14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

Isaanbiker

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Think that comment is B S. 

I was about to post something similar.

I have researched this.  Does anyone have any actual facts that they don't count people who died in hospital?  It's something I see on here regularly but think it could well be a TV urban myth.

I am not saying it is definitely untrue but would like someone to point to something that proves it - I am pretty sure most people just repeat it because they read someone else say it on here.

Just now, josephbloggs said:

I was about to post something similar.

I have researched this.  Does anyone have any actual facts that they don't count people who died in hospital?  It's something I see on here regularly but think it could well be a TV urban myth.

I am not saying it is definitely untrue but would like someone to point to something that proves it - I am pretty sure most people just repeat it because they read someone else say it on here.

As you, not sure - but believe death from a vehicle is counted upto 

30 after the event, which in itself doesn't result in true numbers - but better than what seems a to be TV myth. 

8 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Unfortunately, this is nothing new. Those of us that have lived here for a decade or three, have know of equally horrific pick-up crashes, after which nothing was changed.
I believe learning from failure/tragedy, are something that doesn’t happen here (sadly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another sad part of living here for so long is that we get a sort of used to tragic accidents that were caused by stupidity and we basically stop thinking about the reasons why it is as it is. 

My apologies if that didn't come over well, but it's hard to explain. 17 years here made me think totally different to the person I once was when I settled down.

Our skin gets thicker and thicker. 

24 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Another sad part of living here for so long is that we get a sort of used to tragic accidents that were caused by stupidity and we basically stop thinking about the reasons why it is as it is. 

My apologies if that didn't come over well, but it's hard to explain. 17 years here made me think totally different to the person I once was when I settled down.

Our skin gets thicker and thicker. 

my skin doesn't get thicker, but the muscles of my neck take a beating from all the side to side rotation in the utter disbelieve of what is accepted her in LOS. 

Is it really true that the driver was neither drunk nor was he on any kind of drugs?

There's a post where somebody came up with this message. 

Who will know the HONEST answer to your question???
The police??? Mmmmmm, don’t think so!

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Is it really true that the driver was neither drunk nor was he on any kind of drugs?

There's a post where somebody came up with this message. 

In the very early stage I recall it being reported, that his girl friend asked why he drove, crashed etc, to which he replied that he was drunk. 

So, if what is being reported is true - draw your own conclusions. 

12 hours ago, Artisi said:

In the very early stage I recall it being reported, that his girl friend asked why he drove, crashed etc, to which he replied that he was drunk. 

Reporters quite often make stories up in Thailand .

They write what they think may have happened and make a few quotes up to confirm it 

Same story that I had heard. Girlfriend ask the driver and then she reported his answers to Thai news on-site.

One of the dead came from GF’s village.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

They write what they think may have happened and make a few quotes up to confirm it 

Not unlike the BIB after receipt of an anonymous lunch box. 

4 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Who will know the HONEST answer to your question???
The police??? Mmmmmm, don’t think so!

My apologies, haven't seen/read the gf's statement.....he was drunk and must live the rest of his life with that. 

21 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Please, too many young men have lost their lives, the cremation ceremony, the final goodbye to and for all of them must be hard for all involved. 

It's not relevant now if the truck was legally, or illegally modified. How can you make such an assumption that the person who changed the truck wasn't qualified, or had no knowledge doing so?

The fact is that so many young people had to die such a gruesome death that it's hard to believe and the families and friends are still trying to understand what just happened.

It's something these people will never forget in their lives. 

The part when people finally realize that their loved ones will never come back home is something we can hardly imagine when not in the same situation.

Did you never do something stupid when you were young?
  I did. 

Did you never move a vehicle after some alcohol consumption?
  I did. 

Have you never tried to make your Moped a bit faster when you were young? I did. 

Most people, especially under the influence of alcohol, do not think logically and the way I see it, they were young men who died a terrible death.

When I was young, I drove cars and big bikes when I was so drunk that I couldn't even walk. It's a miracle that I'm still alive.

When I settled down here, I was at a merit near my wife's village, and Lao Khao, beer, and other alcohol offered to me from almost everybody. 

A zip here, a zip there, a zip almost everywhere. So it started. 

At this time I had no idea what their plan was that I'd have to drive my pick up with a lot of relatives and some Thai friends to an event in Sisaket, a 24 km trip. 

I wish I'd have said no, but at this point, I was still somehow okay. Thinking that I could do it, and all already arranged, and many people were waiting for me was a strange situation.

And I wasn't used to Lao Khao, and when I started the trip, the alcohol kicked into my bloodstream that I couldn't drive, nor think. But it got much worse. 

After a few kilometers, I somehow knew that I'd have to stop, but people in the cab told me to continue driving, and there's nobody else who could drive a car, and none of them was sober, excluding my wife. 

