Who is telling the truth ?

Thaiwrath

1 hour ago, Longcut said:

people have become more bitter since the embassies stopped giving out income affidavits. It has made life a little harder on many. It has changed a lot of attitudes toward Thai Immigration and the government. 

Some embassies (I am aware of Austria, France, Holland/there may be more) adapted their Letter of Income to please Immigration. 

They put "We hereby certify...", without really doing nothing more than what they did before. 

Immigration was pleased with this. 

Some embassies (3) stopped categorically to issue an Affidavit/L.o.I..

To blame everything on government and Immigration, is maybe a little too easy, too unfair. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bttao said:

I understand that retirees  must keep 400.000 baht in the bank at all time... to be used as collateral for medical care.

Will the above also applies to someone who has a US healthcare (BCBS) which can be used anywhere in the world?

I am pretty sure that it is 800,000 bht in the bank for retirees and  400.000 for extension based on marriage . But the requirement of the funds are not only for medical emergencies. So no, having medical insurance (Thai based or from outside Thailand) does not exempt you from the income/savings requirement.

And the funds do not need to be kept in the bank at all times but  two or three months prior to applying (not sure of the exact length of time)

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

And the funds do not need to be kept in the bank at all times but  two or three months prior to applying (not sure of the exact length of time)

Since March 1st those applying for extensions based upon retirement are required to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months before the application and 3 months after. Then after the 3 months it can be lowered to 400k baht until you top up the account to 800k baht for the next extension.

4 hours ago, bttao said:

I understand that retirees  must keep 400.000 baht in the bank at all time... to be used as collateral for medical care.

Will the above also applies to someone who has a US healthcare (BCBS) which can be used anywhere in the world?

Keeping it the 400k baht after 3 months for medical care is only an assumption by some people.

Having insurance will not exempt you from keeping it the bank.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Since March 1st those applying for extensions based upon retirement are required to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months before the application and 3 months after. Then after the 3 months it can be lowered to 400k baht until you top up the account to 800k baht for the next extension.

I stand corrected. You do indeed need 400k in the bank at all times then.

Perception is reality my friend. I also know people that have either visited regularly and no longer intend to do so or, have lived here for some years and find they are no longer happy. In both cases I feel it is more to do with them in their 'current state' than Thailand's fault. Although for many the strong Thai Baht is making a negative difference to their chosen lifestyles, that I can understand. I really can't see returning to the UK being the answer though. I visit often for family and business and was there recently a little longer than normal, and I really found I couldn't wait to get out!

Each to their own.

6 minutes ago, jinners said:

so for 7 of the 12 months you must have 800k in the account?

I travel in and out of the country often enough not to need extensions to stay , so I dont have first hand experience. But I think it is the opposite. UdonJoe on post # 95 said and i quote " Since March 1st those applying for extensions based upon retirement are required to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months before the application and 3 months after. Then after the 3 months it can be lowered to 400k baht until you top up the account to 800k baht for the next extension."

So if I understand this correctly  for 5 months (2 before and 3 after) you need 800k and for the rest 7 all you need is 400k 

15 minutes ago, jinners said:

Perception is reality my friend. I also know people that have either visited regularly and no longer intend to do so or, have lived here for some years and find they are no longer happy. In both cases I feel it is more to do with them in their 'current state' than Thailand's fault. Although for many the strong Thai Baht is making a negative difference to their chosen lifestyles, that I can understand. I really can't see returning to the UK being the answer though. I visit often for family and business and was there recently a little longer than normal, and I really found I couldn't wait to get out!

Each to their own.

The problem is not with Thailand, I don't think it is unreasonable for Thailand to require a certain income to retire there. The problem is with the embassies not certifying incomes. and I don't understand why?  In the case of Social security it is a very simple process to check , I do it in two seconds on line. It has being said "privacy issues" BS you can waive privacy issues when you apply for the income certificate, in fact the application can be a defacto waiver. For other streams of income a certified tax return should be sufficient, IMO if it is sufficient for a bank to lend you  thousands of dollars, it should be sufficient for the Thai government to  give you an extension to stay.

IMO the whole thing is ridiculous.

