Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Airalee said:

Hardly

Guess that depends whether ya got a skin in the game or are just a distinterested observer like moi. There is more bile being spewed than a leaky bag of black bear gall bladders in a Fed Ex box to Shanghai

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

My wife refers to her 20 something son as "Uan", fatty. It's not his name but it's the only thing she calls him. It's not an insult, it's a term of affection. Another way that Thai culture differs from farang culture and farangs fail to understand.

I  call my Wife , ugly   with no  bum, its a term of endearment too.

I of course  will always be, very handsome with big tadger.

Just now, Nyezhov said:

Guess that depends whether ya got a skin in the game or are just a distinterested observer like moi. There is more bile being spewed than a leaky bag of black bear gall bladders in a Fed Ex box to Shanghai

This is just ping pong to me.  I’m not easily offended.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Is it impolite?

Doesn't matter I don't like it and refuse to associate with Thais that use it to address me, or white guys that call themselves and other white guys it.

Same here.  Pretty much every Thai I associate with has a masters degree or higher.  Most are MDs.  They wouldn’t give Yinn the time of day...Thai culture and all.

10 hours ago, Airalee said:

Can’t really judge Yinn for her ignorance.

6 hours ago, Airalee said:

Exactly.  Which is why we should just pat Yinn on her head, give her a treat and let her get back to her comic books.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah sure thing. Bless her dear heart.

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

Perhaps we should go easy on her.  It’s like picking on the “challenged” kid.  I can see her now...

2162CF2D-3ACE-43A9-9EC5-66A3384AD533.gif

2 hours ago, Issannative said:

Yinn. Do you think the poor Thai education system has anything to do with the common use of the word?

Funny about the one that get sensitive are the same one who are impolite.

20 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Same here.  Pretty much every Thai I associate with has a masters degree or higher.  Most are MDs.  They wouldn’t give Yinn the time of day...Thai culture and all.

You live in a small 36sqm room right? 

You’re a guest here Asian girl, we only like polite people, remember you said that about guests in Thailand?  You only accept polite people??  Many times you let us know that.  Well we have this place, it is not Thailand and you can get kicked out.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

My moneys on the Persian traders who came here and were members of the tribe "Ferangi". Certainly been around a lot longer than the French. Interesting in Cambodia we're known as "Berang" and in Laos, "Baxi Da" or more accurately "Maxi Da".

Thankyou for sharing this video Danny. You know a lot for a farang, the languages, history, music. So good. Very smart and positive  guy.

It good to help the one new in Thailand understand thai culture. 

1 minute ago, amykat said:

Your a guest here Asian girl, we only like polite people, remember you said that about guests in Thailand?  You only accept polite people??  Many times you let us know that.  Well we have this place, it is not Thailand and you can get kicked out.

So why haven't you been kicked out?

Personally, I think that it's a breath of fresh air to have a Thai person posting on the forum. Adds perspective to the usual nonsense posted on the forum. The most annoying posters are the ones who think that they know more about Thailand than Thais do. You don't, you really don't. Listen and learn.

This is Thai Visa and is primarily about all things Thai. Get used to it or find a forum based in your country.

24 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

So why haven't you been kicked out?

Personally, I think that it's a breath of fresh air to have a Thai person posting on the forum. Adds perspective to the usual nonsense posted on the forum. The most annoying posters are the ones who think that they know more about Thailand than Thais do. You don't, you really don't. Listen and learn.

This is Thai Visa and is primarily about all things Thai. Get used to it or find a forum based in your country.

Really Danny, don’t you have enough Thai people to talk to every day?  Are you not surrounded by them?  Most of us are, and some of us hardly ever can talk to a fellow expat, so this is the purpose of the forum for one thing.  It is not especially to talk to more Thais.  Certainly this Thai seems to be bent on mostly antagonizing people.  Do you see an attitude ever of learning about us?  Would you not expect that ....rather than preaching to us.  We aren’t asking her questions, she is asking us.  She deflects every answer people give her, blames the farang for everything, never answers direct questions people pose to her, etc.  Whatever if you like that, you can get a lot of it here.

