14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

Isaanbiker

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm going to take the same attitude as the Thais on this one. I don't care. Everyone must be aware that it is unsafe to ride in the bed of a pickup, because everyone has read and seen countless examples of the consequences.

1 - Those who do it don't care.

2 - Those in charge of the students don't care.

3 - The police who don't enforce the law that it is illegal to ride in the bed of a pickup don't care.

So why should I? As so many like to say on this site, it's their country and it's up to them. It's a lawless place and sometimes that can have fatal consequences. I just hope they don't involve me in their lunacy.

Road Safety 1.jpg

So can it be assumed if it were one of your kids you wouldn't care, or if you get plastered all over the road, nobody should care - strange attitude. 

Would say there are a number of families right at the moment - caring. 

Of course you are correct in saying nothing is likely  to change, however - that doesn't mean you shouldn't have some empathy for the families involved. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This kind of behaviors is rampant throughout everything Thais do. They simply cannot comprehend that action a leads to outcome b.

Wife showed me the news about this yesterday and was saying how terrible it was. Went in the kids bathroom last night and there was an open packet of Draino (drain cleaning powder) on the same shelf and next to the kids toothbrushes. Explained to the wife how utterly stupid this was and it was this kind of mentality and lack of thought that leads to incidents like the accident she was so verbal about in the morning.....she simply could not piece it together about how unsafe actions and having such a lax attitude (or down right stupidity) towards safety all end in the same result.

It sarts with open Draino packets by the toothbrushes and ends with 13 dead kids in a pick up. She simply could not make that connection.....Masters Degree too, not from a poor family.

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

So can it be assumed if it were one of your kids you wouldn't care, or if you get plastered all over the road, nobody should care - strange attitude. 

Would say there are a number of families right at the moment - caring. 

Of course you are correct in saying nothing is likely  to change, however - that doesn't mean you shouldn't have some empathy for the families involved. 

No no no no no. Because as a responsible parent I would not allow my kid to ride in the bed of a pickup, and I'd explain very graphically why. And then maybe they might tell their friends. And I cannot have any empathy with families who knowingly allow their kids to engage in such a dangerous act. They know the risks better than the kids, and don't care enough to do anything about it.

It's no good caring after the body has been lifted from the road. Caring needs to be done before it's too late, not after. Obvious, I would have thought.

4 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

This kind of behaviors is rampant throughout everything Thais do. They simply cannot comprehend that action a leads to outcome b.

Wife showed me the news about this yesterday and was saying how terrible it was. Went in the kids bathroom last night and there was an open packet of Draino (drain cleaning powder) on the same shelf and next to the kids toothbrushes. Explained to the wife how utterly stupid this was and it was this kind of mentality and lack of thought that leads to incidents like the accident she was so verbal about in the morning.....she simply could not piece it together about how unsafe actions and having such a lax attitude (or down right stupidity) towards safety all end in the same result.

It sarts with open Draino packets by the toothbrushes and ends with 13 dead kids in a pick up. She simply could not make that connection.....Masters Degree too, not from a poor family.

Just a reflection of there being absolutely no common sense in Thailand. I've lived here 25+ years and can't recall ever seeing any. None at all. It's quite incredible to me that it can be totally absent from a country, and I can only put it down to the education system in which kids are discouraged from thinking and working things out for themselves.

4 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

I really don't think it started with Draino, but we get your point. It is difficult to talk about safety to people who have an entirely different concept of acceptable risk.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No no no no no. Because as a responsible parent I would not allow my kid to ride in the bed of a pickup, and I'd explain very graphically why. And then maybe they might tell their friends. And I cannot have any empathy with families who knowingly allow their kids to engage in such a dangerous act. They know the risks better than the kids, and don't care enough to do anything about it.

It's no good caring after the body has been lifted from the road. Caring needs to be done before it's too late, not after. Obvious, I would have thought.

