Maybe some offices still requires the TM28. Who knows? ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dallen52 said:

TM30

Report residency for alien. 

I used to go myself and do it. 

But Jomtien is saying not required now.

That is good news, the noose seems to have been loosened.

Mind you, 2 month old topic.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That is good news, the noose seems to have been loosened.

Mind you, 2 month old topic.

Oddly. 

I phoned Jomtien immigration in the morning. 

The lady said that its required. 

The reason for rocking up.

Front desk said no required to do. 

If same address. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dingo1170 said:

It is impossible to get a consensus on TM30 etc, it’s a minefield. Like everything here it’s up to the offices Interpretation and by Christ doesn’t that change around on a daily basis. It’s a ridiculous idea to start with, just get rid of it.

You can start by telling which immigration office you belong to.

Really funny , yes. When the Thais can get a general consensus on anything please, please, let me know. The ineptitude between provinces never ceases to amaze this little black duck. Good luck off to report my 90days as usual, because I don’t have 1996 internet explorer it the online reporting just doesn’t work lol.