14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

Isaanbiker

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Never ever try to use the phrase "common sense" together with police, government, enforcement or the likes in the same story or  paragraph let alone in the same sentence. 

Called an oxymoron when used as in "military intelligence"............but the sad thing is that things will never change here due to: little to no education, no questioning of teachers or adults, little parental guidance, esp at the lower socio-economic level, male macho tendencies, "not my problem" mentality, and that many young males are treated like princes and can do no wrong, so never taught right from wrong.

And this applies to the police, armed forces etc........endemic in fact.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:06 AM, HaleySabai said:

Update.....17 kids have lost their lives in this accident. Apparently two trucks were racing don't know if both were loading down with passengers.

The local's said that "trucks driving fast" is common to this area....alcohol consumption is common too...with driving...???

is this tragic senseless loss of young lives and carnage a surprise to anyone

another sad day on Thailand roads, meanwhile the uneducated authorities are dreaming up ideas for improving safety for big motorbike riders that do the exact opposite 

RIP ☹️

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Agreed, yet as I posted before, 40-60 vehicle fatalities daily in Thailand, 102 daily in the USA.  Statistics say over 50% are alcohol related. 

Even if a driver is sober, another vehicle driven by a drunk could have hit them and caused the accident.

Automobile fatalities are higher than all death tolls worldwide from war!  Think about that.

And the population has increased by how many since WW!!, along with many homes own two -three vehicles, able to travel unimaginable speeds since WW11

Absolutely tragic, God Bless them and their families

The Government, and Police contribute greatly by ignoring and not enforcing the laws, no crash helmits on motor bikes, no rear lights, driving the wrong way on roads and highways

Jail a senior police officer each time this happens

Once again, the fault lies with Gov't,PM/Police Minister, Gen Prayut Chan Ocha & senior Heads of Police, who have failed to ensure the road laws are properly Policed!!

With 230,000+ police, there is no excuse for the disgraceful level of Policing in Thailand!! 

It is a gross Dereliction of Duty, those responsible should be sacked !! 

Thailand has one of the worst death tolls for Road incidents in the world by population !! 

WHY? WHY? 

They're not accidents; they are due to careless driving, alcohol & lack of proper Policing!

29 minutes ago, brian2f2f said:

They most certainly had other options like for 1 not go to the party, call a cab and so on. They did not have to get in the back of the truck with a highly drunk driver. They knew he was very drunk they knew he was going to be racing they knew they were probably going to be in a fatal wreck and they still chose to do so. Everyone feeling sorry for them and so on yet they did that knowing they had a 1% chance at best to make it home and a 99% chance of dieing in a wreck. As far as I'm concerned they chose to kill themselves. They and their families get no sympathy from me. As the parents had a chance to teach them not to do such things. But more then likely they supported such actions themselves. Most parents have no problems with their kids drinking here. My last ex started drinking at the age of about 6 with her parents giving her her first beer. Even she gave her 2 yr sister beer to drink. Drinking violence and stupidity is taught from birth by parents teachers and society. So don't ask me to feel sorry for someone who chose to be stupid and raised on stupid and felt that this is right even after all the news and so on. We all have the ability to make a choice to follow what we are taught blindly or seek out the truth ourselves and do the right thing even if it goes against the popular thing to do. 

Unfortunately if you're raised on stupid you have no other reference on which to gauge what is what. 

Is it OK as an expat to criticise and believe your learned experiences, upbringing, and critical thinking skills should be applied and used by everyone in Thailand? You might well believe it should be, but unfortunately Thai society hadn't developed to this level of understanding and probably won't in the near future - - don't forget our fantastic Western culture wasn't any better in earlier times. 

As a foreigner we need to show some empathy and when /where ever possible show, point out, or explain why we think like we do, a step at a time never hurts (even if farangs know nothing) 

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Called an oxymoron when used as in "military intelligence"............but the sad thing is that things will never change here due to: little to no education, no questioning of teachers or adults, little parental guidance, esp at the lower socio-economic level, male macho tendencies, "not my problem" mentality, and that many young males are treated like princes and can do no wrong, so never taught right from wrong.

