Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

10 hours ago, fishtank said:

No. I just don't respond to ignorance.

My name is John not farang.

Lived in this village for 14 years and would expect better from the local retards.

Perhaps they look at you as the "retard", from the negativity of your post, regarding the people of the country you reside they would not be far off....

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Actually you have to read to get your questions answered not write

Yinn  has commented favourably on foreigners she met as a receptionist

Yinn has mentioned she uses the forum to practice her English and broaden her knowledge

Personally I think Thai people benefit from encouragement rather than criticism, although to her credit Yinn has shown solid resilience to those who attempt to belittle her input to Tvisa

Yours faithfully

White knight geo

What is that saying I always hear you men talking about ...my girl is different??  Is that it???

She is broadening her knowledge but maybe not in the innocent way you expect.

Well..I think that we are sliding off topic.

I am not offended by the use of the word "farang" but I did get a bit bored with its use by Thai who were well aware that I am Australian.Then again I was bored by its useage by "farangs" as well..????

However I must thank Yinn for starting the thread "Flooding in Thailand" and keeping it going.Well done.

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well..I think that we are sliding off topic.

I am not offended by the use of the word "farang" but I did get a bit bored with its use by Thai who were well aware that I am Australian.Then again I was bored by its useage by "farangs" as well..????

However I must thank Yinn for starting the thread "Flooding in Thailand" and keeping it going.Well done.

Yeah she done good Bruce

5 hours ago, Scott said:

I find the term to be mildly offensive, but not quite up to the standard of getting all wound up about it.   The application of a racial term is offensive if the person it's being used on finds it offensive.  

I had another thought about your post - "being offensive" and "being offended" are two different things, and if someone is offended by a word, it doesn't mean that this word is offensive in absolute terms.

Some people almost make a sport of finding reasons to be offended.

So it's only the use of truly offensive words that can be "forgiven" if their recipient is not offended - but when it comes to words that native speakers consider non-offensive but some people feel offended by the word - then sorry, then one just has to endure whatever offense one imagines in it.

What determines a word's offensiveness is not if someone feels offended by it, but rather the intention of the person who used the word.

I am insisting on this matter because a growing number of people in the West understand this the wrong way around and make it impossible to even talk normally.

I believe the offense Westerners see in being called "the farang" also stems from a cultural misunderstanding.

In Thai and many other Asian languages, people tend to use categories or physical properties in place of pronouns or names. They will tend to say 5 fruits instead of 5 mangoes while pointing at mangoes with their finger, when talking to friends, they often will greet them with a "hey, fat one", or talking about other people, they will call them "bodies" when in a context of person transport or seating in a restaurant.

In this context, the use of "farang" is neither suprising nor offensive.

I prefer not to use terms that others find offensive.   I don't think the word 'farang' is offensive, but some people are offended at being called 'a farang'.   I've been in meetings where people got quite PC and said it shouldn't be used.   I've always maintained it's perfectly legitimate to describe a particular group of people when we need a binary distinction.   We have Thai staff and we have farang staff.  

IMO, I try to avoid using terms that are offensive unless my goal is to offend them and that sometimes happens -- but it is usually words a whole lot stronger than farang!

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I have never been called farang in the first person, sometimes Papa, Phaw (พ่อ) and lately Ta (thanks for that!).

I get "Papa" a lot.

Hellooooo Papa, where you go, you want kanom, aroi mak.

Paeng mak.

Nooooooooooo. May Paeng! You try!

Then Auntie turns to her friend and says in Thai

Damn, the fat "white westerner" doesnt need any more sweets does he, and look at him sweat like a pig. Give him some water Poo before he faints and we have to call the police, I dont want them around, I dont have their tea money today

Papa, papa you take *hands bottle of water*, where you from Papa, I love yooooooooo

13 hours ago, amykat said:

You’re a guest here Asian girl, we only like polite people, remember you said that about guests in Thailand?  You only accept polite people??  Many times you let us know that.  Well we have this place, it is not Thailand and you can get kicked out.

I did not know you the girl, sorry. 

Welcome sister!

12 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I thought that you had left Thailand? I don't see Yinn as antagonising people, if you do I suggest that you look at yourself. She has asked several direct questions but you don't want to answer her you just want to preach to people.

If some farang think farang is a bad word. It maybe cause the problem.

So I just try to help everybody understand it not bad word.

Make peaceful together is better right?

12 hours ago, amykat said:

I have asked her several direct questions in different threads, she never answered any of them.  

I not have time to answer everyone. I am very popular. And sometimes not understand the question.

Yet TM30 is nothing to her and easy to do and she felt qualified to tell us all many things about it.

I work at hotel. The hotel do everyday. Many many. No problem

She does not even have a foreign husband

Correct. Sorry. I not want.

who she does these things with, so she is not living this expat life at all, as far as she admits, but she tells us how it is??

Yes, farang is NOT impolite.