Of course you are correct, as a parent I also try to instill as much common sense as possible - but this is Thailand and kids are kids and face and peer pressure rule - unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The stuff that goes on at school and other places where you can't see it would make your hair turn grey. And they believe they are taking precautions.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:01 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Thanks, I knew some of them. Our son is at the same institution, but luckily he wasn't on this trip.

My son won't be loaded up in the back of a pickup like cattle being taken to slaughter, that much I can assure you. No way in hell. 

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

My wife has two boys aged 15 (twins), and at times I get frustrated with her when she doesn't allow them out to mix with friends or hang out at a large shopping centre, or ride the motorbike, unless its locally up the road to get something for her, I remember being able to hang out and do stuff when I was growing up.

Then I read stuff like this and say to myself, a mother's instinct sometimes knows better. Whether she is right or wrong, or whether it will affect the boys development in future years will only tell and when I discuss my frustrations with her sometimes, she kindly replies, darling, I am not going to my sons funerals while I am alive ????????

Your wife is absolutely right.

Yes you ( and I) where allowed out, but that was not in Thailand. Your wife know Thailand and make her rules from that.

My girls are not ewer allowed to ride in the back of a truck, even when told by the school to do so.

Sad very sad  It just never stops does it? Government response "Lets have another meeting" where they should be saying Ok get the head of the police department in and lay down the law to him /her of what a police officer duty is to the public of thailand. Doubt that will ever happen Oh dam there goes those bloody pigs flying backwards again.

RIP!

So tragic!

Yet so predictable!

Everyone should watch the video of the accident!

The car pratically turned into a cruise missiles in seconds!

Just if anyone is in doubt of the "speeding"!

But don't worry: new year is coming up and then songkhran and there will be a lot of lip-service and senseless alcohol- prohibitions for people, who just want to celebrate responsibly....and lot of sitting around of fat behinds by the RTP! 

I find this disgusting and the drivers of these types of public vehicles in Thailand should be MORE stringently tested to carry passengers and re-tested every 90 days. I have seen these drivers driving at speeds far in excess of 120 km/hour. The drivers have NOT a single care of public passenger safety!!!!!   

1 hour ago, jvs said:

As far as i know 17 student dead and the driver in hospital.

His wife/girlfriend said on social media she asked him why he drove like that,answer;i was drunk;!!

I see many people are blaming the fact that these people were in the back of a pick-up and thus many people died.

If it would have been a minibus they would have died also,blame it on the driver!

No sorry,i take that back.Blame it on Thai society,all Thais are to blame in a way.

I have said it many times before,as long as mai pen rai rules the nation nothing will change.

It is easy to point fingers but that will not do any good,there is a lot i could and maybe should say but i have read all of the replies and a lot of people do not seem to understand the under lying facts.Poverty?No police?No public transport?They are all excuses,they are not reasons.

One poster said his wife will not let her twin sons do any of this stuff,she is the one with the brains!!!!

The young driver, if he survives, has to live with the truth that he killed 17 of his mates. It's no good condemning him. There, but for the grace of God, etc etc. I remember doing stupid, dangerous things with motor cars when I was much younger.

I'm sure he'll do some jail time but before that he'll be facing a community where he and his mates lived. Some will be crying for blood while others will treat he and his whole family with indifference, coldness etc. Maybe, some will find strength to forgive and even if they do, I would not like to live with mind for the next 50+ years.

RIP to the deceased and condolences to their relatives and friends.

20 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

RIP all those lost.   There are no 'good intentions' by the Powers that Be, only lip service as they've got to be seen to be saying something even when everyone knows they're not really doing anything.    What about Parenting playing a vital part in Education as it does in our home country's ?    I know for sure that Western Parents would be horrified by the thought of their kids being crammed 18 at a time into the back of open Pick-Up Trucks and would never allow it to happen, especially when they know the so called 'driver' is most likely going to be an untrained individual with reckless intentions.  Sadly the Parents and the kids themselves are as irresponsible as the Authorities because generation after generation they just can't be bothered to make a stand against bad practice's.   Nothing will change until people's attitudes change and to me that seems a long, long way off !

