It finally happened! Denied entry at BKK on METV

1 hour ago, sillyfool said:

do you really think the years of abuse of the thai system by westener's (albeit at the hands of corrupt officials) wouldn't catch up them ?

i left thailand about 11 years ago and just came back in july of this year. so much has changed with this place. to assume those old practices would continue.... head meet sand. 

i watched from home for the whole time (stupid wife wanted to go to canada) of the ever evolving and changing immigration system here. weather or not you agree or like it is irrelevant. times are changing.

sincerely 

mr sandman 

You have a good point. Let's face it , Thais are tired of foreigners -mostly Western males who act out- how many stories are in the news about Westerners -

-Getting into fights with locals over some issue

-Drunk and disorderly

-Driving while under the influence and having an accident

-Using banned drugs

-overstaying and ignoring immigration laws

-Working illegally.

For years- the authorities ignored it all because Westerners were the life blood of the tourist population.

Then, three  important things took place-  Asian countries (China and India) started to travel in numbers;  Western currencies started a long decline ; and Thailand 's government became ultra conservative.  

the powers that be cannot understand why males ages 20-45 could come to Thailand and stay for months and months without working.  They have never considered that  on line work is possible from any point in the World. In addition, with all the negativity surrounding Western male tourists in the aforementioned age group- their solution was simple- make it hard to live in Thailand for the targetted age group.  Go after the overstays and criminals and play it all up in the news .

However, I do believe some of the powers that be realize the pendulum has spun too far and unless there is massive increases in Asian tourists- they will start beckoning the Western tourist to return.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

I would just put it down to the blazer and wear something different next time.

It intrigues me why so many are desperate to come here all the time and even after being interrogated and made to feel like  a criminal then want to come back and try again. Why, are the streets here paved with gold???

If it wasn't for my kids here I would have been gone long ago.

Come on, we all know why blokes visit Thailand. There is one reason and one reason alone and it's nothing to do with gold.

It's why some of us are more or less addicted to the place.

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

People do sometimes get new passports. Most last only ten years.

The OP said nothing about getting a new passport in order to hide his past visits. He merely mentioned that it was new.

His previous record does not sound that bad to me. He had no overstays. It is not as if he was hiding any denied entries. We are all in big trouble if a new passport and previous stays in Thailand is considered a problem.

In their rush to condemn the OP, and suggest he did something wrong, you all seem to be missing the fact that this was a shakedown. This has been happening with increasing frequency. Airport Immigration Officer now appears to be the dream job for any Thai who aspires to build up a nice collection of hundred dollar bills. It could just as easily happen to any of you.

No, I get that.  And yes, it was a shake down.  End of. 

Doesn't diminish that, from TI's POV, OP started fitting the profile - just another clever farang trying to slip one past us dumb, 3rd world monkeys.  He knew it was possible, and didn't squirm in the net.  "It finally happened".

Good he didn't get uppity.  Might have gotten an attitude adjustment.  TI definitely feeling strong these days.  They've challenged the sacred caucasion cows, regained the initiative and some institutional confidence, and that can manifest itself in  unprofessional conduct. 

I got bitched out by a young, fit, good lookin' female I/O at Swampy last month around midnight, for a minor, and I mean minor, glitch on my Arrival Card.   She stood up, pointing and talking loud, like strict headmaster to an unruly student or Drill Sergeant to a recruit.    What the f? :blink:  Yeah, ok, Sarge, so solly, me dumb farang, try harder next time, ok?   She hesitated for just a moment, assessing me up and down, shook her head a bit, and waved me through abruptly.   Wife was next, this was the Thai PP line, that might have had something to do with it. 

This was the second time in a row I'd gotten this kind of unwarranted, <deleted>ty attitude from an I/O - the last was a new I/O at my local TI office over the TM30 nonsense.  Before this, 7 years of benign to rather pleasant experiences with TI. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

What you are saying is not true. He was denied on means. There was no supporting evidence that he was working and neither was he denied for this reason. You need to speak to Ubon Joe. For visa matters he should be the only one to speak. He was denied because of a lie, insufficient means, yet he has 21,000 baht. No evidence to support he had insufficient means. Thai airports have become a circus. He had a METV for crying out loud. What dont you understand? They had no proof he wasn't a tourist, no evidence that could mean he was working. 

