Krirk Uni: Teaching Job Without Bachelor Degree

regardless of what they say the possibility of a background check followed by deportation is a very real possibility-see the story about the 2 fake degree holders doing 3 months in jail before getting the boot-not a pretty scenario-to get a work permit you must have a degree-save your money

Um, the fake degree people were people who said they had degrees, which turned out to be fake. If you don't claim to have a degree, and don't, then you haven't committed fraud. And at least according to the "old" rules, many people worked as TEFL teachers (and still are working) legally, with work permits, in schools.

I don't know anything about the university you mention, OP, and I've never even heard of it. Care to give us some sort of link to the information you're asking about?

READ THE MAIL THEY SENT TO ME BELOW:

Dear Applicant

We have received over 400 job seekers email with in a few days. Much more then we expected. Unfortunately this email address is also used for promoting TEFL/TESOL courses as well regular emailing and we have got our selves in a mess.Most of the Emails have attchements and it take some time to open it up.Please hereafter if possible, to save us some time, do not attach and do not press the send resume button in ajarn.com it take us to long time to handle all Emails, please write inside your email (direct to us)your details and other.

........You dont need a Bachelor degree to apply

We are scheduled to have a 1 day information meeting and a seminar Friday 23/3, and at the same time also inform about TEFL and job opportunities ( 08.00-16.00).

You are welcome to attend the seminar if you wish, for those who do not wish to attend the seminar are still welcomed to talk to our interviewers at the same time/location.

If you do not wish to attend to the Seminar, but would like to see our interviewers just come at the appointed time. Please bring 2 photographs.

For you that are hindered or do not wish to come at this time will be contacted as soon as possible.

Our intention is to answer all your emails in person as soon as possible.

If you wish to attend the seminar, The Seminar will start 09.00 until 15.00, cost 250 bath incl. coffee. Please book your seat by replying to this email. if you do wish to attend the seminar. Put "Seminar" in the subject line on your email, state in your email: Full name, nationality,institute and contact numbers if any. You are automatically invited by sending the email, in case of over booked we will contact you. Welcome

For you that wish to study a TEFL/TESOL course next course start is the 5 th. of April. If you have any questions regarding TEFL/TESOL, send us an Email. Put "TEFL" in the subject line on your email, state in your email: Full name, nationality and contact numbers if any.

Once again if you cant join us on Friday, we will contact you as soon as possible.

Admin at KRIRK University

Krirk University : 43/1111 Ram-indra Rd. Bangkok

มหาวิทยาลัยเกริก

: 43/1111

อนุสาวรีย์ - หลักสี่ ถนนรามอินทรา กรุงเทพฯ 10220

Bus 39 From Victory Monument

Thanks for the info, Leanester. I had to remove the links to the commercial websites, especially since it's to a competitor of our forum sponsor. It's the first I'd ever heard of the place.

It's not unusual for TEFL courses to offer admission to people without a degree. Last I checked, I think even the 'most reputable' places allowed it. Having a TEFL certificate based on more than 100 hours of classroom instruction, and many hours of supervised teaching time, is the industry standard.

Yes Leon, i would say "be careful".

You have to read between the lines. And then some.

Did they actually write down anywhere something like this, "after doing our tefl course, we can get you a job, work permit and teachers licence - even if you dont have a degree"

It's doubtful.

Furthermore, read carefully between the lines about claims for people working without degrees.

Whilst there are some people, legally working without degrees, on this forum, I would say they are in the great minority. They are the exception rather than the rule. Sometimes it can be done, other times it cant.

However, bearing that in mind, if i were selling a TEFL course, i COULD make the claim that "There are currently many people legally working without degrees in Thailand"

Now - that isnt a lie is it? But it might fool you into believing that this is the normal state of affairs and it's easy to do. In my opinion, it isnt.

I would go to the seminar and try to ask as many closed questions as possible. See if they will commit the answers to paper.

Good luck and maybe update this thread after the seminar if you could.

Edited by markg

I've noticed that there is huge difference in GOVERNMENT schools and PRIVATE schools.

