Who is telling the truth ?

Thaiwrath

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The hatred directed at me by white women in general for being single and old, the cold and the cold rain, the expense of having my own transport (bicycle excluded).

Not bothered about healthcare, I wasn't sick.

Not bothered about welfare, I didn't need it.

The roads weren't all that safe for cyclists, too dark and wet a lot of the time.

Your first line... A few times when Thai women young to my age (74) hear my Thai wife has already passed I've quickly received comments, 'but you must have someone to take care f you' with an obvious purpose. Or 'aren't you cold in bed' with an obvious purpose.

When I have replied 'i'm fine thank you' and very deliberately and quickly change the subject, it's mostly accepted, but a few times i've received 'your not fair to Thai ladies who want a husband', or similar. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst thing for me about back home is how expensive it is to live there. The worst thing I find about Thailand are the drivers. I used to enjoy driving but here in Thailand the local citizens have taken all the joy out of it. Then too living under a dictatorship where I have zero rights is no joy either. If I could sell my house, I’d be gone before you could say Rumplestiltskin.

I returned to the UK last year after 20 years in Thailand. Moved there at 33, working offshore in the oil industry, moved back last year at 53.

I'm still ok for money/savings, but in the longer term I'd run out of money, have insufficient to live in Thailand, and insufficient to come back to the UK. (An old friend hanged himself some years ago in Khon Kaen, I think lack of money was probably at the root of that).

I've had some old friends who're in their 70's and have moved back to the UK in recent years, I think healthcare was a factor in all cases.

I loved Thailand like my home, as it was. I'm not bitter at all about my time there. Yes, I'd would like to have spent the rest of my life there, but that would've needed a lottery win!

37 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

The worst thing for me about back home is how expensive it is to live there. The worst thing I find about Thailand are the drivers. I used to enjoy driving but here in Thailand the local citizens have taken all the joy out of it. Then too living under a dictatorship where I have zero rights is no joy either. If I could sell my house, I’d be gone before you could say Rumplestiltskin.

I moved back to the UK from Bangkok last year. My rent (not London) is about the same as in BKK. supermarket spend about half of what it was in BKK (never ate much Thai food).

Booze prices the same or cheaper (Wetherspoons!).

Free healthcare.

When only having been here for holidays, the romance is still on, then Thailand seems like heaven on earth.
The longer you live here, the more you find out, few actually stay and keep saying to like it. Most I see arriving leave within 2-5 years (any age groups).

But for sure rather a winter here than in the UK, other seasons, really depends what you are up and about. 
I guess, if one doesn't know too much yet, it be perfect to only visit Thailand 3 months at the time. More likely to stay fun that way, less annoying etc.

44 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Thailand has changed for the worse. I think this is an absolute, indisputable fact.

The dangers of generalisations.  When I first came here, foreigners couldn't buy condos, and Thai women married to foreigners couldn't even buy land.  The exchange rates were far worse than they are now.  If you wanted to get about in Bangkok you had a choice of being stuck in traffic in a beaten up taxi or stuck in traffic in a bus.  Foreign food was limited in choice, English language movies restricted to pirated VHS tapes, and keeping up with English language news meant buying a Bangkok Post or Nation to read what happened yesterday, or listening to a short wave radio.  Never the less, I chose to live and work here, because the advantages for me far outweighed the drawbacks.  Now, although some things have indeed changed for the worse - though the majority of those that have would be just as applicable elsewhere, I weigh up the things that have improved, including everything I listed above, and my own personal circumstances, and find the scales still tilt heavily in Thailand's favour.  Thailand has changed, but not only for the worse.