You miss the point completely.

1. He wasn't denied for having no cash in that sense of the word, as they used 12.2 which is their standard denial clause for SUSPECTING he is working in Thailand.

2. Having a METV means nothing, immigration in EVERY country have the right to deny entry if they suspect that the person is trying to enter for purposes other than the visa allows.

3. They do not need proof that he was working, suspicion is enough - The OP himself admits he is a frequent visitor to Thailand and has previous SETVs and at least one other METV, he is young and therefore, in the minds of the immigration officers dealing with him, he should be working to support himself, as he is spending a great deal of time in Thailand, their conclusion was that he is working here, to use your own words, what part of that don't you understand?

• Like 1

How many days did you (asking the user that opened this thread) stay in Thailand on your visas in 2018 and 2019? That would make things much more understandable I guess.

My passport looks really funny and got 15 pages full of Thai stamps from the past 5 years. I have been coming to Thailand on visa exempts (never used any visa) 6 times this year 2019 and stayed 14-19 days per visit. No issues. Last year I had 8 stamps staying in total 122 days in Thailand, in 2017 I had 7 stamps and always stayed around 2 weeks....never had any issue. Always fly in via Suvarnabhumi airport. Am I just lucky? Or am I staying too less days per year for causing me any trouble witht he IO?

14 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Why would you take another chance????? They don't want you there! Perhaps it time to move on. 

Last I checked Thailand was not the only country in the world. 

Dont understand why people are putting themselves thru all this aggravation.

Probably immigration officers also wonder why he's so desperate to stay here.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lemonwaterjoe said:

How many days did you (asking the user that opened this thread) stay in Thailand on your visas in 2018 and 2019? That would make things much more understandable I guess.

My passport looks really funny and got 15 pages full of Thai stamps from the past 5 years. I have been coming to Thailand on visa exempts (never used any visa) 6 times this year 2019 and stayed 14-19 days per visit. No issues. Last year I had 8 stamps staying in total 122 days in Thailand, in 2017 I had 7 stamps and always stayed around 2 weeks....never had any issue. Always fly in via Suvarnabhumi airport. Am I just lucky? Or am I staying too less days per year for causing me any trouble witht he IO?

if i may. how old are you ? 

4 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Just what sort of right do you think some foreigner has to simply choose to rock up and live here long term????

JHC.

Simply because they want to??

why the h3ll do people feel that they should be allowed to simply live here without working, studying, marrying or parenting???

Absolute arrogance. 

Well, look at the oldie grey nomad visa aka retirement visa. Lots of old retired who don't work, study, marry or parent and are on the retirement visa. Guess they are also "absolutely arrogant" too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Well, look at the oldie grey nomad visa aka retirement visa. Lots of old retired who don't work, study, marry or parent and are on the retirement visa. Guess they are also "absolutely arrogant" too.

No, their retirement visa allows them to stay long term 

This is a very weird story.

You fly from Canada to bkk on a flight that must be at least 20 hours. 

They refuse you entry and you choose to let THEM book you an expensive one way flight back home. Straight back on another 20hrs.. <deleted>.

Why would you not take a 1hr flight to KL and sort out your situation there? Especially since your visa is still valid. 

Doesn't make sense to me. 

Edited by Steviee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Actually Donnacha did refer to a trend against Westerners. He did not mention Asians.

So being an asian (Chinese.) with a western passport is safer than being a westerner when entering Thailand. Good to know ????

Edited by bbi1

1 hour ago, racket said:

Sad story, but the title is misleading.

The reality is that you've obviously overused the SETV (single entry visa) among the visa exempts according to your description. A new passport won't help since their im-system will flag you based upon the entries you previously had. (they can't see your visa in the system, however they have an idea of your stay). With a METV, you can only get 3 entries per year if you are staying 8-9 months, and that won't bother them - at least for now. Plus, you mentioned that you had a few trips back home, and this will unnecessarily or potentially add more entries every time you're back to Thailand; So next time think of not stacking up a history of entries. The IM work fast and they only react if the system flags you, and they'll take the opportunity to ask for bribes. Lastly, it's the airlines' responsibility to get you back home without you having to incur charges for a ticket so I don't understand how that worked out. 

