14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

Isaanbiker

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, losername said:

I think we all know that it is not the lack of laws but the lack of enforcement and compliance that is really behind the problem.  My pickup has insurance for seven persons and seatbelts for five.  There are two laws already that can be seen to have been broken without any investigation at all.  Many are suffering tragic loss and many should be feeling guilt for allowing it to happen.

Think missed the point of my post.

After living here for over 10 years, and seeing, and reading about so many of these accidents, I have become devoid of feeling the shock or grief I once felt. Reading about them now, along with seeing the photos/videos has about as much impact on me, emotionally, as the local weather report. Nothing changes, and nothing ever will in this country.

A pick up is not made to carry people behind, only goods. All these horrible massacres are to be attributed to those who badly govern and who have recently been authorized. They are the real culprits of this continuous street slaughter

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Mere words can't describe this calamity, Thailand is still paying the price a of lawlessness and reckless driving manners on it's roads despites all the good intentions...

RIP all those lost.   There are no 'good intentions' by the Powers that Be, only lip service as they've got to be seen to be saying something even when everyone knows they're not really doing anything.    What about Parenting playing a vital part in Education as it does in our home country's ?    I know for sure that Western Parents would be horrified by the thought of their kids being crammed 18 at a time into the back of open Pick-Up Trucks and would never allow it to happen, especially when they know the so called 'driver' is most likely going to be an untrained individual with reckless intentions.  Sadly the Parents and the kids themselves are as irresponsible as the Authorities because generation after generation they just can't be bothered to make a stand against bad practice's.   Nothing will change until people's attitudes change and to me that seems a long, long way off !

I bet the police force, or lack of their presence on a day to day basis are really proud of the job they are doing to save lives.

I mean how many lives are lost every single day here because of the lack of random breath testing vehicles, fixed and mobile speed cameras, highway patrols, red light cameras, hugh fines, loss of licence, jail time for the more serious ?

But I suppose credit should be given to them for the couple of things they think they do well at the beginning and ends of the month to make up the quotas, i.e. roadside blocks checking registrations & licences, and lately helmet enforcement, and of course collecting tea money to look the other way, best I say no more otherwise I might get called a Thai basher.

I bet the police force, or lack of their presence on a day to day basis are really proud of the job they are doing to save lives.

I mean how many lives are lost every single day here because of the lack of random breath testing vehicles, fixed and mobile speed cameras, highway patrols, red light cameras, hugh fines, loss of licence, jail time for the more serious ?

But I suppose credit should be given to them for the couple of things they think they do well at the beginning and ends of the month to make up the quotas, i.e. roadside blocks checking registrations & licences, and lately helmet enforcement, and of course collecting tea money to look the other way, best I say no more otherwise I might get called a Thai basher.

A simple improvement would be for them (Police) to work after 5pm instead of them drinking & driving.

5 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I was trying to have breakfast when I've heard the news. 

My wife has two boys aged 15 (twins), and at times I get frustrated with her when she doesn't allow them out to mix with friends or hang out at a large shopping centre, or ride the motorbike, unless its locally up the road to get something for her, I remember being able to hang out and do stuff when I was growing up.

Then I read stuff like this and say to myself, a mother's instinct sometimes knows better. Whether she is right or wrong, or whether it will affect the boys development in future years will only tell and when I discuss my frustrations with her sometimes, she kindly replies, darling, I am not going to my sons funerals while I am alive ????????

4 hours ago, lust said:

Look at the wheels on this truck. Guaranteed it had turbo upgrades and was either racing or just driving way too fast. I always see these stupid trucks running like 600hp boosting down the roads billowing diesel clouds out the back. 

Wow your knowledge of engineering is an amazement to all. Your advice must be sought world wide at every race track and police training depot. Such an all to common massacre of life. When we lived in Thailand I would call them eggs in the back. I would get so angry. However its Thailand and nothing changes. The government which I hate with venom did try and stop this but gave up and it was only implemented for a few days. 

More laws might not change much. Simply look how many people here in Pattaya drive without helmet especially after 5 in the afternoon where they don't expect much police around. Sometimes I see four or five people on one motor bike - all without a helmet.

More laws will not help and enforcement everywhere all the time is impossible. More brain would help and perhaps more warning videos on TV. One day I was near a police checkpoint when a motor bike with a family of 5 people passed - all without a helmet. They didn't stop them. I think because the family would have been bankrupt if they had to pay the full fine.