But she couldn't drive at this time. 

The worst nightmare then happened, and I saw all vehicles in front of me twice and somewhere else where they were. 

The only way to keep the truck on the road ( at this time still a one-lane road!) and not to collide with another vehicle was to close one eye to make it home.

I know that I could have killed more than ten people, including my own family. But I had good luck, and we all got back safe.

I was an adult who acted so frikking stupid that I still feel ashamed about it now.

But it did happen, and I know how dangerous driving under the influence of alcohol is. Things can quickly get out of control.

I don't think that the driver of this pick up wanted to cause any harm to anybody. Alcohol took over his brain, and we all know the tragic result. 

I thought that I have a different and healthier common sense, but that didn't help me at all. I never drank that much Lao Khao before and must have been very close to an alcohol poisoning.

It made me a living zombie. 

That's in no way an excuse for my behavior. 

I felt, and I still do, ashamed of myself to bring others into such a danger, but it happened, and I was the one who did it. 

I was in my mid-forties, old enough, and I should have known better. But I did something extremely foolish, dangerous, and insane.

I only had good luck that nothing happened to so many innocent people. I'm not proud of it, but I can't turn the time back, because it happened. It happened, and all of us had good luck. 

I do not want to be in the driver's skin now, almost everybody blaming him for so many dead young people. 

But he can't turn time back. My apologies for the long post, I know that I hadn't been any better than the guy who caused the horror crash in Samut Prakan. 

I genuinely hope that they will rest in peace and that the relatives and friends will somehow find a way to get over it. It will take a long long time, that's certain. 

It's so easy to point fingers at others, but many of us have done, or still do crazy things that could cause harm or death to others.

I have my lesson learned, and thank god for it. 

So true, what you said.

40 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Not unlike the BIB after receipt of an anonymous lunch box. 

No, he was drunk as far as his gf reported. God, I'd kill myself if I were in his shoes. I couldn't live with that very heavy weight on my shoulders. 

No merit will bring them back. 

Just now, Isaanbiker said:

No, he was drunk as far as his gf reported. God, I'd kill myself if I were in his shoes. I couldn't live with that very heavy weight on my shoulders. 

No merit will bring them back. 

2 weeks in a wat overcomes all problems like that, exit with a clean conscious, start all over again. 

13 hours ago, Artisi said:

Think that comment is B S. 

I believe I read it in the Bangkok Post in an article about casualties over the New Year.

I have googled too, but cannot find anything definitive to back me up, or disprove what I stated.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

For anyone interested, i know someone whose nephew was one of victims. School had its own insurance and paying 300 000 baht to each victims family, Bus insurance so far has not assisted in anyway what so ever

I think I've lost you here. What kind of bus insurance are you talking about?

300 K is enough to buy a second hand car, but it can't bring a young man back to life. I'm certain that the Buddhist ceremony, food and drinks for the guests must be at least half of this amount.

Let them rest in peace, wherever they are now. My sincere condolences to the relatives and friends of the victims. 

It's especially hard on the relatives, but also for the guys from the college and those who were at the Morlam event. 

Where were the teachers when they started their last trip? I tend to believe that they are partly guilty as well. 

Our son, at the same college, meets his teachers perhaps twice a week, or less.

They are as useless as cancer.  

On 9/29/2019 at 11:06 AM, HaleySabai said:

Update.....17 kids have lost their lives in this accident. Apparently two trucks were racing don't know if both were loading down with passengers.

The local's said that "trucks driving fast" is common to this area....alcohol consumption is common too...with driving...???

Alcohol is INVOLVED - in 25 to 30% of crashes in Thailand as it is elsewhere in the world......so why do so many more die?

Because the vehicles, road design and emergency services are not up to standard.

All countries have the same proportion of idiots (just read some of the comments on road safety on the net) but in Thailand they are given free-rein  to do what they like.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:37 PM, Yom Valley said:

Most people, especially under the influence of alcohol, do not think logically

Good point....alcohol does 2 main things

firstly it slows your reactions and secondly reduces inhibitions.

This happens after one unit....and is easily measurable.

These are the worst things possible in a vehicle.

It is also overlooked that in crashes where alcohol is involved, it doesn't necessarily follow that the driver to blame was the only one drunk....any other vehicle drivers ay also he been drunk and grunk passengers are in themselves a risk to safe driving.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, sanemax said:

If you see how road incidents are examined and analysed in Europe, Australia etc., you'll realise what utter rubbish the Thai approach to accidents is....usually an untrained law officer, who wasn't even a witness makes a pronouncement that should be reserved for the judiciary and the whole thing is swept under the carpet.

the problem here is that those who are responsible for road safety lean sweet F.A from these incidents and the crashes, injuries and deaths continue.

Archived