Requirements such as: degrees, police checks and TOEIC/TOEFL/IELTS scores, are often not required by private schools, however most private schools follow the government's requirements being afraid of loosing their accreditation.

One of our students was hired by a private school and because he didn't have a degree he would only earn 25,000 Baht instead of 30,000 Baht.

The fact that you're not a native speaker yourself may be a bigger problem than the lack of degree? I have no degree but have had two good jobs at government schools with work permits and 30k salary. I do have a TEFL cert. done in Thailand.There are some strange things going on with the MOE and immigration at the moment and nobody seems to have handle on it?? Different schools in different locations have different rules to follow it seems.

KRIRK sees really shaky to me. By reading the letter I don't think that they are native speakers either, maybe a Thai operation. I wouldn't even think about it unless you can speak to a recent graduate as a reference. There are many other options that are well known and long established.

Good Luck!!

READ THE MAIL THEY SENT TO ME BELOW:

Dear Applicant

We have received over 400 job seekers email with in a few days. Much more then we expected. Unfortunately this email address is also used for promoting TEFL/TESOL courses as well regular emailing and we have got our selves in a mess.Most of the Emails have attchements and it take some time to open it up.Please hereafter if possible, to save us some time, do not attach and do not press the send resume button in ajarn.com it take us to long time to handle all Emails, please write inside your email (direct to us)your details and other.

........You dont need a Bachelor degree to apply

We are scheduled to have a 1 day information meeting and a seminar Friday 23/3, and at the same time also inform about TEFL and job opportunities ( 08.00-16.00).

You are welcome to attend the seminar if you wish, for those who do not wish to attend the seminar are still welcomed to talk to our interviewers at the same time/location.

If you do not wish to attend to the Seminar, but would like to see our interviewers just come at the appointed time. Please bring 2 photographs.

For you that are hindered or do not wish to come at this time will be contacted as soon as possible.

Our intention is to answer all your emails in person as soon as possible.

If you wish to attend the seminar, The Seminar will start 09.00 until 15.00, cost 250 bath incl. coffee. Please book your seat by replying to this email. if you do wish to attend the seminar. Put "Seminar" in the subject line on your email, state in your email: Full name, nationality,institute and contact numbers if any. You are automatically invited by sending the email, in case of over booked we will contact you. Welcome

For you that wish to study a TEFL/TESOL course next course start is the 5 th. of April. If you have any questions regarding TEFL/TESOL, send us an Email. Put "TEFL" in the subject line on your email, state in your email: Full name, nationality and contact numbers if any.

Once again if you cant join us on Friday, we will contact you as soon as possible.

Admin at KRIRK University

Krirk University : 43/1111 Ram-indra Rd. Bangkok

มหาวิทยาลัยเกริก

: 43/1111

อนุสาวรีย์ - หลักสี่ ถนนรามอินทรา กรุงเทพฯ 10220

Bus 39 From Victory Monument

A lot of grammar errors. Is it only me or someone else also noticed that? :D

I just wonder how can they go for TEFL/TESOL or any other similar courses. :o

Good luck, Leon. Remember: since there do not appear to be any real RULES, they can say what the law is, or what the regulation is, without lying. But they will not tell you the truth, because truth is a subjective, vague thing here. I'm tempted to say you'll never be legal, but 'legal' is another one of those "bend me, break me, anyway you want me" concepts.

It is best to have a real bachelor's degree, a certification that you passed a real TEFL course, be a well-groomed native speaker between the ages of 22 and 40, and have experience of a year or more teaching in Thailand. As soon as you're missing one of those four attributes (you still are missing all four), you're on shaky ground.

But 6 or 7 weeks from now, you can probably get a job. So can your little sister, even if she doesn't speak English. Dracula and Spock, also. :o

I am a teacher in the upper-south. For years, several teachers don't have a degree but do have a TEFL-Certificate and got a work permit here.

A close friend of mine is from the Netherlands, now 48 years old, only secondary education but with a lot of in-company trainings he became a manager at an international company in the Netherlands. Two years ago he came to Thailand to retire but eventually wanted to work (boredom). He did a 120 hours TEFL course, got a beautiful certificate with a nice Thai translation and applied last academic year for a job at a primary education governement school. He got the job and a work permit. His job will continue for next academic year.

