Concerns raised again over Phuket wild monkey populations

webfact

Concerns raised again over Phuket wild monkey populations

1568881304_1-org.jpg

Concerns have been raised over the number of wild Phuket monkeys at one monkey-feeding site in Rassada. Photo: Nature and Wildlife Education Centre, Khao Phra Thaew

PHUKET: Concerns about the rising number of infant monkeys at a popular monkey site in Rassada will be addressed following an inspection visit by Pongchart Chouehorm, Director of the Natural and Wildlife Education Centre at Khao Phra Thaew Non-Hunting Area in Thalang.

Mr Pongchart inspected two sites in Rassada on Monday (Sept 18) that are popular for people to visit local monkeys: one at King Kaew Soi 9, the other at Soi Tha Jeen.

The inspection was carried out to follow up on the installation of signs at the two sites that informed visitors of the dangers of inappropriate interaction with the monkeys, and general information about the what monkeys should and should not be fed, and signs indicating exactly where monkeys are to be fed.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/concerns-raised-again-over-phuket-wild-monkey-populations-72938.php#KR3pPyskACkJsYAG.99

(from the linked article:)

“We will evaluation the effectiveness of monkey population controls in the next three months,” Mr Pngcharts said.
The evaluation to come follows a mass-sterilisation program carried out last year to curtail the rising populations of wild monkeys across Phuket aid fears of monkeys spreading diseases and encroaching into residential areas.

Does that mean last year's programme failed to reduce the amount of monkey nuts effectively?

They are not really wild monkeys are they? They live in close proximity and with some food aid from people, their habits being changed from their truly wild ancestors. This changes their breeding habits and their nature. In all my travels through Asia, from Pakistan through to Eastern Indonesia I have never seen these interactions work out well. 

3 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

They are not really wild monkeys are they? They live in close proximity and with some food aid from people, their habits being changed from their truly wild ancestors. This changes their breeding habits and their nature. In all my travels through Asia, from Pakistan through to Eastern Indonesia I have never seen these interactions work out well. 

seems to work in Lopburi

13 minutes ago, MarineEquine said:

They're a good reason to stay clear of Lopburi. Apart from it being a bit boring. 

Great photo opportunities. Use a Zoom lens. Its never boring when your have ruins and monkeys as well as a camera, plus, that little guesthouse near the train station had some cutie falangs girls when I was there last..

Archived