In a nut shell, unfortunately 

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I really don't think it started with Draino, but we get your point. It is difficult to talk about safety to people who have an entirely different concept of acceptable risk.

The problem, or maybe not, with Thai is, they believe in a next live, that gives them a different attitudes.

I think the whole thai culture is based on that.

10 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Sorry for the family’s thought that law was passed a few yrs ago about riding or carrying passengers in the bed of pick up trucks guess that laws not enforced but the Tn 30 for foreigners are enforced now TIT

Of course TM 30 must be enforced, farangs are a greater danger to ???????? than the road massacre can ever be. 

We, farang, can make all the proposals we want;
the thai will not take it into account.
Some here have lived in this country for many years, 20 years, 30 years, sometimes more;
I myself live in a small village in Issan for over 13 years.
The Thai police do not intend to enforce the law on the road.
She specializes in the hunting of mules that convoy amphetamines;
she deals with "suicides" and innumerable killings with knives or gunshots.
It can not be in the oven and the mill and therefore leaves the road and the miscreants who use it

The day when there will be an independent direction for the passage of vehicles to the mines;
the day when all commercial vehicles will have to pass to the mines every year
the day when the vehicles of public transport of people will have to pass to the mines every 6 months;
the day when all vehicles weighing more than 3.5 tonnes will be equipped with electronic tachographs ....
The day when the alcoholic rate will be zero for coach drivers ... (as in France)
and 0.2 for all other professional drivers (same as in France)
(I remind you that the law is 0.5 for everyone)

this great day will perhaps arrive at the third millennium;
in the meantime, let us hope that the Thai government finally opens its eyes to the carnage on the roads of their country.
We, farang, can not do anything about it, except to pass between the drops when we drive here.

So sad, but this is all part of living in Thailand. When people ride in the back of pick up trucks  they should know that they are playing Russian Roulette, because there are no safety belts and they have no chance if anything happens. It should be outlawed.

3 hours ago, jvs said:

why he drove like that,answer, "i was drunk" !

And sad thing is, the drunk driver may not be charged with vehicular homicide. 

That would go a long way in getting these drunk drivers off the road and a big deterrent to drunk driving IMO.

Have read many cases in the USA where drunk drivers are not prosecuted for homicides when they should be.  Many times ends up as a misdemeanor, either unintentional / involuntary manslaughter or negligence 

17 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

How fast he must bin going when your car is 200 meters away from the crash site? and with 17-18 people in the car? The  driver was verry 'lucky'  to keep the car in a street line with the speed he's going before the crash..

In a straight line, you jest of course, a complete out of control event that commenced the minute the driver turned the ignition key to start. 

The Toad recently presided over the 14th Thailand Road Safety Seminar and announced proudly that "Thailand aims to reduce road accidents by half in the next year". Do they really believe their own bulls!t?

The Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob who has ultimate responsibility should be sacked and replaced. He was only ever a Prayut stooge appointment. 

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/08/10/thailand-aims-to-reduce-road-accidents-by-half-in-the-next-year-a-national-road-safety-conference-was-told/

roadsafety2.jpg

15 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Driver was included in the party ????

Speed ? 120 kmph 

Maybe more ;

the simplified calculation for a stopping distance is to square the first or first two digits of the speed;
example at 90 km / h, the stopping distance will be 81 meters (9 x 9);
at 120 km / h it will be 144 meters (12 x 12);
at 140 km it will be 196 meters. ( 14 x 14 )
these calculations from the moment the road is dry;
if rain, we generally multiply these distances by two.

The big problem, the huge problem is that the Thai do not learn these essential elements before going to pass their driving license.

Reading this just makes me sick.

Without wishing to upset the relatives I gotta say that you cannot blame the Police for everything.

It is the ingrained male Thai who just does not have a clue & seem to have no fear.

Obviously going far to fast, overloaded (1 tonne pickup) & driving without due care.

Maybe under the influence as well.

My heart bleeds for the victims

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

It all starts with this ridiculous so called religion of predestination.

Archived