Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It is by definition at least a racial word as it refers to white people.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If I call you Caucasian are you sad?

Thai are not racism. We not bomb Vietnam family, Laos family, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and soon Iran. That is racism.

I am bored to listen to farang say that. Because we have cute word for Caucasian people.

If we racism, why you live here (pattaya)?

22 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

OK great, hey Yinn:

You know the super yummy green seafood sauce used for say Grilled Goong or Oysters or whatever? Its in all the seafood joints? Like a green chili looking sauce? Whats that called and can you buy it in bottles or does some granny have to make it, in which case I cant, because I am farang.

Nice on topic technique, nah?

Is just called Naam Jim. But have many type “ Naam Jim.” So maybe “ Naam Jim Seafood”

You can buy at supermarket. Some 7/11.

Farang can make youself.

This one English for farang can understand...

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Thai are not racism. We not bomb Vietnam family, Laos family, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and soon Iran. That is racism.

Now now Yinn, you were doing fine until that one. Uncle Sam is an equal opportunity bomber, troublemakers come in all colours. 

That being said, thanks for the video but I am farang and cant use a mortar and pestle. American Farang (is there a different word for us, as you would differentiate higher graade things from ordinary ones?) grill large juicy steaks and pour their sauces out of a jar. 

How is this brand: "Healthy Boy". The label is in English so a farang can read it.

Anybody insulted yet?

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

If I call you Caucasian are you sad?

I am bored to listen to farang say that. Because we have cute word for Caucasian people.

If we racism, why you live here (pattaya)?

Racism is found in all cultures. By asserting that there is no racism among Thai people, you lost any tiny bit of credibility that you may have still had. In my experience, Asian nations including Thailand have NOTHING to brag about in the "we're not racist" department.

Don't bother me with your low grade baiting comments about why I live where I live.

I'm starting to strongly suspect that you aren't even Thai. 

Yes I totally agree that there are parallels between Oriental and Farang. Speaking only from the U.S. perspective, Oriental developed to be seen as a somewhat derogatory term in response to the way the actual Asian people living there felt about it. There were complaints and over time the complaints were HEARD and the language usage CHANGED. It is generally not used anymore and when it is it's mostly by a clueless elderly person. 

Yinn on the other hand, if she is indeed Thai doesn't give one fig that the people she is calling Farangs often are perceiving it as derogatory. That's a very arrogant POV.

However to clarify -- personally I really don't care. As I said before I've learned to FILTER out the negative stuff here. But I do think the more POLITE and EDUCATED Thai people are smart enough to have picked up that the Farang word really is NOT POLITE, and either don't use it, or don't use it in front of the people that they are calling that. 

Just now, Yinn said:

Now white knight? If someone agree when I say true thing they are the White Knight?

Just now, Yinn said:

not forget the TM30 na.

Hello, Yinn!

The term "white knighting", or in plain English, coming to someone's rescue, is not common term in English, especially for non native English speaker. It is little bit odd thst you make just the right amount of grammar errors, yet you are familiar with this obscure term. It is not often used in everyday conversation.

I, too am non native English speaker, but did I did learn  English fairly quickly after several years in North America. But this expression much later, probably because this term has roots in brorhers Grimm fairy tale.  So it's not just matter of being fluent in English, you must be knowledgeable in Western literature and culture. You mentioned in another post that you never been in a relationship with a Westerner, kudos for learning it on your own! It is unusual.

Couple of times you ended sentence with "na", that is unusual in writing,   but very common when spoken.  In  writing it almost feels like you are trying to pass for a Thai, mimicking how Thais speak English, almost trying bit too hard ????

But never mind, I wish my Thai was half as good as your English, especially your written English.

Yinn, do you sometimes feel that when a Thai refers to white Westerner as "farang", it is to signify white man's otherness? As in not on of us. It would be very easy, and logical to simply say "my guy", "my friend", or in case of stranger "that guy". For some reason Thais always say "farang". Almost as if to underline the "us and them" divide,  almost as if foreigners are different spicies. 

3 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Hello, Yinn!