There are too many different stories about degrees, native speakers of English, colour, etc. for having a job a a TEFL teacher. It REALLY depends on the Service Area of the Ministry of Education and there are a couple of hundred of them in Thailand.

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

Hi Leon,

Thank you for sharing your experience about the seminar yesaterday! How many Filipinos were there? I am planning to go there on April 9 to check on the validity. How much is the fee for the TEFL? Is there other schedul of seminar aside from 3-23?

Ok, I went to the seminar yesterday, and this is my personal experience...you CAN get a teaching job without a degree, the ministry of education just want you to have some of the requirements (bachelor Degree, TELF/CELTA, etc), actually they offered me to do the teaching training and get me a part time job there, until I can get the TEFL and then get an official job...I was the only western there, all the other ones were fillipinos, and even if they have a lot lot lot lot more experience than I do, they got really interested in me because of my appearance and looks (now I can feel glad to be latin)...the director or some important lady from inmigration bureau or something was there too to explain everything about VISA's and WP, everybody can change their ED or tourist visa to a non B VISA here in BKK as long as you have at least 21 days left of your current VISA...so I was really hopeless about getting a job here without a degree but yesterday my hopes raised...Another nice fillipino lady that was in the seminar told me that in other well-known university here in BKK where she actually work they are hiring western-look-like people to teach english even if they don't have a bachelor and TEFL...so, I think the rules really depend on the university, if they support you or not to get the job and if they think you look good enough to be a teacher...so foreign guys around BKK and the surroundings...don't lose your hope, just try, and if everything fails, bleach ur hair blonde, use some green color eye contact lens, and you will probably get a job somewhere...GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE...and thanks for your posts...

Leon

Hey chuchay, there was around 29 fillipinos, one guy from Kenya, and me from argentina...the 60 hours TEFL was around 18500 bath (545 usd aprox.) and the 120 hours course (a little better) was around 35500 bath (a little more than 1000 usd) with the first course u get a study visa of 3 months, with the second one u get 10+ months...I finally got a job in a primary school, I will get a little training before start teaching conversation, and then do the TEFL while I'm working, and next year go back to my country for some days, finish my thesis and get this ###### bachelor degree, even if it's not essential they recomend me to get it if i can...I think there won't be other seminars this year but I'm not completely sure, if I know about some I will tell u...the TEFL starts on 6 or 7 april if i'm not wrong...GOOD LUCK!!! Maybe we get to be workmates some day :o

Leon

I am a teacher in the upper-south. For years, several teachers don't have a degree but do have a TEFL-Certificate and got a work permit here.

A close friend of mine is from the Netherlands, now 48 years old, only secondary education but with a lot of in-company trainings he became a manager at an international company in the Netherlands. Two years ago he came to Thailand to retire but eventually wanted to work (boredom). He did a 120 hours TEFL course, got a beautiful certificate with a nice Thai translation and applied last academic year for a job at a primary education governement school. He got the job and a work permit. His job will continue for next academic year.

There are too many different stories about degrees, native speakers of English, colour, etc. for having a job a a TEFL teacher. It REALLY depends on the Service Area of the Ministry of Education and there are a couple of hundred of them in Thailand.

Petch01

The whole crap regarding requirements, wishes, demands and other filth isn't even regulated in some kind of law!!!! The only thing there is, is some kind of advise from an Education Council and every provincial Ministry of Education takes from it whatever they think might be usefull.

In Chonburi you won't get a teachers' license without a degree and even non-native English speakers must produce TOEFL/TOEIC/IELTS test results with a certain minimum.

But also the 'new' CRB or criminal record check..........since some months in force now, but according to a guy at the Embassy/Consulate in Vientiane the new rule comes into force from the 1st of May. The Consulate in Hull already requires it.

I think that Thailand is the only country in the world, where a job as a civil servant is never boring: as soon as something is getting to be routine, they change something.