what happens if Laos doesn't let me in ?

Say I'm trying to enter Laos from Thailand at a land crossing, but the Laos immigration police decide they won't let me into their country.

Does Thailand have to take me back ?

What happens if neither country accepts me ?

Can the land border situation become like the corrupt mess I've read about at some Thai airports, where the immigration officers try to make you sign some document so they can put you on an overpriced flight to your homeland ?

Why do you believe that the Laos Immigration could send you back? Have you done anything considered illegal?

As long as you apply for a visa dn pay for it, they usually let you in.

Thailand doesn't have to take you back when you have had too many visa/extension of stays.

• Like 2

The only reasons I can think of for Laos denying entry is a passport that has less the 6 months validity or not having enough pages for them to put the visa on arrival sticker in your passport. Or you are from a country that does qualify for a visa on arrival and do not have a visa from a Lao embassy or consulate.

If denied entry they would send you back to here. If denied entry to Thailand it would be due to you not qualifying for a entry to the country for some valid reason.

I doubt the crossings from Laos will ever get as bad as the airports.

• Like 2

I think I read that back in the hippie days, they had that kind of situation, expelled from Laos and Thailand wouldn't take them back. Stuck in no man's land, it became an issue that had to be resolved through diplomatic channels.

Ultimately if both countries deny you entry at a land border crossing, you probably need to call your embassy to sort the mess out. Or you slap an immigration officer really hard, that should get you arrested in that country. ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

They can not let you live on the bridge fishing and drinking water from the Mekong for months. International rule is if you can not enter a country you must be accepted by the country you just left. In your case Thailand. if they don’t want you they can bring you to the airport for you to leave. Happened to some guys already so always carry enough cash or a credit card to fly back to your nanny state :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I would walk along no mans land until I got to another Country and try to get into there , if they wouldnt let me in, just keep walking along all the no mans lands until I got back to my own Country

what in flip flops ??

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The only reasons I can think of for Laos denying entry is a passport that has less the 6 months validity or not having enough pages for them to put the visa on arrival sticker in your passport. Or you are from a country that does qualify for a visa on arrival and do not have a visa from a Lao embassy or consulate.

If denied entry they would send you back to here. If denied entry to Thailand it would be due to you not qualifying for a entry to the country for some valid reason.

I doubt the crossings from Laos will ever get as bad as the airports.

Can Laos (or Cambodia for that matter) refuse entry if the person has significantly overstayed their visa in Thailand?

26 minutes ago, dddave said:

Can Laos (or Cambodia for that matter) refuse entry if the person has significantly overstayed their visa in Thailand?

I'd have thought your overstay in another country would be of little interest to the Immigration Officer of another, other than maybe telling you 'not to do it here'. My old neighbour cleared a six/eight month overstay at Padang Besar, and the 'naughty stamps' didn't cause him any problems getting into Malaysia, or any other country on his little 'Asian tour' which followed. 

I suppose it would be at the individual officer's discretion to act on any previous indiscretions in your passport. As far as I'm aware - I could have understood this wrongly - that as soon as you pay your overstay 'fine', in Thailand, the matter is considered over and done with (if you are inside the blacklist period; if such a thing still exists). They may put your personal finances, purpose of visit and personal status etc. to deeper scrutiny because of this, however I'd think there wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by IvorLott

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

I would walk along no mans land until I got to another Country and try to get into there , if they wouldnt let me in, just keep walking along all the no mans lands until I got back to my own Country

There are only two countries involved. There is no 'another country'. You would know that if you lived in Thailand and had been to any friendship bridge.

I saw this happen at the Myanmar border. If you still have 1 day validity in your last Thai stamp they cancell the exit stamp and let you back. Happened to me but the other way around: denied to Thailand via Laos. Laos canceled my exit stamp. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I saw this happen at the Myanmar border. If you still have 1 day validity in your last Thai stamp they cancell the exit stamp and let you back. Happened to me but the other way around: denied to Thailand via Laos. Laos canceled my exit stamp. 

Doesn't happen in Thailand, only happens in the surrounding countries as they have become used to the problems Thai immigration cause for them and the foreigners.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 50soon said:

They can not let you live on the bridge fishing and drinking water from the Mekong for months. International rule is if you can not enter a country you must be accepted by the country you just left. In your case Thailand. if they don’t want you they can bring you to the airport for you to leave. Happened to some guys already so always carry enough cash or a credit card to fly back to your nanny state ????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Pray, what is a nanny state?

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Come on, tell us what you have done wrong, to be denied entry to Laos pleese.

i've never done anything wrong. i'm an exemplary human being. 

it's just these lao immigration police often seem to have a major grouch on....a few times, they act like there's something wrong with my money ( as if usd is garbage compared to the internationally coveted lao keeep ) i sort of wanted to know what happens if one of these characters ever flat out says "no entry"