I hope I never have to go home to the UK for health or financial reasons and be forced to live in the (rented out) bolthole I purchased before I left as 'insurance'. The thought of climbing 4 stories with no lift, to live (alone) in a small cold flat fills me with dread.

20 years ago I had traveled to many countries for holidays and then after being made redundant twice from 2 good jobs in 2002 spurred me to leave. I sold eveything and took a job in one of the less touristy parts of China. I'd never been to China or anywhere in Asia in all my travels and I marvelled at how comfortable I felt there. I knew then I'd retire somewhere in Asia. I am more tied to Thailand now but before here, I'd lived 5 years in Cambodia. I reckon I could adapt to anywhere in SE Asia.

I do wonder at the mental state of some of the posters in TV, I frequently get a vision of Monty Burns behind his desk with his bony finger poised above the button that sets the dogs on visitors. I rarely post as it seems no matter what the topic there is some crusty (or not so crusty) who can deliberately or not, launch into a wave of negativity. If you feel you could be happy and have the wherewithall to return, do it, but I personally intend to try everything to avoid it.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:56 PM, Ron jeremy said:

It's quite sad to hear from people that their home country, the U.K. Is a <deleted>hole. So many refer to it this way. I'm glad I come from a different country, I have no reason to escape, perhaps for the winters, but that's all. And happy to return to a great place to live.

so sad to hear the negativity about the UK all the time.

There's a lot to be negative about: mass immigration,  the ethnic cleansing of many once white working class communities, rising crime, violent crime, low wages, high house prices, an ineffective police force, political brainwashing in schools,  many taxes including a TV tax, the inexorable growth of hard line islam and sharia law, the war on English history and culture,  the decline in social services, the growth of gangs using knives and acid, the continued corrupt drug laws, the burgeoning beurocracies interferring in citizens lives with a whole new layer of paid touts, bullies and enforcers, the mass surveillance of citizens by an inefficient and corrupt police force, a political class who despise the electorate and make it quite clear, and plenty more...The UK is a dump fit for third world wage slaves escaping from their self made hell holes. Nobody who has seen the world and has half a brain chooses to live in the UK except the frightened, the defeated, the powerless and or impoverished.

21 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Nobody who has seen the world and has half a brain chooses to live in the UK except the frightened, the defeated, the powerless and or impoverished.

What a load of tosh - makes for good reading though...........

On 10/4/2019 at 1:31 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Nobody who has seen the world and has half a brain chooses to live in the UK except the frightened, the defeated, the powerless and or impoverished.

Its a much better standard of living in the UK, than many other countries .

If you need to leave the UK and move to the third world to get a better standard of living, that says alot about your UK life 

On 9/28/2019 at 11:41 AM, Tomahawk21 said:

you prefer the term young ladies ? ????

There are many on this forum who due to a combination of sexual repression, hypocrisy and a twisted moral agenda prefer the word 'prostitute'. They seek to demean the beautiful butterfly girls of the 'demi monde' to quote the night owl. I am not one of them and I regard the girls most highly. The most saddest and depressed expats are the ones who dont indulge in whats is one of the main benefits of living in Thailand: the girls.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its a much better standard of living in the UK, than many other countries .

If you need to leave the UK and move to the third world to get a better standard of living, that says alot about your UK life 

It depends how you define quality of life.  In the UK you have to live with your mother but I own my own place in London. I dont have to work in the UK. However, I prefer Thailand where I rent a big condo with a gym and swimming pool, can have a pretty girl on a regular basis and can go out safely any time of day or night for a drink and a bite to eat. The latter is my idea of a better standard of life.

14 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

It depends how you define quality of life.  In the UK you have to live with your mother but I own my own place in London. I dont have to work in the UK. However, I prefer Thailand where I rent a big condo with a gym and swimming pool, can have a pretty girl on a regular basis and can go out safely any time of day or night for a drink and a bite to eat. The latter is my idea of a better standard of life.

I also own my own place in London  , a three bedroomed place if the affluent area and where I live is quite safe .

There are also pretty girls in London  , but, maybe out your league ?  

