Moment of truth coming for Brexit with time running out, EU and Britain say

rooster59

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Now you still imagining that the UK is country that actually makes things. Thatcher got rid of all that. Now we make most of out money from finance and other invisibles. Most of that will evaporate post a no deal brexit as UK firms will be unable to work in the EU due to being no longer licenced. 

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s plan is that we will be the new British Virgin Isles, free from the inquisitive purview of those who would hamper our money-laundering industry.

If that’s not the industry where you work, you might consider some dramatic reskilling

Britain as an offshore tax haven, a low wage, low tax, regulation free, workers rights free, NHS free,  paradise for spivs, Tories and others. The ordinary working man will end up like the guest workers in Doha or Abu Dhabi. It is beyond belief that many of them voted on the basis of sovereignty, taking back control, and Immigration. Ironically Boris's plans will make them feel like immigrants in what they call "Their own country".

What is it all about - money of course - the hedge fund managers are shorting sterling all the time, Boris's little gift to them. These are the people who will be in control, not ordinary folk. We was gubbed!

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 20.43.27.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You’re not a very good bully.  If you want to bully people, you have to hurt them first, see how they react, and then threaten them.

The EU will do fine without us; some companies may suffer, some belts may be tightened, their policies may change against what we would have liked, but they will go on.

We will be faced with a loss of any influence in our second-biggest market, after our domestic market.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, no pain without gain, strength through adversity, strength through joy, eh?

The eu will do fine without us?how long do you honestly think the eu will last once we leave?can,t see the French and German taxpayers contributing more,nor all the banana republics they let in.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Just get out, Boris, do your thing then fire all the tossers in Parliament who opposed you ! (that,s what Donald would do !).

Business wise, any well made product put out at a reasonable price is going to attract customers, who are interested in value for money, not politics ????

Which is why there is no British owned car industry, but you are right, Mercedes and BMW will still sell cars in the UK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

It has been stated elsewhere (by the EU) that a trade deal could be implemented extremely quickly if UK fulfills it's obligation in full by severing all contact and negotiating as an truly independent state rather than one with an elastic band around it's gonads.

Stated where?

Or is this yet another of your 'facts' which you can't substantiate?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kingdong said:

The eu will do fine without us?how long do you honestly think the eu will last once we leave?can,t see the French and German taxpayers contributing more,nor all the banana republics they let in.

you sound like an expat in Thailand, the country will go broke without us retirees. The Uk is a net contributor but a lot of money also flowed back, Cornwall and Wales will miss the EU money as will Scotland and some parts of Northern England.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

There might have been a bit more progress if parliament had stayed prorogued after all. All they've done since they came back to the benches is sling ???? at each other! 

With Johnson and Cox doing most of the slinging!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Boris needs to forget his Brexit bungling and blustering fiasco and get used to the feel of a pair of handcuffs as he enters Police Cells

You're going down Bozo big style and not if but when

And what will the police charge him with........Being found in possession of a dodgy haircut?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Libai said:

<snip>

Both Conservative and Labour MPs were elected on manifesto commitments to implement Brexit with-or-without a deal. Those parties plus the DUP gained 85% of the votes in the 2017 election.

In 2017 only the Tories said they would "implement Brexit with or without a deal." Labour said 

Labour recognises that leaving the EU with ‘no deal’ is the worst possible deal for Britain and that it would do damage to our economy and trade. We will reject ‘no deal’ as a viable option and if needs be negotiate transitional arrangements to avoid a cliff-edge’ for the economy. 

That's from Labour's manifesto (page 24).

For a brief summery of the other parties position, see under "Brexit" at General election 2017: Manifesto guide on where the parties stand.

The Tories achieved just 42.4% of the vote (source).

Which means that 57.6% of voters voted for parties who said that they would not leave without a deal.

I thought Brexiteers believed in democracy?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

You’ve obviously not been involved in drafting European standards.  The ones I have to deal with have British footprints all over them. At the moment.

To be expected given they're in English & relying on Common law; or at least were until the supreme court torpedoed it last week.

Do tell.

How did the Supreme Court torpedo such standards?

Can you tell us how the Supreme Court blocked Brexit while you're at it?

Hint; the answer to both questions is "They didn't!"

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Sorry.

Looking back at the last 3 years of UK policy, the question can comprehensibly arises, who acts like a banana republic.

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Now you still imagining that the UK is country that actually makes things. Thatcher got rid of all that. Now we make most of out money from finance and other invisibles. Most of that will evaporate post a no deal brexit as UK firms will be unable to work in the EU due to being no longer licenced. 

