Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule

Jonathan Fairfield

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

If you are referring to the UK constitution, they are written down but not in a single document.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some of it is written down, but not the parts pertaining to political conventions:

Another characteristic of the unwritten constitution is the special significance of political customs known as ‘conventions’, which oil the wheels of the relationship between the ancient institutions of state. These are unwritten rules of constitutional practice, vital to our politics, the workings of government, but not committed into law or any written form at all. The very existence of the office of Prime Minister, our head of government, is purely conventional. So is the rule upon which he or she is appointed, being whoever commands the confidence of the House of Commons (the majority party leader, or head of a coalition of parties).

I would like to know what the Queen thinks about all this.

11-0 reeks of political correctness, the chief characteristic of which is herding-instinct hysteria. They thought it was what they ought to do, because they felt morally obliged to do something that would be perceived by sensitive people as correct. A different bunch of people would have decided differently, and that consideration is all that is needed to impugn this outrageous and retrograde precedent.
Good to know that there are Brexiteers who are privy to the UK deliberation process.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Please tell me where in this post I am being dishonest:

Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 15.08.44.png

I'm not sure what method you have used to achieve it, but the post that is showing there is certainly not the post I responded to.  The gist is the same, but the wording is not. This I have reported to the mods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HansumFarang said:

I put the summary in my post stevenl ????

But you obviously don't understand that 'whether or not that was his intention' means they did not conclude that that was his intention.

• Confused 1

Whether in writing or precedent that does not make the Supreme Courts deliberations any less valid and until the judgement is published we must wait the reasons given. One thing is for sure that from first principles they decided Boris was lying his head off. Nothing to with the constitution or precedent other than thou must not lie. Hard Brexiteer spin that the decision was political a load of old tosh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, stevenl said:

But you obviously don't understand that 'whether or not that was his intention' means they did not conclude that that was his intention.

They could not conclude either way for certain - "he may or may not have". They leave it to the reader's judgement. Perhaps I am a cynic, but you must admit that John Major stood to substantially gain politically for his unusually long 3 week prorogation. Fullfact did not offer any alternate explanation other than the one that paints Major in a bad light.

If you believe that the long prorogation was a coincidence, I applaud your trusting nature.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HansumFarang said:

They could not conclude either way for certain - "he may or may not have". They leave it to the reader's judgement. Perhaps I am a cynic, but you must admit that John Major stood to substantially gain politically for his unusually long 3 week prorogation. Fullfact did not offer any alternate explanation other than the one that paints Major in a bad light.

If you believe that the long prorogation was a coincidence, I applaud your trusting nature.

No, I'm just saying that your conclusion 'factcheck admits major was up to no good' is not correct.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

According to a senior Tory MP, she's going to be even more unamused tommorow when Johnson turns up at her house asking for a second proroguation. Apparently Dominic Cummings flew back from New York early to make up some more <deleted> to feed the Queen with.

Latest from Reuter News...   Dukey has been summoned to the palace ,  by her majesty , resignations expected..

Where are those dam keys . 

Landrover,   Indian krap. 

Edited by elliss

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Cameron was part of the remain campaign. You all dismissed what he said as being part of project fear.

If you read my reply again it does actually say "Leave campaign"

But you have obviously got a link to prove otherwise?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Whether in writing or precedent that does not make the Supreme Courts deliberations any less valid and until the judgement is published we must wait the reasons given. One thing is for sure that from first principles they decided Boris was lying his head off. Nothing to with the constitution or precedent other than thou must not lie. Hard Brexiteer spin that the decision was political a load of old tosh.

You keep quoting me, but leaving the text blank? I'm sure it's unintentional, but it's a bit annoying.

My personal opinion is that the PM was acting in bad faith, but that is irrelevant in legal terms.

The point that I've been trying to make is that the Supreme Court has made itself vulnerable with this ruling. The legal grounding of their ruling will appear shaky to many observers. When the PM, Parliament and the Supreme Court are all stretching the limits of their powers like this, it damages people's faith in the system.

13 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

There is talk of Johnson being impeached but that law hasn't been used for several centurys.

The advantage of flexabilliyty ….(wink wink ….5555 ) but a good initiative 

Edited by david555

3 minutes ago, HansumFarang said:

You keep quoting me, but leaving the text blank? I'm sure it's unintentional, but it's a bit annoying.

My personal opinion is that the PM was acting in bad faith, but that is irrelevant in legal terms.

The point that I've been trying to make is that the Supreme Court has made itself vulnerable with this ruling. The legal grounding of their ruling will appear shaky to many observers. When the PM, Parliament and the Supreme Court are all stretching the limits of their powers like this, it damages people's faith in the system.

You missed the news.  Apparently the PM acted unlawfully rather than simply in bad faith.  The law is not about optics it's about the law equally for all.  Well, it's supposed to be.  Lucky that Parliament and the SC are keeping the government's 'stretching' of the limits of powers within legal bounds I would say.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, I'm just saying that your conclusion 'factcheck admits major was up to no good' is not correct.

Yes, I should have said "Factcheck all but admits Major was up to no good". Obviously they can't actually say it, but that is what most people would conclude for themselves after reading the article. In my opinion.

• Thanks 1