12 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

The dangers of generalisations.  When I first came here, foreigners couldn't buy condos, and Thai women married to foreigners couldn't even buy land.  The exchange rates were far worse than they are now.  If you wanted to get about in Bangkok you had a choice of being stuck in traffic in a beaten up taxi or stuck in traffic in a bus.  Foreign food was limited in choice, English language movies restricted to pirated VHS tapes, and keeping up with English language news meant buying a Bangkok Post or Nation to read what happened yesterday, or listening to a short wave radio.  Never the less, I chose to live and work here, because the advantages for me far outweighed the drawbacks.  Now, although some things have indeed changed for the worse - though the majority of those that have would be just as applicable elsewhere, I weigh up the things that have improved, including everything I listed above, and my own personal circumstances, and find the scales still tilt heavily in Thailand's favour.  Thailand has changed, but not only for the worse.

1. First, generalizing? I made 20 specific points?!

2. Yeah, it's called progress. Even in this venal, corrupt nation there is a modicum of expectations. The infrastructure still absolutely SUCKS. 10 million people.

I was there too bro. Still have my (3rd) short-wave. But glad your no longer watching VHS tapes.

TVF has some good visa information, travel, car and health care information. But it is dominated by angry, sad, or broke old men who blame all their money issues on other people or countries or ....  you also have a group that simply like to complain but held no leadership responsibilities in the world.

For new friends coming here i hope they understand most of the bs griping on TVF is from people who have some mental impairment, never learned thai language, never drive in Thailand, no retirement savings,  have almost no Thai friends and have not traveled outside their TVF bubble. Yet they are experts in everything except reality. Peace ???? 

On 9/26/2019 at 7:25 PM, sanemax said:

Which posters have actually said that though ?

Or it you make that quote up, attribute that made up quote to non existent people and then accuse those non existent people of lying ?

The first post from Max that I actually agree with. The people that have decided to return to their own country are doing so mostly because of the changes made by the Government and the stronger Baht. It's not about hating either Thailand or Thais. The new immigration rules look designed to deter foreigners from coming here ... I don't blame them for leaving.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:19 AM, sanemax said:

Its nothing to do with luck , you are just a very nice person and you get treated nice in return 

I do not challenge this, Sanemax, but there are things that change the way we are treated. Oh, I am not talking about reacting but rather voting with our feet. For the 1st time in 8 years the agency I use was unsure how CM Immigration would rule as 1 month out of 12 was below the 65K required. That and I confess the new CM  Immigration demand for in country travel TM30s when just returning to the home address already on file ... Well, it does grate on me being treated as someone needing surveillance (this latter point I also react to coming back into my own country).

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I went back 2016-2018, didn't post once on TV during that time.

Didn't have much fun either, and was alone in bed every night, and alone every day.

Spent almost all my income on a bedsit.

Back here, I have a younger woman in my bed every night, and my kids around me all the time.

I have nothing to do with Thais, Thai food, or Thai culture, just live quietly in my house with my gf and kids.

Not saying Thailand is all that great, also like Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines.

Housing is just too expensive in the UK for any other comparisons to be worth making.

But yeah, the UK might be a great place if you have parents or siblings to bludge a place to live off.

I agree that if you have a nice place to stay in the UK that leaves a reasonable disposable income, that is a major factor. If you do have such a place to stay I would say the +&- aspects of each place almost balance out, and October through to April Thailand is a good place to be, but May to Sept I think the UK is a nice place to be.

There just seems to have been a atmosphere of future uncertainty of access to Thailand developing recently, from what I've read. I've not had any negative personal experience with Thailand officialdom so far, and I hope it will stay that way.

"I know Thailand has changed, as has the whole world, and more importantly WE as people have also changed, but if I ever have to leave here, for whatever reason, I can't see myself being bitter about Thailand, but would rather be thankful for having so many years of my life here, and have many memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life."

I feel almost the same as you, but I'd still curse the present govt for ruining the dream which I had for many years, and the reality I've had this past 12 years living here. The change in that time is astonishing. I am though sticking it out because I too like waking to the hot weather and having a Thai wife and stepdaughter makes leaving unthinkable. If I was single I'd be long gone, but to somewhere else warm.

Different people have different needs/wants. As to the truth I pay more store in my own experience and that of well know friends.