You and Jacob Rees-Mogg believe that our industrial nation is worth nothing, and that we are no more than a financial coin-op laundromat.  But that is not true.  Our engineering and manufacturing industry is thriving, as a supplier to our neighbours in the EU, and on the back of international inward investment that finds the UK the best-placed location for manufacturing in the EU.  

Anyway, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, and the loss of skilled jobs, manufacturing and physical exports is a small price to pay if we can avoid financial scrutiny of our trade deals, apparently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Sorry.

Looking back at the last 3 years of UK policy, the question can comprehensibly arises, who acts like a banana republic.

If you're having a go at the Kingdom of Fyffes I'm going to have to ask you to step outside

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

Evading the question again. As expected.

Will you ever produce anything to substantiate the opinions you are so very fond of posting facts? 

Maybe one day you'll even explain what the 'right said fred' route is; are you trying to shift a piano?

Or do you have an unhealthy obsession with your own body image?

It's the 'I'm still waiting for...' from you each time (that I envisage being set to that tune????

(It's called humour. If you dont like it or can't take it why keep setting yourself up?)

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Stated where?

Or is this yet another of your 'facts' which you can't substantiate?

We could implement a trade deal very quickly, if it looked like Theresa May's withdrawal agreement.  

We could prevent a deal ever being agreed, if we so chose, whichever suited our own personal agenda better.

In an ideal world, we would have voted for a party and prime minister to carry out these negotiations on our behalf, but instead, the Tories have chosen an outrageous charlatan as the face of the UK and the head of their miniority government.  If only they had any friends in parliament.  Or anywhere.

At least it's stopped Brexit.  Good job, Boris.  You've done what May could not.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

you sound like an expat in Thailand, the country will go broke without us retirees. The Uk is a net contributor but a lot of money also flowed back, Cornwall and Wales will miss the EU money as will Scotland and some parts of Northern England.

The biggest impact will be on the gdp of the UK. When the advantage of free market access breaks away.

Exchange rate technically, the British pound has already slipped off fat to all other major currencies. The big international corporations, which are mass-market oriented, will gradually shift their capacities whether for physical or non-physical products. 

15 minutes ago, evadgib said:

It's the 'I'm still waiting for...' from you each time (that I envisage being set to that tune????

(It's called humour. If you dont like it or can't take it why keep setting yourself up?)

Humour?

Well, it is something which is almost, but not quite, totally unlike humour!

Still, your attempts do get you lot's of likes from your mates; which must make you happy.

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The biggest impact will be on the gdp of the UK. When the advantage of free market access breaks away.

Exchange rate technically, the British pound has already slipped off fat to all other major currencies. The big international corporations, which are mass-market oriented, will gradually shift their capacities whether for physical or non-physical products. 

They'll want to keep their bases in the UK for the sake of Britannia and Queen Victoria.  Tariffs are a small price to pay if you can maintain an office in the shadow of the Liver Bird, or Victoria Station.  So long as our football teams can play in Europe, there will be an opportunity for those that can turn Nelson's eye to the source of funds

OK, your football teams.  Nobody's going to waste money laundering it through Scottish football after the debacle at Hearts

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Humour?

Well, it is something which is almost, but not quite, totally unlike humour!

Still, your attempts do get you lot's of likes from your mates; which must make you happy.

In that case please stick me on your iggy list & resist the urge to bait further posts.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Just now, evadgib said:

Faux outrage simply because i'm a B-B-Brexiter?

I had hoped the boards were past all that. I guess I'll have to wait another month.

Faux outrage?  I just asked a simple question.

Who said that your comment was humourous?  I would be grateful for the pointer.

My own sense of humour is sadly lacking, after my country was betrayed by right-wing buffoons who seem closer to splitting my country up than separating it from Europe; who seem closer to destroying our proud British institutions than divorcing them from our European friends and neighbours.  

Please try and help me see the jolly side, because I am struggling

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

My own sense of humour is sadly lacking, after my country was betrayed by right-wing buffoons who seem closer to splitting my country up than separating it from Europe; who seem closer to destroying our proud British institutions than divorcing them from our European friends and neighbours.  

#58 refers

Edited by evadgib

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

The only answer you will get is: For our independence. Then you'll hear something about the UK fishery, and that's it.

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

In that case please stick me on your iggy list & resist the urge to bait further posts.

I don't believe in ignoring members whose opinions I don't share.

We all post opinions, but only a few, you included, pretend their opinions are fact.

That you consider asking you for the source of your 'facts' is baiting says a lot about you.

• Like 2