Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thai people call us " farang", it seems they don't meaning nothing bad with calling us a fruit name.

Durian is a fruit that most of the Thai like very much.

i suppose  we can call the Thai, " durian ", a fruit name as well.

“Farang”! points to the fact it is from foreign origin wether it is people, fruit or chewing gum.(mahk falang).

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Thai people call us " farang", it seems they don't meaning nothing bad with calling us a fruit name.

but 'farang' isn't always used alone  

best (worst) example is when you are subjected to

'farang kii nok'           

- a typical example of what is said around you, when they assume mr falang knows no thai... 

... so, I called mrs out about it, right in the middle of her loud complaining with SIL 

SIL tries to jump to her defence...

wide eyed shaking head "No No No, your wife she say 'eat chicken' 

image.jpeg.dc09458800c8fe00f8355ced635f43f3.jpeg 

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

When I am called a farang, I remind them that I have a name. It shuts them up immediately. Sorry, it is racist.

4 hours ago, grollies said:

Dummy well and truly spat.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No lady, it don't work that way (ironic intentionally bad grammar). You're posting on a discussion forum. The headline of your OP is extremely ARROGANT as is the above post. Just because you're (allegedly) Thai and post a video by some random Thai youtube dude doesn't prove anything about the way the farang word is actually used in modern Thailand. I can post videos saying you can stop a hurricane with nukes. Wouldn't prove that you can. Of course you're free to continue to stir up the sheit here as you are clearly enjoying but you don't get to order people to accept everything you say and order as truth. 

Got it now, lady?

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Probably.  Along with a few others, at first, I thought she might be a farang fronting as a Thai - seen that a few times.  I don't think so now, and the bossy/bitchy attitude might be, to some degree, ESL and loss of tone/meaning in text.  And the attitude of the receiver.

2 hours ago, amykat said:

Is this the General Prayuth School of Yinn??

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Yinn,  I think you seriously need to calm down and give it a rest.

don't worry ….  mai pen rai ….  we  love you  

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah sure thing. Bless her dear heart.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Perhaps we should go easy on her.  It’s like picking on the “challenged” kid.  I can see her now...

2162CF2D-3ACE-43A9-9EC5-66A3384AD533.gif

59 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Leave the girl alone guys, poor old @Yinn has a lot of growing up and learning to do. My in-laws all refer to me as Farang, but only when they're talking about me, didn't realise they were calling me <deleted>ing french, we'll be having words methinks. Actually, we should be calling the Thais Farang as frog is eaten in the local eateries around my missus' home, yep, they have more in common with the french than me and my like. Why would anyone want to eat a <deleted>ing frog, filthy <deleted>'s.

I think good good idea to watch the video BEFORE post. 

Because if not, nobody understand, just want to argue. The video say it not racism, I say it not racism, and the posters who can speak thai also say it is not racism.

if you want to imagine yourself is racism, up to you. Look like you look for problem. What can I do?

Ps I just copy that video from another poster Danny Carlton today. Nobody have problem with him post that.

But when Yinn post the same one. Is ......

Yinn, I watched the video.  It had ZERO information that was new to me.  I think that will be the same for every poster here today.  Many of us have been here for as long as you have been alive or at least half your life??  Imagine that!!!  We are double or triple your age on average.  We have lived in several other countries.  Many of us have advanced educations, have owned businesses, and have quite varied experiences ....we are telling you something and you have your ears SHUT.  Why?  Oh, because we are farangs ...and in that word is usually implied stupid.  That most of us have lived.

8 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

They are not calling anyone  fruit of any kind., as explained (also to me) the first foreign people they came in contact were the French, I guess because of their nearby colonies,The were described as "farangsaise" .Thai people probably not being capable to easily pronounce "Farangsaise" shorten the word to one they were familiar with "Farang" and not being able to distinguish between French. English. etc they called all of them "Farang"

No fruit involved in the description, though I have met some farangs that "fruit" would not be a too far from the mark term when describing them.:tongue:

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

if you want to imagine yourself is racism, up to you. Look like you look for problem. What can I do?