In your comment ........................reckless intentions.  If you look at the pic of the pickup when it was still in one piece you will see the wheels are wider than the wheel arches , Why would a pickup driver choose to do that hmm , because he is saying look at me , look at my wheels and watch me GO !

I saw the news report of this accident last night on Thai news channel. So sad.

I tried to discuss the issue with my wife and what could be done.

The reply I got was “not your problem” and “it’s up to them”.

It just sums up the Thai attitude when it’s not directly affecting them.

So sad.

Hello,

This is extremely tragic !! 
my question is why is Law Enforcement not enforcing the no people / passengers in the back of pick-ups !! ??

why do they not enforce helmet use on all motorcycles??

why do they not enforce proper lighting on vehicles and motorcycles !! ??

Seems to me common sense is heavily lacking with The Thai Police and Government in Enforcing Road Safety PERIOD !!!  

The real issue in Thailand is that the government and police do very little if anything to improve public transport safety and advanced training for these drivers of general public. I've seen these drivers, driving in excess of 140 km/hour+. I have also seen motor bike taxis driving down the road in the wrong direction, including Taxis, Pick-ups etc on a daily occurrence. It seems "Thai" drivers have zero care for "road safety"!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Jorgendk said:

Your wife is absolutely right.

Yes you ( and I) where allowed out, but that was not in Thailand. Your wife know Thailand and make her rules from that.

My girls are not ewer allowed to ride in the back of a truck, even when told by the school to do so.

Totally agree, I see what goes on with the drugs and the rest, like alcohol consumption at a very early age and riding motorbikes, I never put my two bobs worth unless she tells me to step in and that's when they know what fear is because I don't think Thai's actually raise their voices, apart from the Mrs that is, but they soon realise how to buckle down (bad as dad), never hit, just raise the voice and beat the chest like a crazy farang....lol

We also have a pick up and none of the 4 (2 girls ride) in the back, school excursions they are usually driven by us, i.e. we will make a day out of it, no buses unless necessary and, unless single level, no double deckers.

33 minutes ago, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

Why not read the thread before trying to be a smartass there Bangkok barry? The comment was made before there was a report. 

The link to the story, which said the vehicles were racing, was included in the first post of this thread. So how could the comment have been made before there was a report? Over to you.....

6 minutes ago, Brer said:

So sad.

That's the land of smiles for you, "not your problem",

"it's up to them" 

Mai pben rai ????

14 minutes ago, newatthis said:

The young driver, if he survives, has to live with the truth that he killed 17 of his mates. It's no good condemning him. There, but for the grace of God, etc etc. I remember doing stupid, dangerous things with motor cars when I was much younger.

I'm sure he'll do some jail time but before that he'll be facing a community where he and his mates lived. Some will be crying for blood while others will treat he and his whole family with indifference, coldness etc. Maybe, some will find strength to forgive and even if they do, I would not like to live with mind for the next 50+ years.

RIP to the deceased and condolences to their relatives and friends.

Sadly:

a. Probably nothing will happen to him.

b. The community probably won’t treat him any differently.

c. Two weeks in the temple and a change of his unlucky name will clear his conscience (not his fault he had an unlucky name)

13 minutes ago, Brer said:

So sad.

So true; my wife always says things like   'Why do i want to know about that ?  It doesn't affect me or you or my family' !   Apathy and Bad Attitude rule in Thailand .

14 minutes ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Hello,

This is extremely tragic !! 
my question is why is Law Enforcement not enforcing the no people / passengers in the back of pick-ups !! ??

why do they not enforce helmet use on all motorcycles??

why do they not enforce proper lighting on vehicles and motorcycles !! ??

Seems to me common sense is heavily lacking with The Thai Police and Government in Enforcing Road Safety PERIOD !!!  

Never ever try to use the phrase "common sense" together with police, government, enforcement or the likes in the same story or  paragraph let alone in the same sentence. 

On 9/29/2019 at 10:44 AM, lust said:

Not sure why you’re so affected by this story but that’s your business. Just stating the facts.

But are you stating the facts? Were you there, do you know? Give us more insight please.

Archived