Several British friends have made the move back to the UK, in some cases taking a part of Thailand with them, their wive.

None had any financial issues, contrary to what some state on here that the only reason for going "home' is you have run out of money.

100 % false but it obviously makes some feel better to think that. Some sad posters here.

All the Thai wives have adapted well and like the UK.

In fact hardly want to return to Thailand even for a holiday.

That speaks volumes.

Fair bit of UK bashing on this thread, par for the course here.

I do not like the British winters I will freely admit but other than that, reasonably decent place ( depending on area of course )

Plenty of alternatives to Thailand with an overall better climate.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:56 PM, Ron jeremy said:

It's quite sad to hear from people that their home country, the U.K. Is a <deleted>hole. So many refer to it this way. I'm glad I come from a different country, I have no reason to escape, perhaps for the winters, but that's all. And happy to return to a great place to live.

so sad to hear the negativity about the UK all the time.

I have read some his previous comments on threads, seems to have very negative views about the UK. I find some of them fairly irrational but that's his view and he's perfectly entitled to it.

I would think most forum members here do not share that level of negativity, though. You've probably picked up from this forum the British trait amongst some to run down their country at every opportunity, which isn't so prevelant amongst other nationalities. Best to stay away if that's the way a person truly feels, though what happens when they run low on funds, income-earning opportunities or need costly healthcare....

At present, I live in Thailand 4 months of the year and work the rest of the year in the UK, near London. Have a Thai fiancee. I have a fairly balanced view of the pro and cons, I feel, and I would say the UK is far from being a "sh_ithole". Yes, it has plenty of problems but who doesn't? It's afforded me a decent lifestyle and career opportunities. I love spending time in Thailand but it isn't nirvana. Even the weather comparison is a little tiresome...I love the Thai sunshine but it isn't like that every month. Yes, October - April is not the best in northern Europe but I much prefer British summer months over the equivalent hot and rainy ones in Thailand. Fiancee prefers them too, FWIW. 

So...for me...I'm looking to continue the split location strategy to experience the best of both. Particularly so given the way Thailand has moved in recent years politically and visa-wise.

16 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:

You are comparing people that have lived here for years and then left to your friends that come over for a few weeks and then leave....It is not remotely similar.  Everyone loves a place when they just spend a few weeks it is only when you live in a place that you truly see how it really is. 

Nail on head.

Your needs change as you age. I was happy growing up in small town America, but then in 1965 I read about California and hit the beach for the next 22 years. The following 22 were with my family high in the mountains to escape the traffic and crowds. A small town or 5,000 with a nice lake. Then a mid-life crisis brought me to Thailand in 1998. I eventually found a quiet neighborhood that captures the ocean breezes, but is a short jump to the nightlife if I should decide to partake. Perfect for me. For now.

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

No more embassy letter and the pound taking a dump seem to be the main causes. Being 70+ without money in savings is very sad.

Sad? Where's your sense of adventure? Every good story starts out: "A poor man arrived on the shores of ..."

I came here in 2004. Intention was to stay for one year to see if retirement in Bangkok would be an option. My husband continued working in Cambodia. He retired in 2014, joined me in Bangkok. We have been considering to return to Europe, had a 6 month holiday in Austria last year, enjoyed the super summer, swimming in the lakes, food etc. Then autumn started and we were happy to fly out on 1 Nov.

It had become cold, grey sky, short days. We missed easy access to a gym, weather plus small conveniences like just hailing a taxi, frequent BTS if needed instead of waiting for a bus in the cold and rain. A big plus for Thailand is easy access to medical service instead of waiting weeks for an appointment.

Life here is easygoing, cheerful faces, helpful people, no aggression.

All adds to a pleasant life which keeps you young at heart and mind. If you can afford to stay, stay in Thailand. 

Usually when the conversations jump to negative side I skip from page 2 to the last page to see the outcome of war or words... I read all this time...

i was fortunate to visit UK (I’m from US) beautiful country enjoyed

it. I was there for a friends wedding and he organized a tour for all

his friends that came to wish he and his bride the best! 

