GRAB car policy change on picking up passengers?

orchidlady

I booked a GRAB car (not a taxi) as I have done for past couple of years mid-week around 1 pm. Just as the  car was to turn down my soi, off Rajadamri road) two minutes before estimated pickup time and after waiting over 15 minutes for the car, I received a message saying car could not enter this area due to threat of 2000 baht fine. Was told to rebook with a GRAB taxi which took over 20 minutes.

Has anyone had this happen before? I have complained to GRAB but no response back yet. Has the government restricted where GRAB cars can pickup passengers? It would have been nice to get the message when I attempted to book the car if there has been a policy change.

48 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

but never...never will use a official Taxi/tuk tuk cheat in Thailand

Totally disagree - taxi drivers are mostly hard working members of society and provide a legal and reliable service at a very low cost to passenger.  Have been using since 1969 and have only had a handful of negative experiences, non serious and non costing more than a normal tip in a western country.  

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Totally disagree - taxi drivers are mostly hard working members of society and provide a legal and reliable service at a very low cost to passenger.  Have been using since 1969 and have only had a handful of negative experiences, non serious and non costing more than a normal tip in a western country.  

your brother-in-law is a taxi driver ? ????

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

No family members are - but I can still respect them.  I am well aware there are those that take advantage and hang at tourist venues but the percentage of total is low and simple choice to use a moving vehicle is normally all that is required to insure a fair price - and with the amount of taxis that is normally an option.

As for Grab many legal taxi are members and know government was working on a legal framework recently so maybe there are new rules. 

16 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Or, you are overly negative. Actually, give us some info.

How many times have you been ripped off by an ordinary taxi driver?

How many times have they been treating you bad?

In what way have they been criminals to you?

After that we can laugh and make jokes. I believe that you just fallen for the regular negative talk, and must be a supporter of that.

I have also been using regular taxis for over 20 years, and maybe had 2-3 bad experiences during that time. No, there is nobody in family that is a taxi driver.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Minimum wage in UK 350bht/hr

Minimum wage in Thailand 300bht/day

And you think not costing more than the Uk is a bargain?

Shouldn't the taxi in Thailand be 1/10 the price of the taxi in the Uk?

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If the cost were 100% labor, then yes.

But it includes the cost of fuel, which is comparable, and the cost of the vehicle, which is also comparable.

NY costs $3.00 to open the door - here about $1.10. 3 x 1

NY costs $1.56 per Km - here - here roughly $0.20. 8 x 1

So, compared to NY, Thai taxies are quite afforable.

I dont have problems with Bangkok cabbies. But I dont have a stick up my a**, I am easygoing, Im not in a hurry, I know how to handle myself, I know the areas I am going and the routes to get there as well as an approximate fare, Im not a drunk or a jingoist, Im from the USA, Im not arrogant or bellicose, I have a good roof and I dont pinch a satang coin until it squeels like Thai teenage girls at a Korean Boy Band Show.

So I have no problem with cabbies.

Nothwithstanding the fact that 99% of the time I am at most a $3 ride to anywhere I need to go. $3.

$3. or less. I dont want to sound like Jeff Bezos, but in my life scale, $3 is meaningless. If the taxi driver pushed me down and ripped the $3 from my hand I would be like...huh? $3

My ex girlfriend drives now for Grab in Pattaya. It is like you say - if they see troubles they might be too scared to pick you up. So best you wait at a more quiet area. It is still not legal and the government is talking to make it legal perhaps next year. Perhaps March. 

It is not an easy business. Often customers cancel before you get to them (perhaps regular taxi drivers behind this?) and not so many customers. Mostly she has Thai bar girls or ladyboys and often several people in one ride. Tips nothing at all. Perhaps it will get better in the main season... 

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont have problems with Bangkok cabbies. But I dont have a stick up my a**, I am easygoing, Im not in a hurry, I know how to handle myself, I know the areas I am going and the routes to get there as well as an approximate fare, Im not a drunk or a jingoist, Im from the USA, Im not arrogant or bellicose, I have a good roof and I dont pinch a satang coin until it squeels like Thai teenage girls at a Korean Boy Band Show.

Nothwithstanding the fact that 99% of the time I am at most a $3 ride to anywhere I need to go. $3.

$3. or less. I dont want to sound like Jeff Bezos, but in my life scale, $3 is meaningless. If the taxi driver pushed me down and ripped the $3 from my hand I would be like...huh? $3

Agreed. There are some areas where the taxis are known to not want to turn on the meter, but usually after telling 4 or 5 of them to stuff it, one will come along that is happy to run the meter (and they get a nice tip from me for doing so). Otherwise, I have run into the rare drunk driver, which is unsettling, and one whose hyperactive driving literally had me white-knuckled. Other than those very rare occasions (less than 10 out of thousands), I more often then not can strike up a nice conversation, and even get some laughter from my Thai jokes ("I like snow" with the incorrect tones always gets a laugh). More than a few times, even a interesting discussion of politics. I am constantly amazed at the troubles many seem to have and report here on TVF.

