UK's worst-case no-deal Brexit plan warns of food shortages, public disorder

webfact

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

It's pretty hard to see how Brexit isn't going to be kicked down the road yet again...maybe 2 years or forever . 

UK has let a dodgy referendum put democracy in an invidious situation.... Referendums are not an integral part of British democracy and as shown by the last one, they are potentially the tools of dictators, demogogues and despots.

It was advisory and not binding and this is part of the problem. For anyone who still doesn't understand the legal situation regarding the referendum here is the parliament document explaining it to MPs....

Referendums are not an integral part of British democracy and as shown by the last one, they are potentially the tools of dictators, demogogues and despots.

You won't be wanting another referendum then as won't all the other leavers who keep rabbiting on about another referendum. I'm glad that's sorted.

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Cameron stated the results would be HONOURED obviously a totally alien concept to the remainers.

And resigned immediately the result was announced, because he both didn't want to and couldn't honour the result.

Article 50 wasn't invoked because Cameron promised it, it wasn't invoked because "the people had spoken", it was invoked because a majority of MPs had voted to invoke it in parliament.

If the majority of MPs had voted not to invoke Article 50, that would have been the end of it, no Brexit. We have a parliamentary democracy in the UK not a people's court.

28 minutes ago, vogie said:

Referendums are not an integral part of British democracy and as shown by the last one, they are potentially the tools of dictators, demogogues and despots.

You won't be wanting another referendum then as won't all the other leavers who keep rabbiting on about another referendum. I'm glad that's sorted.

Huh, the opinion of one person is binding for others?

9 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

There are just 27 people there - and you’ve never seen 27 white people in a group together before ? 

Ever been to a football match, a swimming gala, a chess night ? Or ANY gathering in Cornwall ? 

What exactly is your point - though I admire your bravery as a leaver venturing into the racism field 

And out of 27 people what would be the chance of not one black person, pretty high I would have thought.

Thought for the day: If that had been a photo of the Brexit Party and not the EUs jolly boys outing, I think I would be safe in saying that the remainers would have thought that all their birthdays had come at once, and would now be having a field day.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Huh, the opinion of one person is binding for others?

Only when it suits. But this is not the just the opinion of one person, remainers are more divided than Jeremy Corbyns Labour Party. ????

So are referendums binding or not?

36 minutes ago, vogie said:

I'm wondering if its lack if comprehension or you are deliberately misinterpreting my post? 

22 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

Garbage,like this up to 100,000  Indians  (goans)last few years have applied and received Portuguese passports. Now those Portuguese passports have not been used for likes of living in Portugal, but for UK.   "Happy and content" is a phrase used by them there in Swindon.  anyway their wagons are circling,must have had letter from UK authorities that they must go .I could go on about Dutch passport holders from the likes of Mozambique 1000s of 'em  all around Lincolnshire  where the highest Brexit vote was taken  ....are you irish by any chance?

It still doesn't alter the fact that UK Immigration controls who enters the UK Complain to your MP about the laxity of processes, not me.

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

It did. It's always been the law.

It did..?

Can you post a link where the voting populace were told the referendum will not be binding.. ?

Seems strange to me that at the time the mud sling-ers NEVER mentioned it, well I don't recall, perhaps you do, again, can you point me to where we were told. Now I don't want you to post a page from a UK law book, I want where the electorate were told...

4 minutes ago, transam said:

It did..?

Can you post a link where the voting populace were told the referendum will not be binding.. ?

Seems strange to me that at the time the mud sling-ers NEVER mentioned it, well I don't recall, perhaps you do, again, can you point me to where we were told. Now I don't want you to post a page from a UK law book, I want where the electorate were told...

Fourth time now this morning. Brexiteers really have difficulties reading (or accepting)...

98D6D550-FA26-4B8E-AA93-7379B6BEBACF.jpeg

2 minutes ago, transam said:

It did..?

So yet another example of the populace being misinformed re the referendum and another reason to scrap it?

I assume you understand that ignorance of the law is no defence?

That's law too.

4 minutes ago, transam said:

It did..?

It's been the law for hundreds of years, ever since the Uk was governed by parliamentary democracy.

Better still, you post a link that shows where YOU were told that the law had changed and that the referendum was now binding.

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

I would much rather that the UK leaves with a fair deal for both sides.

IMHO it won't happen because the previous PM screwed the better deals up over 3 years and the UK was left with little option but a no deal. That was of course before this latest fiasco made entirely by parliament so that Boris has little left to do anything with.

May's deal satisfied the 'Leave the EU' criteria as stated on the referendum slip and honoured the vote. That's factual, not fiction, whichever way leavers spin it. The fact that the DUP and rebel ERG tories voted against it is NOT her fault.

IMO, she was considering the Best for Britain, which is probably impossible without remaining in the EU.  As it happens I agree that the best option right now is to leave with a deal in place, but under no circumstances should johnson be allowed to crash out on a no-deal basis. 

I suggest you complain to your MP. 

22 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

Garbage,like this up to 100,000  Indians  (goans)last few years have applied and received Portuguese passports. Now those Portuguese passports have not been used for likes of living in Portugal, but for UK.   "Happy and content" is a phrase used by them there in Swindon.  anyway their wagons are circling,must have had letter from UK authorities that they must go .I could go on about Dutch passport holders from the likes of Mozambique 1000s of 'em  all around Lincolnshire  where the highest Brexit vote was taken  ....are you irish by any chance?

Ah...a totally fallacious and racist take on Brexit

Archived