Personally it’s puzzling when people who disenchanted hate where they came from of where they are. If your happy Great! If not go find happiness. 

Every country has has its challenges sometimes and it part of life. 

Don’t let the bumps in the road ruin your happiness. 

Think about the root cause then base your opinion. Been here 

almost 4 years now and can’t complain... different strokes for different folks.

<deleted>holes is that like an outhouse..... Enjoy the day 

On 9/27/2019 at 3:34 AM, luckyluke said:

Since 2000 here in Thailand permanently. 

No really problems here. Being Belgian, I have an extention based on income in my homeland, so no need of money on a Thai bankbook, no need of monthly transfers of 65000 monthly.

I transfer from Belgium how much I want, when I want.

I do my 90 days online, TM30 is done by management of the place I stay. 

But now at 71, I start to miss my country, my grandchildren. 

On 31 October I go for 2 months to Belgium. 

Will see the outcome, I may maybe go back for 2 times 3 month a year, or more or less. 

I think people have become more bitter since the embassies stopped giving out income affidavits. It has made life a little harder on many. It has changed a lot of attitudes toward Thai Immigration and the government. "Just my 2 baht worth".

On 9/27/2019 at 12:08 AM, ThePioneer said:

The grass is, and always has been, greener at the other side of the fence

In my case that would be the main reason to return to the UK as I wouldn't have so much grass to cut.

The grass IS greener in Thailand but the damn stuff grows so quickly and thickly I struggle to keep it cut down for an hour a day 5 days a week.

16 hours ago, Wake Up said:

TVF has some good visa information, travel, car and health care information. But it is dominated by angry, sad, or broke old men who blame all their money issues on other people or countries or ....  you also have a group that simply like to complain but held no leadership responsibilities in the world.

For new friends coming here i hope they understand most of the bs griping on TVF is from people who have some mental impairment, never learned thai language, never drive in Thailand, no retirement savings,  have almost no Thai friends and have not traveled outside their TVF bubble. Yet they are experts in everything except reality. Peace ???? 

OOOOOOOOOOOOh! You're gonna hear it now.

This is an entirely subjective topic, of course. But some of us live very good lives here. Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstanding woman, who is delightful to be around, on a daily basis, always has our back, and is fun, smart, and lovely. For me, the likelihood of finding that back in the US, would be very low. So, that is a big factor for me. The second factor is just the quality of life. Sure, I miss alot of the culture back home. The theatre, independent film (which I can download here with no issues at all, and a super fast 180mbps fiber optic connection, at under 800 baht per month!), stand up comedy, live jazz, etc. But I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation that I had to when I lived back there. Not to mention the police state that the US has largely become. I would not want to move back there, unless I was either being paid a million dollars a year, or the situation was dire. 

Sure, Thailand has changed. My first trip here was in 1976! It was so much different than now. The politics here are absolutely regressive. The army is horrendous. Will that ever improve? I think so. I think the youth will eventually oust them, as they are virtually useless to Thai society, with the exception of protecting the elite, those in power and the super wealthy. But alot of things here have improved since then. The infrastructure here is quite good. Sure they could use a high speed rail. That would be amazing. Hopefully it will happen. 

The whole world is different now. The whole planet is being affected by a greatly expanding population, inflation, environmental issues, politics, and congestion. So, we are going to experience some of that no matter where we are. All I know, is that every day I wake up, I am very glad to be here, very glad to be with the woman I am with, and thankful for my life which I find fulfilling. Would I feel the same way in the US? I seriously doubt it. Most of my friends back in the US, say they would trade positions with me, in a heartbeat, if they could. I believe them. And I feel for them. The quality of life where I came from is a pale shadow of what it used to be. No thanks. 

There is one more consideration. No matter where we go, we still have to contend with ourselves, our attitudes, our issues and our minds. So, some will always be seeking greener pastures. Nothing wrong with that. But, it does not insure fulfillment. 

Archived