Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

43 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I use it myself when it makes sense to do so in normal conversation.

I agree, pretty silly that some here try to make an issue about use of Farang.  Of course those are the posters that usually object to many things here in Thailand.   

Sometimes after I give a shop my phone #  I say " my name is Farang"     Almost always gets a chuckle.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No lady, it don't work that way (ironic intentionally bad grammar). You're posting on a discussion forum. The headline of your OP is extremely ARROGANT as is the above post. Just because you're (allegedly) Thai and post a video by some random Thai youtube dude doesn't prove anything about the way the farang word is actually used in modern Thailand. I can post videos saying you can stop a hurricane with nukes. Wouldn't prove that you can. Of course you're free to continue to stir up the sheit here as you are clearly enjoying but you don't get to order people to accept everything you say and order as truth. 

Got it now, lady?

So it doesn't work that way on your restaurant thread? I could quote a hunred posts by you that intimate that it's your thread, your rules. Hypocrite or what?

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

So it doesn't work that way on your restaurant thread? I could quote a hunred posts by you that intimate that it's your thread, your rules. Hypocrite or what?

You are seriously trying to hijack this thread with a false equivalency personal attack flame on me about another thread? If you have a beef about another thread, POST ON THAT THREAD. 

6 hours ago, Momofarang said:

@Yinn just imagine one second you are in a group of people having fun, and everyone refers to you as the "fat girl" , "ugly girl", whatever, instead of using your name?

My wife refers to her 20 something son as "Uan", fatty. It's not his name but it's the only thing she calls him. It's not an insult, it's a term of affection. Another way that Thai culture differs from farang culture and farangs fail to understand.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

This is one interpretation, maybe, but not necessarily the only correct one. 

Sure, but a plausible one. Certainly more plausible than that they took a look at westerners and noticed a distinct resemblance to Guava LOL

From the Urban dictionary:

Thai word for white people or Westerners, generically referring to non-asians. Generally used without derogatory connotation, derived from the Thai word "farangsayt" for French.

Also Thai word for guava.

I really don’t care about the use of farang, of course I’m white, so it is good to be white, right?  If I was Indian or African, and not at the top of the chain I guess we would be more offended, obviously.  That is where this argument from Thais sort of falls apart.

However, I think where more people become offended and less people are talking about it, is when your better friends and family ...if you want to call them that ...call you farang when talking about you.  The farang wants to get a new roof made, the farang wants to go shopping, the farang can’t understand electricity, sit in a group of Thais and you are only the farang.  Never your name.  Never the American even.  They can’t even bother to be that precise.  You know your wife does that when talking to others about you ...many of you.

How many of us just call our dogs, DOG?  We know their names, we know their breeds, if they have one.  We say that poodle, the white poodle over there, if you don’t its name.  You know your friend’s dog’s names I bet??  You don’t for 15 years just call all the dogs you see over and over again, DOG.  Right? of course not, they have personalities you recognize ...even the damn market dogs get some kind name in your head I bet.  But not us, just farang for how many of us that live here.  That is my only complaint and I just understand it to be some kind of shortcoming that many Thai people have, not all.  But I don’t care about it too much because I don’t care about hardly any Thai people anymore.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You are seriously trying to hijack this thread with a false equivalency personal attack flame on me about another thread? If you have a beef about another thread, POST ON THAT THREAD. 

You admonished Yinn for setting down rules in this thread. I was pointing out your hypocracy in that you do the same in "your" thread. Not a false equivalency at all.

"Personal attack flame"? More hypocracy. Your post to Yinn was exactly that.

"No lady, it don't work that way (ironic intentionally bad grammar). You're posting on a discussion forum. The headline of your OP is extremely ARROGANT as is the above post. Just because you're (allegedly) Thai"

That's not flaming? How about this:

"Of course you're free to continue to stir up the sheit here as you are clearly enjoying but you don't get to order people to accept everything you say and order as truth. 

Got it now, lady?"

Extremely agressive flaming. You've got a nerve accusing me of flaming.

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You admonished Yinn for setting down rules in this thread. I was pointing out your hypocracy in that you do the same in "your" thread. Not a false equivalency at all.

"No lady, it don't work that way (ironic intentionally bad grammar). You're posting on a discussion forum. The headline of your OP is extremely ARROGANT as is the above post. Just because you're (allegedly) Thai"

"Of course you're free to continue to stir up the sheit here as you are clearly enjoying but you don't get to order people to accept everything you say and order as truth. 

Got it now, lady?"

the origins of this subsequent tennis match was supposedly already settled at Post#176 

30 minutes ago, amykat said:

However, I think where more people become offended and less people are talking about it, is when your better friends and family ...if you want to call them that ...call you farang when talking about you.  The farang wants to get a new roof made, the farang wants to go shopping, the farang can’t understand electricity, sit in a group of Thais and you are only the farang.  Never your name.  Never the American even.  They can’t even bother to be that precise.  You know your wife does that when talking to others about you ...many of you.

