Thai son/daughter sending money to parents every month

bbi1

Thai son/daughter sending money to parents every month - Is this part of Thai culture that the kids must send money to their parents every month once they are working from their 20's onwards? Does this apply to all Thai kids, even if their parents are well off?

Yes, if they don't have assets/money enough to get by. 

In our case, my Mrs. visits her Mom once a week, either does bulk/staple shopping herself on the way, or just drops 1,000 Baht in the pot and let them do it themselves at the local market.   Other siblings pay the utility bills, buy household items/applicances as/when needed, pay into the annual death/funeral insurance scheme, and do their duty staying at the house as rotating caretakers.  Believe dear old Mom gets the 800 Baht/month old-age stipend as well.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Thai son/daughter sending money to parents every month - Is this part of Thai culture that the kids must send money to their parents every month once they are working from their 20's onwards? Does this apply to all Thai kids, even if their parents are well off?

My Thai step-daughter says she'll give me part of her wage when she finishes university next year and starts work.

(In return for paying her expenses and fees during high-school and university)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My Thai step-daughter says she'll give me part of her wage when she finishes university next year and starts work.

Hope you do not have to buy her a job, which is quite common here.

been in Asia for quiet sometime, this is a very common practice in the majority of the countries in the area... some parents,  if well of, they keep the money on a savings account and later give it back to the grand kids

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah dude you got three kids right? Get them working!

On 9/25/2019 at 10:35 PM, bbi1 said:

Does this apply to all Thai kids, even if their parents are well off?

Nothing anywhere ever applies to everyone... most of the Thai ladies I know are very happy when they can send money home to help out their parents... though probably none of them are rich... if the parents are wealthy, it does sound unusual and a bit out of line as young people should be working and saving to make their life...