Watch for friends at risk of suicide, Mental Health Dept asks

snoop1130

Watch for friends at risk of suicide, Mental Health Dept asks

By The Nation

800_7957dfab63abcd5.jpg

Department of Mental Health Director-General Kiattiphum Wongrajit

The Department of Mental Health, worried over a rise in suicide cases to about 11-12 cases daily or 345 cases per month, is asking people to watch for the five signs of suicide risk and to take quick action to save a friend from suicide.

Department Director-General Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit said frequent news reporting of suicide that includes too much detail about the method of dying is among the contributing factors as it encourages copycat suicides.

Thailand’s suicide rate is at 6.34 per 100,000 population, he said. Last year, 4,137 Thai people (3,327 males and 810 females) suicided. Some 74.7 per cent of them were of working age (25-59 years old) followed by those over age 60 (22.1 per cent) and youths aged 10-24 (3.2 per cent), he said.

Most suicides – 48.7 per cent – stemmed from relationship problems such as feelings of inferiority or of being slighted due to a scolding or argument with loved ones. Next was jealousy at 22.9 per cent, followed by unmet needs to be cared for at 8.36 per cent, the director-general said.

Alcohol and drug abuse were involved in many cases, with drinking problems connected to 19.6 per cent of suicides, including 6 per cent of people self-inflicting while intoxicated.

Mental health issues also at played a role in many cases, he said, with 7.47 per cent of suicides traced to people suffering from mental illness, and 6.54 per cent suffering from depression. Of those with mental illness, 12 per cent had a previous record of self-harm, he added.

Kiattiphum urged people to be vigilant for signs of suicide risk among their friends and close ones, such as being sad, bored or reclusive, having insomnia, negative thoughts about things or posting a message on social media suggesting they were leaving, such as “thank you”, “sorry”, or “goodbye”. Expressing a death wish or that they no longer wished to continue living, or feelings of hopelessness about their lives are also warning signs.

He suggested that people who notice a friend at risk of suicide risk reach out to offer that friend their sympathetic ear and allow the friend to talk about his/her feelings without criticising or scolding him/her.

He also urged people to advise a friend they deem at risk suicide to seek help from the Mental Health Department’s hotline 1323. Alternatively, they could suggest a call to the Samaritan hotline 02-713-6793 from noon to 10pm,  a use of the “Sabaijai” smartphone application, or a visit to a hospital or a consultation clinic.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376818

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-27

One of SWMBO advisee students attempted or half attempted suicide this morning, slashed her wrists but luckily another student came across her in time and get the necessary help. 

Resonably easy to work out why, when the mother was contacted the first response was, "why did I have such an evil child" - and it didn't improve from there - wow, so caring and concerned. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

they should make it legal to  kill  yourself  humanely............but that aint  going to  happen sadly. instead youll get half  dead  people  like one i saw  recently who  jumped of an 8th  floor  building in the UK, didnt die for a  few  days. Should be legal worldwide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I must say...a very accurate description of the symptoms, causes and remedies...that could possibly be applied  to one in need of help.

I remember a friend of mine once talking about the importance of giving our 100% focus and attention to another when a friend may need a shoulder to lean on...or someone to listen to them (like not looking at the ladies while he's in the middle of his story, etc.,).

He trailed off his narrative to me by half asking me and himself..."The problem is ...who listens to the listener" ?

Fully agree......from personal experience it's pretty much spot on. Things just happen to combat Marines few understand.

I agree and can say so from personal experience. As and Iraq war vet, survivors guilt and depression is a real thing. I admit I was once weak. I planned an exit and started giving away all of my stuff and then.....said sorry and thanked everyone for everything. A vet from the VA took notice and......well moved in for a while to help me work through it.  Brother's for life..........All Marines are.

So yeah......put this info into your memory bank and to those haters of the article........get a heart.

7 hours ago, legend49 said:

Another waste of oxygen ; he is of no help. I worked for Lifeline Suicide Group for 10 years. You need trained counselors, easy access to these people and  campaigns on explaining why people do it so maybe families understand and help. The ones who always say they will do it are mainly attention seekers, its the silent sufferers who take that big step to end it all.

you are contradicting yourself, silent sufferers do not ask for help which is why 

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Kiattiphum urged people to be vigilant for signs of suicide risk among their friends and close ones, such as being sad, bored or reclusive, having insomnia, negative thoughts about things or posting a message on social media suggesting they were leaving, such as “thank you”, “sorry”, or “goodbye”. Expressing a death wish or that they no longer wished to continue living, or feelings of hopelessness about their lives are also warning signs.

He suggested that people who notice a friend at risk of suicide risk reach out to offer that friend their sympathetic ear and allow the friend to talk about his/her feelings without criticising or scolding him/her.

He also urged people to advise a friend they deem at risk suicide to seek help from the Mental Health Department’s hotline 1323. Alternatively, they could suggest a call to the Samaritan hotline 02-713-6793 from noon to 10pm,  a use of the “Sabaijai” smartphone application, or a visit to a hospital or a consultation clinic.

Is that what the Samaritans and other such organisations do? to offer their sympathetic ear and allow the friend to talk about his/her feelings without criticising or scolding him/her.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chazar said:

at least HE spoke to them

Which is exactly what the doctor is urging people to do. Pay attention to people close to you and offer them help if they seem to need it.

Ive  often been  like  that, doesnt mean Im going to  kill myself.

No one is claiming that. He's pointing them out as possible signs of something being wrong, and he is absolutely right in doing so.

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I know this is a serious issue but his percentages add up to 113.57%. 

They don't, read again.

they should make it legal to  kill  yourself  humanely.....

It may be illegal, but at the end of the day, they can't put you in jail after you killed yourself and there are many option available to do it humanely without risk of harming others.

Peaceful exit is the keyword to google.

That said, which such an increase in suicides, the words of a certain ex general that the Thai people are happier than ever must be true.