Nailed it.

I have a funny story.  A few years ago, when I lived in Chiang Mai, I met a Thai woman (Thaicupid)...supposedly educated as she was a RN (or whatever the nurse equivalent is here) in Loei.  I met her in Pai with a few of her old schoolmates.  The whole day, as I was being shown around, whenever she would say something to her friends or a shop assistant, it was not only “Farang”, but “Farang mun”. (Mun is the word for “it”...used for a dog for example).  Couldn’t even bother using the Thai word for “he”.

She didn’t know I knew what she was saying and the whole day I just kept my mouth shut and smiled.

That night...upon returning to Chiang Mai, the woman asked when she would get to see me again and would I please come visit her in Loei.  I laughed in her face and stated that I never wanted to see her again after being referred to as “it” all day long.   She then tried to squirm her way out of it (The thai way of deny, deny, deny) stating that she was talking about potatoes and not me.

:::facepalm:::

I rarely let Thai people know I can speak Thai now.  I’m not fluent, but I certainly know enough to know when I’m being disrespected.  I love the look on their faces, when after I hear them talking trash, I drop the proverbial bomb and basically tell them they can go **** themselves.

The poor Thais don't have an alternative to Farang that is the problem. Well, what do you “Farang" wants to be called ? You got to tell the Thais what you wish to be called instead of Farang.

In Japan about 25 years ago they used to call brothel "Toroko" which also means Turkey. When the Turkish government knew about it they requested the Japanese to change the word. So they changed it to "Soap-land" -

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Nailed it.

I have a funny story.  A few years ago, when I lived in Chiang Mai, I met a Thai woman (Thaicupid)...supposedly educated as she was a RN (or whatever the nurse equivalent is here) in Loei.  I met her in Pai with a few of her old schoolmates.  The whole day, as I was being shown around, whenever she would say something to her friends or a shop assistant, it was not only “Farang”, but “Farang mun”. (Mun is the word for “it”...used for a dog for example).  Couldn’t even bother using the Thai word for “he”.

She didn’t know I knew what she was saying and the whole day I just kept my mouth shut and smiled.

That night...upon returning to Chiang Mai, the woman asked when she would get to see me again and would I please come visit her in Loei.  I laughed in her face and stated that I never wanted to see her again after being referred to as “it” all day long.   She then tried to squirm her way out of it (The thai way of deny, deny, deny) stating that she was talking about potatoes and not me.

:::facepalm:::

I rarely let Thai people know I can speak Thai now.  I’m not fluent, but I certainly know enough to know when I’m being disrespected.  I love the look on their faces, when after I hear them talking trash, I drop the proverbial bomb and basically tell them they can go **** themselves.

woo hoo!! totally equate with what you went thru! 

My only difference was instead 'eat chicken' ???? 

51 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Got it now, lady?"

I'm not going to venture into your gutter. You're obsessed with flaming me?  Wonderful. Have a blast.  Goodbye.

1 hour ago, Issannative said:

Do you use the phrase farang yourself yinn?

aahaan farang= western food 

farang =westerner. 

It not mean foreigner. A Chinese person is not a farang. 

Western food books...

Thai people are not racism for food. These food books all use the word farang. If it was impolite, the book company not use it. 

68FF4150-740C-4F5F-AF15-924128E4FC77.jpeg

39D466D6-8E37-4137-8259-E0351D4E1E0C.jpeg

89CCCBB6-08EB-44DD-B9F4-CCA02C0B9644.png

9644832D-4A9C-4B56-9073-707F77D90B25.jpeg

A5A8A3CF-9BD9-4C39-9241-46BD5117EF70.jpeg

3C1FC25F-1AFA-4FBA-B279-39AB218A4941.jpeg

11BB4099-0FB2-4701-B502-A48A03A17841.jpeg

5E128C8D-5B5E-44B2-9F17-25F254D62EB2.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Yinn said:

farang =westerner. 

Western food books...

Thai people are not racism for food. These food books all use the word farang. If it was impolite, the book company not use it. 

Yeah sure. Because all western food is same same. Everyone knows that. 

That shows a backwards mentality, sorry. It's like the USA in the 1950's considering "Oriental" food all the same. 

10 hours ago, transam said:

Not the farang thing again........????

All the Mr.Angry's will be along in a mo.....????

Sorry. I not know about this so sensitive.

You right. Unbelievable. 55555

just try to help. They not want listen.

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

farang =westerner. 

Western food books...

No need to defend your lack of quality education.

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

farang =westerner. 

It not mean foreigner.

Yes but isnt there context? Like when referring to me, doesnt it mean "wonderful westerner who is exceptionally handsome, with bronzed rippling pecs and a set of guns that would fit on a Stryker?"

Im sure that in other contexts it means D***head.

Just now, Airalee said:

Why would you want to put Yinn on ignore?  This is pure comedy gold.  She’s a great representative for her culture.

She sure is, shes whupping some of you guys badly.

Archived