It finally happened! Denied entry at BKK on METV

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That is completely irrelevant, a tourist visa, be it multiple, single or even waiver, is not suitable for a person who is obviously living in Thailand. He was being denied prior to the bribe, and I believe the bribe was to facilitate expulsion to a nearby country, rather than being returned to Canada, so another non-sequitur.

What a person would prefer to do with their money, rather than spend it on an Elite is also of little importance, I would like to spend my 1900 baht on licorice allsorts each year, but pay the fee instead. 

You don't think they have an incentive to deny people for a bribe? I would give them the benefit of the doubt otherwise. Also the way I read it he was offered to pay $100 to be let in or fly to a neighbouring country but he declined both. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

I don't expect the immigration police have the resources for spot checks on Amata and the rest, border points is easier. I am perplexed that an apparently wealthy young person who wants to live in Thailand prefers to try and use tourist means when an Elite would be far more suitable. 
They may not have the resources but also they are unlikely to find falang 30-45 working on a tourist visa.

Why waste money on an elite when a tourist visa works for multiple short stays. Now as immigration is being daft then an elite comes into play
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

You don't think they have an incentive to deny people for a bribe? I would give them the benefit of the doubt otherwise. Also the way I read it he was offered to pay $100 to be let in or fly to a neighbouring country but he declined both. 

Again irrelevant, we were discussing a particular case, that of the original poster. It clearly states the $100 would still mean he got sent out of Thailand. If you wish to expand the discussion about Thai officials taking bribes at immigration to let people in, I certainly would never deny it. I have little faith in their integrity. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm surprised a 'wealthy young person' would even try to enter Thailand.

Plenty of nicer places where he would actually be welcome.

None of them ever mention why they are so desperate to come here.

10 years back sure, but now, totally beats me.

Well the OP went to the trouble of coming back with a new passport. There could be plenty of reasons, from owning property, a relationship, or, God forbid, running a business. I don't know. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jsmith22 said:

a recently issued METV, 20,000 baht cash (Canadian equivalent), proof of onward travel and proof of hotel reservations for the first few nights.

Am confused as to why you need an METV. 

As a Canadian, don't you get a 30 day VISA for visiting the Kingdom for free?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cerox said:

Good luck for your next time. You should have accepted the offer for 100 USD for a neighboring country flight. Much better than an expensive/long flight back to Canada.

Lessons learned: do not fly into Thailand from far away unless you have retirement/marriage/Elite visa etc.

Fly to Malaysia or another neighboring country and then into TH so your way back is shorter if something goes wrong.

Very good advice. Thanks.

• Like 1

It seems that you really want to come back to Thailand.

Why not just pay the bribe and be done with it. The worst thing about bribes is that they are so effective at achieving the desired end results. Sure, they are unethical, illegal, and one shouldn't have to pay them, but they have been the grease that has turned the wheels since the beginning of time. We can fight it all we like, waving our moral banner to and fro, the the bottom line is; do you want to achieve your desired result? Or are you satisfied just sending letters to Thai Visa?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why waste money on an elite when a tourist visa works for multiple short stays. Now as immigration is being daft then an elite comes into play

Because it isn't working anymore...... and again, I am unsure the OP matches your description. He flew directly into Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Am confused as to why you need an METV. 

As a Canadian, don't you get a 30 day VISA for visiting the Kingdom for free?

Actually a 30 day Visa Exempt Entry is possible, but having a Visa is regarded as 'better'. Particularly for someone exhibiting frequent trips into Thailand.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

It seems that you really want to come back to Thailand.

Why not just pay the bribe and be done with it. The worst thing about bribes is that they are so effective at achieving the desired end results. Sure, they are unethical, illegal, and one shouldn't have to pay them, but they have been the grease that has turned the wheels since the beginning of time. We can fight it all we like, waving our moral banner to and fro, the the bottom line is; do you want to achieve your desired result? Or are you satisfied just sending letters to Thai Visa?

Definitely wasn't a moral issue. Knowing what I know now, I'll do it next time if it's ever offered again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jsmith22 said:

I am a frequent visitor to Thailand.

My previous passport had 5 SETV’s and 1 METV with a few trips back home. The latest being away from Thailand for 2 months.

Doesn't sound like a genuine tourist. 

why are you really spending so much time here? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

If length of travel was a rule then why did they stamp the passport with 'no appropriate means of money to travel with'

If they wanted it to be a rule, then make it a rule with exact criteria on how many days are allowed, will stop the confusion that's for sure

Once upon a time they did have such a time limit rule, which they removed when they probably realised it was hurting the economy. So its back to 'do they like the look of you' on entry

The reason they stopped it ( I heard ) was the system at the time didn't add up the days already spent in the previous months so the IO had to check in/out dates in the PP and do a 'pencil and paper' addition. And that was causing long delays at arrival, plus, not sure, tourist numbers were taking a dip at the time.

26 minutes ago, jsmith22 said:

Definitely wasn't a moral issue. Knowing what I know now, I'll do it next time if it's ever offered again.

So, what's with the new passport.  Did the old one expire or was it just full?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

They didn't, he was denied for having no appropriate means of supporting himself in the country, which is immigration speak for "we think you are working here"

The OP was entering Thailand with a new passport and METV, according to the information available on the Thai Embassy, Ottawa website, to get the METV he would have needed to show a bank balance of CAD 2,000 as part of the application, it doesn't mention having to prove you are employed.

Young frequent visitors to Thailand, who spend a good majority of their time in Thailand stand a big chance of being stopped and refused entry, to immigration it looks very suspicious that a young person can afford to spend so much time in Thailand without earning money, to be fair, so would I.

This is exactly what the Elite program is for.

If they thought he was working he would be denied under 12.3. 12.2 means he did not pay the bribe so they used the catchall close. 

You are right for the METV requirement for canadian. They must have changed it or I checked the wrong website because when I looked into it they required a letter from the employer. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2