The fact that I recently left Thailand has nothing to do with anything, I lived there for 14 years, I have a Thai daughter, and for all you know I could move back tomorrow so don’t try that with me!!!

not forget the TM30 na.

Also don’t try the look at myself BS, maybe I can identify manipulation better than you can???  She got a whole long list of men to admit cheating on their wives ...just for the hell of it, what has she admitted here??  Who knows her??  

7 hours ago, amykat said:

Well I’m sorry if that comment offended anyone.  I did not mean it to most of you.  I think we know that some men suffer from White Knight syndrome with Thai ladies ...is that not true?

Witch. Now white knight? If someone agree when I say true thing they are the White Knight?

They become little puppy dogs instantly and can be quite protective

I think you feel intimidated by Asian woman.

....Never, ever, under any circumstances could a western woman get away with a thread like any of these, I doubt many men could get away with that first post about hating Thai people.

I used quotes from you guys.

I have never once had a man jump to my defense here no matter how badly I was getting slaughtered

Slaughtered, witch, white knights. 

Not be jealous people agree with me na.

Anyway, I agree, I have been thinking also that she might be information gathering for nefarious purposes.  

Spy? 

She has never been an expat anywhere, she does not claim any romantic life or involvement with foreigners other than a short term job which is finished.

Ok sister. I learn Thai for my business/career. Ok

Like she is about to go to school in England and has questions.  

You confuse me. I never say I go school in England. Someone else. Not me.

She is not answering our questions about some topic.  What is her purpose here??

Help make farang feel welcome to thailand. Peaceful. Help them understand many thing. 

She picked the absolute most extreme quotes from somewhere to represent what she wanted .

No, many more worse that one. 

..not exactly good journalism.  Did she have no good experiences with the foreigners she met in real life, did they all have paranoid personality disorder and were working on a manifesto against Thailand?

The whole deal is just not making sense.

You not make sense.

11 hours ago, 473geo said:

Ah but this thread is started by a Thai person not by a farang with nothing better to do than take offense

Huh?  I don't take offense on TVF, certainly not over this oft recycled farang word nonsense. 

But like you've just done, sometimes it's fun to pretend someone is butt hurt, so you can wade in and give them s**t about it.  LOL.  

Yinn the Internet Heroin of the Week, saving the planet, one farang at a time!

giphy.gif

Deflecting truthful feedback she no rike. 

Zip!  Boing!  Ricochette zing! 

giphy.gif

39 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I did not know you the girl, sorry. 

Welcome sister!

If some farang think farang is a bad word. It maybe cause the problem.

So I just try to help everybody understand it not bad word.

Make peaceful together is better right?

I not have time to answer everyone. I am very popular. And sometimes not understand the question.

I work at hotel. The hotel do everyday. Many many. No problem

Correct. Sorry. I not want.

Yes, farang is NOT impolite.

not forget the TM30 na.

Witch. Now white knight? If someone agree when I say true thing they are the White Knight?

I think you feel intimidated by Asian woman.

I used quotes from you guys.

Slaughtered, witch, white knights. 

Not be jealous people agree with me na.

Spy? 

Ok sister. I learn Thai for my business/career. Ok

You confuse me. I never say I go school in England. Someone else. Not me.

Help make farang feel welcome to thailand. Peaceful. Help them understand many thing. 

No, many more worse that one. 

You not make sense.

Dude, you need to go back and Edit some of the suddenly normal grammar and spelling.  Come on, bro, "Wut you name? Wear u flom? Mee lub u long time, ching ching, laaaaaa".  ????

7 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Dude, you need to go back and Edit some of the suddenly normal grammar and spelling.  Come on, bro, "Wut you name? Wear u flom? Mee lub u long time, ching ching, laaaaaa".  ????

Is that all you think of Thai women?

Well here's a pretty kettle of fish..the males flee from the West usually because they are alcoholics,concrete and brain dead-to seek solace in a Thai woman's arms-only to begin denouncing Thai women too..

It's monumentally boring and lacks class,good will and understanding-let alone any form of intelligence-which rednecks,bovver boys and bogans rarely display.

The Thai will end up "Dunkirking" you in the end.

They are trying very hard at the moment.

35 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

A little inexperienced on written communication with Thai women are we?

'How is your day going darling?' - very English often used by my wife, remembered and recalled from my messages to her

'Feeling better darling cough improve thank you' - again my wife using phrases from my messages

'children and I have conjunctivitis darling eyes not so good' a recent phrase all her own

In my opinion one of the major downfalls of Farang in Thailand is to underestimate the capabilities and intelligence of Thai women

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Is that all you think of Thai women?

Well here's a pretty kettle of fish..the males flee from the West usually because they are alcoholics,concrete and brain dead-to seek solace in a Thai woman's arms-only to begin denouncing Thai women too..

It's monumentally boring and lacks class,good will and understanding-let alone any form of intelligence-which rednecks,bovver boys and bogans rarely display.

The Thai will end up "Dunkirking" you in the end.