The term "white knighting", or in plain English, coming to someone's rescue, is not common term in English, especially for non native English speaker. It is little bit odd thst you make just the right amount of grammar errors, yet you are familiar with this obscure term. It is not often used in everyday conversation.

I use this dic for play thaivisa. 

Pit very good. Have everything (most)

https://dict.longdo.com/mobile/?search=white knight  

maybe your language have that also

And i like....White Knight

But never mind, I wish my Thai was half as good as your English, especially your written English.

Thankyou.

But not good yet. And difficult for listening. (To quickly)

Talk and write ok. Grammar is problem.

Yinn, do you sometimes feel that when a Thai refers to white Westerner as "farang", it is to signify white man's otherness? As in not on of us. It would be very easy, and logical to simply say "my guy", "my friend", or in case of stranger "that guy". For some reason Thais always say "farang". Almost as if to underline the "us and them" divide,  almost as if foreigners are different spicies. 

I not understand your question. 

Please trust me. It not racism. Just word. 

Same “Asian” “Arab”. 

Frech, English, Aussie, etc look the same. So how we know.

Have other word if want to be impolite/racism. 

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Now now Yinn, you were doing fine until that one. Uncle Sam is an equal opportunity bomber, troublemakers come in all colours. 

Sorry. Bored with this sensitive people. 

But

I never see Uncle bomb the other farang. Only Asian, Black and Arab?

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

That being said, thanks for the video but I am farang and cant use a mortar and pestle. American Farang (is there a different word for us, as you would differentiate higher graade things from ordinary ones?) grill large juicy steaks and pour their sauces out of a jar. 

3 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Hahaa, that's how I read our young Thai friend's posts, just enough grammar errors, but making sure verbs in correct tense.

Yinn said: "I did not know you the girl, sorry. 

Welcome sister!"

When was the last time you heard Thai say "I did not know"? Or just the verb "did", in correct tense. Thai English would be "I not know".

“I did not know” is correct way. 

21 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sorry. Bored with this sensitive people. 

But

I never see Uncle bomb the other farang. Only Asian, Black and Arab?

Surely you know about the Second World War and the Cold War.

On the whole I would say "farangs" are less "sensitive" than Thais. Sensitivity can also be compounded by the language barrier. You may have offended people without realising it, the same can happen to anybody when not conversing in their native language.

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thais love wordplay. 

Farang is a loaded term and is often used in a very rude way. 

I suggest farang call locals "Orientals". And do not use the polite word "Khon". 

Thai word for "Oriental" is:

Screenshot_20190922-031040_Chrome.jpg.d4086ec5b1947a1644493da1cb872eec.jpg

I have never heard that?

Burapha has always meant East as far as I know in Thai

In my opinion, Thais use the word in a similar way that n*gger' was used. In the provinces it is still common to hear Thais say to their children 'mong doo falang' or 'look at the white n*gger'.

Also hate 'luk krung'. The enlightened world stored calling people 'half breeds' many years ago.

I think folks need to look inside themselves a bit.

I think a lot of folks have a chip on their shoulders due to their own self hatred. Thats how petty tyrants are born.

If you walk around looking for offensive behavior (in your mind), treat everyone like they hate you, think of nothing more than how someone is trying to rip you off,  view the world as a hate ridden swamp where folks are just going to be mean to you, then by all means an ambivilent word is going to offend you. Hell, you get folks who are offended by pronouns in this world.

The bottom line is, deep down inside, you hate me because I am white, rich, handsome and American, right? Thats cool, as long as you treat me right, Ill never know. And if I find out, rest assured, that deep down inside I know that being rich, white, handsome and American makes me far more fortunate than you and thats why you hate me. Because thats what hatred of another person is all about, the haters inner fears or feelings of insecurity.

So call me farang all you want with a smile and a hug. Like the cackling Auntie last night giving me some extra skin in my Khao Moo...Skin good you, big falang, OK, OK?

1 minute ago, mngmn said:

In my opinion, Thais use the word in a similar way that n*gger' was used. In the provinces it is still common to hear Thais say to their children 'mong doo falang' or 'look at the white n*gger'.