40 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

My wife has two boys aged 15 (twins), and at times I get frustrated with her when she doesn't allow them out to mix with friends or hang out at a large shopping centre, or ride the motorbike, unless its locally up the road to get something for her, I remember being able to hang out and do stuff when I was growing up.

Then I read stuff like this and say to myself, a mother's instinct sometimes knows better. Whether she is right or wrong, or whether it will affect the boys development in future years will only tell and when I discuss my frustrations with her sometimes, she kindly replies, darling, I am not going to my sons funerals while I am alive ????????

Soo well said,......

Very tragic and unnecessary deaths. 

Unfortunately, this is Thailand and isn’t that shocking. Your child might be next. Statistically, odds are not in their favor if they travel on the roads and are male. Young males are killed the most here. If not in the back of a truck, it might be on a motorbike or in the school van. I see countless school trucks and vans speeding and running stop signs / red lights. No one cares.

If you have any options to raise your child elsewhere and don’t, you’re a selfish, bad parent. Thailand is a terrible place to raise a child for all sorts of reasons.

from where I come from, some freak accident like this would make nationalwide news for weeks and some discussion would arouse to ban Pickups for public us. Here, it is just a daily incident. I have just visit a funeral yesterday were 2 brothers got cremated from a hit-and-run accident. One of the lads was trapped under a Pickup and dragged behind it for a kilometer until to the next village were they could manage to stop him. His excuse was "I thought they were ghosts". This accident didn't even made into the news as so many more. I also doubt that they will get counted in the road fatality statistics.

it is really a shame how a country waste its most importent recource, young intelligent students the fundament of the future.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

They are too busy counting their cash and trying to find new ways to scheme that they don’t care.

The police here are not for enforcing the law. 

Just now, OttoPollmann said:

from where I come from, some freak accident like this would make nationalwide news for weeks and some discussion would arouse to ban Pickups for public us. Here, it is just a daily incident. I have just visit a funeral yesterday were 2 brothers got cremated from a hit-and-run accident. One of the lads was trapped under a Pickup and dragged behind it for a kilometer until to the next village were they could manage to stop him. His excuse was "I thought they were ghosts". This accident didn't even made into the news as so many more. I also doubt that they will get counted in the road fatality statistics.

it is really a shame how a country waste its most importent recource, young intelligent students the fundament of the future.

When I was dating a local years back we attended 6 different funerals of children from her village killed on the roads. They burned them and then life went back to normal with all the other kids zipping around on bikes with no helmets as if nothing happened. 

Their fatalistic mind set is usually the death of them.

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

People in pickups law was thrown out because of thais childish mentality. Bloods on the pms hands!! 

That said, who the hell rides in the back of a drunk thais ute? 

Or in the back of any ute?

Its pretty sad. And i know exactly what will happen tomorrow. Tomorrow there will be check points set up all over thailand with pickup trucks being inspected.

kids uner 10 with no helmet will drive by the check point ,they wont be stoped because its a check point for pick ups not kids on bikes.

I am positive thailand will always be like this.

Tomorrow a big deal made then a week later back to normal.

When I was dating a local years back we attended 6 different funerals of children from her village killed on the roads. They burned them and then life went back to normal with all the other kids zipping around on bikes with no helmets as if nothing happened. 

Their fatalistic mind set is usually the death of them.

Been there, done that. Where I work, we have guards checking all riders have helmets on, within the grounds. 90% of the students carry the helmets when outside on the normal (dangerous) roads and cover their heads when at the Uni gates!!
Maybe they think they are going to paradise?????

4 hours ago, lust said:

Also, the people that say “where were the police?” Come back to reality. You think the police are everywhere at all times? There’s 15 million people in the BKK area. 

You maybe right but maybe not,there is a very big chance the pick-ups past

a policeman somewhere along the trip.They where seen i would say but as usual no action from the bib.

7 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Oh my god..my condolences to all.

6 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

Update.....17 kids have lost their lives in this accident. Apparently two trucks were racing don't know if both were loading down with passengers.

The local's said that "trucks driving fast" is common to this area....alcohol consumption is common too...with driving...???

No common sense.

no driver training

no skill

no licence?

very sad!

Archived