15 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There are many on this forum who due to a combination of sexual repression, hypocrisy and a twisted moral agenda prefer the word 'prostitute'. They seek to demean the beautiful butterfly girls of the 'demi monde' to quote the night owl. I am not one of them and I regard the girls most highly. The most saddest and depressed expats are the ones who dont indulge in whats is one of the main benefits of living in Thailand: the girls.

Prostitute is what they are and what they do .

You need to face the truth and the reality .

Its not a case of preferring any word, its calling things by their real name .

From my observations, the saddest ex-pats are the ones siutting on their oiwn ijh bars, looking sad and lonely and two prostitutes sat next to him, trying to chat to him and cheer him up . 

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

From my observations, the saddest ex-pats are the ones siutting on their oiwn ijh bars, looking sad and lonely and two prostitutes sat next to him, trying to chat to him and cheer him up . 

Great post, yes sad to see the likes of people ( sunny boy) who's life revolves around prostitutes. Don't have the game to get a legit lady, as so many are available in Asia.

On 9/30/2019 at 2:32 PM, sirineou said:

I travel in and out of the country often enough not to need extensions to stay , so I dont have first hand experience. But I think it is the opposite. UdonJoe on post # 95 said and i quote " Since March 1st those applying for extensions based upon retirement are required to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months before the application and 3 months after. Then after the 3 months it can be lowered to 400k baht until you top up the account to 800k baht for the next extension."

So if I understand this correctly  for 5 months (2 before and 3 after) you need 800k and for the rest 7 all you need is 400k 

Yes for those 5 months you need 800k. But then when you have to show the proof of 800k again it must show as being in an account for 2 months prior. Hence the 7.

On 9/28/2019 at 3:30 PM, lanng khao said:

I've just picked up£1450 for a weeks work as a bricklayer, what a country, Rule britania...... 

I hope you paid all your tax. Your council tax, tv licence, etc, etc. that will

probably leave you about 800 GBP before you even pay for your food 

and transport. ????

On 9/27/2019 at 5:04 AM, Thaiwrath said:

Then I visit Thaivisa, and see numerous topics starting by people who lived here, appeared to enjoy it, and have now returned home, for whatever reason, and criticise the Thailand they once liked, at every opportunity !

I do keep wondering who is telling the truth, my friends who have lived in their own country all their life, and don't have many good things to say about the place, or the returners, who now think that back home, the place they chose to leave, is the best place in the world, and cannot fault it, which makes you wonder why they left in the first place !

It's possible to not live in Thailand because one can't satisfy retirement requirements, not because one likes the home country better.

Only a <deleted> thinks LOS is perfect. Pointing out bad things about LOS does not mean one doesn't like the place.

There is no universal truth. Liking a place comes down to many individual things, and there are as many opinions as there are farangs.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:31 AM, sanemax said:

There are also pretty girls in London  , but, maybe out your league ?  

Pretty girls in London only have sex with really rich old guys, or famous ones. They don't have sex with fat old men that live in bedsits.

Thailand still wins on the "pretty girls will go with fat old men" category.

Pretty girls always get paid, one way or another.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:27 AM, Ron jeremy said:

Great post, yes sad to see the likes of people ( sunny boy) who's life revolves around prostitutes. Don't have the game to get a legit lady, as so many are available in Asia.

I don't have the youth or looks to get a legit lady.

Even Roosh, the guru of game, found he couldn't 'game' a free one any more when he reached 40 years old.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:31 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Agreed, it's hard to get laid in the UK on a regular basis.

Brit ladies just don't seem to want sex all that much, you'd need to keep a stable of them to get it 3x a week.

I was married and lived in London, loads of money, and even then was lucky to get it once a month.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:38 PM, sanemax said:

They are not trying to cheer him up, they are trying to get him to spend his money on them.

Sadly, there are many expats who came here expecting something they didn't find, and most of the unhappy ones would be unhappy wherever they happened to be. The UK and Thailand cannot be compared, a totally different league imho, I would rather shuffle off this mortal coil than go back to that place.

The gripers will always be gripers, and as for telling the truth, it matters only that you are truthful to yourself. 

Archived