14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

Isaanbiker

Firstly RIP to the victims and respect to the families, but lket us look at this carnage .

Driven probably by an inexperienced driver ( possibly under the influence of something ) it will of course never be checked.

Traffic laws rarely if ever checked , especially not at that time as ALL POLICE are inside an Air Conditioned building .

They tried to make passengers in the rear of pick-ups illegal but the Public complained so they do not bother anymore. 

NOW 

We have a Police Officer publically  stating the Public do not like checks as they think the Poilice are after money......Well they ARE ! 

Demands Police be asked to deter these vehicles from carrying more than 6 in the back.....Welcome to Cloud Cuckoo land, and to ask the Police to work, never happen ..TRY TELLING THEM TO WORK 

If the Government comes up with a plan the Police will ignore it, the Public will object to it and the dead, well they are past complaining .

One thing might just concentrate3 their minds, any traffic offence which breaks the law causing injury or death, the Insurance companies will not pay out . That will hurt. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

It's Thailand, how many pickup loaded with many persons have we seen driving at high speed.

Far too many.

But bear in mind - there are probably thousand of pick-ups each day transporting people around the country in relative safety. 

This doesn't mean I agree with the practice, however with the low wage structure, lack of any real decent public transport systems etc., how else can many people get to work to earn what really is a minimum survival wage. 

7 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Firstly RIP to the victims and respect to the families, but lket us look at this carnage .

Driven probably by an inexperienced driver ( possibly under the influence of something ) it will of course never be checked.

Traffic laws rarely if ever checked , especially not at that time as ALL POLICE are inside an Air Conditioned building .

They tried to make passengers in the rear of pick-ups illegal but the Public complained so they do not bother anymore. 

NOW 

We have a Police Officer publically  stating the Public do not like checks as they think the Poilice are after money......Well they ARE ! 

Demands Police be asked to deter these vehicles from carrying more than 6 in the back.....Welcome to Cloud Cuckoo land, and to ask the Police to work, never happen ..TRY TELLING THEM TO WORK 

If the Government comes up with a plan the Police will ignore it, the Public will object to it and the dead, well they are past complaining .

One thing might just concentrate3 their minds, any traffic offence which breaks the law causing injury or death, the Insurance companies will not pay out . That will hurt. 

Insurance companies not paying out, do you really think this would worry the majority  of Thais - nope, just default on any loans owed on the vehicle - all this means is more unpaid and uncollectable debts. 

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

What can you say?

It will never change and can happen every other day or night.

Most countries report an accident that involves one fatality. 

Thailand sadly reports by the dozen. Or more, every day. 

Reform is too long overdue. 

Its not Karma. 

Its stupidity, irresponsibility, lack of education in road laws and driving. 

And let's not forget,  the entrenched policing for financial rewards only.

May they rest in peace. 

(14 families are grieving again)

21 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

They came back from a Morlam event where drinking seems to be "normal".I hope that the driver will rot in hell. 

Please pass on condolences to those hit by this terrible accident, and wish them power to cope, and to accept the loss of their kids who's life was just starting.
I think all of Thailand is crying with them today.

12 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

A few years ago, I brought a  friend to the local police station late in the evening. Some guys on duty sat there, had some chicken and drank whiskey.

All were drunk and we left again. Nobody was in the mood to stand up. 

Even "our city" is quite dangerous at night, my wife was followed by a guy who wore a mask when her motorbike broke down.

The guy then disappeared when I showed up. No country for single women? I find it hard to believe that police officers are mainly there to collect some Bakschisch, but never there when you need them. 

These young guys were victims of a government that doesn't do anything that would be important for its people. In the end, you've got to start at the top. 

A fish rots from the head down. 

That may be so, but the person who caused this  horrific accident was the driver. Had he been sober and not speeding it likely does not happen.

Reading about this totally avoidable tragedy is desperately sad, and , as a driver on Thai road, unnerving.  When are the RTP going to start aggressively enforcing proper traffic laws, the cost of this would be far outweighed by the savings in medical/funeral/insurance?/personal sadness  expenses , both fiscal and mental. Perhaps a mass transfer from the immigration division, who are busy protecting national security, would assist and improve the safety and welfare of the Thai people.

10 minutes ago, lust said:

Anyone know the fate of the driver and the  occupants riding inside the truck?

As far as i know 17 student dead and the driver in hospital.

His wife/girlfriend said on social media she asked him why he drove like that,answer;i was drunk;!!

I see many people are blaming the fact that these people were in the back of a pick-up and thus many people died.

If it would have been a minibus they would have died also,blame it on the driver!

No sorry,i take that back.Blame it on Thai society,all Thais are to blame in a way.

I have said it many times before,as long as mai pen rai rules the nation nothing will change.

It is easy to point fingers but that will not do any good,there is a lot i could and maybe should say but i have read all of the replies and a lot of people do not seem to understand the under lying facts.Poverty?No police?No public transport?They are all excuses,they are not reasons.

One poster said his wife will not let her twin sons do any of this stuff,she is the one with the brains!!!!

I have just seen a long video, taken at the scene, of this tragic accident. It was posted on my Facebook page - why? It really upset me to see all the bodies lined up in the road, alongside the pavement, with each person's belongings in a bag on their lap and a piece of paper/cloth covering each face. Lots of body fluid flowing from the corpses. It was a disturbing video and I hid the post. RIP to all victims and sincere condolences to their families.

33 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm... ummm..... maybe the Thai govt should make riding on the back of pickups illegal because it’s too dangerous?  No, silly me for thinking that! TIT

No need;
the law has existed for more than a year;
but everyone does not care, the cops first.

Yet it would be an easy way to fill their deep pockets at a rate of 200 baht per person not attached to a seatbelt ...
Thousands of pickups carry people every day in the dumpster and some drive at very unreasonable speeds.

If I was a Thai cop I would become a millionaire in a short time ...

23 hours ago, lust said:

Look at the wheels on this truck. Guaranteed it had turbo upgrades and was either racing or just driving way too fast. I always see these stupid trucks running like 600hp boosting down the roads billowing diesel clouds out the back. 

Why not read the report before commenting. Witnesses said two pickups were racing each other.

I'm going to take the same attitude as the Thais on this one. I don't care. Everyone must be aware that it is unsafe to ride in the bed of a pickup, because everyone has read and seen countless examples of the consequences.

1 - Those who do it don't care.

2 - Those in charge of the students don't care.

3 - The police who don't enforce the law that it is illegal to ride in the bed of a pickup don't care.

So why should I? As so many like to say on this site, it's their country and it's up to them. It's a lawless place and sometimes that can have fatal consequences. I just hope they don't involve me in their lunacy.

Road Safety 1.jpg

2 hours ago, Peterbkk99 said:

This is exactly my thinking. I have a young child and I am making plans to move my family out of Thailand next year. Going home.

Yes my sentiments exactly...I have a good job now but we simply must leave this place to raise our children (7 and 5)...as a parent you are duty bound.

Archived