14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

Isaanbiker

2 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

every pick-up has passengers facing the wrong way. Facing forward is deadly. Facing the back of the truck is safer. safest is having the person's back against the cab.

Any person seated in the back of a pick up would not be covered insurance wise

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Fireyfish said:

Very sad and senseless  ... 13 miraculously saved from a flooded cave .... took 2 weeks of heroic effort buy many  with high regard for the well being of others  .... 13 slaughtered in an instant by total disregard for the welfare of others  ... !!!

Good point....

mind you though if left to the Thais all those cave kids would of died plus a good few more rescuers too.

if this kind of thing happened in a modern civilized country. Every measure would be ensured to try to make sure this kind of thing wouldn't happen again.

The Thai government / Authorities will probably just shrug it's shoulders as normal though. 

Tragic for the kids and their families.

41 minutes ago, Fireyfish said:

Very sad and senseless  ... 13 miraculously saved from a flooded cave .... took 2 weeks of heroic effort buy many  with high regard for the well being of others  .... 13 slaughtered in an instant by total disregard for the welfare of others  ... !!!

Yes 13 died in the crash,as usual the people who died later because of the crash are not mentioned.Seventeen young people died .

1 hour ago, ebean001 said:

every pick-up has passengers facing the wrong way. Facing forward is deadly. Facing the back of the truck is safer. safest is having the person's back against the cab.

I hope you meant to say "safest"...with the " and the "!

14 students celebrating end of internship killed in deadly road accident

By The Nation

800_0c64526821358d5.jpg?v=1569829891

Fourteen technical college students were killed and four injured when a pickup flipped over after crashing into a power pole and skidded some 200 metres.

Bangkaew Police Station was informed of the deadly accident in Bang Phli district, Samut Prakan province, in the early hours of Monday. 

The grey Isuzu pickup truck was found flipped over at the scene with 12 dead bodies and six injured inside. Two of the survivors later succumbed to their injuries.

All the victims were students from Si Sa Ket Technical College, who were interning at a factory in Samut Prakan. Technicians from the factory had taken them to a concert to celebrate the end of their internship.

After preliminary investigation, police said that while returning from the concert, the pickup probably raced another car at high speed and the driver is suspected to have lost control of the vehicle, which hit an electricity post, flipped over and skidded for 200 metres.

Reacting to the tragedy, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan told a meeting of the National Olympic Committee that he has been pushing for a ban on passengers sitting on the beds of pickup trucks.

He said that it was hard to solve this problem when people don’t want to implement the law even though the law forbids such practices and there have been concerns about safety. He said the measure will now be reconsidered.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376897

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-30

The Thai Visa "community" have reacted with horror, sorrow, sympathy and urging action.

Can anyone who monitors or reads the Thai online forums report on the tone they are taking - after all it is from them that any impetus for change must come!

Reacting to the tragedy, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan told a meeting of the National Olympic Committee that he has been pushing for a ban on passengers sitting on the beds of pickup trucks.

You people hiding behind the spaghetti over your left hand pocket, under the helicopter pilots wings, can procrastinate as much as you like!:-

Keep trying to ban riding in pickups (what 3 years now?), fix no helmets, fix the brakes, educate the brain dead drivers (as in this case), put CCTV cameras up on every kilometer of road in Thailand to collect revenue etc.etc. and what for? NOTHING!

FIRST FIX is obvious - in your back door. = The corrupt idiots you call police from the top to the Bottom.

Yep, I know. This post is a waste of bandwidth.

51 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

I do hope this makes the govt rethink the ban on people travelling in the back of pick up's,though even if they do will the RTP enforce it,probably not.

Also the overcrowded school minibuses -  i regularly see them filled like sardines with back door ajar and legs dangling out.

2 hours ago, ebean001 said:

Absolutely fantastic information, of course the ultimate position is anywhere external to the back of the ute. 

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, lust said:

Like I said I’m my previous post, most likely racing. Just because someone on here is somehow connected to the victim, we’re supposed to ignore the facts that they were both drunk and street racing? 

Every story posted on here about street racing or drunk driving is met with “ they should be in jail for the rest of the their lives”. And now everyone is tearing up because they are students at a college? 

I have yet to read the age of the driver.  Do you know something that we don't?  Yes the driver was speeding and possibly drunk but we don't know if he was a student or an adult. And surely you're not blaming the poor students in the back of the pick up?

Yes the police could do more,yes the government too but when you have a culture of crass stupidity, mindless disregard for and appreciation of basic safety concerns it really runs so much deeper that. That this appalling tragedy will change absolutely nothing about that mindset is simply reinforcement of Thai society’s failures in this respect. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Very sad.  I wonder what levels the carnage on the roads has to reach in Thailand before government and the people start to act and drive responsibly. ????

The carnage rate is just about the worst in the world so who knows?

What I do know is that many of my Thai friends back in the UK drive and I would get into a car as a passenger with any of them. They stick to speed limits and drive responsibly. Could it be that there are actually consequences if the law is broken there and they realise it?

8 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Could it be that there are actually consequences if the law is broken there and they realise it?

Yes, & a large proportion of Brits would drive like maniacs if it wasn't the case.  Same in any country, if no law enforcement, more crazy driving (maybe not on the scale we see here).

9 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

What I do know is that many of my Thai friends back in the UK drive and I would get into a car as a passenger with any of them. They stick to speed limits and drive responsibly. Could it be that there are actually consequences if the law is broken there and they realise it?

Yes-same with my wife and friends in Australia.

The reason that happy little anarchists suddenly become responsible citizens is plain for all to see.

When my wife went back to Thailand last year she sent me a video of her and her friends in a minibus on a trip to Loei-booze flowing freely,no seatbelts and no brains-the collective Thai hive mind.

1 minute ago, Samuel Smith said:

Yes, & a large proportion of Brits would drive like maniacs if it wasn't the case.  Same in any country, if no law enforcement, more crazy driving (maybe not on the scale we see here).

Which is my whole point now and in previous comments on the appallingly high death stats on Thai roads.

Thailand already has the laws in place to dramatically reduce the road death toll but for whatever reasons the people who are actually in a position to enforce those rules and/or set the agenda choose not to do anything meaningful.

2 hours ago, ebean001 said:

WRONG WRONG WRONG>> Safest way is NO Passengers in the pickup tray.

46 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Its very sad.  Thailand has one of the highest ratio of population to police in the world, but sadly also one of the most useless P forces in the world.

Archived