You can still get back into Thailand but take another route, some suggest land border through Malaysia which is probably the best bet you have. 

Good luck! 

Racket, I suppose the OP has a 2 month METV. Do you know if the situation is different for the (relative) new 6 months METV's ? I have had a few and never had an issue although last time they asked my to explain why i wanted to go back to Thailand and to explicitly state i won't be working.      

2 minutes ago, sillyfool said:

thought you might be older. my mistake. 

No problem.

That's why I don't understand why I never had any issues with my "history", as written:

And if the thread openen is reading this, it would still be very interesting to understand more about this please:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

She hesitated for just a moment, assessing me up and down, shook her head a bit, and waved me through abruptly.   Wife was next, this was the Thai PP line, that might have had something to do with it. 

You and your wife didn't both walk up to the immigration desk together but you went 1st while your wife queued then after you got processed your wife walked up next? When I did it that way with the gf the immigration officer asked my gf to also come to the counter and then processed her passport 1st then mine 2nd. This was at Don Meung though.

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

The reason for proof of employment is to demonstrate you have a reason to return after your holiday. As in, it reduces the chances of serial tourism.

Understood,

But what is wrong with serial tourism if you have the cash and means at your disposal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bbi1 said:

You and your wife didn't both walk up to the immigration desk together but you went 1st while your wife queued then after you got processed your wife walked up next? When I did it that way with the gf the immigration officer asked my gf to also come to the counter and then processed her passport 1st then mine 2nd. This was at Don Meung though.

No, one by one this time, although see others go as a couple/group.  Retired military, got the lobotomy, so when I see a hold short limit line for the queue, and only one set of foot prints on the carpet in front of the I/O's desk, to me, that means one at a time.  That I/O had a stick up her a** about something, probably had little to do with me personally, so I forgot about her quickly, and went looking for our cases.  Whateva....

40 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

So being an asian (Chinese.) with a western passport is safer than being a westerner when entering Thailand. Good to know ????

if you're Chinese Asian you'll probably be OK.

It's Mr White they seem to have an issue with.

17 hours ago, jsmith22 said:

Would the stamp hurt my chances of getting the Elite Visa if I went that route?

Why would you even consider Elite Visa, when all you can show is 20.000 baht in cash? No credit cards? With hotel and food, they probably thought you don’t have enough to support your stay.

Next time, if they ask for proof, show them cards etc.

In my 20 years coming as a regular tourist, I never been asked to show return ticket or cash. Something is not right here.

And again, you are obviously not in a position for Elite visa. Forget it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, wisperone said:

Good for you for being part of and enabling the corruption that is Thailand. 

Now as far as the part that you want to return for more after that episode is a wonder.

Good luck. Don't forget there are plenty of good and more honest countries around the world with more to offer.

seems the OP reports that he refused to be involved in that, and subsequently got in trouble.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

It looks like you were denied under section 12.2. That is for not having the appropriate means of living in the country.

Having 20K satisfies 12.9 and doesn't stop you being denied under 12.2.

You are not banned.

You could try again, but given your history you have a high chance of being denied again.

He did the right thing opting to return home because the 100 dollar bribe comes with no guarantees. The "On The Take Immigration" said he could come in the next day.. What that officer was trying to do was see if he had more funds by making him jump thru some hoops. When he said he wanted to go home he was denied for not having enough money. (Thai thinking) But with passport was all stamped up another immigration probably did the booking of the return ticket. Once that ball was rolling he was sure to be deported, although they saw he had funds for a return ticket they didn't reverse course because that would constitute 'Sia Na' Actually, to be safe, he should have had proof of moneys for the length of stay granted by the METV. 20k baht per 30 days.

But with that said, you must remember that, immigration can deny you just because they want to for no reason. It's up to the immigration officer. And yes there needs to be international exposure to this and their racist practices. The Land of Smile hasn't lived up to its billing since September 2006.

• Like 2