Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The term farang is impolite and indeed a lazy, ignorant racist term, because it lumps together people of different nationalities and cultures merely on the basis of their skin colour. The many disparate groups covered by the term farang have little in common other than their skin colour. In the Thai language there is another more polite way of referencing people from different lands. My educated Thai friends used the English term foreigner not farang. I understand some Thais along with other Asians such as Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and other Asians dont grasp the subtle nuance of language. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Good intentions? Are you sure?

Probably.  Along with a few others, at first, I thought she might be a farang fronting as a Thai - seen that a few times.  I don't think so now, and the bossy/bitchy attitude might be, to some degree, ESL and loss of tone/meaning in text.  And the attitude of the receiver.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

MY THRED, my rule.

please,watch the op video BEFORE post comment. This thred not for arguement. Just for learn.

Thankyou. 

I agree with you that "farang" is not a bad word, i also agree with you that most Thais are polite and well mannered, but THIS post is not quite well mannered.

There are already moderators to make us respect the rules, as far as i know, you cannot impose any rule here.

2 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Really, when you meet someone you say "Hey black person", "Hey Hispanic dude". That would be along the same lines as a Thai person addressing a "white person" as Farang, surely?

Now you're just being ridiculous.  Do Thais actually talk to you that way?  "Hey farang".....?  They've never done it to me. 

6 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The term farang is impolite and indeed a lazy, ignorant racist term, because it lumps together people of different nationalities and cultures merely on the basis of their skin colour. The many disparate groups covered by the term farang have little in common other than their skin colour. In the Thai language there is another more polite way of referencing people from different lands. My educated Thai friends used the English term foreigner not farang. I understand some Thais along with other Asians such as Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and other Asians dont grasp the subtle nuance of language. 

Boy, what a bunch of snowflakes on this forum.  Farang is a Thai word, not an English word.  The Thais say it's not offensive, so it's not.  It'd be like if a Chinese guy goes to the USA and is offended by the use of the word Asian.  I would tell him that it's not offensive.  If he still insists, I'll tell him to go pack sand. 

Just now, Berkshire said:

Now you're just being ridiculous.  Do Thais actually talk to you that way?  "Hey farang".....?  They've never done it to me. 

You're right, I was stretching a point.

I certainly often hear myself being refered to as farang, if not being actualy addressed as such. So let me rephrase, with a non ridiculous comparison. Do you refer to people as "that black bloke" or "that Hispanic woman" within earshot of them?

1 minute ago, Blue Muton said:

You're right, I was stretching a point.

I certainly often hear myself being refered to as farang, if not being actualy addressed as such. So let me rephrase, with a non ridiculous comparison. Do you refer to people as "that black bloke" or "that Hispanic woman" within earshot of them?

Depends on the occasion.  If a group of colleagues were standing around talking at a distance and someone were to ask me who Jane was, I'd say that lady over there in the black top.  If they mistaken her for a Thai lady in a black top, I'd say "No, the farang lady."  Something like that.  Just a descriptive word, that's all.   

Boy, what a bunch of snowflakes on this forum.  Farang is a Thai word, not an English word.  The Thais say it's not offensive, so it's not.  It'd be like if a Chinese guy goes to the USA and is offended by the use of the word Asian.  I would tell him that it's not offensive.  If he still insists, I'll tell him to go pack sand. 
Not the same thing at all.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
11 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Not the same thing at all.

No JT, it's EXACTLY the same. 

Farang actually means French person, it comes from the word Francais.

Thai people can't differentiate between English, French and German just like Europeans can't differentiate between Korean, Japanese, Thai and Chinese.

Actually there are several ethnic groups in Thailand. Click below.

http://eastasiaorigin.blogspot.com/2017/07/main-ethnicities-in-thailand.html

Farang actually means French person, it comes from the word Francais.

Thai people can't differentiate between English, French and German just like Europeans can't differentiate between Korean, Japanese, Thai and Chinese.

Actually there are several ethnic groups in Thailand. Click below.

http://eastasiaorigin.blogspot.com/2017/07/main-ethnicities-in-thailand.html
Nope. It does not mean French person. That is only one theory of its origin story. Nothing to do with current meaning and usage.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I just am amazed at you dudes freaking out because in a foreign country, where you are a guest, the local folks call you foreigner?

Who's freaking out? Foreigner in Thai is "ชาวต่างชาติ" or sometimes "คนต่างประเทศ", which is what educated Thais often say. Some even ask you which country you're from. If you came to a European country and everyone kept saying "foreigner" to you in their equivalent way, how would you feel?

5 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

Who's freaking out? Foreigner in Thai is "ชาวต่างชาติ" or sometimes "คนต่างประเทศ", which is what educated Thais often say. Some even ask you which country you're from. If you came to a European country and everyone kept saying "foreigner" to you in their equivalent way, how would you feel?

Amused

49 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Another stupid post.......

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. It does not mean French person. That is only one theory of its origin story. Nothing to do with current meaning and usage.

it goes ways back.....

- long before the theory of the 1833 beginning

- long before France was even called France

- there's the one about term Farang being around since the time of The Crusades... coming from the Frank  

the problem though, that I see, is not the word itself; but the context in which is used...

the words used with it,

and that it's spoken AT us/through us, as if we are jointly invisible and deaf!  

and most often, to the back of our heads...

Yinn. I think by this  stage of the  topic debate you can possibly see that to Thai the word itself is  not offensive  but there are situations when it offends people because the reference is race/colour based rather than as an individual person regardless.

" Does the  farang eat rice? "  rather than "does  your  partner/ associate/ boyfriend/girlfriend/ foreigner eat rice? "

In most places in the world it would be considered wrong in many ways to refer to people that way.

I know that Thai make such distinction in reference to many races which probably escapes the ear of most farang but probably causes some offense to them also.

ชาวต่างเมือง as the habitual reference would be less likely to offend anyone.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

MY THRED, my rule.

please,watch the op video BEFORE post comment. This thred not for arguement. Just for learn.

Thankyou. 

No sorry, it is not your thread and your rules!

This is a discussion forum and as such everyone is entitled to their angle, point of view and contribution. To appoint yourself as the only person that knows the "answer" is simply presumptuous and childish. Please show some manners and humility.

Farang doesn't bother me as much as a Thai female saying Krup!  This is definitely impolite and a slur...using the feminine term to address a farang...she would almost never address a Thai male as Krup...a backhand would likely follow...the correct polite term is Ka...????

Leave the girl alone guys, poor old @Yinn has a lot of growing up and learning to do. My in-laws all refer to me as Farang, but only when they're talking about me, didn't realise they were calling me <deleted>ing french, we'll be having words methinks. Actually, we should be calling the Thais Farang as frog is eaten in the local eateries around my missus' home, yep, they have more in common with the french than me and my like. Why would anyone want to eat a <deleted>ing frog, filthy <deleted>'s.

7 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Farang doesn't bother me as much as a Thai female saying Krup!  This is definitely impolite and a slur...using the feminine term to address a farang...she would almost never address a Thai male as Krup...a backhand would likely follow...the correct polite term is Ka...????

she would have been a Tom!  

the Ka/Khrap is speaker-centric i.e. the speaker's gender.

The gender (or whatever) of her audience plays no part...

Archived