1 minute ago, amykat said:

Really Danny, don’t you have enough Thai people to talk to every day?  Are you not surrounded by them?  Most of us are, and some of us hardly ever can talk to a fellow expat, so this is the purpose of the forum for one thing.  It is not especially to talk to more Thais.  Certainly this Thai seems to be bent on mostly antagonizing people.  Do you see an attitude ever of learning about us?  Would you not expect that ....rather than preaching to us.  We aren’t asking her questions, she is asking us.  She deflects every answer people give her, blames the farang for everything, never answers direct questions people pose to her, etc.  Whatever if you like that, you can get a lot of it here.

I thought that you had left Thailand? I don't see Yinn as antagonising people, if you do I suggest that you look at yourself. She has asked several direct questions but you don't want to answer her you just want to preach to people.

13 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I thought that you had left Thailand? I don't see Yinn as antagonising people, if you do I suggest that you look at yourself. She has asked several direct questions but you don't want to answer her you just want to preach to people.

I have asked her several direct questions in different threads, she never answered any of them.  I have explained things to her, such as, that the fee for a visa to Western countries is for processing the paperwork, it is not an entrance fee like for going to Disneyland, yet she quotes it like she is a poor victim every time, she got scammed by the West and also we should have pro-rated the fee down to three weeks, from 3 months, because she only wanted to go for 3 weeks.

Yet TM30 is nothing to her and easy to do and she felt qualified to tell us all many things about it.  She does not even have a foreign husband who she does these things with, so she is not living this expat life at all, as far as she admits, but she tells us how it is??

I can tell you don’t see it as Yinn antagonizing people, we disagree, many people on here have expressed this feeling not only me.  The fact that I recently left Thailand has nothing to do with anything, I lived there for 14 years, I have a Thai daughter, and for all you know I could move back tomorrow so don’t try that with me!!!  Also don’t try the look at myself BS, maybe I can identify manipulation better than you can???  She got a whole long list of men to admit cheating on their wives ...just for the hell of it, what has she admitted here??  Who knows her??  

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

I think good good idea to watch the video BEFORE post. 

Because if not, nobody understand, just want to argue. The video say it not racism, I say it not racism, and the posters who can speak thai also say it is not racism.

if you want to imagine yourself is racism, up to you. Look like you look for problem. What can I do?

Ps I just copy that video from another poster Danny Carlton today. Nobody have problem with him post that.

But when Yinn post the same one. Is ......

You know how is TVF.  Now look like you trolling for reaction.  You get reaction, and you acting suprised.  5555555. 

If you want talk farang pasa Thai, go make post in Thai Language Forum. 

9 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I appreciate your good intentions and that you are somewhat new to TVF, and might feel you are bridging gaps and facilitating understanding.  

However, this topic has been done so many times and it always goes the same way. 

Taking the "Me Teacher You Student" attitude is misplaced.  Like teaching the alphabet to students at University.  And then trying to herd cats.

Ah but this thread is started by a Thai person not by a farang with nothing better to do than take offense

11 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Farang is not a word for foreigner only 'white' so how can that not be racist?   they don't call blacks 'farang'

My wife does. Calls them black farang. Which is kind of ironic when we are in Australia and she sees an aboriginal. Then I tell her that she is the farang.

10 hours ago, The Cobra said:

I remember an occasion in a supermarket and a young Thai child (around 5 yrs) turned the corner of the aisle, saw me, started at me feet and gradually lifted his head to look up my body and finally to my face, and then, burst in to tears and ran literally screaming "farang"  as he ran back toward his mother.

You have to wonder what the hell has that child been told ??? Children dont make or draw conclusions like that, they have been taught or told something to give that type of reaction.

I have seen it in the village, kids pointing and shouting as though to warn others the "farang" is here !