They are trying very hard at the moment.

Male feminist outrage?  The old 1-2 farang dirtbag lower than rednecks, insult meme!   Woo hoo, you go deep over a bastardized line from Full Metal Jacket!   Lighten up, Francis! ???? 

I dig my wife.  She's awesome first.  Thai second.  She's got some views on Thais and Thailand that'll make your eyes pop. 

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

Male feminist outrage?  The old 1-2 farang dirtbag lower than rednecks, insult meme!   Woo hoo, you go deep over a bastardized line from Full Metal Jacket!   Lighten up, Francis! ???? 

I dig my wife.  She's awesome first.  Thai second.  She's got some views on Thais and Thailand that'll make your eyes pop. 

Doubt it.

Wanna have another go Mr Woo hoo?

Otherwise your post resembles Sam Waterson's remark..

"The sure sign that there is intelligent life in the Universe is that they have never tried to contact us."

10 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Apparently lacking the confidence to come onto Tvisa and display them.....unlike Yinn

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Doubt it.

Wanna have another go Mr Woo hoo?

Otherwise your post resembles Sam Waterson's remark..

"The sure sign that there is intelligent life in the Universe is that they have never tried to contact us."

Did you just call me Mr. Woo Hoo?  That's a low blow, even for you.  Long as you don't call me a farang, I'm good.

4 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Ooooo, limp wristed insult to me wife.  Got my blood boiling now, Mr. Man! ????

Nope no insult to your wife, I'm sure she has more than enough to put up with must be very special, more a comment your repeated attempts to knock Yinn for being herself on Tvisa, for me she stands up to be counted, for you somebody to knock, so be it.

Farang (https://sml.snl.no/farang), is an epidemic of infectious disease. The term is used especially for infectious infectious disease of the gastrointestinal tract.

Farang (Thai ฝรั่ง [fà.ràŋ]), in daily speech [fà.làŋ], is a Thai word used to refer to people of European appearance, ie "white". The word itself is not charged in any way, either positively or negatively, but in other words it can be used in a negative way, depending on the context and the view of the person using it. The word is also used to refer to things that are associated with Western culture.

Several explanations for the etymology of the word exist. The two most common explanations are:

it is that a somewhat abbreviated version of the word ฝรั่ง เศษ ([fà.ràŋ.se: t] French) because the French were some of the first whites to come to Thailand, and that "all" whites were therefore considered to be "French" ".
It comes from the Thai name for guava, which is also called farang. The white fruit flesh of the guava fruit was associated with the white skin of the "faranges". The "whites" were called "farang" because they were "as white" as guavas.
Both of these theories are probably wrong, and just walking stories.

The origin of the word farang is probably derived from the Persian word farangi, which in turn derives from the Arabic firinjia (فرنجة), which was used in western Europe during the Middle Ages, which is a reference to the West Germanic tribes. (Eastern Europe was called روم Rum, after the Eastern Roman Empire - the second Rome.) With the Persians, the word farangi spread to southern and southeast Asia. The vast majority of languages in the region use a word similar to farangi about white people, such as barang in Cambodia, parangiar in tamil, farenghi in hindi and pha rank in Vietnamese.

Another explanation is that it comes from the Hindi word firangi (Devanāgarī: फिरंगी, or "foreign" which means foreign / foreign in English)

The word farang is used for many things that are associated with Western culture, although it is often dropped where it is superfluous. The name of the guava is really กล้วย ฝรั่ง ([klûa̯j fà.ràŋ]) which means something like "the white man's banana". In this case, "farang" is an adjective, describing a fruit already known to the Thais, the banana, and which is reminiscent of the guava (which originally came from America and was introduced to Thailand by the Portuguese). This pattern is also seen in words such as มันฝรั่ง ([man fà.ràŋ] potato), where one is a general word for root vegetables, and where the potato was perceived as western, since it also came with the whites (in everyday speech the potato is often just described as one). Another example is น้ำอบฝรั่ง ([nâːm ɔ̀ːp fà.ràŋ]) which means western perfume, and unlike "traditional" น้ำอบ is based on alcohol. As alcohol-based perfume has become more popular, the farang ending has been dropped at the end, and now the retronym น้ำอบ ไทย ([nâːm ɔ̀ːp tʰaj]) is used for traditional Thai perfume.

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Nope no insult to your wife, I'm sure she has more than enough to put up with must be very special, more a comment your repeated attempts to knock Yinn for being herself on Tvisa, for me she stands up to be counted, for you somebody to knock, so be it.

Good on ya', mate.  

image.png.7fbbcb507a904d2f255c3fd508f6870c.png

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Wrong.

Again.

OK great, hey Yinn:

You know the super yummy green seafood sauce used for say Grilled Goong or Oysters or whatever? Its in all the seafood joints? Like a green chili looking sauce? Whats that called and can you buy it in bottles or does some granny have to make it, in which case I cant, because I am farang.

Nice on topic technique, nah?

Archived