Also hate 'luk krung'. The enlightened world stored calling people 'half breeds' many years ago.

Everything you say is accurate but you are looking at it from a farang POV. Thais see the use of these words totally differently to the way we do. It's the intention behind the words that is important. They may offend our farang sensibilities but, to a Thai, there is no intention to offend or appear racist.

It's all about accepting Thais for what they are, in their own country, not with them complying with our Western concepts.

Just now, Nyezhov said:

I think folks need to look inside themselves a bit.

I think a lot of folks have a chip on their shoulders due to their own self hatred. Thats how petty tyrants are born.

If you walk around looking for offensive behavior (in your mind), treat everyone like they hate you, think of nothing more than how someone is trying to rip you off,  view the world as a hate ridden swamp where folks are just going to be mean to you, then by all means an ambivilent word is going to offend you. Hell, you get folks who are offended by pronouns in this world.

The bottom line is, deep down inside, you hate me because I am white, rich, handsome and American, right? Thats cool, as long as you treat me right, Ill never know. And if I find out, rest assured, that deep down inside I know that being rich, white, handsome and American makes me far more fortunate than you and thats why you hate me. Because thats what hatred of another person is all about, the haters inner fears or feelings of insecurity.

So call me farang all you want with a smile and a hug. Like the cackling Auntie last night giving me some extra skin in my Khao Moo...Skin good you, big falang, OK, OK?

I agree I don't care but this thread is about it being 'not impolite' which is nonsense. Of course it's racist AND impolite but I don't care. Calling me 'pompui' is impolite AND rude but I don't care about that too as Thais are naturally impolite and rude it's a lack of class and education but we chose to live here so suck it up and enjoy  ???? 

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I agree I don't care but this thread is about it being 'not impolite' which is nonsense. Of course it's racist AND impolite but I don't care. Calling me 'pompui' is impolite AND rude but I don't care about that too as Thais are naturally impolite and rude it's a lack of class and education but we chose to live here so suck it up and enjoy  ???? 

Calling you pumpui (a Thai is more likely to use the word uan) is impolite and rude to you. If a Thai calls a Thai friend uan, then no offence will be taken, it's friendly and affectionate. Try seeing it from a Thai's POV and take it as a compliment.

21 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Everything you say is accurate but you are looking at it from a farang POV. Thais see the use of these words totally differently to the way we do. It's the intention behind the words that is important. They may offend our farang sensibilities but, to a Thai, there is no intention to offend or appear racist.

It's all about accepting Thais for what they are, in their own country, not with them complying with our Western concepts.

Or just accepting that they are ignorant in many ways?

Works for me.

8760DA41-762F-482B-9543-8E1EA31F45FF.jpeg

You certainly do have your idiosyncratic pet peeves.

Yes, it is how the word is used and the tone of it. Honestly it does bug me and should never be used in the presence of the foreigner. Only under very few circumstances I don't mind, but then again very very few..

As cmsally stated about kaeg and jvs about Asian, it doesn't feel good. 

Perhaps think of it like this: If I was with my American friend in say the USA, and said out loud as you walk by, "Look, there's another Asian" in an odd tone of voice and then started laughing, how would you feel? Ofcourse we Americans have harder terms we could use, but nowadays you can almost go to jail for them as used derogatory. 

So I would almost go out on a limb to say if you used the word Farang in the USA and I caught it, I could call the police on you for racism. I know it is stretching it, but it is that close!

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Given the age and the Thai education system it's unlikely to have studied or even mentioned it.

My wife had no knowledge of the Holocaust ! but literally cried when I explained.

She probably has no idea of the 'killing fields' either, and that happened next door.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Given the age and the Thai education system it's unlikely to have studied or even mentioned it.

My wife had no knowledge of the Holocaust ! but literally cried when I explained.

It's true that Thais aren't generally aware of the details of WW2, probably due to the fact that they fought alongside the Japanese and that fact has to be erased from Thai history. However, they are much more aware of the atrocities committed by the US in nearby countries such as Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos.

Archived