It finally happened! Denied entry at BKK on METV

That's diabolical.

My chum is a regular visitor and was given a 40 minute grilling at immigration by a female IO who accused him of working which was pure nonsense. This was around 10 weeks ago.

But he was luckier than you and they grudgingly finally allowed him entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jsmith22 said:

From what I’ve been reading, the stamp says I was denied due to lack of funds (even though I had cash and need to show proof of funds to get the visa in the first place). Can anyone confirm that?

It looks like you were denied under section 12.2. That is for not having the appropriate means of living in the country.

Having 20K satisfies 12.9 and doesn't stop you being denied under 12.2.

13 minutes ago, jsmith22 said:

So what are my options? Does that stamp mean I’m banned from Thailand or is it worth trying again?

You are not banned.

You could try again, but given your history you have a high chance of being denied again.

11 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It looks like you were denied under section 12.2. That is for not having the appropriate means of living in the country.

Having 20K satisfies 12.9 and doesn't stop you being denied under 12.2.

You are not banned.

You could try again, but given your history you have a high chance of being denied again.

Would the stamp hurt my chances of getting the Elite Visa if I went that route?

1 minute ago, thecyclist said:

Even people with METV (for which proof of employment and /or sufficient funds is required) from their home countries are now refused entry. Utterly absurd. 

The reason for proof of employment is to demonstrate you have a reason to return after your holiday. As in, it reduces the chances of serial tourism.

• Like 1

Good for you for being part of and enabling the corruption that is Thailand. 

Now as far as the part that you want to return for more after that episode is a wonder.

Good luck. Don't forget there are plenty of good and more honest countries around the world with more to offer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's just daft, if they are concerned people are working why don't they find them in their workplaces. Of course they won't be able to.

I don't expect the immigration police have the resources for spot checks on Amata and the rest, border points is easier. I am perplexed that an apparently wealthy young person who wants to live in Thailand prefers to try and use tourist means when an Elite would be far more suitable. 

• Like 2