That said, the few times my employee has used Grab, I did see the real convenience of having the taxi come right to the office to pick us up, as well as the ability to see their approach on the map. In those cases, the premium price did seem worthwhile. The drivers were nice, the cars were nice, and the service was professional. No complaints at all.

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

My ex girlfriend drives now for Grab in Pattaya. It is like you say - if they see troubles they might be too scared to pick you up. So best you wait at a more quiet area. It is still not legal and the government is talking to make it legal perhaps next year. Perhaps March. 

I have never heard of a taxi using a meter in Pattaya, how is that "legal" ?  How does the government collect taxes on a taxi that never has income - haha.  I have asked many about fares, price per kilometer.  All just say where you go? I tell them, then they tell my some ridiculous 200-400 baht price.

So I say, how you know what meter will be.  They all say, "No meter" or ignore and stick to price, or smile, or get mad.  Then sometimes I'll point at the rooflight, "says taxi meter".  Then of course they either walk away, or I do as they get mad again.  Very different situation than in Bangkok, where every taxi uses meters. 

A 60 baht taxi ride in Bangkok will cost you 200-400 baht in Pattaya anywhere on second road, by any mall, big hotel, etc..

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think the price charged is a bargain.  As I said even when I have experienced fast meter the amount of overcharge is less than a normal tip in most countries.  Not being responsible to avoid accidents in the traffic in Bangkok is well worth the 40-150 baht fare of my taxi rides.

Those from Pattaya have issues - but this is the Bangkok Forum.

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Agree 100%

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You must be extremely lucky.

I've only been in Thailand a fraction of the time as you and I've had meter rejected countless times (over 100 times I guess) and have had taxis refuse to take me at all MAny times as well.

Also suspected that they take a longer route on purpose a couple of times (going against what Google maps suggests etc ) but this is hard to prove as they might know something the map doesn't.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:57 PM, hobz said:

You must be extremely lucky.

I've only been in Thailand a fraction of the time as you and I've had meter rejected countless times (over 100 times I guess) and have had taxis refuse to take me at all MAny times as well.

Also suspected that they take a longer route on purpose a couple of times (going against what Google maps suggests etc ) but this is hard to prove as they might know something the map doesn't.

When in town center will ask if willing to go to my destination - if not wait for next.  Never had any try not to use meter once they agree to transport in recent years - in the old days nobody used meters so you did have to agree on a price first.  Thai price structure does not often increase earnings with longer routes so unless toll roads involved it is likely traffic conditions or what they know.  Pickup fare of 35 baht is the money maker.

18 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

When you are in Central Bangkok and want to go to  Lak  Si at 16.00 and the first 3 reuse to go, yes , i got a problem with Bangkok Cabbies.

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I had an experience last night arriving at Swampy and getting a taxi from the rank at about 8pm to Bang Yai in Nonthaburi.. Usually I pay 450-500bht plus motorway tolls, 63km trip.. Taxi's meter was speeding super fast and I said to the driver that his meter was faulty. He pulled over on the side of the motorway and said I could get out and try for a another ride.. Not that stupid and was eager to get home after a 15hr commute. Meter read 96km and fare was 830bht.. Just had to wear it.. Many of these mafia taxi ripoffs are reported on TV.. Too dark to photo his door and plate ID.. There are definitely some sharks around.. 

grab is everywhere in asia.  bkk mafia is keeping grab out? without all the taxi drivers in bkk . half the men would be unemployed.  i do think grab should be allowed to do moto transfers though.  its pathetic the fee the moto taxis of before grab charged.  look at ho chi mihn city.  its so easy to get around .  grab is to easy thier you dont need a moto of your own

10 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

grab is everywhere in asia.  bkk mafia is keeping grab out? without all the taxi drivers in bkk . half the men would be unemployed.  i do think grab should be allowed to do moto transfers though.  its pathetic the fee the moto taxis of before grab charged.  look at ho chi mihn city.  its so easy to get around .  grab is to easy thier you dont need a moto of your own

Grab is everywhere in Bangkok.  Taxis (100% legal), cars (grey area).  Also you CAN do moto transfers on Grab just the same.  And you can use Grab for deliveries, pickups, messengers, food, shopping....

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

When taking a Grab Car how do you protect yourself from danger? Photo the license plate?

They are registered with the platform I believe - so always a record of who picked up whom I suspect - so for security it is likely a good option.  That said I do not use so have not checked how they work - so if wrong appreciate corrections.

I haven't had any issues with BKK Taxi's recently, all drove well, were polite etc.

But, I have been rejected numerous times.

I've taken a Taxi about 6 times in the Past 2 weeks. 

3 of those times I had to resort to calling a 'Grab' because the regular Taxi drivers just 'said no' which is annoying when it happens 3-4 times in a row... and then you have to wait another 5-10 mins for a Grab to arrive. 

So... it depends how you look at it - a 50% issue ratio (3 out of 6 attempts to take a taxi involved no issue whatsoever) 

Or, about 75% rejection rate !! (if you count the repeat rejections until I resorted to Grab)

So... a 50 to 75% reject rate is pretty poor. 

Grab not wanting to go 'into your area', I suspect thats all about extortion by a local taxi racket and not an official Grab Policy. 

Archived