Correct, we all interpret things.

Farangs interpret Thai situations in their own way,

Thais interpret what Farangs say and do, in their proper way.

But we all have to know that everything can be misinterpreted. 

5 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Because if not, nobody understand, just want to argue. The video say it not racism, I say it not racism, and the posters who can speak thai also say it is not racism.

There is something that you don't get, and I don't see how any Thai could get it, is that in many of the countries we are coming from the media are not allowed to mention the ethnic origin of the perpetrator when they report on a crime. Equally, in my job at the UN, when I was short listing candidates for jobs I couldn't see their names as it would be an indication of their ethnic background. So as far as I am concerned calling anyone a "Foreigner" is offensive, and totally unnecessary anyway.

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

were described as "farangsaise" .Thai people probably not being capable to easily pronounce "Farangsaise" shorten the word to one they were familiar with "Farang" and not being able to distinguish between French. English. etc they called all of them "Farang"

This is one interpretation, maybe, but not necessarily the only correct one. 

It is their country and their language, to do with as they wish.  As I said earlier, they can't be expected to follow some irrelevant rules they have never heard of, from a country they have never been to.  I have lived here longer than most of you and I have never been offended by the word farang and I use it myself when it makes sense to do so in normal conversation.  If you are offended, then in my opinion, you are just looking for an excuse to be offended.  Fortunately for you, this term is not going away anytime soon, so you can continue to be offended for many years to come.????

For me it's not the offence I feel I don't fell it much normally it just say sabbarot back and it confuses the hell out of em. It's the perceived racism from others that's the problem, you just can't ignore it, it's just like saying ppl in Ireland think it's OK to call all Chinese slat eyes. It's not OK.

36 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I think good good idea to watch the video BEFORE post. 

Ps I just copy that video from another poster Danny Carlton today. Nobody have problem with him post that.

But when Yinn post the same one. Is ......

I watched the video.  I didn’t say it was racist.  It’s just a word that is more commonly used amongst the lower class Thais with substandard educations.

offensive words begin with e (female) and i (male) followed by: -

- heb mha

- son teen

- chat mha

- narok

- ha

- ture

- garee (women only)

practise it when conversing with thai people if they deserve it, never mind the 'farang' slur, unless you're a leftie liberal

it may have been quite simple really... 

so the visitors back 800 years ago, not having thai language, would have been pointing at themselves... 

"We Frank, we Frank" 

You recall 'the gods must be crazy'?

much like how what the fellas in the movie Cessna, were loudly coming out with their unhappy ramble;

- ramble that to the tribes; the outcome was they deduced these white gods were from the fugawi tribe! 

39 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

There is something that you don't get, and I don't see how any Thai could get it, is that in many of the countries we are coming from the media are not allowed to mention the ethnic origin of the perpetrator when they report on a crime. Equally, in my job at the UN, when I was short listing candidates for jobs I couldn't see their names as it would be an indication of their ethnic background. So as far as I am concerned calling anyone a "Foreigner" is offensive, and totally unnecessary anyway.

I am a foreigner in Thailand. I have no objection  to  being  considered such especially outside of  the Thai  community  I live in . It is an accurate and  non  race  based  description.

4 hours ago, tifino said:

it goes ways back.....

- long before the theory of the 1833 beginning

- long before France was even called France

- there's the one about term Farang being around since the time of The Crusades... coming from the Frank  

the problem though, that I see, is not the word itself; but the context in which is used...

the words used with it,

and that it's spoken AT us/through us, as if we are jointly invisible and deaf!  

and most often, to the back of our heads...

My moneys on the Persian traders who came here and were members of the tribe "Ferangi". Certainly been around a lot longer than the French. Interesting in Cambodia we're known as "Berang" and in Laos, "Baxi Da" or more accurately "Maxi Da".

Archived