What are these kids learning and being about us ? it sure dosent seem anything positive judging by the reaction.

The wife's oldest granddaughter (8) used to terrify her younger sister (3) by telling her that if she was bad the farang would get her. Same idea as the boogeyman in the west. The young one would not come anywhere near me.  Terrified in Lotus if she saw a farang.

All good now though.

10 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

Mam, Farng / Farangi is a Sanskirti words and being used in Thai like so many other words of old Sanskirti.

Any Alien to the land is a Farang in Sanskirti whereas in Thailand and even in India now this term is commenly used for a white or Westerner due to the British Empire influence of the past in the Sanskirt speaking and writing territories.

After all Thai is written in Sanskirt form like so many other languages.

It is Sanskrit...….what other languages are written like that? Indian,Cambodian, Laos possibly but not too many others.

10 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

Mam, Farng / Farangi is a Sanskirti words and being used in Thai like so many other words of old Sanskirti.

Any Alien to the land is a Farang in Sanskirti whereas in Thailand and even in India now this term is commenly used for a white or Westerner due to the British Empire influence of the past in the Sanskirt speaking and writing territories.

After all Thai is written in Sanskirt form like so many other languages.

Nonsense, it's not Sanskrit at all. Here's a discussion with many plausible explanations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AFarang#pfirangi_is_not_Sanskrit

6 hours ago, villagefarang said:

It is their country and their language, to do with as they wish.  As I said earlier, they can't be expected to follow some irrelevant rules they have never heard of, from a country they have never been to.  I have lived here longer than most of you and I have never been offended by the word farang and I use it myself when it makes sense to do so in normal conversation.  If you are offended, then in my opinion, you are just looking for an excuse to be offended.  Fortunately for you, this term is not going away anytime soon, so you can continue to be offended for many years to come.????

Not sure of you being here longer than anyone else is relevant. Perhaps you are stuck in a time bubble and have no knowledge of how the world has progressed since your arrival in Thailand. Either way I feel sorry for you.

4 hours ago, ylmiri said:

The poor Thais don't have an alternative to Farang that is the problem. Well, what do you “Farang" wants to be called ? You got to tell the Thais what you wish to be called instead of Farang.

In Japan about 25 years ago they used to call brothel "Toroko" which also means Turkey. When the Turkish government knew about it they requested the Japanese to change the word. So they changed it to "Soap-land" -

How about calling farang by their real names? Not that hard is it? All of the Thai people that I know call me by my first name.

14 hours ago, cmsally said:

On a technical level it is a kind of collective noun for white westerners. But then so is women and I would object to being addressed as "you, woman". It is simply not polite.

Khun ying....this is a thing and it's polite. It's a difference in language and culture. Another instance we might say please may I or can I have...Thai say want - ow. It's more concise but abrupt, forward, a but rude.

The language is old and is not dynamic. Like many such languages new terms are usually English but grammar never changes.

Farang can be rude just depends on the context. I'd say it usually is from our cultural perspective. Of course the Thai don't care.

3 hours ago, amykat said:

You’re a guest here Asian girl, we only like polite people, remember you said that about guests in Thailand?  You only accept polite people??  Many times you let us know that.  Well we have this place, it is not Thailand and you can get kicked out.

Been hitting the bottle? 

What are you rambling about?

We have this place?

What place?

Not Thailand?

She's a guest?

Your post makes no sense at all.

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Been hitting the bottle? 

What are you rambling about?

We have this place?

What place?

Not Thailand?

She's a guest?

Your post makes no sense at all.

No, I don’t often drink ...sorry, this Thaivisa.  She is a guest here.  She was very rude to someone moments before, stalked them for personal information to try to insult them.  He was nice about it.  She did that for no apparent reason other than insecurity.  I am bothered to some extent by her constant reminders in the TM30 thread and elsewhere, how we are accepted here only if we are polite, which she stated many times.  Of course based on her standards.  

Archived